ImageImage

Hawks pursuing Stan Van Gundy

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

GrimeyKidd
Junior
And1: 4

Hawks pursuing Stan Van Gundy 

Post#1 » by GrimeyKidd » Sat May 11, 2013 1:29 am

The Atlanta Hawks are pursuing Stan Van Gundy for their head coach vacancy.

Danny Ferry and Van Gundy have been in contact, but have yet to meet in person about the opportunity.

The Hawks also plan on pursuing Dwight Howard and there is a growing belief that a reunion would be of interest.

Sources say Van Gundy holds Ferry in high regard.

The Hawks have not made a final decision on Larry Drew, but it is assumed he won't be back unless they are unable to secure a deal with any of their top targets.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect
And1: 92

Re: Hawks pursuing Stan Van Gundy 

Post#2 » by tcorbin » Sat May 11, 2013 1:47 am

I thought that Dwight and Stan didn't have a good relationship?
GrimeyKidd
Junior

Post#3 » by GrimeyKidd » Sat May 11, 2013 1:51 am

tcorbin wrote:I thought that Dwight and Stan didn't have a good relationship?

Im hearing other sources that they mended their relationship off-court. But SVG is a terrific coach regardless of dwight
GrimeyKidd
Junior

Post#4 » by GrimeyKidd » Sat May 11, 2013 1:53 am

tcorbin wrote:I thought that Dwight and Stan didn't have a good relationship?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9263591/atlanta-hawks-target-stan-van-gundy-coach-report
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#5 » by Yungsta404 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 am

whether dwight doesnt like or likes SVG he would be a great hire.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#6 » by NyCeEvO » Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 am

I've always said that the supposed "hate" between D12 and SVG was overblown.

SVG said that he found out through someone in management that D12 wanted him gone. But what often goes unreported was the context with which Stan heard this and how upper management came to the conclusion that D12 wanted SVG gone.

D12 never proactively went to management and said 'Fire Stan'. Before D12 came a free agent, ORL management was desparate to keep him. They basically ran through a number of things that they could do to appease him to make him want to stay.

D12 always had a tumultuous relationship with SVG but he never hated him. During the discussion, the subject of whether getting a new coach would help and at the time Dwight could have said 'Yeah, that could help' and management takes that and runs with it.

For some reason, upper management tells SVG and we know what happens after that.

Just so you know I'm not pulling this out of nowhere, there were numerous reports that ORL told D12 that if he signed an extension, he could decide whether SVG and Otis stay. Here's one example: http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/03/1 ... the-shots/

Since SVG was fired and D12 left Orl, SVG has always defended D12 whenever D12 is criticized. It's clear that they still have a relationship. In fact, SVG ran some sort of charity and called Dwight to ask if he would help out and he did.

As an outsider looking in, I honestly believe that D12 is looking for a reason to leave LA. The guy doesn't want any outside influence to help him determine his decision and he's already called his season in LA a nightmare. Getting SVG would be a good step in the right direction, but I think you guys would need to convince CP3 to force a S&T to you in order to convince D12 to choose ATL over staying in LA or choosing HOU. If CP3 threatens to walk to HOU, LAC could very well be convinced that it's better to get something back for CP3 if he's going to leave and Ferry could offer to S&T Paul to you and you guys S&T Josh to them.

It may sound outlandish, but it's pretty logical and I wouldn't be surprised if CP3 and Dwight seriously consider teaming up after they both were bounced in the first round. D12 is from ATL and CP3 is from North Carolina which is really close by.

Having Stan as a head coach, with CP3, D12, and Horford is a tremendous base.
tcorbin
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by tcorbin » Sat May 11, 2013 4:22 am

If Dwight wants Stan, then i'm all for it, but if the Hawks are going after a big name coach, why not Phil or Sloan?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#8 » by ATL Boy » Sat May 11, 2013 4:42 am

tcorbin wrote:If Dwight wants Stan, then i'm all for it, but if the Hawks are going after a big name coach, why not Phil or Sloan?

Because they don't want to come to Atlanta. Sloan looks like he's staying retired and Phil could coach almost any team in the league if he wanted; sources said that he'd be open to going to a team if he had influence on the roster but there are a lot of ifs about that. For example, what if he wants to make all the decisions? Ferry won't go for that, what if Ferry doesn't want his coach making any decisions? Phil won't go for that. They won't just come here because the fans want them to, I'm sure every team's fans want Sloan or Phil. I'd rather have a great chance at SVG rather than a slim chance at Sloan or Phil.

Anyway, I think this would be a great move by Ferry: I love SVG as a coach and I could care less about if this would help bring in Dwight, but if it would then that's just a nice bonus.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
GrimeyKidd
Junior

Post#9 » by GrimeyKidd » Sat May 11, 2013 4:47 am

ATL Boy wrote:
tcorbin wrote:If Dwight wants Stan, then i'm all for it, but if the Hawks are going after a big name coach, why not Phil or Sloan?

Because they don't want to come to Atlanta. Sloan looks like he's staying retired and Phil could coach almost any team in the league if he wanted; sources said that he'd be open to going to a team if he had influence on the roster but there are a lot of ifs about that. For example, what if he wants to make all the decisions? Ferry won't go for that, what if Ferry doesn't want his coach making any decisions? Phil won't go for that. They won't just come here because the fans want them to, I'm sure every team's fans want Sloan or Phil. I'd rather have a great chance at SVG rather than a slim chance at Sloan or Phil.

Anyway, I think this would be a great move by Ferry: I love SVG as a coach and I could care less about if this would help bring in Dwight, but if it would then that's just a nice bonus.

I concur
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 am

tcorbin wrote:why not Phil or Sloan?

Also, Phil Jackson is 67 years old with numerous health issues. Not to mention that his fiancee lives/works in LA. I suspect PJ is angling for a shot as Lakers or Clippers Head Coach.

Sloan is a great coach, too, but at 71 might be past the point of being a NBA coach full time. I'd hate to be looking for another coach in just 2 years.

Drew as Bobcats or 76ers Coach seem like good fits. (Or maybe the next UGA Coach?!?)
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#11 » by PandaKidd » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 pm

SVG gets hired, then Im feeling REALLY good about us aquiring FA talent in the future.
WD
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#12 » by WD » Sat May 11, 2013 5:53 pm

As a transplant, I feel SVG would be a good hire.....don't hold your breath on DH12
#HEATLifer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Vivlamore at AJC reporting that Quin Snyder no longer a viable candidate for the HC position.
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#14 » by parson » Sat May 11, 2013 10:45 pm

What this means to me is Ferry thinks there's a chance of getting Dwight Howard and that he's going full-bore to do it. It also validates those (like me) who felt many of his earlier moves were with Howard in mind.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
tcorbin
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by tcorbin » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 pm

^ Yeah, since day one, like yourself, i also said that Hawks are going after Dwight after the Joe trade.

Trading away Marvin
Passing on Lamb and drafting Jenkins
Trading for Korver

Don't forget, with all the moves, and recent activities, Ferry is also going after Chris Paul
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 12, 2013 1:05 am

Hawks look for coach with one in hand

The Atlanta Hawks are taking an unconventional approach with their head-coaching position.

Current coach Larry Drew’s contract is up on June 30, and he and team general manager Danny Ferry have held several meetings this week concerning the future. But with the market for coaches wide open, both sides appear to be hedging their bets.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/58139/hawks-look-for-coach-with-one-in-hand
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 14, 2014 6:11 am

One year later...

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Detroit Pistons and Stan Van Gundy have reached agreement in principle on a five-year, $35 million for him to become their head coach and president of basketball operations.

Van Gundy has been out of the NBA over the past two seasons after being fired by the Orlando Magic.Via Marc Stein/ESPN
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233401/Stan-Van-Gundy-Pistons-Agree-On-$35M-Five-Year-Deal

Van Gundy is a hell of a coach. Not sure about his skills as a talent evaluator. But he has some solid pieces to work with in DET. Drummond, KCP....Smoove. If anyone can turn things around, STAN CAN!!!

Any predictions for what they might do next year? They won 30+ games this year, might they make a playoff run next season?
How might this effect Monroe's impending Free Agency?
Can SVG actually get Josh to realize the potential that's slowly slipping away with age?
Anyone disappointed we missed out on Stan?
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#18 » by azuresou1 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 pm

I expect Dwight to sabotage SVG before he even starts by poisoning Josh which will lead to another lost season for Detroit. If I'm SVG I try to get Josh moved ASAP so I can start fresh with young impressionable guys.

As for your last question - no, I'm ecstatic we found Bud, who I believe is already be a Top 5 coach in the league (after Pops, Spoel, possibly Doc, and Jim Carrey)
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#19 » by PandaKidd » Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 pm

They said today via some reputable NBA sources that Monroe will likely be the first person gone. Then Josh Smith
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#20 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:37 pm

Great hire for Detroit. SVG was the main guy that I wanted to get, during our search last year, but I couldn't be happier that we ended up with Coach Bud. I'm just glad that the Pistons signed Jennings and Smith to long-term deals last year because they could have been a serious threat in 2 or 3 years if they didn't.

SVG did a great job developing Dwight and I expect him to do well with Drummond as well. Good luck solving that Smith or Monroe issue though. I don't think any one will be willing to take Smith or Jenning's contract off of their hands for another year or two. I guess they could always sucker the Nets in to it.

Return to Atlanta Hawks