Thaddeus Young requested a trade

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Thaddeus Young requested a trade 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:45 pm

Thaddeus Young has requested a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a trade request to Sam Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing."

Young was excited about the possibility of being traded to the Houston Rockets in a deal for Omer Asik before talks broke apart.

I've watched a fair share of Philly games over the last year plus, but was largely focusing on Evan Turner/Spencer Hawes.

Thaddeus is highly regarded amongst a lot of the beat writers/BBall analysts. He's got good size for a SF. Shoots the 3-pter adequately. Solid defense.

Thoughts on making this guy a part of our Hawks future?

I'd prefer Evan, but his stock is probably the highest it's ever been. Thaddeus could be a nice fit here, though.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Re: Thaddeus Young requested a trade 

Post#2 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:42 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Thaddeus Young has requested a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a trade request to Sam Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing."

Young was excited about the possibility of being traded to the Houston Rockets in a deal for Omer Asik before talks broke apart.

I've watched a fair share of Philly games over the last year plus, but was largely focusing on Evan Turner/Spencer Hawes.

Thaddeus is highly regarded amongst a lot of the beat writers/BBall analysts. He's got good size for a SF. Shoots the 3-pter adequately. Solid defense.

Thoughts on making this guy a part of our Hawks future?

I'd prefer Evan, but his stock is probably the highest it's ever been. Thaddeus could be a nice fit here, though.

He's a tweener. He plays PF for Philly and he would leave us undersized as usual.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:31 am

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:He's a tweener. He plays PF for Philly and he would leave us undersized as usual

In your position, is he then ill-suited to man the SF position Full Time?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#4 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:He's a tweener. He plays PF for Philly and he would leave us undersized as usual

In your position, is he then ill-suited to man the SF position Full Time?

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of him to know for sure. We have had our fair share of tweeners in the past decade and it has never worked out.

My opinion is that he would be a poor man's Josh Smith at the 3. He is a career 33% 3 point shooter and did not even attempt 3's in the previous three years. He is shooting 2 per game this year and averaging a career best 35% though.

I feel like Milsap and Horford are both tweeners and it wouldn't benefit the team to add another.

I think we need an elite SF or a top 5 C who can play on both sides of the floor. If we land either one of these, we will be contending in the East.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#5 » by SBM » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:55 am

It would be a great bench upgrade. He could play 30 minutes by backing up the SF and PF position. Thing is they would probably rather go the cheap and unproven route with Scott backing up PF and Cartier Martin backing up SF. The next problem is what would you give up for him? Brand, Antic, Ayon, Martin, Cunningham, Jenkins, any combination would not be bad but I am almost certain they would want a pick also and that I would not do. Last problem is he would increase our payroll for years to come unless you traded one of our contracts of Millsap, Horford, Korver, or Teague and I am not doing that for him.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#6 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 am

SBM wrote:It would be a great bench upgrade. He could play 30 minutes by backing up the SF and PF position. Thing is they would probably rather go the cheap and unproven route with Scott backing up PF and Cartier Martin backing up SF. The next problem is what would you give up for him? Brand, Antic, Ayon, Martin, Cunningham, Jenkins, any combination would not be bad but I am almost certain they would want a pick also and that I would not do.

I think Scott does just fine at playing the backup SF/PF role. Thad is making 9 million per year. I would rather spend that 8 million on a starter and keep Scott as the backup SF/PF
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#7 » by SBM » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:06 am

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
SBM wrote:It would be a great bench upgrade. He could play 30 minutes by backing up the SF and PF position. Thing is they would probably rather go the cheap and unproven route with Scott backing up PF and Cartier Martin backing up SF. The next problem is what would you give up for him? Brand, Antic, Ayon, Martin, Cunningham, Jenkins, any combination would not be bad but I am almost certain they would want a pick also and that I would not do.

I think Scott does just fine at playing the backup SF/PF role. Thad is making 9 million per year. I would rather spend that 8 million on a starter and keep Scott as the backup SF/PF

Thinking and knowing are different. Scott is unproven and has not done anything positive for a long enough period for you to count on him. We will most likely be a playoff team with the chance to play in the 2nd rd, you need guys you can depend on in those situations. I agree with you though that I don't want Thad's contract that is the major reason he is not a good fit here.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#8 » by azuresou1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Thad is a slightly worse version of Millsap. No sense trading for him, and the asking price would be too high anyways.

Very good player, bad fit.

Return to Atlanta Hawks