Hawks @T-Wolves:Mike Scott starts at SF

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Hawks @T-Wolves:Mike Scott starts at SF 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:03 pm

With the Hawks on a three-game losing streak, coach Mike Budenholzer is changing the starting lineup (in the absence of Kyle Korver). Mike Scott will get his fourth start of the season when the Hawks face the Timberwolves tonight. He will start at the small forward with the regulars of Jeff Teague, DeMarre Carroll, Paul Millsap and Pero Antic.

"Constantly trying to find groups and looking at different things so we are going to give him a shot," was all Budenholzer said about starting Scott.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2014/mar/26/game-thread-scott-gets-start-vs-twolves/

IOnteresting decision for the starting lineup. I kinda thought Lou Williams might get the nod if Korver was still out. See early if he still had the hot hand.

I wonder if Ferry had anything to do with this call. Perhaps see if Mike can handle the 3 spot.

Parsons should be pleased....btw.

Where the hell is Parsons?
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Re: Hawks @T-Wolves:Mike Scott starts at SF 

Post#2 » by Yungsta404 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 pm

I think the change has to do with the matchup. The twolves have big wings. 6,7 kevin martin and 6,9 corey brewer.
Having (6,1) lou guard any of them would be a nightmare.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#3 » by DirtybirdGA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:38 pm

May as well move Carroll down since they have a 6'6-6'7 shooting guard.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 am

MAN, I wish we'd drafted Gorgui Deng. That dude is a f***ing MAN!!!

That's the kind of Center we should have been pursuing last summer.

Not spare parts and finesse players like Ayon and Antic.

13 & 14 in three quarters on 8 shots.

Built like a mack truck, strong as an ox. Came into the league ready to produce.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:47 am

Also, Dennis hasn't yet played through 3 quarters. and the game is not particularly close.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#6 » by Rip2137 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:MAN, I wish we'd drafted Gorgui Deng. That dude is a f***ing MAN!!!

That's the kind of Center we should have been pursuing last summer.

Not spare parts and finesse players like Ayon and Antic.

13 & 14 in three quarters on 8 shots.

Built like a mack truck, strong as an ox. Came into the league ready to produce.

The hindsight is strong with this one. Minnesota was content with him sitting on the bench until all their bigs went down. Now all of a sudden we should have known he was going to be good...come on man.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

Rip2137 wrote:The hindsight is strong with this one. Now all of a sudden we should have known he was going to be good...come on man.

:o I honestly don't know what to say to this. I think you may be mistaken, because I was extremely enamored with Dieng and was very vocal in support of drafting him both directly before AND after the draft.

Jamaaliver-June 26th, 2013:
Jamaaliver wrote:Olynyk in ATL today for a workout. Jeff Withey also reported as a part of the workout.
I prefer Dieng to Olynyk but either big could be a valuable piece going forward.

Jamaaliver-Jun 23rd, 2013:
Jamaaliver wrote:If I knew D12 and CP3 were coming, I'd be drafting immediate contributors who fit we'll next to those guys today! Like Dieng, Bullock, Karasev, Franklin.
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1218560&start=270

Jamaaliver-Jul 8th, 2013:
Jamaaliver wrote:I don't get why people keep saying Dieng is only a short term solution. He is more of a sure ting than Bebe, and is ready to contribute today. His game is akin to Ben Wallace...with Actual offensive talent.

But at age 23, he easily has another 8 years of high level production.

And he is a champion. A proven commodity.

By the time Bebe has developed and strengthened enough to start, he will be Dieng's age.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1262321

There should be more comments I made advocating drafting Dieng. Should I track down more? I'll find more...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Rip2137 wrote:The hindsight is strong with this one. Minnesota was content with him sitting on the bench until all their bigs went down. Now all of a sudden we should have known he was going to be good...come on man.

Jamaaliver-Jul 11th, 2013:
Jamaaliver wrote:I really wish we had drafted Dieng.

What the hell is D Ferry doing?

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1262527&start=15

Jamaaliver-Jun 12th, 2013 In the comments over on Hawkshoop.
Jamaaliver wrote:Dieng would definitely be a welcome addition. Big, strng, NBA ready.
If he had a reliable post game he’d be a top ten pick. As it stands, he is a worthy prospect for the 18th pick.
http://hawkshoop.com/hawkshoop-draft-profile-gorgui-dieng/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Rip2137 wrote:The hindsight is strong with this one. Minnesota was content with him sitting on the bench until all their bigs went down. Now all of a sudden we should have known he was going to be good...come on man.

Jamaaliver June 28, 2013 at 12:20 pm In the comments over at Hawkshoop.
Jamaaliver wrote:Love the Schroeder pick. Would have preferred Dieng over Bebe.
All in all, a solid draft.
http://hawkshoop.com/hawks-draft-lucas-nogueira-and-dennis-schroeder-in-first-round/

Jamaaliver-Jun 27th, 2013:
Jamaaliver wrote:Dieng or Karasev is good. But if we are building for the future...Karasev.
Dieng has a lower level ceiling and is ready to play today at 24.
If we're expecting to contend this season...Dieng.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1258665&start=15

AL_Horford-Jun 27th, 2013: via Chad Ford ESPN Insider (where team's best players choose who'd they would like)
Well documented has been Al Horford's desire to get some front court rotation help that would allow him to move to the power forward position full time.
So, it should come as no surprise that Horford took his opportunity, in ESPN's players only Mock Draft, (Insider required, ESPN Magazine as well) to get that help.

Take it away, GM Al Horford:

17. Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville
Selected by: Al Horford

"Dieng's not just a great shot-blocker," Horford says of the Cardinals center, whose career 84.6 defensive rating ranks first since the 2009-10 season. "But he also alters so many shots. Plus, he's got that championship pedigree."

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/6/27/4471082/nba-mock-draft-2013-espn-al-horford-gorgui-dieng-steven-adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:24 pm

That's more than a half dozen on-the-record comments I made in support of Gorgui Dieng before the draft. Before he ever played an NBA game.

Even Horford mentioned him as a great defensive addition to our team.

That's not hindsight is it?
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by Yungsta404 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Was a fan of drafting dieng after watching him in the national championship game but wasnt sure if he could be a full time starter. he has proved me wrong this guy is an instant double double every night
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#12 » by PandaKidd » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:That's more than a half dozen on-the-record comments I made in support of Gorgui Dieng before the draft. Before he ever played an NBA game.

I really liked Dieng as well and cosigned many of your comments IIRC.

He was worth the risk considering and he was there. BUT, we also havent seen BEBE play yet. So......forward thinking not sure how bad it was to miss on him.

Hurts now because Dieng is playing well and he was there for us to take. But lets also consider the fact that we are looking at a completely short time span with Dieng and he played against a team that doesnt really have any bigs anyways (HAWKS).
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#13 » by D21 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:13 pm

The problem with Scott is that in almost all games, he can look good individually, but will end with the lowest +/- of the team.
On 100 possessions, Korver is at +10pts, Horford, Millsap, Carroll, Teague, Mack, Antic are all in positive values, Brand is at -3.4, Lou who is making a bad season is at -6.8 and Scott is at... -10pts
Nearly each time is on the floor, the team is loosing pts on opponents, and it doesn't seems to improve during the season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:01 pm

D21 wrote:The problem with Scott is that in almost all games, he can look good individually, but will end with the lowest +/- of the team.
On 100 possessions, Scott is at... -10pts
Nearly each time is on the floor, the team is loosing pts on opponents, and it doesn't seems to improve during the season.

Good point. I was very high on Mike Scott a few months ago, but am definitely seeing flaws in his game that could make him a deal breaker. I do think he could fetch us something in trade, particularly if packaged with another tangible asset.

PandaKidd wrote:I really liked Dieng as well and cosigned many of your comments IIRC.

BUT, we also havent seen BEBE play yet. So......forward thinking not sure how bad it was to miss on him.

Hurts now because Dieng is playing well and he was there for us to take. But lets also consider the fact that we are looking at a completely short time span with Dieng.

My biggest gripe with the Bebe pick is that he is literally years away from contributing. Seeing how little time Dennis and Muscala have gotten early under Coach Bud, I'd imagine Bebe gets even less next season. Not to mention that he still needs to bulk up, learn the basics of positioning/boxing out and is not yet fluent in English. The kid is built like a twig and doesn't really know how to play basketball. By the time he is capable of starting, he'll be Dieng's age & AL Horford will be past his prime.

That means AL will have been in the league for almost 10 years and never have been coupled with a big, strong Center. Dieng was never going to be a superstar Center, but I had him pegged as an instant contributor. He'd have been a big help this season, too, with Horfy injured.

PandaKidd wrote: ...and [Dieng] played against a team that doesnt really have any bigs anyways (HAWKS).

Fair enough. But think of it this way: Minny was missing it's starting Center. ATL was missing its starting Center. But Minny's backup dominated all the bigs Ferry acquired last Fall for us. Antic, Brand and Muscala. That's...bad. Very, very bad.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by Yungsta404 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:34 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
My biggest gripe with the Bebe pick is that he is literally years away from contributing. Seeing how little time Dennis and Muscala have gotten early under Coach Bud, I'd imagine Bebe gets even less next season. Not to mention that he still needs to bulk up, learn the basics of positioning/boxing out and is not yet fluent in English. The kid is built like a twig and doesn't really know how to play basketball. By the time he is capable of starting, he'll be Dieng's age & AL Horford will be past his prime.

That means AL will have been in the league for almost 10 years and never have been coupled with a big, strong Center. Dieng was never going to be a superstar Center, but I had him pegged as an instant contributor. He'd have been a big help this season, too, with Horfy injured.

You know whats funny? Al actually wanted us to draft Dieng which makes passing on him even worst.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/6/27 ... even-adams

As you can see AL wanted us to take TWO nba ready centers in the draft. He desperately wants to play PF. If we remain status quo for the next season or two I definitely see him trying force his way out during his contract year or walking in free agency.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#16 » by Rip2137 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:That's more than a half dozen on-the-record comments I made in support of Gorgui Dieng before the draft. Before he ever played an NBA game.

Not at all and I stand corrected. Good call there sir.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#17 » by Rip2137 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:28 pm

D21 wrote:The problem with Scott is that in almost all games, he can look good individually, but will end with the lowest +/- of the team.
On 100 possessions, Korver is at +10pts, Horford, Millsap, Carroll, Teague, Mack, Antic are all in positive values, Brand is at -3.4, Lou who is making a bad season is at -6.8 and Scott is at... -10pts

The funny thing is, he has one of the strongest post games on the team but he has become this spot up three point shooter.

Defensively, he is really great on the post, both denying the ball and playing a guy...anywhere else on the court he looks lost. Things he surely needs to work on.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:30 pm

So....ESPN is so enamored with Dieng, they're now predicting the he actually makes Pekovic dispensable.

Rookie center Gorgui Dieng could become critical part of Wolves' future

The Timberwolves' best news, though, has come in the form of their rookie center out of Louisville, Gorgui Dieng, who has exploded onto the scene and will now play a huge role in Minnesota's future plans -- a role that could also have a big impact on Love's decision whether to stay in the Twin Cities.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10730124/rookie-watch-gorgui-dieng-missing-piece-wolves

I have had reservations about Ferry's decision-making for a while now. But seeing how badly Dennis has performed, knowing how far away Bebe is from contributing and seeing Dieng potentially altering the course of a moribund Minnesota franchise has officially pushed me to the diesel point of view.

I believe having Dieng on the roster this year not only saves this season, but finally allows us to see Horford (in his prime) playing at PF.

we squandered this on a 21 year old twig who still doesn't even know how to play basketball.

Lottery pick or not this summer, I'm actually fairly concerned that Ferry is going to mess up this year's draft pick as well. I have just that little confidence in him right now.

No superstars, no top young talent, losing team, waning fanbase...but at least we have Paul Millsap for another year....... :nonono:

Return to Atlanta Hawks