ImageImage

Teague showcasing talents on national stage

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Teague showcasing talents on national stage 

Post#21 » by azuresou1 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

SBM wrote:Once again the Teague hate is silly. I just saw Chris Paul foul a 3 point shooter, turn the ball over in the backcourt, and turn the ball over on the last play without getting a shot. Never saw Teague be that bad under pressure or make that many mistakes within a short period of time costing his team the game.

Where do you see Teague hate? Does objectivity qualify as "hate" in your book?

BTW, who did Chris Paul foul and get stripped by? That's right, Russell Westbrook.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#22 » by SBM » Wed May 14, 2014 9:25 pm

azuresou1 wrote:
SBM wrote:Once again the Teague hate is silly. I just saw Chris Paul foul a 3 point shooter, turn the ball over in the backcourt, and turn the ball over on the last play without getting a shot. Never saw Teague be that bad under pressure or make that many mistakes within a short period of time costing his team the game.

BTW, who did Chris Paul foul and get stripped by? That's right, Russell Westbrook.

Please Teague hate has been rampant for years around these places. Always something about what he isn't at what someone else is. Westbrook one day. Kyrie the next day. All that dreaming and downing your own guy. Kyrie has never done anything and has a team full of lottery picks. Keep wishing upon a star for Dennis to become better than Teague and for us to pull of a trade for some all-star PG when PG is not our main need
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#23 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm

SBM wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:

Please Teague hate has been rampant for years around these places. Always something about what he isn't at what someone else is. Westbrook one day. Kyrie the next day. All that dreaming and downing your own guy. Kyrie has never done anything and has a team full of lottery picks. Keep wishing upon a star for Dennis to become better than Teague and for us to pull of a trade for some all-star PG when PG is not our main need

I agree with everything you're saying but wanting westbrook is not a slight to teague. Westbrook is a top 5 player in this league. If you have a chance to get him, you have to go for it. Outside of westbrook, I prefer to stay with teague than that overrated bum kyrie or any one else

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#24 » by Rip2137 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:54 am

I just don't think Westbrook is a top 5 player in this league.

And again, its not that I don't think he is better, because he is. I don't think he is TWICE as good as Teague which is what we would be paying him. We need to address the wing and the Center. Spending 15 million on the point guard position wouldn't help either of those positions and I am not 100% sure that Westbrook would make his TEAMATES better.

If westbrook was making, say, 12 million, I would be all over him. And if you want to make the big news splash, like I said in another thread, Westbrook and Collison for Horford and Teague makes sense for both teams. I wouldn't like it, but I sure as hell would enjoy watching him play for us.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#25 » by azuresou1 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:16 am

What Top 10 player can you get for 12 million, outside of rookies? Westbrook at $15M is UNDERPAID.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#26 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Rip2137 wrote:I just don't think Westbrook is a top 5 player in this league.

And again, its not that I don't think he is better, because he is. I don't think he is TWICE as good as Teague which is what we would be paying him. We need to address the wing and the Center. Spending 15 million on the point guard position wouldn't help either of those positions and I am not 100% sure that Westbrook would make his TEAMATES better.

If westbrook was making, say, 12 million, I would be all over him. And if you want to make the big news splash, like I said in another thread, Westbrook and Collison for Horford and Teague makes sense for both teams. I wouldn't like it, but I sure as hell would enjoy watching him play for us.

Westbrook would most certainly make his teammates better. Don't judge his abilities, on that level, by watching him play with OKC because he is basically playing 2.5 vs. 5. Thabo and Kendrick provide absolutely nothing on offense and Ibaka is hit or miss. OKC has poor spacing and their players just stand around and watch the ball. Put him on a team that has elite spacing and elite off-ball movement and he would dominate even more so than he is now.

It's all a moot point though, because I highly doubt OKC would ever consider moving him.

In the trade you mentioned, I would take out Collison and add Adams.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#27 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Teague sure as heck looked way better against the Pacers than John Wall did. All I ever hear is potential potential potential with a lot of these players but it doesn't hurt to look at current results sometimes either.
SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by SBM » Fri May 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Westbrook is definitely better than Teague but he is not worth Teague and Horford. I would reluctantly give them something like Teague, Dennis, Bebe, and a 1st for Westbrook.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pnlcdu6

Exchange Bebe for Jenkins in that example.

Honestly, I would rather keep Teague and realize he is a good 3rd option and could be great at this point in his career as a 4th option.

Horford Option A
Teague Option D

Find two more players better than Teague and you have a contender.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#29 » by Yungsta404 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:19 pm

SBM wrote:Westbrook is definitely better than Teague but he is not worth Teague and Horford. I would reluctantly give them something like Teague, Dennis, Bebe, and a 1st for Westbrook.

Honestly, I would rather keep Teague and realize he is a good 3rd option and could be great at this point in his career as a 4th option.

Horford Option A
Teague Option D

Horford isnt a number 1 option. Hes a fringe all star. He doesnt have the offensive skills to be 1 option. He cant create his own shot or create for others so he can be taken out of the game offensively pretty easily when defenses are focused on him.

If the trade was horford and teague for westbrook, I would do that trade easily, you dont get many opportunities to get a top 5-10 player who is just entering his prime.

Neither teague or horford have the ability to carry a team and play at an ALL NBA level the way westbrook can. That kind of talent is what the hawks have been missing for years and what has separated us from being a contender and a pretender.
SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by SBM » Fri May 16, 2014 10:12 pm

Yungsta404 wrote:
SBM wrote:Westbrook is definitely better than Teague but he is not worth Teague and Horford. I would reluctantly give them something like Teague, Dennis, Bebe, and a 1st for Westbrook.

Horford Option A
Teague Option D

Horford isnt a number 1 option. Hes a fringe all star. He doesnt have the offensive skills to be 1 option. He cant create his own shot or create for others so he can be taken out of the game offensively pretty easily when defenses are focused on him.

If the trade was horford and teague for westbrook, I would do that trade easily, you dont get many opportunities to get a top 5-10 player who is just entering his prime.

Neither teague or horford have the ability to carry a team and play at an ALL NBA level the way westbrook can. That kind of talent is what the hawks have been missing for years and what has separated us from being a contender and a pretender.

Disagree 100%. Horford will make 5-7 all-star teams in his career. Teague may sneak into 1 or 2. That's too much for Westbrook. Carmelo, Deron Williams when he was considered top 2 PG's in the league did not get that type of haul. The last person to get close to that haul was Shaq for Odom and Caron Butler.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by Yungsta404 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 pm

SBM wrote:
Yungsta404 wrote:

Horford Option A
Teague Option D

Disagree 100%. Horford will make 5-7 all-star teams in his career. Teague may sneak into 1 or 2. That's too much for Westbrook. Carmelo, Deron Williams when he was considered top 2 PG's in the league did not get that type of haul. The last person to get close to that haul was Shaq for Odom and Caron Butler.

AL making 5 more all star games is unlikely. This guy will be turning 28 in less than a month, also with him having all these weird season ending injuries and removing the center position from the all star ballet, the position where he has made it both times, only lessen his chances but thats not my main point.

my point was neither teague or horford are top notch performers like westbrook. This guy has been consistently carrying his team to victorys during these playoffs. During the times where durant has disappeared,this guy has put the team on his back and single-handedly won them games. Neither horford or teague has shown the ability to take over games like westbrook can. Having a player with that kind of ability is rare and needed if you want to succeed at the highest level.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,258

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Westbrook is on such a higher level than Teague, it's unbelievable.

True story, OKC has only lost one playoff series in the past 3 years when both Russ and KD are available.

But you seriously wouldn't even consider bringing the guy in? The kid has been dominant and is well on his way to being a superstar as he enters his prime.

He may not be top 5, but he's easily top 10 and ascending. Growign right before our eyes.

We have to stop being so content with middling players that we won't even consider acquiring a true young superstar using our 2nd and 3rd tier talent to do so.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#33 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPN_Numbers/status/471494725934272512[/tweet]

Westbrook is on such a higher level than Teague, it's unbelievable.

True story, OKC has only lost one playoff series in the past 3 years when both Russ and KD are available.

But you seriously wouldn't even consider bringing the guy in? The kid has been dominant and is well on his way to being a superstar as he enters his prime.

He may not be top 5, but he's easily top 10 and ascending. Growign right before our eyes.

We have to stop being so content with middling players that we won't even consider acquiring a true young superstar using our 2nd and 3rd talent to do so.

Like I was saying before, I would give Teague and Horford for Westy. We will never get that chance though. He would be a terror in our system with shooters surrounding him. Westbrook is what a true superstar looks like. He has the heart of a lion and is just a straight dog. He's not backing down from any one and he's going straight for your throat.

He's already top 5 for me. It didn't take last night's game for me to have him there either. In no particular order, mine are: Lebron, KD, Westy, Howard, Melo. Anthony Davis will be creeping up on this list before too long.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by Yungsta404 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Westbrook has arguably been the 2nd /3rd player in the whole post season and this guy is only 25. He has barely scratched the surface of his prime.

The whole, "I wont trade teague for him because he makes X amount of money or AL even though he has had multiple season ending injuries", argument is looking very comical.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Now comes this nugget from Chad Ford at ESPN Insiders:

However, the Hawks are also not completely sold on Jeff Teague and could explore the market for him this summer. That's led to them to take long looks at both Shabazz Napier and Payton at No. 15 if something materializes in the next few days. Napier, especially, seems to have gained momentum in workouts the past few weeks and sources say he's moved into a strong possibility in Atlanta.
http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014-nba-draft/2014/6/23/5834512/shabazz-napier-atlanta-hawks-nba-mock-draft

I can't see us using another top 20 pick on a PG this soon. But his comment about Hawks not being sold on Teague completely does seem to vibe with JT0 being in trade rumors back in February. Or with the fact Ferry showed hesitation in matching Teague's offer sheet.

Teague isn't a bad PG, so trading him for an unknown PG like Elfrid or Napier seems unlikely. Especially with Dennis still onboard.

But the tea leaves indicate we might actually be dangling JT0 in trade talks this summer in a concerted attempt to improve the talent on this team.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#36 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Now comes this nugget from Chad Ford at ESPN Insiders:

However, the Hawks are also not completely sold on Jeff Teague and could explore the market for him this summer. That's led to them to take long looks at both Shabazz Napier and Payton at No. 15 if something materializes in the next few days. Napier, especially, seems to have gained momentum in workouts the past few weeks and sources say he's moved into a strong possibility in Atlanta.
http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014-nba-draft/2014/6/23/5834512/shabazz-napier-atlanta-hawks-nba-mock-draft

I can't see us using another top 20 pick on a PG this soon. But his comment about Hawks not being sold on Teague completely does seem to vibe with JT0 being in trade rumors back in February. Or with the fact Ferry showed hesitation in matching Teague's offer sheet.

Teague isn't a bad PG, so trading him for an unknown PG like Elfrid or Napier seems unlikely. Especially with Dennis still onboard.

But the tea leaves indicate we might actually be dangling JT0 in trade talks this summer in a conerted attempt to improve the talent on this team.

Chad Ford has a history of being clueless about the Hawks. Napier would be a big reach at #15 as well. Teague will be a Hawk on opening day.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:44 pm

And again, its not that I don't think he is better, because he is. I don't think he is TWICE as good as Teague which is what we would be paying him.

Rip2137 wrote:8 million for Teague > 14.5 million for Westbrook.

I am curious, with Westbrook's overall performance in last post-season, this regular season and particularly this month...has he been elevated in your mind at all?

With OKC's best player out, he has stepped up his production to levels not seen in decades. Hall of Fame Caliber numbers.

Triple-double machine in February
Russell Westbrook’s three straight triple-doubles to close the month make him the first player to do that since LeBron James in March 2009. In fact, he’s only the fourth player in the past 20 years to record three straight triple-doubles, joining James, Jason Kidd and Grant Hill.

Westbrook joins Big O
Russell Westbrook finished the month of February averaging 31.2 PPG, 9.1 RPG and 10.3 APG in 12 games. He’s just the second player in NBA history to average 30 points, 9 rebounds and 10 assists per game for a calendar month with at least 10 games played. He joins Oscar Robertson, who had eight such months in his career.

Westbrook’s 20-10 games
Westbrook has at least 20 points and 10 assists in six straight games. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the only other active player who has put together a streak like that is Chris Paul, who had a seven-game streak in 2008-09 for New Orleans.

I've followed this team for almost 20 years. I've never seen a Hawk player put together a stretch like this:

Read on Twitter

I'm not sure there are 5 players on the entire planet I'd rank ahead of Russell Westbrook right now.
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Teague showcasing talents on national stage 

Post#38 » by Hawks champs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
I'm not sure if there's one player I'd rank ahead of Westbrook. Dude is incredible.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#39 » by Rip2137 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:30 am

LOL. NO it hasn't changed my mind.

Some people continue to be impressed by losing stats. Look, a lot of guys can put up great numbers when they get in a 100% iso, only pass when it is an assist, high usage situation. But what is the teams record when Russell is playing?

Hawks are 42-12 when Teague plays, THunder are 28-17 when Russell plays. Yes, he is putting up HUGE numbers with HUGE usage and HUGE shot attempts. He still isn't worth TWICE what Teague is making. 14.6 million is, what, Teague, Schroder, Carroll and Thabo's salary(alittle less but still)?

In no salary cap world, sure I would love Westbrook over Teague. Would I sacrifice the difference in salaries for a one way player that isn't at a position of need? No.

IF we were talking Anthony Davis vs Paul Milsap, I am with you. We talking Wesley Matthews vs Kyle Korver(yeah...I said it) then we might have a conversation. But Russell Westbrook in a competent offense is a 22-7-5 guy. GREAT numbers. But that much more than 17-8-2? No.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#40 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 3:50 am

Westbrook has been playing some of the worst basketball since Iverson and Steve Francis. His TS% has been one of the worst in the league among PGs and he is turning the ball over 5 times a game. He dominates the ball on every play and plays "me" ball all the time.

His defense has also been one of the worst among PGs in the NBA this season.

Westbrook is a good talent, and you can build a team around him but if you did, you would have to build a team similar to what the sixers put around Iverson back in the day. Maybe he can but, Westbrook hasn't shown he can play unselfish basketball like in Budz's system or San Antonio

Return to Atlanta Hawks