ESPN reporting Hawks interested in Greg Monroe

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Re: ESPN reporting Hawks interested in Greg Monroe 

Post#81 » by Joe Berry » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Joe Asberry wrote:I doubt Monroe will sign the QO. If reports are true Pistons offered him 12 mil per season. He would give up 6.5 mil next year alone signing the QO and a lot more guaranteed longterm money looking for the max deal he wants.

Payne + Millsap for S&T longterm Monroe. I think thats a fair deal considering Millsap's contract status & age compared to Monroe.

:-?

No thanks. We'll pass.

But it's very telling that Monroe hasn't signed on with DET long-term. Clearly there are still concerns. Everyday that passes makes it more likely Pistons have to accept something in a Sign-and-Trade and getting an All Star at a position of need seems better than nothing.

Anything you think DET is willing to give up KCP for? Adreian? Teague?

Like i said if Millsap was signed for longer than 1 season a straight up deal Monroe-Millsap would be just fine. Monroe is 5 years younger but not yet on Millsaps production level, but he has all-star talent i think. And he would be a better fit at center next to Horford.
And Millsap would certainly be a better fit next to Drummond, but if you get a longterm signed Monroe and the Pistons only get one year of Millsap who can leave then thats not a fair deal imo.

I think KCP is a building block next to Drummond. SG is a very thin position in the NBA, KCP has all the tools to be a very good SG (at least defensively) and he just put up like 25,5,5 in summer league. Only his 2nd year in the NBA, he is going nowhere in my opinion.
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#82 » by Joe Berry » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:44 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Joe Asberry wrote:How about Millsap + Teague for S&T Monroe + Jennings? Millsap will be a free agent in 2015 and sure wants a big payday, that doesn't exactly improve his value for the Pistons if he is gone in one year.
If Millsap is not part of a S&T for Monroe Korver has to be included. Korver + Teague for Monroe + Jennings?

No way and no thanks. I would rather just offer Monroe 13 million a year out right.

You are not getting Monroe for 13 mil per year. Pistons would match such an offer, they don't want to let go Monroe without getting value back. Monroe's agent made it pretty clear he wants a max deal. 4y/61 mil.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:46 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:The problem is that Monroe can play his cards right, sign the QO and just walk away from Detroit next summer for nothing.

It's risky.
An injury or a bad performance could cost him dearly.

Yes. Yes it is. Depends on how much he wants out of DET.

Worth noting, we have reportedly moved on:

Greg Monroe‘s interest in returning to the Pistons isn’t too strong, but while Detroit talked with the Hawks and perhaps the Suns about sign-and-trades involving him, those teams have moved on, as Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports told podcaster Aimee Mukendi Jr.
http://hawkshoop.com/wojnarowski-hawks-discussed-monroe-trade/

I'm approaching the point where I have 0 trust in DF to get a top player he pursues.
kbrow20
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#84 » by kbrow20 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 11:09 am

I mean the best thing you could do if you really want Monroe would be to move Milsap too.

Boston get Milsap + Bynum
Detroit get Green + Schroder
Hawks get Monroe + Young

Dk if that would be a reasonable deal for all three.
RightToCensor wrote:Rubio is just too damn inefficient to be a team's primary option for offense. He needs to play in a system offense for you to get the best out of him. Trade him to New York, Dallas, or any other team that could use a poor-man's Rajon Rondo.
Really LOL
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#85 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 12:34 pm

Joe Asberry wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
Joe Asberry wrote:How about Millsap + Teague for S&T Monroe + Jennings? Millsap will be a free agent in 2015 and sure wants a big payday, that doesn't exactly improve his value for the Pistons if he is gone in one year.
If Millsap is not part of a S&T for Monroe Korver has to be included. Korver + Teague for Monroe + Jennings?

No way and no thanks. I would rather just offer Monroe 13 million a year out right.

You are not getting Monroe for 13 mil per year. Pistons would match such an offer, they don't want to let go Monroe without getting value back. Monroe's agent made it pretty clear he wants a max deal. 4y/61 mil.

I'm okay with that, i really don't care if Monroe goes to the Hawks anyway. He is really not worth more than 11 million per.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#86 » by coordinator0 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:54 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm okay with that, i really don't care if Monroe goes to the Hawks anyway. He is really not worth more than 11 million per.

That's probably what Detroit thinks too and why a new contract hasn't been agreed upon with Monroe. Apparently they're fine with matching a larger offer sheet but the Pistons aren't going to give him that much money themselves.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#87 » by D21 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:10 pm

With the last numbers, this what we could offer to Monroe (would certainly be matched by DET) :
- 21.53M for 2 years
- 33.01M for 3 years
- 44.96M for 4 years

We can waive Muscala and offer 0.4M more each year, or if we wait three weeks and add Payne in a sign-&-trade, we get 1.8M more for each year :
- 25.33M for 2 years
- 38.83M for 3 years
- 52.89M for 4 years

I continue to think that :
- Monroe would prefer to play for ATL at C than continue to play PF and backup C with DET
- DET knows they are better with Drummond/Smith or Monroe/Smith than Drummond/Monroe so they should look to trade Drummond or Monroe if they can't trade Smith (to add value to Smith, it would require a good year from him which means one year at PF only, so without Drummond or Monroe)

I'm afraid that if they agree to sign-&-trade Monroe, and decide to mainly play Drummond/Smith, they will need a SF and will ask for Carroll more than Payne. Millsap would create the same kind of problem for DET (two PF, instead of two C), and would like to see a C/PF combo of Monroe/Horford/Millsap for some months before deciding to trade Millsap.

Last point, if Millsap is traded this summer, it would send a message like "hey good players, you can sign here for 2 years contracts, but we will trade you after one year" which is the opposite message of what Ferry told to the press some days ago, talking about building and keeping players that fit the system.
Years80HAWKS
Junior
And1: 42

Post#88 » by Years80HAWKS » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:02 pm

If DET is ok with Monroe for Payne/Carroll, then I am ok and Ferry should be ok.

We can live without Carroll, and more once we have Sefolosha. Even I believe he was signed just to make Carroll tradeable.

We could find a SF even if both are gone. To get a player like Monroe without giving Millsap is worth it to give Carroll, Payne, Schöeder...

I would just not trade Horford, Millsap, Korver, of course, and Teague.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 8, 2014 4:24 pm

There is renewed speculation that Greg Monroe is still in play for Atlanta. With a recent report that the announcement will be made any day.

Speculation about Detroit Piston big man Greg Monroe has been going on for sometime now, and it looks like he will be heading to the Atlanta Hawks pretty soon, according to people close to his situation. - See more at: http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/52 ... 5eSoC.dpuf

While this source is unproven, it actually makes some sense in light of recent Hawks moves. We still haven't signed Mike Scott and Shelvin Mack officially, thus preserving a huge chunk of cap space. The fact that we brought Mike Scott back at all in a crowded rotation at PF, makes more sense if we're losing one of our current PFs in a sign and trade for Monroe.

The fact that we've heard rumors of our interest for months now, that Monroe is still unsigned, and that we have preserved a huge amount of cap space does seem to reason we're still in play for a run at the big guy.

I wonder if Payne is a part of these trade talks, and since he signed with us he can't be traded for another two weeks.

SIDENOTE: I'd love it if we could bring in KCP, as well. In the right system, that young man could approach All Star production.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#90 » by SBM » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:03 pm

If we have to lose Sap it really does not make us better.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#91 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:There is renewed speculation that Greg Monroe is still in play for Atlanta. With a recent report that the announcement will be made any day.

Speculation about Detroit Piston big man Greg Monroe has been going on for sometime now, and it looks like he will be heading to the Atlanta Hawks pretty soon, according to people close to his situation. - See more at: http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/52 ... 5eSoC.dpuf

While this source is unproven, it actually makes some sense in light of recent Hawks moves. We still haven't signed Mike Scott and Shelvin Mack officially, thus preserving a huge chunk of cap space. The fact that we brought Mike Scott back at all in a crowded rotation at PF, makes more sense if we're losing one of our current PFs in a sign and trade for Monroe.

The fact that we've heard rumors of our interest for months now, that Monroe is still unsigned, and that we have preserved a huge amount of cap space does seem to reason we're still in play for a run at the big guy.

I wonder if Payne is a part of these trade talks, and since he signed with us he can't be traded for another two weeks.

SIDENOTE: I'd love it if we could bring in KCP, as well. In the right system, that young man could approach All Star production.

That article is from a Christian news website and seems to be pretty inaccurate.

This is my favorite quote. "Monroe nearly averaged a triple double last year, even on a team that never really came together as a solid unit"

He also rewords Woj's tweet to make it sound like ATL is still in play when Woj said that all 3 of the teams had called it quits on a Monroe deal.

and then they suggest that we give Millsap and Korver in exchange for a maxed out Monroe. The author clearly has no clue how Ferry operates.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#92 » by PandaKidd » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:37 pm

Cant see them trading Korver, Millsap is a given, but not Korver.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#93 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:51 pm

I'd be more excited about bringing on the former NCAA Georgia Bulldog Kentavious Caldwell-Pope then I would be for Monroe
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 8, 2014 7:52 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:That article is from a Christian news website and seems to be pretty inaccurate.
The author clearly has no clue how Ferry operates.

Ironically, this is what makes me believe there is some truth to it. The fact that it's NOT some sports blog with tons of speculation, but instead a Christian Magazine with zero ties to the Pistons or the NBA in general.

Why would a Religious publication even be reporting a story like this? Clearly they have limited knowledge of sports and NBA transactions. (Mistakenly referring to a TRIPLE-Double instead of a DOUBLE-Double.)

It makes me wonder if they were fed this story from a peripheral source. i.e. Monroe put his house for sale in anticipation of a move. Or, he's indicated he will no longer be a part of this church in DET as he expects to relocate shortly.

If this was simply Fansided on a Hawks/Pistons site, I'd have ignored it completely. But the absurdity of this publication reporting on this makes me wonder if their might be some validity.

That, our cpa space, our unsigned Free Agents, Monroe's uncertain situation and ill-fit with Drummond. It makes sense.

But it is, admittedly, just speculation. And Ferry doesn't exactly have a proven track record of enacting trades that IMPROVE our roster.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#95 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 10:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:That article is from a Christian news website and seems to be pretty inaccurate.
The author clearly has no clue how Ferry operates.

Ironically, this is what makes me believe there is some truth to it. The fact that it's NOT some sports blog with tons of speculation, but instead a Christian Magazine with zero ties to the Pistons or the NBA in general.

Why would a Religious publication even be reporting a story like this? Clearly they have limited knowledge of sports and NBA transactions. (Mistakenly referring to a TRIPLE-Double instead of a DOUBLE-Double.)

It makes me wonder if they were fed this story from a peripheral source. i.e. Monroe put his house for sale in anticipation of a move. Or, he's indicated he will no longer be a part of this church in DET as he expects to relocate shortly.

If this was simply Fansided on a Hawks/Pistons site, I'd have ignored it completely. But the absurdity of this publication reporting on this makes me wonder if their might be some validity.

That, our cpa space, our unsigned Free Agents, Monroe's uncertain situation and ill-fit with Drummond. It makes sense.

But it is, admittedly, just speculation. And Ferry doesn't exactly have a proven track record of enacting trades that IMPROVE our roster.

You are looking way too far in to this. This is a national Christian site. Its not Detroit based. He also posted an article about us landing deng and monroe earlier in the offseason.

If you would spend even a half second checking out the site, you would realize that he is their sports columnist and he posts all types of rumors and sports articles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 12:07 am

^ Can't somebody just looks at the other past articles from this Christian paper and see if they right in the past. I really don't care if you are a paper, magazine, blog, Christian, Muslim, but if you have a track record of being right then we can pay attention.

Did they write articles in the past like "Lebron in LA", or "Melo to Chicago", or did they do actual reporting and put out articles like "Cavs an option for Lebron", or "NYC too much for Melo to pass up"???
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#97 » by PandaKidd » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:26 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nba/ ... um=twitter

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#98 » by PandaKidd » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:27 pm

Monroe to "sort things out" this weekend.

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#99 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:51 pm

From a live Chat Transcript over at HoopsRumors;

Comment From Kevin
Do the Hawks have a legitimate chance at acquiring Greg Monroe? Any way they consider trading Paul Millsap since he will be a free agent at the end of next season and he will most likely want more money than what the Hawks are willing to pay.

4:54
Yes, most certainly. See the answer to my question about why the Sixers are saving cap room for an answer. The Hawks could wind up offloading salary to the Sixers to facilitate a sign-and-trade deal for Monroe (although the Hawks wouldn't have to offload much, since they already have some cap room of their own).
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/08/hoops-rumors-live-chat-4-pm-ct-13.html

Could this be the delay in our pursuit for a final big man to add to the rotation? Working with a 3rd team?

If we pull MOnroe and still manage to keep millap...THAT will indeed be a real coup for D Ferry.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Horford get 12 million, Noah gets 12 million...... it really boggles the mind to think that Monroe could get 13 million or more.

Return to Atlanta Hawks