ImageImage

The Right time to make a BIG Move

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: The Right time to make a BIG Move 

Post#241 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I remember all the stuff coming out about Rose this time last year about how he looked fantastic, he was dunking . I seem to remember he was favoring his bad leg a little , but then he came out and shot like 30% from the field.

I will believe it when I see him play. In the NBA.

I think the year off was good for him, I think he had another year to trust his leg, and clear his head. I think he has more to prove now than ever before.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#242 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:43 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I remember all the stuff coming out about Rose this time last year about how he looked fantastic, he was dunking . I seem to remember he was favoring his bad leg a little , but then he came out and shot like 30% from the field.

I will believe it when I see him play. In the NBA.

I think the year off was good for him, I think he had another year to trust his leg, and clear his head. I think he has more to prove now than ever before.

I also remember the reports from last off-season of Rose having added a consistent 3 pt shot to his arsenal. They were also saying that he had actually added a couple of inches to his vertical jump. We all saw how that panned out.

I hope he regains his health and has a successful career from here on out, but it seems like the odds could be against him. He's only played in 49 games since May of 2011.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#243 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I know his knees arent like Bynum or Oden, chronic degenerating, but we can kind of look at RW as someone who recovered quickly. RW plays very similar, now RW never had an ACL, but he had meniscus issues right?

Rose , the odds are stacked against him because its NEVER good if a GUARD has knee problems like that at such a young age.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#244 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

USA Today reports the Rockets have "lined up" trades for Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, but will execute them only if they can't land LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency.

Think we are 1 of them?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#245 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:25 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
USA Today reports the Rockets have "lined up" trades for Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, but will execute them only if they can't land LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency.

Think we are 1 of them?

That quote has to be a typo. Shouldn't it be "only if they can land LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency"
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#246 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:37 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:

Think we are 1 of them?

That quote has to be a typo. Shouldn't it be "only if they can land LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony in free agency"

Kinda

If they land lebron and Melo pretty sure both have to be annexed for salary reasons.

if they DONT land LBJ or MELO they will keep both of them, but even the article suggests something has to happen because they need to add something
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#247 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:41 am

Asik , chandler off the board. 2 centers down

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#248 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:22 am

Gortat?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#249 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:29 am

I'm glad. No need to blow all of our cap on a big and thats what would have happened with either of those.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#250 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:41 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I'm glad. No need to blow all of our cap on a big and thats what would have happened with either of those.

I would have taken Chandler for Lou Williams and Muscala/Bebe

Cap Space is meaningless if you dont use it.

Having said that, cant pass judgement until AFTER we see what happens tonight and in FA. NO just got much stronger with Asik.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#251 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:54 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I'm glad. No need to blow all of our cap on a big and thats what would have happened with either of those.

I would have taken Chandler for Lou Williams and Muscala/Bebe

Cap Space is meaningless if you dont use it.

Having said that, cant pass judgement until AFTER we see what happens tonight and in FA. NO just got much stronger with Asik.

N.O. just became a playoff team in my opinion. It looks like they may have to trade Ryan Anderson for Gerald Green to open up some cap space for the Asik trade. They are going to be tough if they can move Eric Gordon and use that money on another player.

The West is going to be ridiculously deep this year. The Mavs also improved last night and the Rockets opened up space for a chance to improve.

Chandler is a nice player but I just think that Ferry and Bud are interested in guys who are talented on offense. I don't see them ever paying big bucks for a guy who offers nothing on that end. He wouldn't have been a bad pickup but I would rather use the money on a player that would actually be on the court at the end of games. I don't see Chandler playing over Milsap or Horford in crunch time unless Horford tears his 3rd pec.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#252 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:58 pm

I mean I would not have come in here saying we were the KINGS of the EC now if we had traded for Chandler OR Asik, but we all agree a C is needed for us, and 2 just went. Nothing more, nothing less.

Im not really enthused about either, but I could have seen Asik playing well here. Chandler I still think has something left.

NO I think def just became a playoff team, they still have moves to make
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#253 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I mean I would not have come in here saying we were the KINGS of the EC now if we had traded for Chandler OR Asik, but we all agree a C is needed for us, and 2 just went. Nothing more, nothing less.

Im not really enthused about either, but I could have seen Asik playing well here. Chandler I still think has something left.

NO I think def just became a playoff team, they still have moves to make

Their contracts would have fit well with us also if we did choose that route since they only have one year left. We would still have our max cap space for next season when our chances of landing a big name should be more realistic.

Orlando just traded Afflalo to Denver for Fournier. The West keeps getting deeper.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#254 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Chandler is a nice player but I just think that Ferry and Bud are interested in guys who are talented on offense. I don't see them ever paying big bucks for a guy who offers nothing on that end. He wouldn't have been a bad pickup but I would rather use the money on a player that would actually be on the court at the end of games.

It's worth remembering that Chandler was a pretty important part of Dallas Championship team. Going through the Lakers, Thunder and Heat to do it.

in the right system, under the right Coach, Chandler can play heavy minutes in crunch time.

And since we have a Tyson Chandler clone as our Center of the future, we should probably embrace this type of player pretty quickly.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#255 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Chandler is a nice player but I just think that Ferry and Bud are interested in guys who are talented on offense. I don't see them ever paying big bucks for a guy who offers nothing on that end. He wouldn't have been a bad pickup but I would rather use the money on a player that would actually be on the court at the end of games.

It's worth remembering that Chandler was a pretty important part of Dallas Championship team. Going through the Lakers, Thunder and Heat to do it.

in the right system, under the right Coach, Chandler can play heavy minutes in crunch time.

And since we have a Tyson Chandler clone as our Center of the future, we should probably embrace this type of player pretty quickly.

I would love for Bebe to turn in to Chandler. I just don't think they would spend that much money on that type of player this season. We are way too thin on the wing to blow all of our cap on a defensive big.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#256 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:56 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I would love for Bebe to turn in to Chandler. I just don't think they would spend that much money on that type of player this season. We are way too thin on the wing to blow all of our cap on a defensive big.

That's an interesting take. And while I wouldn't disagree, our lack of depth in the front court is my biggest concern. It was that lack of depth that cost us last season, IMO.

Mike Scott's a tweener, Horford is injury prone (missing 100+ games in the last 2+ years). Millsap is out the door in 11 months.

Wing players are more easily replaced. We've seen gutter trash like Cartier Martin, Dahntay Jones, Deshawn Stevenson brought in the last two seasons and perform capably.

We dumped JJ and Marvin and didn't miss a beat.

We lose Josh and Horford and the whole damn roof falls off the team. Resulting in the longest losing streaks this franchise has seen in decades. Ferry was so desperate for big man help, he even forfeited Muscala's rookie season to bring him over early.

If we go into next season with the same hole at Center, it'll come back to haunt us. And might even be the ultimate reason Horford walks away from Atlanta.

(NOTE: If Ferry pursues Marc Gasol in 2015 Free Agency to play next to Horford, all will be forgiven.)
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#257 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I would love for Bebe to turn in to Chandler. I just don't think they would spend that much money on that type of player this season. We are way too thin on the wing to blow all of our cap on a defensive big.

That's an interesting take. And while I wouldn't disagree, our lack of depth in the front court is my biggest concern. It was that lack of depth that cost us last season, IMO.

Mike Scott's a tweener, Horford is injury prone (missing 100+ games in the last 2+ years). Millsap is out the door in 11 months.

Wing players are more easily replaced. We've seen gutter trash like Cartier Martin, Dahntay Jones, Deshawn Stevenson brought in the last two seasons and perform capably.

We dumped JJ and Marvin and didn't miss a beat.

We lose Josh and Horford and the whole damn roof falls off the team. Resulting in the longest losing streaks this franchise has seen in decades. Ferry was so desperate for big man help, he even forfeited Muscala's rookie season to bring him over early.

If we go into next season with the same hole at Center, it'll come back to haunt us. And might even be the ultimate reason Horford walks away from Atlanta.

(NOTE: If Ferry pursues Marc Gasol in 2015 Free Agency to play next to Horford, all will be forgiven.)

Horford and Milsap were tearing it up when they were together. I think they are our future frontcourt going forward unless we have the chance to get a BIG name. I'm obviously counting on Horford to stay healthy, but I don't think we are going real far without Horford whether we have a starting caliber backup in place or not. I would like to land one but I don't want to use our entire cap on one. If we must have a traditional defensive big, I'm sure New York would have no problem giving up Dalembert if we want him. He's not as good of a defender as Asik or Chandler but he costs far less and he is on the last year of his deal.

I just don't see Bud being as interested in a "traditional" center like most of the fans are. I think he prefers a quicker lineup that is more diverse and can attack in a variety of ways. We rely on team defense moreso than man defense which helps cover our lack of a "traditional" big.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#258 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Blaming Horford's injuries on him playing Center is a cop out in my opinion. I think it has more to do with his weightlifting regimen, especially if the reports about him benching heavy on gamedays, before the game, are true. Chandler is far weaker than Horford and he has never torn a pec from going against a guy who weighs more than him. Players play out of position and guard players who are bigger than them on a daily basis in this league and you never see pec injuries. Why don't you see it happen more if it's a consequence of having a player play out of position against slightly bigger opponents?

Do you remember the play in which he tore it this year? There was no contact and no pressure being applied from the other player when the injury occurred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh91b4slFm0
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#259 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:14 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Horford and Milsap were tearing it up when they were together. I think they are our future frontcourt going forward unless we have the chance to get a BIG name.

I just don't see Bud being as interested in a "traditional" center like most of the fans are. I think he prefers a quicker lineup that is more diverse and can attack in a variety of ways. We rely on team defense moreso than man defense which helps cover our lack of a "traditional" big.

Hey, time will tell. But it's worth noting that D Ferry used our highest draft pick in years to secure a young Center who's only skill set is defense and rebounding. And that Ferry's top Free Agent target was to pursue the top Defensive Center last year.

We'll see if Millsap is re-signed next summer, or if we pursue the best defensive big available in 2015...Marc Gasol.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#260 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:43 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Blaming Horford's injuries on him playing Center is a cop out in my opinion. Why don't you see it happen more if it's a consequence of having a player play out of position against slightly bigger opponents?

I won't delve too much into this topic as it's one that is a hot button issue and one that we've discussed extensively. (Thread HERE!)

I wouldn't begin to quote anatomy, biology. I'm no expert by any means. I just have come to a conclusion based on what I've read over the years. AL has only gotten injured while playing bball, guarding two larger players. (Hibbert/Varejao) AL has asked for help in the post, stating it takes a toll on his body. AL played bball at a high level for a decade plus without major injury. Horford has had this same injury twice in two different parts of the body. Both times it happened....he was playing basketball, wrestling with one of the largest human beings on the planet. Both tears occurred on relatively low contact plays which leads me to believe this was not from a single blow to the muscle, but a continued stress placed on it over time.The main difference between past years and now, he has to guard players bigger than himself.

It's possible that Horford, son of a professional athlete, considered a top player on multiple levels for more than a decade, a guy who's been coached by some of the best in the world never learned proper weight-lifting technique by age 27. Not even after tearing his pec the first time and receiving months of rehab. This seems unlikely to me.

As far as why do some guys get hurt and not others? Who knows. Why does Rose tear an ACL on a non contact play and Teague not? All I know is AL expressed concern over getting beat up as an undersized 5. He's missed two of the last 3 years with injuries. I think these two statements are directly related.

Return to Atlanta Hawks