Prospecting: Kyle Anderson

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,260

Re: Prospecting: Kyle Anderson 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

geeman wrote: I rather get a guy that I know when he steps on the court, will be a great teammate and make everyone better than a another raw athlete that may not pan out.

And someone just earned their first 'And1'.

Well stated, geeman.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#22 » by D21 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 pm

geeman wrote:I rather get a guy that I know when he steps on the court, will be a great teammate and make everyone better than a another raw athlete that may not pan out.

I also agree

Jamaaliver wrote:After watching Diaw's impact this post-season, most recently in Game 1 of the NBA Finals...I'm becoming much more comfortable with drafting this Anderson kid.
Diaw uses smarts, guile, size to leave his imprint on the game. Anderson should be able to do that and more as he is (slightly) more athletic than the rotund Boris and has a better jump shot

We can certainly use him like Diaw, but I would not be so much sure on the athletic part.
Diaw doesn't jump as high as before (in PHX, he was jumping higher than Stoudemire who was taller), but he impressed me on some rebounds in the Finals. Good timing, but nice jump for a supposed overweighted guy.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#23 » by Baller2014 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 pm

Kyle Anderson is one guy I'd want my team to stay away from, and since Ferry's a good GM I don't expect he'll draft him. Kyle Anderson is not Boris Diaw. Diaw succeeds because his size lets him play the 4-5 spot. Kyle is a 3 or nothing, and unlike Diaw (who is surprisingly athletic) Anderson has no speed or athleticism at all. Try watching the draftexpress scouting video on Kyle... I literally cringed. His good points are not especially valuable for his position, he can't actually play the point guard spot in the NBA, and he's got so many gaping flaws in his game it's not even funny. I don't think he's an NBA player. If a good team drafts him I'll hope he makes me eat some crow, but I really doubt it.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#24 » by azuresou1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Baller2014 wrote:Kyle Anderson is one guy I'd want my team to stay away from, and since Ferry's a good GM I don't expect he'll draft him. Kyle Anderson is not Boris Diaw. Diaw succeeds because his size lets him play the 4-5 spot. Kyle is a 3 or nothing, and unlike Diaw (who is surprisingly athletic) Anderson has no speed or athleticism at all. Try watching the draftexpress scouting video on Kyle... I literally cringed. His good points are not especially valuable for his position, he can't actually play the point guard spot in the NBA, and he's got so many gaping flaws in his game it's not even funny. I don't think he's an NBA player. If a good team drafts him I'll hope he makes me eat some crow, but I really doubt it.

"I only regret that I have but one upvote to give for this post."
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:10 pm

From Chad Ford's Live Chat today regarding ATL picking at #15:

Dario Saric if he falls. I also hear they are one of the teams high on Kyle Anderson of UCLA. Mike Budenholzer coached Boris Diaw in San Antonio. He would know how to use him.

Kyle is expected to have his second workout for the Hawks next Monday. This time just days before the NBA Draft. I still think DF has something up his sleeves as far as moving up in the draft. But it's clear there is interest in KA.

Sounds like Bud wants a young Point Forward to play through in the future. If Saric is gone before we get a shot at him, I suspect Hawks will consider Anderson a worthy consolation prize.

But the fact that most Mock Drafts are all over the place on who we might pick tells me that Danny is playing his cards very close to the vest. And most everyone is just guessing...
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#26 » by theatlfan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:20 am

Baller2014 wrote:Kyle Anderson is one guy I'd want my team to stay away from, and since Ferry's a good GM I don't expect he'll draft him. Kyle Anderson is not Boris Diaw. Diaw succeeds because his size lets him play the 4-5 spot. Kyle is a 3 or nothing, and unlike Diaw (who is surprisingly athletic) Anderson has no speed or athleticism at all. Try watching the draftexpress scouting video on Kyle... I literally cringed. His good points are not especially valuable for his position, he can't actually play the point guard spot in the NBA, and he's got so many gaping flaws in his game it's not even funny. I don't think he's an NBA player. If a good team drafts him I'll hope he makes me eat some crow, but I really doubt it.
I'm not saying that I think Anderson is one of my top 15 favorite prospects in this draft, but tbf, if your basing Anderson on his highlight reel with DX, then you're watching the wrong highlight reel on DX. Watch LaVine's highlight reel and Anderson jumps out - I'd guess 8 of the 10x that LaVine is perfectly set up for a corner 3 or a leak out, it was Anderson who made the play and LaVine who finished it (... or didn't). Anderson shows up in Adams' as well, but he isn't nearly as prevalent as he is in LaVine's. After watching that reel, I ended it thinking that Anderson made LaVine a 1st round pick in the same way that Jason Kidd made Kenyon Martin his big payday.

Jamaaliver wrote:From Chad Ford's Live Chat today regarding ATL picking at #15:

Dario Saric if he falls. I also hear they are one of the teams high on Kyle Anderson of UCLA. Mike Budenholzer coached Boris Diaw in San Antonio. He would know how to use him.

Kyle is expected to have his second workout for the Hawks next Monday. This time just days before the NBA Draft. I still think DF has something up his sleeves as far as moving up in the draft. But it's clear there is interest in KA.

Sounds like Bud wants a young Point Forward to play through in the future. If Saric is gone before we get a shot at him, I suspect Hawks will consider Anderson a worthy consolation prize.

But the fact that most Mock Drafts are all over the place on who we might pick tells me that Danny is playing his cards very close to the vest. And most everyone is just guessing...
One thing here is that I don't think that we have to get a point "forward" though. We've discussed how I see Manu's role with SAS as a 2nd penetrator who has other skills that can play alongside the primary penetrator and we're just looking for that #2 penetrator (or, maybe #1 depending on your view of Teague's future with us). This would also explain our interest in Stauskas who actually has some dribble drive skills on top of his elite shooting skill.

One thought here: What about Korver/15 for 9/24? Supposedly CHAR is looking heavily at spot up shooters and are very high on McDermott so I'd think they'd be salivating over obtaining Korver. On the flip side, we'd have a good shot at landing Saric or Stauskas at 9 while 24 should have Anderson (if we get Stauskas) and a handful of interesting wing prospect if we get Saric (wings who went 21-33 range on DX - 22 PJ Hairston, 23 Jordan Adams, 27 Jerami Grant, 28 Jordan Clarkson, 29 KJ Daniels, 32 Glenn Robinson, 33 Cleanthony Early). Thoughts?
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#27 » by Baller2014 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:31 am

CIA Ferry should give Kyle a 3rd workout to really throw smoke in other teams eyes.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:48 pm

AJC's most recent Mock Draft:

15. Hawks: Kyle Anderson, SF, UCLA
The Hawks need help at the small forward spot for depth in shooting and defense. Anderson, who will have been in for two pre-draft workouts, would make sense. I mentioned his name to Hawks GM Danny Ferry last week. He just smiled. Didn't say yes. Didn't say no.
http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2014/jun/23/ajcs-nba-mock-draft-version-20/

Means absolutely nothing. I just thought it was kind of funny. As if Ferry really is messing with media types.

Word is, Kyle Anderson was in for his second visit today with Ferry and Budenhlozer both present.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#29 » by miltk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 pm

theatlfan wrote:I'm not saying that I think Anderson is one of my top 15 favorite prospects in this draft, but tbf, if your basing Anderson on his highlight reel with DX, then you're watching the wrong highlight reel on DX. Watch LaVine's highlight reel and Anderson jumps out - I'd guess 8 of the 10x that LaVine is perfectly set up for a corner 3 or a leak out, it was Anderson who made the play and LaVine who finished it (... or didn't). Anderson shows up in Adams' as well, but he isn't nearly as prevalent as he is in LaVine's. After watching that reel, I ended it thinking that Anderson made LaVine a 1st round pick in the same way that Jason Kidd made Kenyon Martin his big payday.

ucla fell apart when anderson was out. i think the videos everyone's watching are too old. the kyle anderson who's trying out at the team workouts is not the same guy from the ucla vids. anderson and payton are the two players who've bumped up the most in the mocks
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 am

And Kyle Anderson falls all the way to #30 where the Spurs select him. He'll be a key component of their next title run...

SMH.

Ferry is really starting to concern me.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#31 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:19 am

I guess the Hawks were using Anderson as a smoke screen
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#32 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 am

Jamaaliver wrote:And Kyle Anderson falls all the way to #30 where the Spurs select him. He'll be a key component of their next title run...

SMH.

Adreian Payne fell to #30, you would have said the same thing
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#33 » by Baller2014 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 am

Well, now I've got to root for Kyle, since the Spurs took him. Hope he proves me wrong.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#34 » by SBM » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 am

He will be a much better player than Payne and that is for sure
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#35 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:25 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:And Kyle Anderson falls all the way to #30 where the Spurs select him. He'll be a key component of their next title run...

SMH.

Adreian Payne fell to #30, you would have said the same thing

Bingo.

Anderson falling to 30 because teams opted to pick guys who average 5/2 in Brazil doesn't make OUR pick bad. Our goal was to get the best player we could at 15 - and Payne is that guy.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:22 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Bingo.

Anderson falling to 30 because teams opted to pick guys who average 5/2 in Brazil doesn't make OUR pick bad. Our goal was to get the best player we could at 15 - and Payne is that guy.

While Payne is indeed a solid selection, I'm not sure anyone would say he was the best player available in one of the deepest drafts in years.

And with the health red flags he exhibited recently, there be legitimate concerns in his long term viability.
(Foot injuries, mono for an entire year, small lungs, learning disabilities)

K Anderson will meanwhile be a key cog on a title contender in the next couple of seasons.

Payne will be a serviceable player on a middling team.

In a draft like this, I'd have preferred we trade back and select multiple solid players, than to simply get one role player with a pick as high as 15.

Ferry is taking the safe route, and every year our record gets worse and worse under his watch.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#37 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:37 pm

SMH.

Dont think you can make that statement YET. I like Payne, I like Payne more than Anderson personally.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#38 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

While Payne is indeed a solid selection, I'm not sure anyone would say he was the best player available in one of the deepest drafts in years.

And with the health red flags he exhibited recently, there be legitimate concerns in his long term viability.

Every player has issues, especially at 15+ in the draft.

K Anderson will meanwhile be a key cog on a title contender in the next couple of seasons.

Thats a bold statement, save it. Hes talented, but not enough to make THAT statement.

In a draft like this, I'd have preferred we trade back and select multiple solid players, than to simply get one role player with a pick as high as 15.

Except what if NO ONE wanted to trade and do what you suggest. I think we needed Front Court Depth, we got it. You and I 100% agreed the Hawks had Front Court issues with scrubs like Antic, Ayon, and Muscala was not that great. We got YOUNG and we got a HIGH IQ guy and a Stretch 4. And a big body. What more can you ask for.

Ferry is taking the safe route, and every year our record gets worse and worse under his watch.

hes had 1 year with HIS COACH and HIS ROSTER. Cant make that statement yet. Records dont matter, we did make the playoffs under his watch with LESS talent year over year IMO

Last year our record was worse because of AH being injured. Should get an * for that
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Every player has issues, especially at 15+ in the draft.

Time will tell. And Payne was a solid pick. I just thought we had the ammo to pursue a young player with star potential. (Kyrie, M Smart, Saric, J Young) AP is a solid player, maybe a starter. But I don't see the team being massively better because of his addition.

NY Knicks didn't even have a 1st round pick, but i think they got two guys who could be huge piece going forward. (Early, Giannis Jr.)

I'll let a few months play out and see. The last time Ferry drafted a young player at a stacked position (Jenkins), the move was followed by a big trade.

Could Horford be gone?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#40 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Payne will be a serviceable player on a middling team.

I'm impressed Jamaal. When did you become a psychic?

It's always funny watching you take the route that you take with that last line.

Return to Atlanta Hawks