ImageImage

Prospecting: Kyle Anderson

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Re: Prospecting: Kyle Anderson 

Post#61 » by theatlfan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:52 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Wow. I don't know how to respond to this one. Everything I've seen or read on Bebe made not of his need to gain weight and muscle and he gets bullied in the paint. He's long and tall, but at 220 pounds he weighs less than string beans like Kevin Durant, Nerlens, Noel, Josh Smith.

Not saying that Bebe, or Dieng for that matter, shouldn't continue to gain weight - they both should. But you're claim here is that we should have selected Dieng and not only is the basis on the hot streak he had at the end of the season, but also that Dieng should have been playing the entire season. To further this point, you state that he wasn't playing early because of Adelman and his ways, not because he weighed 230. All I'm saying is that Bebe was a similar weight and if you think that Dieng should have been playing from the beginning of the season, then it's a bit disingenuous to say Nogueira shouldn't or he'll get beat up. If Dieng was ready to go from Day 1 (or, at least, as ready as any young rookie could be), then I don't see why Nogueira shouldn't be lumped in the same group.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,257

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:03 am

theatlfan wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Wow. I don't know how to respond to this one. Everything I've seen or read on Bebe made not of his need to gain weight and muscle and he gets bullied in the paint. He's long and tall, but at 220 pounds he weighs less than string beans like Kevin Durant, Nerlens, Noel, Josh Smith.

Not saying that Bebe, or Dieng for that matter, shouldn't continue to gain weight - they both should. But you're claim here is that we should have selected Dieng and not only is the basis on the hot streak he had at the end of the season, but also that Dieng should have been playing the entire season. To further this point, you state that he wasn't playing early because of Adelman and his ways, not because he weighed 230. All I'm saying is that Bebe was a similar weight and if you think that Dieng should have been playing from the beginning of the season, then it's a bit disingenuous to say Nogueira shouldn't or he'll get beat up. If Dieng was ready to go from Day 1 (or, at least, as ready as any young rookie could be), then I don't see why Nogueira shouldn't be lumped in the same group.

:dontknow:

IDK how else to explain. I wanted Dieng because he was NBA ready the day he was drafted. I thought he could contribute immediately. The hot streak at the end of the season is NOT why I wanted him. That stretch was simply validation that Dieng indeed was ready and should have warranted more PT.

I've always heard that Bebe was years away. And still hear that about him. Both physically and from a knowledge standpoint I'd say that they were never in the same stratosphere.

Again, it wasn't me saying Bebe was physically incapable of playing. It was largely every scout, pundit who watched him play. After seeing him in Summer league, I echoed those concerns.

It was not my intent to be disingenuous. But, seriously, the concern over Bebe's lack of readiness seem almost universal.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#63 » by azuresou1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 am

What would Bebe need to develop into for you to value him over Dieng? Are we talking Tyson Chandler tier? Mutombo tier?

I actually like Dieng but I don't expect much if any improvement out of him. I also project Bebe to likely develop into a non-headcase Dalembert/middle-class Deke, which I would be very happy to add to our core.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:14 am

azuresou1 wrote:What would Bebe need to develop into for you to value him over Dieng? Are we talking Tyson Chandler tier? Mutombo tier?

I actually like Dieng but I don't expect much if any improvement out of him. I also project Bebe to likely develop into a non-headcase Dalembert/middle-class Deke, which I would be very happy to add to our core.

It's tough to say. I envisioned Dieng as a double-double guy with very good defenive prowess...a less impactful Ben Wallace. Others have compared him favorably to Serge Ibaka.

If Bebe is dominant on the boards, and is capable of making an All Defense Team or two, I'd consider him a good pick. But if he takes years to get here and actually make a consistent contribution, it's somewhat for naught. I've been begging for us to get a Center for years. Ideally to play next to AL. (Something he's asked for a well.)

it'd be ironic, bittersweet, frustrating if we finally get a top one, but he doesn't become dominant until AL is gone or past his prime.

It's worth noting that I have health concerns regarding Bebe. He struggled with Hamstring issues and knee tendinitis last season. Playing backup minutes. Once a week. What happens when he starts playing 30 minutes a night 4 days a week?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:45 am

Question for you guys:

Would you guys prefer to have Dieng or Adreian Payne on our team going forward?

Would you prefer to have Dieng AND Payne going forward...or Millsap and Bebe?

As odd as it sounds, I'd be more okay with the selection of AP if we had Dieng on the roster as well. That's a young, experienced, tough front court pairing I'd like to watch for the next 6-8 years.

Kind of like Dale and Antonio Davis with the Pacers of the 90s...if anyone else remembers them.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#66 » by azuresou1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Question for you guys:

Would you guys prefer to have Dieng or Adreian Payne on our team going forward?

Would you prefer to have Dieng AND Payne going forward...or Millsap and Bebe?

As odd as it sounds, I'd be more okay with the selection of AP if we had Dieng on the roster as well. That's a young, experienced, tough front court pairing I'd like to watch for the next 6-8 years.

Kind of like Dale and Antonio Davis with the Pacers of the 90s...if anyone else remembers them.

Payne

Millsap and Bebe... but I'd rather have Millsap, Bebe, AND Payne
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Austin Spurs guard/forward Kyle Anderson, on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, has been named Performer of the Week for games played Monday, Feb. 2 – Sunday, Feb. 8.

Anderson (6-9, 230, UCLA) led Austin to a 2-0 record last week, averaging 19.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.5 blocks. He recorded back-to-back double-doubles in wins over the Grand Rapids Drive, scoring 12 and grabbing 12 boards on Feb. 7, and tallying 17 points and 10 rebounds the night before on Feb. 6.

A first-round pick (30th overall) in the 2014 NBA Draft, Anderson has appeared in eight games for Austin on assignment this season, averaging 21.3 points, 11.0 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 43.1 minutes. Via RealGM Staff Report

Doesn't answer all the questions regarding his future role in the league. We still don't know if he can guard anyone. But he's showing a consistent ability to be productive.

I really like that SAS has an affiliate of their own in the D-league to aid in the kid's development. It'll be interesting to see what he is able to develop into in the next couple of years.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:10 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Kyle Anderson, a small forward playing with the Austin Spurs on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, has been named NBA Development League Player of the Month for games played in February.

Anderson led the Spurs to an 8-1 month in February, when he scored 20-or-more points five times and recorded four double-doubles. He led the team in scoring three times and was the leading rebounder five times. He dished out team-high assists five times in February. For the month, Anderson averaged 22.8 points to go with 8.8 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Anderson has played in 16 games on assignment in Austin, averaging 22.1 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists.

Again, D-League stats are not a huge indicator of NBA ability. But the fact he's managed to be very productive in the SAS system against massively more athletic players at least bodes well for him being a contributor next season for the big league squad.

I lamented that we passed on him in last year's draft. I feel even more remorseful now considering we gave up on Adreian after only 19 minutes of PT. here's hoping our scouting and evaluation is improved before we pick this year.
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Prospecting: Kyle Anderson 

Post#69 » by Hawks champs » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Kyle Anderson, a small forward playing with the Austin Spurs on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, has been named NBA Development League Player of the Month for games played in February.

Anderson led the Spurs to an 8-1 month in February, when he scored 20-or-more points five times and recorded four double-doubles. He led the team in scoring three times and was the leading rebounder five times. He dished out team-high assists five times in February. For the month, Anderson averaged 22.8 points to go with 8.8 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Anderson has played in 16 games on assignment in Austin, averaging 22.1 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.3 assists.

Again, D-League stats are not a huge indicator of NBA ability. But the fact he's managed to be very productive in the SAS system against massively more athletic players at least bodes well for him being a contributor next season for the big league squad.

I lamented that we passed on him in last year's draft. I feel even more remorseful now considering we gave up on Adreian after only 19 minutes of PT. here's hoping our scouting and evaluation is improved before we pick this year.

I think he's gonna be pretty good but you can't really be too critical about us not picking him, everyone else passed on him too.

Return to Atlanta Hawks