Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,260

Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Because we have a vested interest in how the Nets fare next season, I figured it would be worth keeping up with all the dysfunction that organization is experiencing of late.

They lost Jay-Z as a minority owner lat year, which decreases their recruiting prowess going forward.

Their owner is entertaining bids on the purchase of the team based on the multi-billion dollar price tag the Clippers pulled in this year.

Jason Kidd tried to pull a 'Game of Thrones' type power play and force his way into a promotion....it did not work. Now comes word that:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/483062012344143872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/483267068234432513[/tweet]
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil? 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:21 pm

With this much instability at the top of the organization, and the franchise looking at its 4th Head Coach in two years, there's got to be some fallout in the day-to-day results of the players, right?

Kidd made concessions to Pierce and Garnett regarding roles, status as starters and PT in the long grind of the season. He found a role for Livingston as a starter and actually looked like a pretty solid coach down the stretch of the season.

With tons of upheaval in personnel, and yet another change at Head Coach might this negatively effect the Nets record next year? Could it vault us back into the lottery next season? Or at least another top-20 pick should our own outfit do pretty well?
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#3 » by theatlfan » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:38 pm

The situation I'm watching in regards to BRK is the austerity plans that Prokhorov supposedly agreed to. Basically, another minority owner is looking to share his stake and has asked Prokhorov to curb his spending so that the value of his stake goes up. IF this is for real and not just a rumor, then it'll be interesting to see how they approach FA with guys like Pierce, Blatche, and Livingston out there. Blatche and Livingston probably deserve raises and longer deals, but I can't see Prokhorov giving it to them - or resigning Pierce - while also being able to keep a straight face when talking about his promise for austerity.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 pm

I also think that it might come down to Free Agency. Losing Livingston especially will be difficult for them, since Shaun is an excellent player and was such a big part of their team last season. I don't see them finishing ahead of us this year, they just made a lot of overrated moves last offseason, but I don't see them missing the playoffs and being a lotto team either.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#5 » by D21 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Don't forget that they played without Lopez, and even if it's not sure, it can have a big impact on their level next season...
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#6 » by theatlfan » Tue Jul 1, 2014 5:53 am

Looking like some of their FAs are thinking hard about jumping ship - didn't know that these players had such an affinity for Kidd. Rumor is that Pierce is serious about going to LA; Livingston signed with BRK because of Kidd. Definitely something to keep tabs on here.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:33 am

...and the exodus of Free Agents begins.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/484133563130855425[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NYDNInterNets/status/483981974395031553[/tweet]
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:54 am

Great, three down , three out. Brook/KG/AK/Joe/Deron... its still a decent line up, something dramatic still needs to happen.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#9 » by Baller2014 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:55 am

All the elements are there for a total implosion. Hawks will make off like Bandits if they can make the playoffs and the Nets implode.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#10 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:58 am

Jahil Okafor here we come
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Pierce is now out. Lets see what happens to KG.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#12 » by theatlfan » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 pm

So current word is that BRK expects KG back but are content with Jack, Karasev, and Bogdanovich to replace Livingston and Pierce. I'm guessing that they're also assuming a trade of Blatche for B Lopez.

Unfortunately, I think as long as they have KG and Kirilenko they'll have enough D to complement B Lopez, Deron, and JJ to make the playoffs in the East. At least they're thin enough now that an injury could take them out of the running...
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#13 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:49 pm

I really like our chances of getting a lottery pick out of Brooklyn if their roster doesn't improve by the end of free agency. The East will be much deeper this season and they will need to count on D-Will and Lopez staying healthy to be competitive. I think it's very likely that we see Brooklyn fall out of the playoffs if either player misses significant time. We just need KG to leave the team now.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#14 » by Hawk Eye » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:59 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I really like our chances of getting a lottery pick out of Brooklyn if their roster doesn't improve by the end of free agency. The East will be much deeper this season and they will need to count on D-Will and Lopez staying healthy to be competitive. I think it's very likely that we see Brooklyn fall out of the playoffs if either player misses significant time. We just need KG to leave the team now.

If KG leaves or goes down next season due to injury I gotta believe we come out of the 2015 season with a lottery pick
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:00 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote: they will need to count on D-Will and Lopez staying healthy to be competitive...

IDK. Deron, Brook and Garnett all missed significant time last season, but Joe Jesus and some creative lineups were enough to keep them afloat even under the command of an inexperienced HC.

With Jarrett Jack, Karasev aboard. I really like their chances. Especially under an accomplished coach like Hollins.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#16 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote: they will need to count on D-Will and Lopez staying healthy to be competitive...

IDK. Deron, Brook and Garnett all missed significant time last season, but Joe Jesus and some creative lineups were enough to keep them afloat even under the command of an inexperienced HC.

With Jarrett Jack, Karasev aboard. I really like their chances. Especially under an accomplished coach like Hollins.

A deeper lineup is what saved them last year. They no longer have Livingston, blatche, Thornton, pierce and possibly anderson. They lose KG and they have zero depth. Jack and plumlee will be their only quality players off the bench.

They also had the benefit of the east being extremely weak last year. The east will be stronger this year with at least one definite new playoff team in cleveland.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#17 » by MaceCase » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:43 pm

They started winning at a torrid pace when they went to small ball (a shock!) but they've now hired a coach who is the antithesis to that strategy. Hollins is an old school guy and that's a big part of why he was let go in the manner he was from Memphis because his philosophy clashed with a front office that wanted more of a reliance on advance stats. It will be interesting to see if Hollins goes with a small 4 with KG backing up C and runs a small backcourt with Jack and Deron or just tries to shoehorn a traditional lineup in.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Lopez's health has been degenerating the last 3 years. I think he is on the decline at age 25 due to injury. a foot injury for a 7 footer is really not good, just too much weight on a bad foot.

I also think we will see some Deron drama this year, probably requesting for a trade.
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#19 » by Baller2014 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 am

Injuries and coaching are what did them in last year. Hard to believe both those things strike this time around. It'll be close, but I think they'll be back again alas.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:41 am

I was looking more into the 2015 draft, and it looks good, almost as good as the 2014 draft.

Their could possibly be nine 1st tier prospects that could maybe on the same talent level as Parker or Wiggins, but as the college season goes on, it will probably be whittle down to 2 or 3. But anyway, if the Nets can get some where in the top eight, it could pay off big for the Hawks.

Jahlil Okafor - 7 footer whose offensive game is as good as Duncan, but defensively will just be average.

Emmanuel Mudiay - 6'5 and has handles just as good as Kobe, Harden, Wade, and Penny coming out of high school.

Cliff Alexander - 6'9, little skill but who can push around anybody in the paint, reminds me of Derrick Favors in high school. If he grows another inch or two, he could be scary.

Karl Towns - 7 footer who passes the eye test, but not as skilled as Okafor.

Stanley Johnson - High motor, high defense, do everything SF. Could be a better version of Kawhi Leonard

Mario Hezonja - Like Rubio and Exum, Hezonja is a super hyped international player who stands out because of his athleticism and ball handling.

Kristaps Porzingis - Typical 7 foot highly skilled euro player. He could be an all star or bust. He could be the next Dirk or Gasol, or another Yi, Jan Veselý, Tskitishvili, or Bargnani

Myles Turner - 7 foot KG type of player, he has a good jump shot and good defense but doesn't have KG's handles. Will be a prospect outside looking in being 1st tier and will have to prove alot in his freshman year.

Justise Winslow - Another prospect outside looking in. 6'6, 220lbs. He is good at everything and like James Young in Kentucky, he will need to prove alot in his freshman year.

Return to Atlanta Hawks