ImageImage

Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Re: Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil? 

Post#21 » by theatlfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:27 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I was looking more into the 2015 draft, and it looks good, almost as good as the 2014 draft.

Their could possibly be nine 1st tier prospects that could maybe on the same talent level as Parker or Wiggins, but as the college season goes on, it will probably be whittle down to 2 or 3. But anyway, if the Nets can get some where in the top eight, it could pay off big for the Hawks.

Jahlil Okafor - 7 footer whose offensive game is as good as Duncan, but defensively will just be average.

Emmanuel Mudiay - 6'5 and has handles just as good as Kobe, Harden, Wade, and Penny coming out of high school.

Cliff Alexander - 6'9, little skill but who can push around anybody in the paint, reminds me of Derrick Favors in high school. If he grows another inch or two, he could be scary.

Karl Towns - 7 footer who passes the eye test, but not as skilled as Okafor.

Stanley Johnson - High motor, high defense, do everything SF. Could be a better version of Kawhi Leonard

Mario Hezonja - Like Rubio and Exum, Hezonja is a super hyped international player who stands out because of his athleticism and ball handling.

Kristaps Porzingis - Typical 7 foot highly skilled euro player. He could be an all star or bust. He could be the next Dirk or Gasol, or another Yi, Jan Veselý, Tskitishvili, or Bargnani

Myles Turner - 7 foot KG type of player, he has a good jump shot and good defense but doesn't have KG's handles. Will be a prospect outside looking in being 1st tier and will have to prove alot in his freshman year.

Justise Winslow - Another prospect outside looking in. 6'6, 220lbs. He is good at everything and like James Young in Kentucky, he will need to prove alot in his freshman year.
Love comparing notes on draft prospects... hope you don't mind.

Disagree that I'd comp the '14 and '15 classes. The '14 class had 4 elite talents that would compete for #1 overall in this draft class. I personally didn't like the 2nd tier guys as much, but there was 1st round talent going well into the 2nd round. With the '15 class, I'd have Okafor behind a healthy Embiid and Mudiay would be comparable to Exum and those are the only 1st tier guys in this draft. As far as depth, you never really know until after the withdrawal deadline, but I can't see this class having the sort of depth that '14 had. Let me put it this way: immediately after Porzingis withdrew, he went from being projected at 15 (to us) in the '14 draft to a top 5 pick in the '15 draft.

Okafor is the clear cut #1 in next year's draft and the closest comp to him would be a more skilled Shaq. At one point a year or two ago, there was some question as to whether he'd grow enough that his game would legitimately transfer, but he did. I think the D concerns are a bit overblown as he doesn't really have anyone to practice against that could compare to his physical traits. Once he gets into good habits on that side of the court, I think he'll blossom into a well above average m2m defender and rim protector.

Mudiay was the only one who could compete with Okafor for #1 but now that he's going overseas instead of playing for Larry Brown, I don't see that happening anymore. Still, he's got PG skills and athleticism in an SG body and that will transfer. Needs to develop a jumper.

Alexander - Don't understand his hype right now. The bully PF is an anachronism in today's NBA. Randle was more skilled and he slid to 7 this year. In two years he's added 1" to his Height w/ Shoes measurement, so I can't think he'll add the 2" to be a "true C". IMO, his best NBA projection would be an undersized C which really doesn't carry a ton of value.

Towns - Would absolutely *love* to get my hands on this kid. He's not as skill around the basket as Okafor, but his range goes out to the 3PT line and has DPotY type upside defensively. Going to Kentucky where Cauley-Stein, Dakhari Johnson, and Marcus Lee (all potential 1st rounders IMO) will present obstacles to PT. If he slips through the cracks and get to us wherever we're drafting, then this kid is a slam dunk in terms of what I think we're hunting for in a C.

Really don't know what to make of Porzingis. He looks a little awkward on the court but he does have real skills. If he gains about 30 lbs without losing his skills/athleticism, then he could be the mythical stretch 5 who is an elite rim protector and I think that's where a lot of his value is coming from. If he falls short of that, then I think he still has value, but I wouldn't know what he'd be. A stretch 4 who can't play C in stretches and doesn't rebound isn't a real hot commodity but his game could translate better than the oversimplified description. Also, he gets a lot of credit for his jumper, but he doesn't hit it at a rate that demands attention - very streaky... think Antic in this regard.

Turner is another guy who I really don't know how his game will turn out. See conflicting reports on him - some say he's an great athlete, some say he's got 2 left feet; some say he's an elite rebounder, some say his rebounding is below par. All agree that his B-Ball IQ is very high, has elite instincts for blocking shots, and has some range on his jumper (another disagreement is how much range though - everything I've seen has it into the midrange although some have it out to the 3PT line). I'll definitely find a UT game or 2 and check him out.

As with this past season, I will be watching the SF crop the most closely again. Just think that this will be the sweet spot for the late lotto/mid 1st area where we'll be picking (this year, my plan went awry when Poythress never developed, Hezonja developed some dings and never entered, and Hollis-Jefferson got buried early then returned - yet we still passed on J Young who was the best overall prospect at 15 IMO). Winslow and Johnson have the early track for 1st SF off the board, but I think Hollis-Jefferson, Oubre, and Chris Walker are already breathing down their necks. Hezonja is a 1-D scorer but has been given the tag of being selfish and a malcontent so I think he'll drop some no matter what but he's still a name for us. All of them bring a little something different to the table so it could come down to what the individual team is looking for. Assuming they all enter, then I'd imagine that 1 of these 6 - if not 2 or 3 - should be available when we're picking, and at this juncture at least, I'd put the odds on us selecting one of them. I think I'll catch a game from all of them this BB season (outside of Hezonja of course).
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#22 » by hawkschop1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:15 pm

I saw that KG is looking for an office position with the nets. Not sure that makes them any worse but let's hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#23 » by theatlfan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 pm

hawkschop1 wrote:I saw that KG is looking for an office position with the nets. Not sure that makes them any worse but let's hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This is the best (or worst depending on PoV) news in relation to BRK I've seen/heard this off-season. Their turnaround last year was keyed by the KG and AK giving them an identity on D. Losing just one of those guys would be a huge plus IMO.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,261

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:37 pm

Brooklyn Nets center Brook Lopez, who has been rehabbing after undergoing foot and ankle surgery, told reporters in Russia that he has been "fully cleared for play."

"I was fully cleared for play and everything about a week and a half ago now," said Lopez, who is visiting the country with his twin brother, Portland Trail Blazers center Robin Lopez. "... Now it's time to get back in shape."
Here

This definitely plays in their favor. Hollins leans heavily on his Center on both sides of the court. Preferring strong post play to perimeter play. Plumlee and Lopez make a capable Center combination. JJ, Deron and Jack make a strong guard rotation.

I suspect Brooklyn and Detroit might most benefit from Indiana struggling without P George.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#25 » by SBM » Fri Aug 8, 2014 1:43 am

George going down puts the Nets, Celts, Knicks and Pistons back in play for the playoffs.

Cavs
Bulls
Hawks
Heat
Raps
Hornets
Wiz

Would all have to have significant injuries not to make it.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#26 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Hypothetically speaking:

Let's say Kevin Garnett decides not to return to play for Brooklyn this season, what seeding do you guys put Brooklyn in the east? and what draft pick would you guys then project us to have since we can swap with the nets.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Prestonmott wrote:Hypothetically speaking:

Let's say Kevin Garnett decides not to return to play for Brooklyn this season, what seeding do you guys put Brooklyn in the east? and what draft pick would you guys then project us to have since we can swap with the nets.

Sadly, I don't think his absence really hurts that much. He missed 6 straight weeks last season and the team survived without him. The season before THAT, BRK was a 4th seed without KG at all.

As long as Nets have a healthy Lopez, Plumlee, Kirilenko and Joe Jesus...they'll be fine.

Nets are now very much a treadmill team with three AS caliber players, capable role players and a proven coach. If they can survive Jason Kidd's inexperience, an injury to Lopez and Deron, and Billy King's ineptitude...they can survive the loss of KG without batting an eye.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#28 » by azuresou1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't think KG makes a difference. His absence might even make them better because they'll play younger, less worn down guys.

I'm hoping that KG DOES decide to play, and between his age, Deron's ankles, and Lopez's lower body Brooklyn becomes a train wreck.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Deron Williams states his ankles are much better after offseason surgery. he expects to be at full strength for Trainig Camp...unlike last year when he struggled with injuries from the very start of the season.

Might Brooklyn be a sleeper team with a healthy Deron & Brook and Plumlee set to blossom after a summer with USA Basketball?

Deron Williams wrote:[Before the surgery], I was just walking around and my ankles would swell up...[Now] they feel good. I've been working out hard every day, getting ready to go.

Last year was tough, I missed all of training camp, most of the preseason. … I practiced one time, played nine minutes in a preseason game and was thrown into the fire at 60 or 70 percent.

It's definitely different this year, and I think it's great. I'll be able to participate in training camp. I'll be practicing with the guys right now, and I'm able to play with the guys before training camp, which is great.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24711776/brooklyn-nets-deron-williams-says-his-ankles-finally-feel-good-again
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#30 » by azuresou1 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:59 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.

Looking forward to the season
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#31 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:03 am

Brooklyn is 0-1. Nets start off the season with a blow out lose. being down as much as 30 points at one point in the game against the Celtics.

It was one of those games where nothing went right for the Nets, and everything went right for the Celtics.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:50 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Brooklyn is 0-1. Nets start off the season with a blow out lose. being down as much as 30 points at one point in the game against the Celtics.

It was one of those games where nothing went right for the Nets, and everything went right for the Celtics.

Agreed. They looked bad last night. But they got off to a bad start last season as well and rebounded.

Plus, they still have Brook Lopez on the horizon.

Still a lot of BBALL to be played.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:06 am

Again, i'm not too upset about the Hawks lose to the Cavs. When you hit 80% from three, you are just lucky. The Cavs lose wasn't too bad for me, because since then, the Nets have dropped two games, and just today, Cleveland came back down to earth or reality and lost to the Nuggets.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#34 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:53 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Again, i'm not too upset about the Hawks lose to the Cavs. When you hit 80% from three, you are just lucky. The Cavs lose wasn't too bad for me, because since then, the Nets have dropped two games, and just today, Cleveland came back down to earth or reality and lost to the Nuggets.

Brooklyn got lucky with their schedule regarding OKC. They were fortunate enough to have both of their OKC games in the first month of the season with Durant and Westbrook out. OKC may still beat them in the second game since a few players will be back after missing the first contest.

We will have a much better gauge of Brooklyn's potential after the next 15 games. They have tough games against:

SAS x 2
Chi x 2
Clev x 2
ATL
Tor
Mia
Char

I could see Milw and OKC giving them a tough test

and they should win against

Phi x 2
NYK
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:22 am

Perfect day of basketball

Rockets beat the Nets

Boston beats a western team

Orlando beats Chicago

and Detroit beats Toronto

Detroit is only two games back of Brooklyn now and Chicago and Toronto move down one game.
brigadierjerry
Senior
And1: 53

Post#36 » by brigadierjerry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:48 pm

only thing is Detroit might be a rougher out for hawks then brooklyn

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Tapatalk 2
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:09 am

brigadierjerry wrote:only thing is Detroit might be a rougher out for hawks then brooklyn

Agreed. Ever since DET excised themselves of the cancer that is Joshua Smith, they've been one of the best teams in the league. Both by Wins and Losses as well as statistical analysis.

And their strength (interior scoring and rebounding) is really our main weakness.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#38 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:27 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
brigadierjerry wrote:only thing is Detroit might be a rougher out for hawks then brooklyn

Agreed. Ever since DET excised themselves of the cancer that is Joshua Smith, they've been one of the best teams in the league. Both by Wins and Losses as well as statistical analysis.

And their strength (interior scoring and rebounding) is really our main weakness.

Best case scenario would be BK missing the playoffs and Charlotte taking that 8th spot. No disrespect to the Hornets but I'm far more scared of playing Detroit, Milwaukee, or Miami than I am of playing Charlotte. That is to say, we should win in a series against any one of those teams I just mentioned, there's no excuse for us not to.

Btw, nice to see you posting again Jamaal.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#39 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Deron Williams really killing it this season, huh, Jamaal? ;)
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Re: Re: Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil? 

Post#40 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Deron Williams really killing it this season, huh, Jamaal? ;)

Him and that beast, brook Lopez, are
really carrying them.

Im not worried about playing any of the possible 8 seeds. We will destroy every one of them in a 7 game series

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks