ImageImage

Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,454

Re: Brooklyn Nets: 2015 Season in Turmoil? 

Post#41 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Looking at ESPN, Brooklyn has had the easiest schedule in the NBA so far yet are still 16-22. Their schedule is starting to get a lot tougher so hopefully they keep losing. Who knows how high of a pick we can get.
Hawkeyes
Sixth Man
And1: 1,559

Post#42 » by Hawkeyes » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:47 pm

We get to root for a high draft pick while fighting for the #1 seed in the East. Doesn't get much better than that...
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#43 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Brooklyn has a brutal stretch over the next 22 games. They will be lucky to win 7 of them, if that.
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#44 » by Skyhawk1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:42 pm

I used to be a huge D. Williams fan, he's the guy I wanted us to draft that year. He isn't a top 20 PG in this league anymore but gets paid top 3 money. We knew JJ's production would start to fade as he's past his prime. All they have left is Brook Lopez who hasn't been the same. Problem for them is that trading players away will be very difficult due to contract lengths and injury issues. It doesn't look very good for the Phokorov's Nets.
GO HAWKS.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#45 » by theatlfan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:12 pm

Hawkeyes wrote:We get to root for a high draft pick while fighting for the #1 seed in the East. Doesn't get much better than that...

I was dreaming about the lottery happening at halftime of a game where we were taking a commanding lead in the ECF. When BRK was skipped in the draft order, Billy Knight just looked into his hands and knew that he was a dead man walking as soon as he got back to the team's HQ; PHI was actually #5 and the smug look on Hinkie's face disappeared for once and was replaced with dire disappointment. Then the #3 pick was on the table and Silver stepped up and pulled DET out of the hat (my dreams can be a few weeks behind...) meaning that the #1 pick was between us and LAL (again, dream doesn't have to be up to date). Then... LAL won. BUT the best was yet to come as they went back for the 2nd 1/2. All the announcers talked about was a) how ATL was dominating the ECF and was about to get the #2 overall pick and b) how LAL was screwed since they were basically forced to take another injured big at the top of the draft (I assume this was Okafor and no, he doesn't have a significant injury that I'm aware of, but you know, dreams).

It was a Good Dream.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#46 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:27 am

Nets are about to lose their 7th straight tonight, and realistically could lose their next 9 in a row too. They're easiest games in those 9 are in Utah and in Sacramento.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#47 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:46 am

Let's also keep an eye out on if they're actually serious about trading Brook Lopez
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,258

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 am

ATL Boy wrote:Best case scenario would be BK missing the playoffs and Charlotte taking that 8th spot. No disrespect to the Hornets but I'm far more scared of playing Detroit, Milwaukee, or Miami than I am of playing Charlotte. That is to say, we should win in a series against any one of those teams I just mentioned, there's no excuse for us not to.

Btw, nice to see you posting again Jamaal.

1. Thanks. it's good to be back in the swing of things. I was working 70 hrs per week during the Holidays and it took a toll. Luckily I had some good Hawks BBall to soothe the pain.

azuresou1 wrote:Deron Williams really killing it this season, huh, Jamaal? ;)

Hey. When I'm wrong...I'm wrong. I offer no excuses or caveats.

I do think a squad with JJ Deron and Brook can be an above avg team. Hell, 6 months ago they won 44 games and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs even after losing their All Star Big Man to injury. Two weeks ago they were on the verge of stepping above .500 and cementing themselves yet again as a solid middle of the pack team.

But he has played like poop...apparently. I respect Lionel Hollins a lot.

With that said...it wouldn't surprise me to see Deron Williams go to another team and kick butt again.

But this year DW has been terrible.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,258

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:11 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Deron Williams states his ankles are much better after offseason surgery. he expects to be at full strength for Trainig Camp...unlike last year when he struggled with injuries from the very start of the season.

Might Brooklyn be a sleeper team with a healthy Deron & Brook and Plumlee set to blossom after a summer with USA Basketball?

Bad Jamaal.

Insinuating things and asking questions is very bad...
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#50 » by hawkschop1 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:45 am

wouldnt it be sweet if brooklyn loses the 8th seed to indiana?! hopefully the hawks remain #1 and we can sweep those damn pacers in the playoffs.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#51 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am

hawkschop1 wrote:wouldnt it be sweet if brooklyn loses the 8th seed to indiana?! hopefully the hawks remain #1 and we can sweep those damn pacers in the playoffs.

Pacers, Pistons, Hornets, Nets, Heat, and Orlando are going to be fighting for the last two spots in the east.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#52 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:42 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
hawkschop1 wrote:wouldnt it be sweet if brooklyn loses the 8th seed to indiana?! hopefully the hawks remain #1 and we can sweep those damn pacers in the playoffs.

Pacers, Pistons, Hornets, Nets, Heat, and Orlando are going to be fighting for the last two spots in the east.

It would be nice if Brooklyn could finish dead last in that group. We would be looking at a great pick then. All of those teams are within two games of Brooklyn and Brooklyn is about to take a huge nose dive with their upcoming schedule. The other teams are trending up while Brooklyn is trending down.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#53 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:20 pm

It's been a while since we have had a Nets update. I took some time to look over their remaining 30 games and I am confident that we will end up with a lottery pick. Here's what I found:

The Nets catch no breaks when returning from the all-star break as they start a tough stretch against Western teams. Their first 10 games after the all-star break are: @ LAL, @ Den, @N.O., @ Hous, @ Dall, vs GSW, vs Char, vs Phx, vs Utah, vs N.O. This looks like a 3-7 stretch, at best. Hopefully, Davis is back in time for both games with N.O. A poor stretch over these 10 could result in the Nets players throwing in the towel and collapsing over the last 20 games of the season.

They also have a very tough April with games against: NYK, Tor, Port, ATL x2, Wash, Milw, Chi, Orl.

Out of their final 30 games, they have 6 against Western playoff teams (assuming they make up the previously cancelled Portland game) and 2 games against the Pelicans. They will be lucky to win 1 or 2 of these. They have 8 games against the top 6 teams in the East along with 6 games against the grouping of Mia/Char/Bos/Indy.

They are currently only 1 game out of the 12th seed in the East. The 12th seed in the East would currently land us the 9th pick with a chance of going higher if their record falls below any of Den/Utah/Sac.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#54 » by theatlfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:It's been a while since we have had a Nets update. I took some time to look over their remaining 30 games and I am confident that we will end up with a lottery pick. Here's what I found:

The Nets catch no breaks when returning from the all-star break as they start a tough stretch against Western teams. Their first 10 games after the all-star break are: @ LAL, @ Den, @N.O., @ Hous, @ Dall, vs GSW, vs Char, vs Phx, vs Utah, vs N.O. This looks like a 3-7 stretch, at best. Hopefully, Davis is back in time for both games with N.O. A poor stretch over these 10 could result in the Nets players throwing in the towel and collapsing over the last 20 games of the season.

They also have a very tough April with games against: NYK, Tor, Port, ATL x2, Wash, Milw, Chi, Orl.

Out of their final 30 games, they have 6 against Western playoff teams (assuming they make up the previously cancelled Portland game) and 2 games against the Pelicans. They will be lucky to win 1 or 2 of these. They have 8 games against the top 6 teams in the East along with 6 games against the grouping of Mia/Char/Bos/Indy.

They are currently only 1 game out of the 12th seed in the East. The 12th seed in the East would currently land us the 9th pick with a chance of going higher if their record falls below any of Den/Utah/Sac.
Some thoughts on this:
1) I said it earlier in this thread, but every time I give them up for dead, they seem to resurrect. Kudos to whoever is responsible for that... probably KG... f'er.
2) I wonder if that 1.5 week rest that most teams are getting will help them more than others. Lots of injured and older guys who get a week of rest and heal up; lots of veteran guys who'll be looking in the mirror and doing some soul-searching.
3) I still think that out of every team out there, BRK is the team I expect to make a big move by the deadline. Not sure I'd say that I'd be shocked or stunned if they didn't find the right fit, but I'd be close to it. Keep thinking that they'll end up with Lance if not by the deadline then doing the off-season. We've already seen two deals so far that haven't quite gone through (B Lopez to OKC in a 3-way; JJ directly to CHAR), so I have to think that BRK is motivated to find the fit for CHAR.

I'll probably be following them more than our Hawks down the stretch though. We're pretty much guaranteed the 1 seed at this point. I think I calculated that if we go .500 from here out, then TOR would still have to win > 80% of their games to overtake us (that was before last night though...), so it'd take a historic collapse to lose the 1 seed. OTOH, It's looking like 9th place in the East will be picking at worst 12th this year and I think that, at this point at least, the top 12 in the draft have separated themselves from the field. I always worry about Ferry (if he's there) getting too smart for himself and reaching a bit like he did for Payne last year, but still, if we hold a pick that guarantees that we have a shot at one of those 12, then I'd be positively beside myself for our entire playoff run.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#55 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:10 pm

theatlfan wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:It's been a while since we have had a Nets update. I took some time to look over their remaining 30 games and I am confident that we will end up with a lottery pick. Here's what I found:

Some thoughts on this:
1) I said it earlier in this thread, but every time I give them up for dead, they seem to resurrect. Kudos to whoever is responsible for that... probably KG... f'er.
2) I wonder if that 1.5 week rest that most teams are getting will help them more than others. Lots of injured and older guys who get a week of rest and heal up; lots of veteran guys who'll be looking in the mirror and doing some soul-searching.
3) I still think that out of every team out there, BRK is the team I expect to make a big move by the deadline. Not sure I'd say that I'd be shocked or stunned if they didn't find the right fit, but I'd be close to it. Keep thinking that they'll end up with Lance if not by the deadline then doing the off-season. We've already seen two deals so far that haven't quite gone through (B Lopez to OKC in a 3-way; JJ directly to CHAR), so I have to think that BRK is motivated to find the fit for CHAR.

I'll probably be following them more than our Hawks down the stretch though. We're pretty much guaranteed the 1 seed at this point. I think I calculated that if we go .500 from here out, then TOR would still have to win > 80% of their games to overtake us (that was before last night though...), so it'd take a historic collapse to lose the 1 seed. OTOH, It's looking like 9th place in the East will be picking at worst 12th this year and I think that, at this point at least, the top 12 in the draft have separated themselves from the field. I always worry about Ferry (if he's there) getting too smart for himself and reaching a bit like he did for Payne last year, but still, if we hold a pick that guarantees that we have a shot at one of those 12, then I'd be positively beside myself for our entire playoff run.

I was really ticked at the Clippers last week when they gave up a 9 pt lead in the final minute of the game. I think their best play is behind them as they are 5-15 in their last 20. They were 16-16 before that stretch. The vets look like they have thrown in the towel and I expect them to get worse as they get further discouraged. That post-ASG 10 game stretch should remove any hope that is left. Hopefully, they can lose one of the first two against LAL or Denver.

I would like to see them get Lance. It would likely mean that Joe leaves and I could see the already disgruntled vets not getting along with Lance. That's a situation where it could sneak them in to the playoffs or turn in to a complete disaster. I will take my chances on it becoming a disaster.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#56 » by theatlfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:12 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I was really ticked at the Clippers last week when they gave up a 9 pt lead in the final minute of the game. I think their best play is behind them as they are 5-15 in their last 20. They were 16-16 before that stretch. The vets look like they have thrown in the towel and I expect them to get worse as they get further discouraged. That post-ASG 10 game stretch should remove any hope that is left. Hopefully, they can lose one of the first two against LAL or Denver.

I would like to see them get Lance. It would likely mean that Joe leaves and I could see the already disgruntled vets not getting along with Lance. That's a situation where it could sneak them in to the playoffs or turn in to a complete disaster. I will take my chances on it becoming a disaster.

You never really know what will happen to a team after the deadline though. Sometimes a team just looks around and says "f it, if this is what we got, then let's make it work" - like we did when Billy Knight blew us up and we went from dreaming on Dwight Howard to settling on Chills as a team full of expirings put together a decent little run down the stretch. For a veteran laden team like BRK, I could see things going down like that and they go 5-5/6-4 on that 10 game stretch you cite... hope not, but I could see it.

Agree on Lance. Thinking that the reasons the FO would love to land Lance (hometown kid, young, already a "star" that they can build around) would also lead to even more animosity in the locker room as the FO rearranges their plans with him as the centerpiece and shifts their current stars into the background. Would even be better in my mind if they somehow kept JJ in the deal. If we know our JJ, he'd absolutely go ape$hit once he realized that they wanted him to move to SF and take a back seat to Lance. We hear about fights in locker rooms all the time, but I'd wager that one would be one for the blood would be pouring in that one.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#57 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 pm

theatlfan wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I was really ticked at the Clippers last week when they gave up a 9 pt lead in the final minute of the game. I think their best play is behind them as they are 5-15 in their last 20. They were 16-16 before that stretch. The vets look like they have thrown in the towel and I expect them to get worse as they get further discouraged. That post-ASG 10 game stretch should remove any hope that is left. Hopefully, they can lose one of the first two against LAL or Denver.

You never really know what will happen to a team after the deadline though. Sometimes a team just looks around and says "f it, if this is what we got, then let's make it work" - like we did when Billy Knight blew us up and we went from dreaming on Dwight Howard to settling on Chills as a team full of expirings put together a decent little run down the stretch. For a veteran laden team like BRK, I could see things going down like that and they go 5-5/6-4 on that 10 game stretch you cite... hope not, but I could see it.

Agree on Lance. Thinking that the reasons the FO would love to land Lance (hometown kid, young, already a "star" that they can build around) would also lead to even more animosity in the locker room as the FO rearranges their plans with him as the centerpiece and shifts their current stars into the background. Would even be better in my mind if they somehow kept JJ in the deal. If we know our JJ, he'd absolutely go ape$hit once he realized that they wanted him to move to SF and take a back seat to Lance. We hear about fights in locker rooms all the time, but I'd wager that one would be one for the blood would be pouring in that one.

That team had two talented players, Jason Terry and Stephen Jackson, who were out to prove themselves and get paid. The best players on Brooklyn are all sitting fat and happy with max contracts while the rest of the team is D-league talent. Jack has 2 more years left on his deal while Garnett is begging to be bought out or for the season to end asap.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#58 » by Hawk Eye » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:06 am

Is brooklyn making a comeback? They just beat Dallas and Golden State. Barely lost to the rockets and ended up winning both of those west games against Denver, and Lakers. Man I hope not..
Hawkeyes
Sixth Man
And1: 1,559

Post#59 » by Hawkeyes » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:08 am

I give up on this Brooklyn team netting us a high pick. Every time I pull against them, they play out of their minds vs a very good team. I hate this Nets team.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#60 » by Hawk Eye » Tue Mar 3, 2015 3:13 am

Hawkeyes wrote:I give up on this Brooklyn team netting us a high pick. Every time I pull against them, they play out of their minds vs a very good team. I hate this Nets team.

A lot of the reasoning has to do with the addition of Thaddeus Young. As soon as that trade was made I said that would only help brooklyn and hurt us. He's been extremely effeicient in his last 3-4 games for them. Just sucks.

Return to Atlanta Hawks