ImageImage

With the current roster for the Hawks, would you rather pay?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

With the current roster for the Hawks, would you rather pay? 

Post#1 » by myrak433 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 2:18 am

$11 million per year to Monroe or Deng? Good ? I believe I would rather go with Monroe Then bring in Evan Turner with the Mid-level.
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: With the current roster for the Hawks, would you rather  

Post#2 » by PandaKidd » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:13 am

I feel like Monroe would move AH back to PF which leaves Millsap on the table to trade.

As discussed prior , Millsap can't really play SF so he would be odd man out if we bring in a starting center

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#3 » by hawkschop1 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 6:37 am

No need for Monroe. Horford and Millsap are a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#4 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:27 am

Monroe would be the smart choice. Millsap can come off the bench as a PF/SF and help limit Horford minutes to 28mpg.

I want to see Budz start protecting Horford in the regular season, limiting his minutes to below 30 and then letting him loose in the playoffs.

Monroe at center and Millsap as the 6th (to reply Louis) would also be a great insurance policy if Horford or Monroe ever got injured.

Another pipe dream would be to trade Millsap and sign Bosh or Wade instead of Monroe to a max contract.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#5 » by theatlfan » Sun Jul 6, 2014 1:15 pm

To me the real ? Is whether you think that Deng will push you over into championship contention or not. If he does, then it doesn't matter if Deng was always a little overrated and overpaid - he's a worthwhile investment even if you have to overpay. If you don't then why bother? He's declining and I have the suspicion that Deng's skills will drop quickly. Might as well bring in the young vet who you can be a piece if the core when making a run in 2- 4 years.

Personally, I don't think we're a championship contender and I don't think we're particularly close...
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#6 » by PandaKidd » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:04 pm

I just don't see Millsap going to the bench in a contract year when he clearly was good enough to start

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#7 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:11 pm

I would take deng. Hes currently the better all around player and he solves a need. Deng would add a starter to the team and would be able to close out games.

Monroe would come off the bench or push a starter to the bench. I would think that monroe would probably be on the bench at the end of games as well.

I think we could be contenders in the east next season if deng and thabo are both able to regain their 3 pt shooting touch while playing lockdown defense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
BAMABIRD
Senior
And1: 3

Post#8 » by BAMABIRD » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:13 pm

GM's across the league must think Deng has something left in the tank, or else they wouldn't be going after him.
davefmcl
Junior
And1: 2

Post#9 » by davefmcl » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:42 pm

Option C, offer Lance Stephenson a short term deal or one with team outs. He is young and talented a SG a position we need. I know he can be a head case, but if you structured the deal right it could be a chance worth taking and it hurt an Eastern rival.
For more Southern Sports, listen to the Southern Sports Universe Thursdays at 10:00 pm EST at blogtalkradio.com/nba or read about it at southernsportsuniverse.com
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#10 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:46 pm

davefmcl wrote:Option C, offer Lance Stephenson a short term deal or one with team outs. He is young and talented a SG a position we need. I know he can be a head case, but if you structured the deal right it could be a chance worth taking and it hurt an Eastern rival.

I would say SF is a far bigger need than SG. I would think that we would be better than indy whether they have stephenson or not so im not worried about stealing one of their players.

Add in the fact that stephenson could blow up at any moment and deng seems like the far better choice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:55 pm

I'm okay with Monroe coming off the bench, as long as we can limit Horford's minutes. Hawks need to protect Horford from playing full time center for another year.

If the Hawks get Deng, i just don't see Horford surviving another year.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#12 » by ATL Boy » Sun Jul 6, 2014 5:29 pm

davefmcl wrote:Option C, offer Lance Stephenson a short term deal or one with team outs. He is young and talented a SG a position we need. I know he can be a head case, but if you structured the deal right it could be a chance worth taking and it hurt an Eastern rival.

Why would Stephenson accept that when he'll probably get a 4 year contract close to, if not the, max in the open market?
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#13 » by Rip2137 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 6:37 pm

Why are people talking about watching Horfords minutes? Playing fewer minutes will not have prevented his torn pecs.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#14 » by D21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm OK for Monroe at 11M, but certainly not for Deng.

At least Monroe add a C, but the problem with Monroe is the restricted thing, that makes you wait until DET tells what they do.
It helps play Horford at PF, 16min if he plays between C and PF with Millsap playing with other 32 minutes (a bit less with other bench players), or all at PF if we would trade Millsap after getting Monroe.
The Monroe/Al/Millsap rotation would be fantastic, but at a relative high cost (32.5M)

Regarding Deng, the problem is different : he would play SF, before Carroll.
When I see that Carter (40% from 3s, more AST than Deng) is asking 3M and Marion 5M to re-sign with DAL, I simply can't imagine 11M to Deng.

Horford at C, with Millsap at PF and Deng at SF would be one of the best interior passing game, but for this price.
In this case, I'm OK with Deng for 8M, or a decreasing contract starting at 9-10M, but not more.

Last point : Deng these three last seasons : 63 - 75 - 54 games. Too risky for 11M

Other possibility : Monroe first, then a sign-&-trade for Deng with Millsap, but if CLE don't want Millsap, we need to find a third team.

BAMABIRD wrote:GM's across the league must think Deng has something left in the tank, or else they wouldn't be going after him.

Yes, they go after him, but do we know one GM telling him "I'd give you 11-12M" ?
He's good, but is overrated just because of his two All-Star selections, while even Josh Smith should have been selected instead of him (had he not launch long 2s, but Josh had clearly better production and and impact).

Even if nothing can tells if Josh would have stop his stupid plays if he got some recognition with an All-Star selection, the fact that Deng was selected over an ATL player and that now we would be the team overpaying him is just too much for me.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#15 » by theatlfan » Sun Jul 6, 2014 7:30 pm

ATL Boy wrote:

Why would Stephenson accept that when he'll probably get a 4 year contract close to, if not the, max in the open market?

Rumor Mill disagrees with you. Stephenson is a UFA so he is on the open market, and he's having a hard time getting someone to beat IND's offer of 5yr/$44M. He's young so I can't think he or his agent care much about length as they do per year averages where their target is in the $10-12M range. A short term incentive laden deal would make a lot of sense for Stephenson and his situation.
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#16 » by Skyhawk1 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 8:34 pm

Monroe's defense is atrocious and it will take more than 11M to get him here. He's a good player but not dominant. He's not a center either. He's just a PF with no outside shot. In other words, he's not worth it. I do not know if he can do anything better than Millsap. Guys, Deng + Millsap + Horford is a tremendous front court. None of them need the ball in their hands to be productive, all play good D, all can move without the ball and run the break. With Sefolosha and Teague, that's a great defensive team. I do not know what ($) it will take to get Deng here but I think he'll fit coach's bud system like a glove.
GO HAWKS.
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by D21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:40 pm

Skyhawk1 wrote:Monroe's defense is atrocious and it will take more than 11M to get him here. He's a good player but not dominant. He's not a center either. He's just a PF with no outside shot. In other words, he's not worth it. I do not know if he can do anything better than Millsap. Guys, Deng + Millsap + Horford is a tremendous front court. None of them need the ball in their hands to be productive, all play good D, all can move without the ball and run the break. With Sefolosha and Teague, that's a great defensive team. I do not know what ($) it will take to get Deng here but I think he'll fit coach's bud system like a glove.

- Maybe Monroe is not a true C, but he's effective at C, and not at PF.
He would cost 11M or more because of his age mainly.

- Horford+Millsap+Deng would be very good, but it doesn't mean we have to pay 11M for Deng, who missed almost 20 games per year on the last three years. The guy was overpaid by CHI but never realize it, so he wants the same kind of money.

If it's for the right price, I prefer Deng to Monroe because I know the starting 5 will work, but I would put the rest or keep it until it's use for help at C.

What's hurts me is Carter wanting 3M and Deng wanting 12M, while the overall difference would not be impressive.
BAMABIRD
Senior
And1: 3

Post#18 » by BAMABIRD » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:47 pm

For the right price, I think Deng is the best fit for Hawks. Deng's numbers went down after the Derrick Rose injuries because he basically had to carry the offensive burden with little help. Deng would have much more help with Horford, Teague, Sap, Korver, etc.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#19 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 11:41 pm

Skyhawk1 wrote:Monroe's defense is atrocious and it will take more than 11M to get him here. He's a good player but not dominant. He's not a center either. He's just a PF with no outside shot. In other words, he's not worth it. I do not know if he can do anything better than Millsap. Guys, Deng + Millsap + Horford is a tremendous front court. None of them need the ball in their hands to be productive, all play good D, all can move without the ball and run the break. With Sefolosha and Teague, that's a great defensive team. I do not know what ($) it will take to get Deng here but I think he'll fit coach's bud system like a glove.

Yup.
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by D21 » Tue Jul 8, 2014 1:22 pm

Staying in the 10M range, you can add Gasol in the discussion, because like Deng, it would be quick, while Monroe stands in the RFA rule.
What's your thoughts on adding him ?

I know it would work, for sure because he's the kind of player Bud wants, and it would allow to play Al at PF.
But :
- it wouldn't fix the wing help needed when Carroll and Korver are out (injuries or foul trouble)
- we are still not sure that Horford would be better at PF than C, but at least, it seems he would be more happy, and some people would think he wouldn't get injured again.

So the options could be :
- Gasol and a wing help (with room left or with Room-MLE of 2.7M) like Carter (more on offense than defense), Bazemore (which would explain why he's got no deal because we need to know first if we go after Gasol or Deng)
- Deng which would mean no need of Bazemore or other wing, and maybe another big guy.

Return to Atlanta Hawks