ImageImage

Hawks re-sign Mike Scott

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Re: Hawks re-sign Mike Scott 

Post#21 » by theatlfan » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:33 am

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I think ranking Scott by bigs is not the most efficient way to do it. Brand and Antic will both get all of their minutes at C so I don't see the point in including them. Scott will get most of his minutes at PF and he could end up getting a good bit at SF, depending on the matchup, if he shows improvement in the areas that are needed for that position. Scott will probably be the first PF off the bench to start the season.

SF: Demarre, Thabo?, Scott
PF: Millsap, Scott, Payne, Horford

I'm not sure if Muscala gets the majority of his minutes at PF or C. I forget what our rotations looked like when he played last year and they should look different with a healthy roster.
I have to disagree with all this.

1st, I know we all want Scott to be able to play SF (it would solve so many problems), but the issue is that he was generally pretty terrible at it in the scant minutes he played there the last 2 seasons. If he was any good there, do you honestly think that Cartier Martin would have gotten as many minutes as he did last season? I mean, Cartier was heroic for us, but he's replacement level at best. Or that Coach Bud would be wheeling out 3 PG lineups which he did especially late in the season when Korver or Demarre was out? All I ask here is that we at least wait until he actually proves he can play the position before we anoint him a spot on the DC... h3ll, I'd take the proof even if it came from the D-League.

2nd, the problem with assigning positions (i.e., Scott is the PF backup) is that this isn't and won't be how the minutes break out. Since Horford can play extended minutes at PF, Scott will have to overcome both a) the head to head battle against the backup Cs and b) whatever premium the coaching staff would put on being able to move Horford over to PF for spells (if any, I know us fans would like this but I don't know if the coaching staff actually cares). In the end, there's 96 minutes per (excluding OT) between PF and C and I expect - and hope - that Millsap and Horford will be getting 60-65 of those. Hence, there's only 33-38 minutes that Scott is competing for. If Antic helps us win more games by giving him 20 minutes at C and moving Horford to PF over inserting Scott @ PF, then no one has to guess as to who'll get those minutes. The only exception to this will be Payne who could get some "developmental" minutes as a 1st round pick... maybe Muscala could get some of those too. Unfortunately, I can't see a 26 yo 3rd year vet as someone who gets developmental minutes - either he wins his minutes or he rides the pine.
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:How exactly has the signing of guys like Scott and Mack affected our ability to land bigger names? I'm assuming that's what you are saying with this line. "we argue "flexibility" at every opportunity and want values across the board to the point were we're losing out on our top FA picks"

We lost out on our top FA picks because Horford went down last season along with several other injuries. Players see a 38 win season and think we're the same old Hawks team of old. We have to start consistently winning and finishing in the top 4 of the East while making noise in the playoffs before we start turning heads on the FA front. The best way to do that is by trying to win now while remaining flexibility, which seems like exactly what Ferry is doing.

Spent money on defense on guys who didn't shoot well last season?? Bazemore shot 37% from 3 once he started receiving regular PT with the Lakers. Thabo had a slow start to the season in the first 7 games and he struggled to shoot at the end of the season when he was recovering from an injury. He shot over 37% from 3 in the 49 games of the middle portion of the season. This is after shooting over 40% for the prior two years.

and once again you won't attract stars unless you start winning. Ferry is trying to win, while remaining flexible, so he can jump at the right star when the moment comes. We have to start winning first and this team is good enough to get the job done. We just need to stay healthy!

No, I don't think that an FA will say no to us because we have Scott or Mack nor do I think an FA would day no to us because we had Lou on the roster and Bebe overseas. Just that when it comes time for Ferry to decide he wants his flexibility again, Scott's contract in particular shines like a beacon that you can get out from it fairly easily without having to give up a king's ransom in the way of assets - again like Lou. 2 years ago, I wouldn't have thought that I'd be in favor of dumping Lou to get enough room to offer the max, but here we are. I see no reason to think the Scott contract will be much different.

Having said this, I do think you're a bit off-base with our FA pursuits. I think the reasons why we're not attracting FAs runs much deeper than one guy - or even a handful - getting injured. I'm not saying we didn't seem cursed last year - we did (dear God we did) - but we've been winning and that hasn't been the silver bullet that it seems your stating here. Look, you're an ATL fan as I am. Considering that you're as happy as I am just to while away the time discussing the team, I'd assume you're in the top 10% of Hawks' fans in terms of passion for the team. Even so, you cite that 38 wins as the same ole Hawks. But recent history says this isn't the same ole Hawks - we have the 2nd longest playoff streak in the NBA (outside the Spurs). At this point, the same ole Hawks team is a 2-and-out team which would also be a top 4 seed. Our problem isn't winning, it's perception. People see us as losers - h3ll, our own fans see us as losers - but we're not.

That isn't all though, we also have to analyze how we're going after FAs. If you're fishing for the Lunker, then you don't put bread crumbs on the hook. I've brought up on this board in the past what we pitch versus what other teams pitch and we're far inferior. Take us versus the field in the Dwight sweepstakes last year. HOU had a presentation and then brought in players - past and present - to woo him. IIRC, Hakeem was present; Parsons openly recruited him before, during, and after (albeit he had some selfish motives for doing so). LAL's presentation was similarly large and Kobe played a part. We show up with Ferry and the newly hired Coach Bud... no players, no steaks, no women - just two married white guys with 9 (!) kids between them. Being the "Hip Hop Capital", you'd think we could add a little zest. I think this attitude drips down as well and I cite our players reluctance to recruit others to help win. Noah openly admitted to recruiting players at the AS game; D-Wade recruiting Bosh and LeBron while with Team USA - these are just 2 high profile examples. How many times have you heard of Korver parlaying his VP of the Player's Union into a friendship with an upcoming FA? Or Horford's or Millsap's AS appearances being what amounts to a Rush Week? When Koonin came in, he talked about putting some zest back into the club and I was hoping that the 1st area he'd hit was how we pursued FAs. Apparently, we haven't turned that corner yet.

One last thing: Bazemore had a nice run with LAL but still shot < 34% from 3 for the season and doesn't really have a track record of being a shooter; Thabo's numbers were obviously down last year. Still, I don't care about this except to say this: I actually think it's a solid bet for us right now to bet on our shooting coach. Not only did Millsap and Demarre show an incredible turnaround last season in their deep shooting, but it seemed that everyone across the board had some improvement (except Teague although he took a bigger role in the O overall so there was a trade-off there). Now, sure, you don't go from < 30% to league average without a lot of things clicking and the shooting coach is just one aspect of this, but still... that guy worked wonders last season. I don't even know who the guy is, but I'm a believer in him.

azuresou1 wrote:Agree with ATLHawksfan in that we shouldn't be ranking Scott by bigs, but rather by likely minutes played at the forward positions. Furthermore, I think you can never have enough quality bigs or enough shooters, and Scott happens to fit both criteria at once.

I think Scott helps us win games, and it will be particularly evident in the playoffs when Scott can be the second big/forward off of the bench and playing effective minutes while other teams are bringing in guys like Kevin Seraphin or Bismack Biyombo.

I think we're very much looking to San Antonio for inspiration, and noticing how shooters like Patty Mills and Gary Neal have come off the bench in the playoffs and had huge impacts on games. I'd expect that we look for Mike Scott to have a similar role.
I answered part of this above, but I'll put this out here: as of right now, Mike Scott is no better than the 6th best shooting big we have under contract right now. In terms of strictly shooting a set shot, Horford and Millsap are easy; Muscala and Payne have the reputation and pedigree; I'd also take Antic over him... Brand too if we sign him. Now, Scott is a far better scorer than some of those, but as a shooter, I think you are overrating him by quite a bit here.

The other thing here is the comment on SAS. I see a lot of things about SAS, but I have to say that paying someone $3.3M to be in the deep rotation is about at the bottom of the list I can see SAS doing. Their hallmarks are a) having role players who can be positive on court contributors throughout the rotation and b) never overpaying them. Let me put it this way: Gary Neal was a sometimes starter who played more minutes than Scott albeit he was slightly older. When MIL offered Neal a contract somewhat similar to Scott's, SAS didn't bother to put up a fight, they just went to the next guy. This is the difference between us and SAS - SAS has the confidence they can find the next guy and won't overpay the current guy because of it. Not only did we overpay, but we overpaid against a (fictitious) Russian team.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#22 » by azuresou1 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 6:40 am

I think you're being biased here against Mike Scott TBQH. I don't see how he's at WORST our fourth best big man shooter.

3Pt Range Ranking: Millsap, Payne (supposedly), Mike Scott, Antic
2Pt Range Ranking: Horford, Payne (supposedly), Antic, Muscala, Scott, Brand, Millsap

Keep in mind that Antic entirely disappeared offensively against the Pacers despite having wide open looks created for him and actually posted a NEGATIVE PER due to his 3/25 shooting from deep. Also consider that Payne is an unproven rookie who shot 30% from 3 in Summer League.

Feel free to check the stats if you don't believe me:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2014.html
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2014/teams/hawks/

As for SAS, they just signed Patty Mills to a 3 year 10 million fully guaranteed deal, in a season where they played similar minutes in total and per game, and in general were comparable players. Mills had a better season, but he also got the benefit of playing with better talent around him which is pretty important for shooters. It's also why he's getting paid more, and without a team option on the third year.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#23 » by azuresou1 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 6:42 am

Also not sure why you think we overpaid "against a (fictitious) Russian team" when CSKA Moscow is very real, and Adrian Wojnarowski has the best sources in all of basketball.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#24 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 5:06 pm

ATLfan

"you cite that 38 wins as the same ole Hawks. But recent history says this isn't the same ole Hawks - we have the 2nd longest playoff streak in the NBA (outside the Spurs). At this point, the same ole Hawks team is a 2-and-out team which would also be a top 4 seed. Our problem isn't winning, it's perception. People see us as losers - h3ll, our own fans see us as losers - but we're not."

You have me so confused right now. You disagree with me and then make the same point that I am trying to make. Horford's injury along with all of the other injuries caused us to finish with a 38 win team. Me and you both know that this isn't the same Hawks team of yesteryear, but the majority of players do not know this. Especially a guy like Pau Gasol who only sees us twice a year and lives on the other side of the country. I was saying that the players and league view us as the same old Hawks team.

This perception will not change until we win 50 games and make a strong showing in the playoffs. I'm talking about a 7 game 2nd round series or making it to the ECF. I think we can do this when healthy.

To your point about Bazemore's shooting. I would think that his shooting percentages while receiving regular playing time are more reliable than when he is playing spot minutes. One's rhythm plays a big factor in their shooting and shooting confidence and it's must easier to stay in rhythm when you are receiving regular playing time.

Hate on Scott all you want, but he is our 3rd best scoring big. Antic, Muscala, Brand aren't near the scoring threats that Scott is. The jury is still out on Payne, but I will be surprised and very happy to see him pose a greater scoring threat than Scott right out of the gate.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#25 » by theatlfan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 am

azuresou1 wrote:I think you're being biased here against Mike Scott TBQH. I don't see how he's at WORST our fourth best big man shooter.

3Pt Range Ranking: Millsap, Payne (supposedly), Mike Scott, Antic
2Pt Range Ranking: Horford, Payne (supposedly), Antic, Muscala, Scott, Brand, Millsap

Keep in mind that Antic entirely disappeared offensively against the Pacers despite having wide open looks created for him and actually posted a NEGATIVE PER due to his 3/25 shooting from deep. Also consider that Payne is an unproven rookie who shot 30% from 3 in Summer League.

Feel free to check the stats if you don't believe me:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2014.html
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2014/teams/hawks/

As for SAS, they just signed Patty Mills to a 3 year 10 million fully guaranteed deal, in a season where they played similar minutes in total and per game, and in general were comparable players. Mills had a better season, but he also got the benefit of playing with better talent around him which is pretty important for shooters. It's also why he's getting paid more, and without a team option on the third year.
1st, Mike Scott is not a comparable player to Patty Mills and I really don't understand how someone could believe they are. They may both be shooters, but Mills has shot > 40% for the last 3 years while Scott's "breakout" season still has him @ 31%. Mills is an elite 3PT shooter; I'm not sure if I could call Scott below average. Both have some offensive abilities outside of being strictly a spot up shooter, but Mills actually offers D whereas Scott doesn't at any position.

2nd, not sure why Antic is behind Scott on your 3PT list while Muscala is somehow missing. Albeit both were terrible at it, Antic shot was clearly better than Scott last season (hair shy of 33% to 31%... Aside: considering that you linked this I have to ask: what were you looking at?). Yeah, Antic was all around terrible in the span of 7 games in the playoffs, but let's not throw away a season's worth of data just because Scott played the game of his life in one of 7 games (although he was also generally terrible in the other 6).

Muscala might be the best shooter of the bunch and is a potential stud here. His combine performance was generally top 5 amoung all positions - not just bigs. I'm sure that are several examples around the interwebz but here's the first one I ran across:
Chad Ford/ESPN wrote:His workout on Friday was extraordinary. It's no exaggeration to say that he missed two shots the entire workout. His skill set both around the basket (with an impressive jump hook) and facing the basket (especially from midrange out to the college 3-point line) was terrific. He has perfect form on his jump shot and a nice touch.

He showed the same shooting ability at the NBA draft combine last week, when he led all players with a 76 percent shooting percentage. Clearly he and Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk are the most skilled big men in the draft and their college PERs back it up. Olynyk was ranked first and Muscala second in the nation in PER.
Link (Subscription Required)

As I noted above, I do agree that Scott is a better scorer than some of these guys though (although it's a *big* stretch to say he's better than Millsap here). He shoots from more efficient positions and can get to the rim and finish. Let's not overstate this though: his lack of D overcomes this scoring ability and makes him, at best, a neutral player overall. Most of the advanced stats that I have seen actually have him as a negative player - albeit one that the eye test will tell you can get hot and win a game for you.
azuresou1 wrote:Also not sure why you think we overpaid "against a (fictitious) Russian team" when CSKA Moscow is very real, and Adrian Wojnarowski has the best sources in all of basketball.
I meant that the offer was fictitious in that it was overstated, but even so, my statement was properly worded and I could see how it would cause confusion. My apologies.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:You have me so confused right now. You disagree with me and then make the same point that I am trying to make. Horford's injury along with all of the other injuries caused us to finish with a 38 win team. Me and you both know that this isn't the same Hawks team of yesteryear, but the majority of players do not know this. Especially a guy like Pau Gasol who only sees us twice a year and lives on the other side of the country. I was saying that the players and league view us as the same old Hawks team.

This perception will not change until we win 50 games and make a strong showing in the playoffs. I'm talking about a 7 game 2nd round series or making it to the ECF. I think we can do this when healthy.

To your point about Bazemore's shooting. I would think that his shooting percentages while receiving regular playing time are more reliable than when he is playing spot minutes. One's rhythm plays a big factor in their shooting and shooting confidence and it's must easier to stay in rhythm when you are receiving regular playing time.

Hate on Scott all you want, but he is our 3rd best scoring big. Antic, Muscala, Brand aren't near the scoring threats that Scott is. The jury is still out on Payne, but I will be surprised and very happy to see him pose a greater scoring threat than Scott right out of the gate.
I think the disagreement comes more from how to fix it than what the problem is. The perception is that we're a losing team, but we're not - we're actually a treadmill 2 and out team. How is winning more going to fix this perception? We're in a Catch-22: we need to break through the treadmill to break the perception of not being winners but to do that, we need a big name star; to land a big-name star though we need a buzz; to create a buzz we either have to go deeper in the playoffs (or land a(nother) big name star or...).

Honestly, I think the best way to land that big name star in FA is to create a buzz from the top. Much like when Arthur Blank acquired the Falcons they went from being a team that many saw as an afterthought to a team that could land those big-name FAs. When reading the initial PCs, I thought that the ASG was on the right track with the Koonin hire, but after this off-season, the best I can say is that the results weren't immediate. All we can do now is wait - and hope.

The problem with Bazemore are that 1) his FT% doesn't really match his 3PT% in any stretch and 2) he didn't really have a track record of stellar shooting going back six years which includes his 4 years of college ball. Many times people look at FT% to determine if a player is just having a good/bad streak at the 3PT line and Bazemore has hovered in the 60% range from the line going back to his FR year in college. His 23 games / 15 starts with LAL is the 2nd best shooting numbers - in both 3PT% and FT% - after his JR year of college and he had a significant dip in his SR year of college. Not to say I think he's worthless - I don't I'm very excited about his acquisition. Just think that thinking that the handful of minutes we saw of him in LAL isn't necessarily what we should be expecting "out of the box" in terms of his shooting. I do think we'll see a much more in other parts of his O (including the ability to be the 2nd creator on that side of the court) than we are discussing around here and he has shutdown potential on D. He could be a stud in the near future and that's regardless of whether his shot remains hot.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#26 » by azuresou1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 am

Antic shot so badly in the playoffs that if you look at their shooting over the course of the entire season, Antic shot worse than Scott. Besides, that Antic shot 'better' in regular season but was a complete no-show offensively in the playoffs just reinforces that we have a need for multiple shooters off the bench. Mike Scott was a huge contributor in Game 5 and honestly I think he was the difference between a win and a loss. And really, that's what we're signing him for - for the chance he gets hot in a playoff game and carries us.

As for Muscala, I like him a lot and if you go to the Summer League thread you'll see me constantly tooting his horn. However, he hasn't yet extended his range out to 3, while Scott can shoot from out there.

I don't expect much out of Scott or Bazemore in terms of development into a starter-tier player, but I do think they'll both be solid role players off the bench. And again, if the two of them give us a combined 3 wins in the playoffs, that could very well be the difference between a 2nd round exit and making it to the ECF.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:49 pm

And now it is official:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/504045208305020928[/tweet]

we are officially a treadmill team...exuding all that energy, but heading nowhere fast.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#28 » by azuresou1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:09 pm

ESPN/AP was a lot more positive about the re-signing:

ATLANTA -- The Hawks have re-signed Mike Scott, who improved his 3-point shot in his second season and almost doubled his scoring average.

Hawks general manager Danny Ferry says the 6-foot-8 forward impressed the team by expanding his game.

Terms of the deal were not released, but the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Scott agreed to a three-year deal worth $10 million.

"Mike has worked hard and continues to adapt, improve and expand his all-around game," Ferry said in a statement. "We are very happy to have him with us going forward and we look forward to his continued growth with our group."

Scott, a second-round pick from Virginia in 2012, averaged 9.6 points last season, up from 4.6 as a rookie. He started six of his 80 games and also averaged 3.6 rebounds.

Scott made 62 of 200 3-point attempts last season after missing his only 3 as a rookie. His five second-quarter 3s in Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs against Indiana were the second-highest total in any period in NBA playoff history.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11411 ... ring-surge
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#29 » by D21 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 pm

We knew they would signed, but now that Mack and Scott made it official, they count for a different value against the cap.

It was the Q.O. before the signing, now it's the first year, so Mack adds about $1M and Scott adds about $2M.
This leaves a bit more than $7M of cap room.

All numbers are here : Update August 26th : Mike Scott signs his offer

Return to Atlanta Hawks