ImageImage

Are Hawks Contenders in the East with Horford Back?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: Are Hawks Contenders in the East with Horford Back? 

Post#21 » by azuresou1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm calling out what I see as intellectual dishonesty in debate, which I vehemently hate. If you're going to quote someone you owe them the justice of quoting them in context, which in this case includes quoting his entire sentence which had the very important preface of "Lebron James isn't walking through the Heat's door any more so ..."

That is the literal definition of taking things out of context and quote manipulation.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:56 pm

azuresou1 wrote:I'm calling out what I see as intellectual dishonesty in debate, which I vehemently hate. If you're going to quote someone you owe them the justice of quoting them in context, which in this case includes quoting his entire sentence which had the very important preface of "Lebron James isn't walking through the Heat's door any more so ..."

That is the literal definition of taking things out of context and quote manipulation.

I'm calling out lack of reasoning and coherence in debate.

My issue isn't with his conclusion. It's with the contradiction in his argument.

HE offers up last years 2-2 record vs MIA in argument of his point.

HE then immediately dismisses 'using past seasons to judge this coming season'.

If past records shouldn't be used to indicate future success...why did he bring it up in the first place?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#23 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Always trying to make crazy arguments appear out of no where.

You must be a real joy to be around in person with this constant defeated negative attitude.

Have fun being negative and I will stay positive. I'm just ready for the season to begin so I can watch this team reach 50+ wins.

Let's just say I believe in what I can see and touch. Hope and optimism are for children and those without responsibilities. As adults, we are forced to deal with cold realities on a daily basis.

Every successful person I have ever met/studied/admired...advocates true, deep, meaningful self-reflection. Analyzing your weaknesses and taking action to shore them up. It's a sign of maturity, humility and discipline to acknowledge hard truths.

If Danny Ferry shows up and says the status quo isn't good enough, tears down the team and pursues elite talent and a championship contender, why are we as fans so quick to accept the mediocrity of the unfinished product?

Hard truths aren't a bad thing. They are necessary for true improvement.

There are no sacred cows here.

SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#24 » by SBM » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:Always trying to make crazy arguments appear out of no where.

You must be a real joy to be around in person with this constant defeated negative attitude.

Have fun being negative and I will stay positive. I'm just ready for the season to begin so I can watch this team reach 50+ wins.

Let's just say I believe in what I can see and touch. Hope and optimism are for children and those without responsibilities. As adults, we are forced to deal with cold realities on a daily basis.

Every successful person I have ever met/studied/admired...advocates true, deep, meaningful self-reflection. Analyzing your weaknesses and taking action to shore them up. It's a sign of maturity, humility and discipline to acknowledge hard truths.

If Danny Ferry shows up and says the status quo isn't good enough, tears down the team and pursues elite talent and a championship contender, why are we as fans so quick to accept the mediocrity of the unfinished product?

Hard truths aren't a bad thing. They are necessary for true improvement.

There are no sacred cows here.

Sums me up as well
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#25 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
CAVS ARE BACK wrote:Good team but behind Cleveland/Chicago/Miami. If they would have added, a player the caliber of Deng for example, they could have been #2.

I will give you Cleveland and Chicago; however, I can't say the same for Miami. We were 2-2 against them last season. They were healthy in all 4 games while we were missing Horford in our 2 wins and Millsap in one of the losses. The other loss was an OT loss. Miami got significantly worse in the offseason while we slightly improved (majorly improved if you count the return of Horford).

I'm not saying you're a worse team than Miami, I just think the Hawks will finish 4th.

Return to Atlanta Hawks