ImageImage

Budenholzer Pulling Double-Duty

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Budenholzer Pulling Double-Duty 

Post#41 » by PandaKidd » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:31 pm

jayu70 wrote:If they were able to bring back BOTH, the Tiago deal would not have occurred.

They coudlnt DO both, I thought (GOING OFF MEMORY HERE) theres 0% chance DMC AND Paul Millsap were coming back unless DMC was willing to take like a 8-10 million dollar a year hometown discount.

we knew WELL in advance that DMC wasnt coming back. We chose to go after MIllsap regardless. Spliter was coming here no matter what.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#42 » by jayu70 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:If they were able to bring back BOTH, the Tiago deal would not have occurred.

I simply need some type of corroborating evidence. Some whisper, insider, off the record comment.

Cause that makes no sense.

(NAH, we need a center but keep your affordable, championship winning Center to yourself. We have Mike Muscala and Edt Tavares instead?)

Kevin Arnovitz ✔ @kevinarnovitz
Hawks had a breaking point on Carroll in the neighborhood of 4/$50M. Might have nudged up a bit, but not significantly.
12:06 PM - 1 Jul 2015 · Los Angeles, CA, United States
20 20 Retweets 10 10 likes

I can't locate the article (maybe by C-Viv) about the Hawks surprise in the wee hours of FAcy that the Hawks were surprised by what DMC's camp was being offered and what guys like Aminu were getting.(That's where not having Ferry would have helped)

The Atlanta Hawks wanted to bring the band back after winning 60 games in the regular season, but couldn't do so for financial reasons. DeMarre Carroll agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with the Toronto Raptors on the first day of free agency, and he said in a radio interview on Sunday that the Hawks told him they had to choose between him and Paul Millsap, who agreed to a three-year, $59 million deal:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:37 pm

PandaKidd wrote:WHAT THE EFFFFFF IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND HERE LOL

The Spurs wanted LMA, they needed cap space. They had a "deal" in place with the Hawks to help each other out. Hawks get DEPTH and "REBOUNDING" and the SPurs walk into a meeting with LMA with the ability to match other suitors offers. That was the WHOLE POINT.

Demarre Carroll wasnt staying here unless he took a 8-10 million dollar hometown discount, which he said during the playoffs and after the season ended, WASNT HAPPENING.

Did the Hawks EVEN make DMC an offer? I dont think they did.

:o

Yeah. You and I are in agreement. Spurs needed to dump Tiago and called us first. We needed a Center and started working to make Tiago's acquisition possible.

I do not believe Jayu's claim that we'd have passed on acquiring Tiago for nothing if MIllsap had bailed for a huge offer elsewhere, though.

Not after what we saw Tristan and Mozgov do to us in the playoffs. I believe Tiago's presence became necessary after Brand proved ineffective in 2015 and Pero started leaning back towards overseas.

I believe Tiago's acquisition was already in progress, and would have occurred regardless of Millsap's decision.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 1, 2016 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter

This is what necessitated acquiring Tiago. And Splitter also made sense in the off chance Millsap decided to go elsewhere. As he could step right in and start at Center.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#45 » by PandaKidd » Mon Feb 1, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah, I mean i dont really get how hard it is to understand. Pero and Brand were walking (we didnt want Pero back).

We knew we werent resigning DeMC.

Splitter was coming here no matter what, lose millsap, we have Splitter/HOR , we retain Millsap, even better Splitter replaces Pero.

We decided we were bringing over Tavarres as well IIRC to kind of be the BRAND role
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Mark Bradley over at AJC seems less than enthused with Kirk Hinrich's acquisition, especially when combined with the other less than stellar moves made by Wes and Bud. MB becomes the first prominent voice to publicly question the acumen of our new Front office personnel:

Mark Bradley wrote:The more I see of the post-Ferry Hawks’ moves, the more I miss Danny Ferry. Since Budenholzer and Wes took charge of personnel, the Hawks have:
  • Traded Adreian Payne to Minnesota for a lottery-protected pick
  • Parlayed the 15th pick in the 2015 draft into Tim Hardaway Jr, the Hawks’ 10th man
  • Traded for Tiago Splitter (who has done little here before getting hurt)

Now...They traded two guards who didn’t play much plus a second-round pick for a 35-year-old guard who was past his prime four years ago.
Here

I've no doubt Grant Hill and Anthony Ressler are very aware of the public's perception of the team through the first 12 months of their ownership.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Bradley at AJC notes that the luster has fallen off of Budenholzer less than a year after winning Top Coaching Honors and being named Pres of BBall Operations:

Last spring, Mike Budenholzer was named the NBA’s coach of the year. He finished fourth in the voting for executive of the year.

Question: How many votes — even third-place ones — is Budenholzer apt to draw for anything this season?

When you plunge from 46-12 after 58 games to 31-27, you’re no longer flavor of the month.

...the man who once had all the answers appears stumped. The Hawks’ only successful major move since Budenholzer became de facto team president has been to keep Paul Millsap as a free agent, and even that hasn’t had the desired effect. They’re on pace to go 44-38, which is exactly how they fared in Years 1 and 3 under Larry Drew.

A year later, here’s what they have: A president who had no background in presidential matters but fell into the job on an interim basis, and a coach whose master plan — Pace and Space! — has already reached the point of diminishing returns.

Take away DeMarre Carroll, slash Kyle Korver’s effect by two-thirds, cut Jeff Teague’s production by a fourth, and what do you have? A reminder that, in the NBA, scheme is nice but it’s the players who matter. As was revealed in the playoffs, the 60-win Hawks weren’t exactly a team of top-shelf talent. If we credit Budenholzer for making that talent look better than it was, we must debit him for not effecting any sort of offseason upgrade.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#48 » by ATL Boy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Bradley at AJC notes that the luster has fallen off of Budenholzer less than a year after winning Top Coaching Honors and being named Pres of BBall Operations:

Last spring, Mike Budenholzer was named the NBA’s coach of the year. He finished fourth in the voting for executive of the year.

Question: How many votes — even third-place ones — is Budenholzer apt to draw for anything this season?

When you plunge from 46-12 after 58 games to 31-27, you’re no longer flavor of the month.

...the man who once had all the answers appears stumped. The Hawks’ only successful major move since Budenholzer became de facto team president has been to keep Paul Millsap as a free agent, and even that hasn’t had the desired effect. They’re on pace to go 44-38, which is exactly how they fared in Years 1 and 3 under Larry Drew.

A year later, here’s what they have: A president who had no background in presidential matters but fell into the job on an interim basis, and a coach whose master plan — Pace and Space! — has already reached the point of diminishing returns.

Take away DeMarre Carroll, slash Kyle Korver’s effect by two-thirds, cut Jeff Teague’s production by a fourth, and what do you have? A reminder that, in the NBA, scheme is nice but it’s the players who matter. As was revealed in the playoffs, the 60-win Hawks weren’t exactly a team of top-shelf talent. If we credit Budenholzer for making that talent look better than it was, we must debit him for not effecting any sort of offseason upgrade.

Can't really argue with that.

Like Bradley says: good coaching is nice, but championships are dependent on the players you have to work with, and that comes from the GM office. Bud isn't a good enough GM to make this team a title contender IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:21 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Can't really argue with that.

Like Bradley says: good coaching is nice, but championships are dependent on the players you have to work with, and that comes from the GM office. Bud isn't a good enough GM to make this team a title contender IMO.

:nod:

Every team gets to reload during the off-season. Doing nothing last summer and just assuming we'd be able to get back to the top of the standings was short-sighted.

Especially given how we struggled throughout the entire playoffs. Especially given how a wounded CLE team dismantled us with minimal effort.

Doubling down at the trade deadline and refusing to make moves to improve in the short or long-term... :nonono:

Even worse.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#50 » by PandaKidd » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:53 pm

well we did make moves this offseason:

Tiago SPlitter - Everyone loved it. GRADE - F.
THJ- Everyone scratched their head. GRADE- C+ for now. If Portis has a much better career - F
Justin Holiday- Everyone loved it. GRADE- F No longer on the team

That was your moves. Bringing Tavares/Patterson over was just expected.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#51 » by Yungsta404 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 am

Bud was handed the keys to the franchise way too soon. He was only finishing his 2nd year as a head coach. He has been awful.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#52 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:53 am

From the beginning, when the situation happen, i have always said that Ferry should not be fired.

Ferry was great at making cap space. He was great at getting talent at a bargain price, and he was decent at drafting, getting Dennis, Mike Scott, and having strong interest in Draymond Green as a first round pick.

Return to Atlanta Hawks