Official "get the Hawks a center" thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Official "get the Hawks a center" thread 

Post#1 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:02 am

Exactly what the title says. I think we can all agree that after losing to the 1-9 Lakers, this team needs a center. This thread is for specific trade scenarios/ideas for us as well as outside fans to get the Hawks a center.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,224

Re: Official "get the Hawks a center" thread 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 am

Koufus, Perkins, NBA draft. Someone who will box out and defend the paint. Need a real center just to do the dirty work, nothing fancy.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#3 » by SBM » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 am

Don't need necessarily need a C.

JJ Hickson
Faried
Reggie Evans

guys like that have shown time and time again that the will to rebound trumps size.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#4 » by PandaKidd » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:41 am

I agree with SBM at this point we have hitched our wagon to AH, we just need anyone serviceable.

Hell COLE ALDRICH, PERKINS anyone with size.

We would take on thabo but not Perkins?

Why not make a run at zaza again last year.

I see almost every other team with at least 1 serviceable big, we have none. Pero and brand ....

Even NYK found some size

Sent from my VS980 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:01 am

PandaKidd wrote:I agree with SBM at this point we have hitched our wagon to AH, we just need anyone serviceable.

I see almost every other team with at least 1 serviceable big, we have none. Pero and brand ....

Even NYK found some size

Why not do cole Aldrich for John Jenkins? Win win. NYK is clearly in heavy tank mode and they get a prospect out of the deal and we actually get immediate rebound help instead of watching Jenkins rot on the bench.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#6 » by Yungsta404 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 am

PMOTT3 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:I agree with SBM at this point we have hitched our wagon to AH, we just need anyone serviceable.

Even NYK found some size

Why not do cole Aldrich for John Jenkins? Win win. NYK is clearly in heavy tank mode and they get a prospect out of the deal and we actually get immediate rebound help instead of watching Jenkins rot on the bench.

the knicks already have a log jam at the SG position with shump, hardaway, and smith.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#7 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:03 am

SBM wrote:Don't need necessarily need a C.

JJ Hickson
Faried
Reggie Evans

guys like that have shown time and time again that the will to rebound trumps size.

I was also thinking of Reggie Evans or Biyombo
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 am

I would be willing to trade Horford, .50c to the dollar for a 10rpg center...... maybe Horford for Mason Plumlee
SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by SBM » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I would be willing to trade Horford, .50c to the dollar for a 10rpg center...... maybe Horford for Mason Plumlee

Got damn man, your really ready to move on. :D
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 am

SBM wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I would be willing to trade Horford, .50c to the dollar for a 10rpg center...... maybe Horford for Mason Plumlee

...... how about Horford for Gorgui Dieng..... his PER36 has him at 14/13
SBM
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by SBM » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:31 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
SBM wrote:

Not straight up.

Maybe Dieng, Martin, and a 1st.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#12 » by simon24 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 am

The Hawks don't need a center. They just need Horford to get 100% soon so Coach Bud stop playing Antic so much.

Some strange reason Bud gives extended minutes to Antic over Brand and Muscula but that's another issue. I'm guessing they both stinking it up in practice.

Bud is going to need Brand and Muscula in Friday's game against DET. It's not a guaranteed Josh will start at PF so they may go with their Smith/Monroe/Drummond lineup.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 am

I feel like Payne would do a heck of a job rebounding and attacking the glass for us but i don't think Bud will ever give him playing time unless as a unit we become severely injured.
djjob23
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#14 » by djjob23 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:47 pm

We could wait and attempt to sign RFA Enes Kanter next offseason, but I've Gorgui Dieng on my radar for a while now. How about:

Horford / Antic for Dieng / Young / 1st

I also have Meyers Leonard and Spencer Hawes on my radar.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:15 am

What about Greg Monroe? How would trade talks work "legal wise" since he took the QO this summer?
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#16 » by D21 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 am

simon24 wrote:...Some strange reason Bud gives extended minutes to Antic over Brand and Muscula but that's another issue. I'm guessing they both stinking it up in practice...

It's simple : at this moment, with Horford not at 100% and with just a few games played, the team is his best with Antic. Sad but true. He makes some ugly plays, doesn't rebound, but he creates mismatch problems.
He has the best +/- by far since the beginning of the season, even if he was in negative on the last three games.

The main problem IMO, is that he should be used as an option, depending on opponent, but not on the same regular basis like a primary option. We have to test other player like Payne.

PMOTT3 wrote:I feel like Payne would do a heck of a job rebounding and attacking the glass for us but i don't think Bud will ever give him playing time unless as a unit we become severely injured.

It would be interesting to at least try him now, instead of discovering at the end of the season that he can rebound more than other players.

PMOTT3 wrote:What about Greg Monroe? How would trade talks work "legal wise" since he took the QO this summer?

He can't be traded without his consent, and if traded, he loses his bird rights, so we would be able to offer 4.5% raise like any other team next summer, and use cap room to sign him (would not be consider like our own F.A.)
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#17 » by simon24 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm

D21 wrote:
simon24 wrote:...Some strange reason Bud gives extended minutes to Antic over Brand and Muscula but that's another issue. I'm guessing they both stinking it up in practice...

It's simple : at this moment, with Horford not at 100% and with just a few games played, the team is his best with Antic. Sad but true. He makes some ugly plays, doesn't rebound, but he creates mismatch problems.
He has the best +/- by far since the beginning of the season, even if he was in negative on the last three games.

The main problem IMO, is that he should be used as an option, depending on opponent, but not on the same regular basis like a primary option. We have to test other player like Payne.

PMOTT3 wrote:I feel like Payne would do a heck of a job rebounding and attacking the glass for us but i don't think Bud will ever give him playing time unless as a unit we become severely injured.

It would be interesting to at least try him now, instead of discovering at the end of the season that he can rebound more than other players.

PMOTT3 wrote:What about Greg Monroe? How would trade talks work "legal wise" since he took the QO this summer?

He can't be traded without his consent, and if traded, he loses his bird rights, so we would be able to offer 4.5% raise like any other team next summer, and use cap room to sign him (would not be consider like our own F.A.)

Yeah I've seen those numbers about Antic. I believe it showed he was an underrated post defender. They're going to get tested Friday with the big DET front court.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:15 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
SBM wrote:

It's worth noting that Horford's Per36 avg have him with 16/8 with a comparable def rating and Wins Share as Gorgui.

I really like Gorgui Dieng, but don't think he and Millsap paired make us much better or tougher up front. I'd love to get Dieng and a healthy Horford paired together. THAT would be a matchup that could give fits in the playoffs when the game slows down.

Horford will get better. The last time he came back from this injury, he caught fire in February and was unstoppable.

Dieng is indeed a worthy trade target. But to complement AL. Not replace him.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:15 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
SBM wrote:

It's worth noting that Horford's Per36 avg have him with 16/8 with a comparable def rating and Wins Share as Gorgui.

I really like Gorgui Dieng, but don't think he and Millsap paired make us much better or tougher up front. I'd love to get Dieng and a healthy Horford paired together. THAT would be a matchup that could give fits in the playoffs when the game slows down.

Horford will get better. The last time he came back from this injury, he caught fire in February and was unstoppable.

Dieng is indeed a worthy trade target. But to complement AL. Not replace him.

I think you have to accept the fact that it has nothing to do with Horford's "health", and it all has to do with Horford's "decline"
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:18 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think you have to accept the fact that it has nothing to do with Horford's "health", and it all has to do with Horford's "decline"

Decline?

At age 28? After 11 games?

Less than a year after the best production of his career?

I would respectfully disagree. Two weeks ago you posited that Millsap might need to go to the bench similar to Manu after a rough 5 game stretch to start the season. A week later he's playing some of the best ball of his life.

I would simply preach patience regarding AL. The guy went 10 months without playing organized team ball. He's only been back a handful of weeks.

One point brought up here that is very telling: Horford has now changed his workout regimen. Eliminating the bench press from his daily workout. This will inevitably lead to less upper body strength and a smaller AL . With him already an undersized Center who struggles against the big 5s in the league, this could absolutely be an issue going forward.

I agree with the overall point that we need a Center. A point I have been stating repeatedly for years.

Return to Atlanta Hawks