Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

BREAKING: Pistons "RELEASE" JOSH SMITH 

Post#1 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 pm

WOW. Team Killer

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/p ... /20760861/

The Detroit Pistons announced today the club has requested waivers on forward Josh Smith.

"Our team has not performed the way we had expected throughout the first third of the season and adjustments need to be made in terms of our focus and direction," said Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach and President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons. "We are shifting priorities to aggressively develop our younger players while also expanding the roles of other players in the current rotation to improve performance and build for our future. As we expand certain roles, others will be reduced. In fairness to Josh, being a highly versatile 10-year veteran in this league, we feel it's best to give him his freedom to move forward. We have full respect for Josh as a player and a person."

The 6-foot-9, 225-pound forward has averaged 13.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.7 assists while shooting 39.1% from the field, 24.3% from three point range and 46.8% from the free throw line. In 105 games with the Pistons, the Georgia native averaged 15.5 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game.

Smith was acquired by the Pistons as a free agent on July 10, 2013. Drafted with the 17th overall selection in the 2004 NBA Draft by the Atlanta Hawks, the former Oak Hill Academy product has averaged 15.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 2.0 blocks and 34.2 minutes in 781 career games (758 starts).
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: BREAKING: Pistons "RELEASE" JOSH SMITH 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 pm

SVG really dropped the ball on this one. It's still mind boggling that some other team actually wanted smith (it was the Kings I believe) in the off-season and SVG actually elected not to trade him! Thats even more mind blowing haha. SVG has to be kicking himself over this, however I respect his decision here. He just set the locker room tone and is proving that no player is safe if they don't perform on the court.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#3 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I love it from a Coaching standpoint. We all know how frustrating J SMOOV was, he cant even play for one of the most respected coaches in the league.

I bet he winds up with LA or NYK
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:12 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/547076735817494528[/tweet]
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:13 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I love it from a Coaching standpoint. We all know how frustrating J SMOOV was, he cant even play for one of the most respected coaches in the league.

I bet he winds up with LA or NYK

I can see that, however I'm going to go with either Dallas or Houston. He goes way back with Dwight and Rondo and those are both contender teams. The only question is will Carlisle and McHale even want him lol.
Renmazuo
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#6 » by Renmazuo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:36 pm

So SVG had chances to trade Smoove this offseason and prob had chances to get something for Monroe as well in a S&T. Now it look like the Pistons will get nothing for both of them. Smoove and Pistons were a bad match from the very start. Everyone knew this then and now. Curious where he land next.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#7 » by Rip2137 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Sounds like a solid financial move. Instead of hitting the cap for 13 million over the next two seasons, they will only be hit for 5+ over the next 5 years. That clears quite a bit off the cap for a move that clearly didn't work. Trading means they are still on the hook for that cash with what they bring in unless they could find expirings. And no one was giving up expiring's for the right to pay josh smith 26 million
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Dude is a cancer. When you find cancer in the body, you excise it. Plain and simple.

Josh'll have suitors and perhaps might be more useful with better personnel. But clearly he needs to change his approach to the way he plays, carries himself, behaves in the locker room.

One of my biggest concerns regarding Danny Ferry's tenure was that one of his first moves was to offer an extension to this kid for $45 million over three years. Had Josh Smith actually signed it, that would have been a massive change in direction for this team. And not in a good way.

Teams were calling Ferry about acquiring Smith back in 2012...but DF was still harboring dreams of building around the guy long term.

It took Ferry watching Smoove up close for only a matter of weeks (months?) to realize Josh Smith was not the type of player you build around.

But, man, imagine where'd we be had Smoove accepted that pay raise and was STILL here jacking up jumpers and running the fast break instead of Paul Millsap.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#9 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Renmazuo wrote:So SVG had chances to trade Smoove this offseason and prob had chances to get something for Monroe as well in a S&T. Now it look like the Pistons will get nothing for both of them. Smoove and Pistons were a bad match from the very start. Everyone knew this then and now. Curious where he land next.

Carl Landry and Derrick Williams was the option available, both of those guys don't fit the future plan and are redundant with Monroe and drummon

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#10 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:SVG really dropped the ball on this one. It's still mind boggling that some other team actually wanted smith (it was the Kings I believe) in the off-season and SVG actually elected not to trade him! Thats even more mind blowing haha. SVG has to be kicking himself over this, however I respect his decision here. He just set the locker room tone and is proving that no player is safe if they don't perform on the court.

If Carl Landry and Derrick Williams were the only things they were getting back as a piston fan I'm glad they passed on it, those two players are. Not part of the future and it's getter if gores eats the money

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: BREAKING: Pistons 

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:SVG really dropped the ball on this one. It's still mind boggling that some other team actually wanted smith (it was the Kings I believe) in the off-season and SVG actually elected not to trade him! Thats even more mind blowing haha. SVG has to be kicking himself over this, however I respect his decision here. He just set the locker room tone and is proving that no player is safe if they don't perform on the court.

If Carl Landry and Derrick Williams were the only things they were getting back as a piston fan I'm glad they passed on it, those two players are. Not part of the future and it's getter if gores eats the money

Just seems like it'd be easier to move a couple of young Centers like Thompson and Monroe in trade and actually get value back.

Decent centers on reasonable contracts in this league are of great value. Koufos, Asik, Hawes are just some examples of young bigs traded for at least SOMETHING. Paying Josh Smith's salary for the next 2+ years just for him to NOT be around is horrendous.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#12 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:

Just seems like it'd be easier to move a couple of young Centers like Thompson and Monroe in trade and actually get value back.

Decent centers on reasonable contracts in this league are of great value. Koufos, Asik, Hawes are just some examples of young bigs traded for at least SOMETHING. Paying Josh Smith's salary for the next 2+ years just for him to NOT be around is horrendous.

This move signals 2 things to me

1) Josh Smith is a headcase and a BAD influence in the locker room
2) No one was willing to trade ANYTHING for him
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:06 pm

PandaKidd wrote:This move signals 2 things to me

BINGO! I said it for years around here, and was excoriated for it. You trade a stock at its highest. Coming off his best season in 2012, he had so much value around the league. Months later it had all cratered. Now, it's even worse.

2+ years ago he was still considered our best player, now he's the NBA equivalent of Dan Uggla. The more recent NBA version of Isaiah Rider.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#14 » by Yungsta404 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:10 pm

but but but all Josh needed was a good coach!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/547090910073614336[/tweet]

SVG tried to coach him and gave up
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:32 pm

some of the best comments from Pistons fans/pundits following Smoove's release:

When informed of the news, Smith angrily threw his playbook at Van Gundy. Fortunately, he missed Stan by three feet.

The Lions make the playoffs AND Josh Smith is gone? Christmas came early for Detroit

He probably missed his taxi to the airport.

...I laughed out loud at work when I read that first one.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#16 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:This move signals 2 things to me

BINGO! I said it for years around here, and was excoriated for it. You trade a stock at its highest. Coming off his best season in 2012, he had so much value around the league. Months later it had all cratered. Now, it's even worse.

2+ years ago he was still considered our best player, now he's the NBA equivalent of Dan Uggla. The more recent NBA version of Isaiah Rider.

He was compared to Lebron when AH went down with TittyTear #1. Remember all the "He can do everything on the floor, steals, rebounds, points, blocks" .

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-236056

http://www.hoopinionblog.com/2010/04/co ... james.html
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#17 » by Skyhawk1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 pm

I've always hated Smith's game. So out of control, no discipline on either end of the floor, not a team player. Most of you who have been around here for a while probably remember how much I wanted the Hawks to get rid of him. He's not coachable and his athleticism made him look a much better player than he really is. Detroit is already better after releasing him. I truly think the NBA is better off without players like Smith, Jennings... they just don't get the true concept of what basketball is all about.
GO HAWKS.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#18 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Theres no denying his talent, but he never put the work in to truly take advantage of it. If he simply stopped taking 17 ft jump shots, and improved his post game, he could have been a top 20-30 player.

But he relied on talent alone, and that doesnt get it done.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#19 » by PandaKidd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:24 pm

JOSH SMITHS PER
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#20 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

It doesn't matter what teammates are around Josh, what matters most is the coach.

People critize Woody and Drew, but to their credit, they controlled Josh

I can't think of any strong coaches that could control Josh right now. Maybe Pops, myabe Jason Kidd??? Jerry Sloan would have been a great influence on Josh if he was still coaching.

Return to Atlanta Hawks