ImageImage

Anyone notice we've given up lots of leads?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Anyone notice we've given up lots of leads? 

Post#1 » by azuresou1 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:44 am

Seems to be a common trend over the past 6-7 games - we go up by 15 or even 20, then suddenly we find ourselves back in a close 3 point game. Is this concerning to anyone else?
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Anyone notice we've given up lots of leads? 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:08 am

azuresou1 wrote:Seems to be a common trend over the past 6-7 games - we go up by 15 or even 20, then suddenly we find ourselves back in a close 3 point game. Is this concerning to anyone else?

Yes, yes, and yes.

That is something that ive actually been really disappointed with as I have noticed it all season long. For some odd reason the 2nd quarter is like our kryptonite and we turn into a high school squad for that quarter. Anyways, our guys cant expect to keep winning games from blown 20+ point leads. That crap won't fly in the playoffs.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#3 » by MaceCase » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:24 am

It's better than the going down 15 and then having to fight back for the rest of the game that the team did at the start of the season. Personally, I've never been more confident about the squad even when they give up big leads. Teams make runs but the team is always poised and shuts the door when it matters most.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
hawkschop1
Junior
And1: 30

Post#4 » by hawkschop1 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:01 am

I think it's better than last year when we were the team you just cant put away and then we'd sometimes end up winning. this we're the grinders baby. get a lead and then grind out the remainder of the game until time expires.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#5 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:21 am

azuresou1 wrote:Seems to be a common trend over the past 6-7 games - we go up by 15 or even 20, then suddenly we find ourselves back in a close 3 point game. Is this concerning to anyone else?

ehhhhhh, i'm just resigned to the old saying..... "everybody in makes runs in the NBA".

It might be a Hawks' thing, but for me personally, i just think its an NBA thing, regardless how good or bad the other team is.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:25 am

No Atlanta team ever knows how to finish. Falcons blowing the 17-0 lead in 2012, the Braves' historic 2011 September collapse, another September collapse by the Braves this past season, and of course the Hawks this season (at least we're grinding out W's now). These teams just love playing with my emotions.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#7 » by simon24 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 9:07 am

Yup! Thankfully this is regular season. Hopefully they turn up the killer instinct by playoffs come. Home court advantage would be huge.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#8 » by DirtybirdGA » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:27 pm

I hope it doesn't bite em in the behind later on... I don't want teams getting confidence down in the 4th.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Renmazuo
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#9 » by Renmazuo » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:12 pm

It is a concern and it is also still early in the season. Since the Hawks started making the playoffs again. This has been something they seem to struggle with which was putting teams away. Must be in the Hawks DNA or something.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#10 » by MaceCase » Sat Jan 3, 2015 7:58 pm

Renmazuo wrote:It is a concern and it is also still early in the season. Since the Hawks started making the playoffs again. This has been something they seem to struggle with which was putting teams away. Must be in the Hawks DNA or something.

Difference from this and past teams is that the past teams were frontrunners. They'd play loose and free with a lead but when teams cut into it they panicked, played tight, would get too scared to shoot while also holding the ball too long. This team seems to revel in teams making a run, letting them expend their energy just getting in shouting distance before they run their own sets and close it out.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#11 » by Rip2137 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 8:44 pm

This is the NBA. This is what happens. You go on a run and hope that their run is not as long as yours was. We still are near the top of the league(I think) in differential. We have beaten teams soundly and had some squeakers. That's just the nature of the sport.

Return to Atlanta Hawks