ImageImage

Adreian Payne traded to Minnesota for 2017 First Round pick

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Adreian Payne traded to Minnesota for 2017 First Round pick 

Post#121 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:54 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I've never seen so much moaning and groaning about a team that has been this dominant. PMott took yalls theory to the general board and every one agreed with what I have been saying.

As Aaron Rodgers would say, just R E L A X and enjoy this run.

I am enjoying it, Ill be at the game , im at almost every game. Doesnt mean I can offer criticism here an there.

The NEXT time this board bitches about losing rebounds and not having a big man, just dont say I told you so
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#122 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:56 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Couple?

Of Hawks 1st round picks, only DS has panned out.

Bebe/Payne/Jenkins all= BUSTS

1 out of 4 aint bad i guess LOL

Also, we have not DEVELOPED any of our BIG MEN mainly because we havent kept them long enough. bebe/payne gone before they ever set foot on a court, and after owning them for a year or LESS. So we are drafting big men and shipping them out for NOTHING but future WORSE picks or CAP space we dont use.

Hate butting in to these, but still...
1) 4 picks is an exceedingly SSS
2) When Jenkins was selected, the current decision maker wasn't with the organization meaning that only 3 of these picks were selected with the current system in mind.
3) Ferry supposedly also promised the "Greek Freak", Saric, and Porzingis. Giannis is a budding superstar, Porzingis is looking to go somewhere in the 5-8 range in this year's draft and could climb as Euros get more pub after the season, and Saric has been dominant in the Turkish League sporting a 16.3/9.4/4.2 line in 23 minutes. No, we didn't land any of those guys (yet) but considering that all of them fell into our area, we have gotten a little unlucky.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#123 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:02 pm

^ Agreed with everything you said.

Again, no one is saying the TITANIC IS SINKING. Im just saying to me, it doesnt make sense, to give up a player you didnt need to, and especially when you had other candidates to cut if you TRULY needed a roster spot
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#124 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:04 pm

PandaKidd wrote:^ Agreed with everything you said.

Again, no one is saying the TITANIC IS SINKING. Im just saying to me, it doesnt make sense, to give up a player you didnt need to, and especially when you had other candidates to cut if you TRULY needed a roster spot

None of the other candidates could have cut without having to pay $$, so forth brought back a fungible resource. Also, I don't know if there's a more obvious candidate if we needed 2 roster spots. Still, I think that when we view the deal, the obvious statements from Coach Bud is that a) Payne wasn't a fit in our system and b) if we're going to piece together a deal over the next 2-3 years, the MIN 1st would carry more value to more teams than Adreian Payne would.

Now, I do agree that the fact that we drafted Payne @ 15 in the "best draft in a generation" only to find he wasn't going to fit here within 6 months is worrisome on a few levels, but I also think Payne's issues were a singular problem. I tried not to pound him too hard while he was here, but I genuinely think the problem is that Payne was literally too stupid that he'd never be able to get Coach Bud's system. I'm sure that many here have had an athlete surprise you by more intelligent than you think they would be - something about spending so much time in a locker room and using your body over your mind to make $$ doesn't scream genius IQ. On the flip side, athletes can also surprise you by being incredibly dumb too since that same locker room can yield enough quotes and situations that the kid can get by as having middling intelligence through rote memorization. I think that's where our failure in scouting Payne came from - maybe we knew he had below average intelligence, we didn't realize he was a genuine moron. In film, a good coach can cover up these deficiencies, especially in lower levels, by ensuring rote memorization of plays and defensive rotations - even Coach Bud's system does this to a degree. But Bud also relies on players doing the "right" thing a lot and understanding not just his role but the roles of all the other players in the system factor into doing the "right" thing. Payne was just never going to be a guy for that and it took being around him everyday in Camp before we understood that and seeing that he really wasn't progressing in learning this even when he was playing with SAS' D-League team. No idea about Flip's system in MIN but if the system highlights his strengths without asking him to think (er... at all) then he could be a good fit there. I do wish good luck to him - If he is as dumb as I fear, he literally has to make his $$ playing basketball or... well...
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#125 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:06 pm

theatlfan wrote:Now, I do agree that the fact that we drafted Payne @ 15 in the "best draft in a generation" only to find he wasn't going to fit here within 6 months is worrisome on a few levels

That is all Jamaal and I are saying
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#126 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:42 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:Couple?

Of Hawks 1st round picks, only DS has panned out.

Bebe/Payne/Jenkins all= BUSTS

1 out of 4 aint bad i guess LOL

Also, we have not DEVELOPED any of our BIG MEN mainly because we havent kept them long enough. bebe/payne gone before they ever set foot on a court, and after owning them for a year or LESS. So we are drafting big men and shipping them out for NOTHING but future WORSE picks or CAP space we dont use.

and the 2nd round??

We're in 1st place by a wide margin.

Why are you so mad?

If you are lucky, we will lose tonight and you can continue your doomsday scenarios.

quit changing the argument. I said FIRST ROUND PICKS, you bring up FA, I say FIRST ROUND PICKS you bring up the second round.

I voice a minor concern, you act like Im saying the team is terrible and we are headed toward the Abyss.

We established a long time ago you are a huge homer, thats fine, you have a right to be. But im really tired that if anyone offers up any criticism its met with this crazy HOW DARE YOU attitude.

Im not mad at all, Im not envisioning some doomsday scenario. But, I like to look ahead, i dont live in just THIS moment where it has been a great ride for 54 GAMES! 54 GAMES MAN, THATS IT. We havent won anything, we havent turned the corner, we have overachieved, and theres a lot left to go this season.

In the vacuum, I dont think its smart LONG TERM to keep throwing away 1st round picks for NOTHING. If Ferry can keep pulling rabbits our of his hat like DMC and Millsap , go for it. But you and I know thats not going to happen very often.

You make a blanket statement such as "They are **** judges of talent" and then you accuse me of changing the subject when I mention their great success in landing talent through free agency.

Seems legit.

I agree that we haven't won anything but the rebuild is going much better than expected. I would love to hit on every pick too. I just know that it's impossible to do so and we look great in the overall picture. I just don't understand the big uproar over punting the Payne pick to a later date.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#127 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I've never seen so much moaning and groaning about a team that has been this dominant. PMott took yalls theory to the general board and every one agreed with what I have been saying.

As Aaron Rodgers would say, just R E L A X and enjoy this run.

I am enjoying it, Ill be at the game , im at almost every game. Doesnt mean I can offer criticism here an there.

The NEXT time this board bitches about losing rebounds and not having a big man, just dont say I told you so

What does rebounding have to do with Payne? It seems clear that Bud had no faith in him and he wouldn't be seeing court time if he was on the team or not.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#128 » by PandaKidd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Agree to disagree
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Adreian Payne traded to Minnesota for 2017 First Round pick 

Post#129 » by Hawks champs » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:02 pm

This thread needs a big group hug to remind everyone that we all cheer for the same team.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#130 » by PandaKidd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:04 pm

Lol Atlhawks and I are friends, we always disagree :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,250

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:02 pm

That Adreian Trade is becoming more and more perplexing. We were clearly at least considering a veteran at some position to help provide greater depth. but no trade and now a shrinking likelihood of acquiring our top waiver choices, We okay going into title chase in the post-season with Bazemore, Antic and Shelvin as our top backups?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLloydABJ/status/569170442268893185[/tweet]

Teams starting to believe Ray Allen won't play this season

Gary Neal buyout unlikely, Ray Allen still undecided on return
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#132 » by Rip2137 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 pm

There are plenty of options left. And I highly doubt Atlanta was looking yo add Perkins, who is basically Elton Brand with the added bonus of dumb illegal screens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#133 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Rip2137 wrote:There are plenty of options left. And I highly doubt Atlanta was looking yo add Perkins, who is basically Elton Brand with the added bonus of dumb illegal screens.

lol

Perhaps. But if it's not Neal or Allen, any thoughts on who it might be or who you'd LIKE to see us pursue?

I'd have liked:

Ed Davis
Gorgui Dieng
Evan Turner
Enes Kanter
Kyle Singler
KJ McDaniels
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#134 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:You are also wrong again about the Hawks having cap space now to use, they only have $1 million in cap space. It is dump if they followed your idea and just threw away the $1 million cap space for no reason. Now with Payne gone, it opens up the cap a little more for Ray or Neal or any other wing player Buds likes.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from.

The cap experts over at Basketball Insiders indicate we have $4.8 million in cap space right now. They indicate we have $2.7 million of the MLE available.

They also indicate we had $3 million in cap space before the Adreian trade.

We'll see if we can get a deal done for a vet in time. Time will tell.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#135 » by PandaKidd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm

We have to make a move at some point, we cant carry an empty roster spot into the playoffs. Have we not done any 10 day contracts?
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#136 » by theatlfan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:43 pm

PandaKidd wrote:We have to make a move at some point, we cant carry an empty roster spot into the playoffs. Have we not done any 10 day contracts?

I don't think we're in any particular hurry to fill the roster spot. The minimum you have to carry is 12 and we're above that. H3ll, we could even cut Jenkins and stay above that number. IF the right guy becomes available then I could see us jumping, but if the perfect fit doesn't present itself, then I wouldn't be surprised if we went to the postseason with 14 on the roster.

My guess is that we aren't looking at D-League / 10-day contracts. If so, then we would already have someone. The D-League showcase has already happened so the cream of the crop has already been picked.
BAMABIRD
Senior
And1: 3

Post#137 » by BAMABIRD » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:27 am

Double double for Payne tonight. 11/10
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#138 » by PandaKidd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:32 am

Terrible shooting, saw like 28% from the field? Good reb though

Let's not overreact, even though I still feel the same way about trading him
BAMABIRD
Senior
And1: 3

Post#139 » by BAMABIRD » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:09 am

I don't think sharing his stats qualifies for overreacting.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#140 » by PandaKidd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:11 am

General statement , not directed at anyone

Return to Atlanta Hawks