Will Bud make a deal?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Will Bud make a deal? 

Post#21 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:57 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:Thats what people dont see, the LONG TERM implications.

We would rather ship out a rookie for nothing or worse than what we used to get him, then have depth?

So Payne is now irreplaceable?

They made this deal to benefit us long term. This deal created an extra roster spot which could be used to bring Tavares over next year or to bring in someone who will actually see court time.

Does not compute, we lose Jenkins, Tavares has a spot. You really think Brand or Pero is here next year too?

Now you are just trolling. Payne wasnt moved to open a spot for someone NEXT year LOLOL :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :noway:
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#22 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:59 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
theatlfan wrote:...not sure why we bring up what a rookie (who hit a rookie wall) and a 40 yo vet did in the playoffs after we were forced to overuse them throughout the season since the AS went down. All their performance in the playoffs proves is that we were forced to overextend and expose our backups and IND took advantage. That's what happens when you lose an AS...

My concern is simply depth.

Last season was ruined because we were not prepared in case of iinjury to AL.

Somehow we came back...with the exact same depth issue?

Seems like poor planning. Both seasons.

I have 0 trust in Pero or Brand to carry us if necessary.

Last season was ruined because we suffered a wide variety of injuries.

We had a solid record in games where Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Antic started.

The problem is, Antic missed 2 months. Korver missed 11 games and we went 1-10. Carroll missed 9 and we went 1-8 in those. Millsap missed 9 and we were 2-7 in those.

and then you have Jenkins hurt for the year, Lou Will trying to play his way back from the ACL, Ayon going down for the year.

Yeah, and? Thats reason to keep young assets is it not?

Payne is replaceable? Sure, but not at his price and youth. Guarantee whoever we bring in costs us more right?
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#23 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
My concern is simply depth.

Last season was ruined because we were not prepared in case of iinjury to AL.

Somehow we came back...with the exact same depth issue?

Seems like poor planning. Both seasons.

I have 0 trust in Pero or Brand to carry us if necessary.

We had a solid record in games where Teague/Korver/Carroll/Millsap/Antic started.

The problem is, Antic missed 2 months. Korver missed 11 games and we went 1-10. Carroll missed 9 and we went 1-8 in those. Millsap missed 9 and we were 2-7 in those.

and then you have Jenkins hurt for the year, Lou Will trying to play his way back from the ACL, Ayon going down for the year.

Payne is replaceable? Sure, but not at his price and youth. Guarantee whoever we bring in costs us more right?

Not if the young player isn't a good fit. I guess you would like for us to resign Jenkins as well.

Bad GMs are the ones who ride their draft picks in to the ground, like you are suggesting, instead of knowing when to cut ties if it's not working out.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#24 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:48 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:

Not if the young player isn't a good fit. I guess you would like for us to resign Jenkins as well.

Bad GMs are the ones who ride their draft picks in to the ground, like you are suggesting, instead of knowing when to cut ties if it's not working out.

6 months isn't riding your draft pick into the ground. We literally had him for 6 months. Payne was never even given enough PT to know what we really have in him.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#25 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:25 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:

6 months isn't riding your draft pick into the ground. We literally had him for 6 months. Payne was never even given enough PT to know what we really have in him.

Who said it was? That is not what I was saying.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#26 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:
ATLHawksfan21 wrote:

Who said it was? That is not what I was saying.

Thats literally what you just said. You are rationalizing the Payne trade is a good idea because :

this is Jenkins 3rd year, and hes had surgery. Thats not even in the same conversation as Payne who we had for 6 months.

No , again this is beating a dead horse, why would you trade a 1st round pick who is a PREMIUM (beacuse of size and contract) for nothing but a future 2nd rounder. Makes no sense, unless he slept with Buds wife or something
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#27 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Furthermore, if you deduced that your 1st round pick was worthless after 6 months that makes you a BAD GM.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#28 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:22 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Furthermore, if you deduced that your 1st round pick was worthless after 6 months that makes you a BAD GM.

So you consider Ferry to be a bad GM?
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#29 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:30 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:Furthermore, if you deduced that your 1st round pick was worthless after 6 months that makes you a BAD GM.

So you consider Ferry to be a bad GM?

In regards to drafting, yes , hes been less than stellar.

But, hes also not had the tools to be outstanding either. hes built this team through FA, not the draft.

Carroll/Korver/Millsap/Thabo/Bazemore are all his good signings.

When it comes to big men, hes largely struck out.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#30 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Trading Payne without signing anyone else MAKES NO SENSE. PERIOD.

Unless we find out Payne was banging Teagues sister or something, they wasted a draft pick. The doesnt instill confidence.

Lets revisit this in June if we lose Millsap/Carroll/Pero/Brand and Tavares isnt ready to play. Its easy to be all roses when everything is, well , roses
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#31 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:13 pm

At 43-11, Hawks stand pat at NBA trade deadline. http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketba ... ine/nkFH3/ … #ATLHawksSo, the original answer is NO
he will not make a deal
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Holy crap what a trade deadline! Unfortunately it looks like BRK got a clear steal in that Garnett for Thad deal. East got a lot stronger with Reggie Jackson starting at point for Detroit and Dragic starting at point for the Heat.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#33 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 pm

HEAT can be darkhorses with that Roster

Dragic
Wade
Bosh
Whiteside
Deng
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:59 pm

PandaKidd wrote:HEAT can be darkhorses with that Roster

Dragic
Wade
Bosh
Whiteside
Deng

They just need a bench now. I could see Ray Allen coming back now after that Dragic trade and being wades back up at the SG position.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#35 » by td00 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:54 pm

We sure didn't solidify our weaknesses, but everyone's thinking 43-11 with the current lineup is enough........we'll see.

I would have liked Kanter on this roster, simply for insurance whether Sap this year or Al next year decide to leave. OKC make a shrewd move to get him, and avoided going into major tax for Brook Lopez...much better financial gain and probably close in talent.

I knew we also wouldn't give up anything for Prince, even if we had an edge in extra cap space. We needed to solidify help behind DMC, and it my come back to bite up still.

We may get a shooting guard out of all this, but I think we missed 2 not so expensive situations. That extra cost would have put the Eastern Conference on notice.

I still say Ray Allen to CLE or he's not coming back....he's chasing a ring.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#36 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:02 am

I didn't like seeing Thad go to Brooklyn for KG. That definitely improved them some. I started to feel better once I saw the rest of the moves. I'm not sure that swapping KG for Thad improves them more than the other teams around them.

Brooklyn In: Thad Young Out: KG
Detroit IN: Reggie Jackson, T. Prince Out: Singler, Augustin,
Charlotte They picked up Mo Williams earlier in the week
Heat Acquiring Goran should lock them in to a playoff spot for sure.

I think all of those teams improved more than Brooklyn. Indy may also improve more if George ends up playing the last month of the season.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#37 » by theatlfan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 am

Really thinking we are the big winners of the deadline.
- BRK took a salary dump for their leader and even dealt a player who then refused to opt into his PO. People here keep telling me that they could collapse and I believe it now - no KG while everyone they tried to dump stuck around... d@mn. Meanwhile 4 teams (MIA, DET, BOS, MIL) competing for the final 3 playoff spots got better and a 5th, IND, "acquires" the best player in a month. For the past few weeks, I've been hoping that BRK misses the playoff and we get the 12th pick. Now, I'm gunning for top 10.
- There really wasn't a true contender who made a move to get better. There was no salvaging the RJ situation but OKC will regret giving up so much for Kanter, a horrid defender and below average offensively. They'll have to pay him starter $$ to be Adams' backup soon too. They'll wish they would have taken Lopez without the PO soon enough - I hear their window slamming shut right now. If Kanter wasn't a top pick, he'd be out of the league right now. PDX got Afflalo while HOU got the better player now in KJ McDaniel and paid less for him but I can't see either making the Finals either.

The only negative in my book was DET acquiring Prince since that takes him off the buyout market. Not a complete bomb since their only .5 games behind BRK, but the only bad thing to happen today IMO.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#38 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:19 am

I agree atl. I also forgot too mention that boston picked up Isaiah thomas. Things are going to get real interesting for Brooklyn. I hope they lose against the Lakers or Nuggets before they start that very tough 8 game stretch which could kill any hope that they have left.

This is looking more and more like a top 10 pick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Re: Re: 

Post#39 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:20 am

I agree atl. I also forgot to mention that boston picked up Isaiah thomas. Things are going to get real interesting for Brooklyn. I hope they lose against the Lakers or Nuggets before they start that very tough 8 game stretch which could kill any hope that they have left.

This is looking more and more like a top 10 pick.

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#40 » by ATL Boy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 am

Hopefully we avoid Miami in the first round. Don't get me wrong, I still think we'd beat them in 6 but it would be a lot easier to play another one of those teams contending for the 8 seed.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks