Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,250

Bill Simmons Predicts: Joakim as a Hawk 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:40 pm

From his pretty great read:

2015 NBA Trade Value, Part 2

Clairvoyant Bill believes that Al Horford and Florida basketball soul mate Joakim Noah will become teammates again within the next 16 months. Almost definitely in Atlanta. Just wait.

Thoughts on the likelihood?
What would it take to get him here?
Would the Current Defensive Player of the Year be a good fit for ATL?
Would Ferry/Bud/Wilcox have the chutzpah to pull it off?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Bill Simmons Predicts: Joakim as a Hawk 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:47 pm

I have coveted Noah on this team for years. I often dream of traveling back to 2007 draft, convincing BK to trade Josh Childress, a young Josh Smith and that years 11th overall draft pick (which was wasted on Acie Law) in a massive overpay for J Noah.

That front court (AL and Noah in the NBA)...even under Woodson or Drew, would have been beastly, dominant in the post-season.

I'd still love to get Noah here: his strengths fit our needs and his unselfish play would make him a welcome addition. But at age 30 and with a gimpy knee...I'm limited on what I'd offer.

I do think: if CHI flames out, Rose is out injured for months again and Thibs is let go....we could definitely swoop in and make them an offer they can't refuse.

But it would cost us (undoubtedly) Teague or Dennis.

Noah gets us closer to the NBA Finals IMO. But I'm not sure if I'd prefer him as a starter in place of Millsap. or as a backup behind Paul and AL.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:02 pm

But for what it's worth...I don't think there even a remote chance it gets done. Our front office has been linked to a few big aggressive moves the last few years. but outside of dumping Joe Johnson...none of them came to fruition.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#4 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Would love to have him at a cheap cost. Hes languished in CHI waiting on D Rose for too long, I think he will want out
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#5 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Teague for him, man, thats tough because his contract is so good in relation to his production. But he will be expecting a big pay day soon as well.

Problem with Noah is what happens to Millsap?

You would have
DS-PG
SG- Korver/Carroll
SF- Korver/Carroll
PF- AH
C- NOAH

Dont tell me Noah would be content being a rotation player. In this scenario I would assume we would have lost Millsap to think about acquiring Noah . Noah also is due 13 million next year before he becomes UFA.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#6 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Much of what Bill Simmons says nevercomes to fruition. There's a reason his podcasts are titled "the BS report".
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#7 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Teague for him, man, thats tough because his contract is so good in relation to his production. But he will be expecting a big pay day soon as well.

Problem with Noah is what happens to Millsap?

You would have
DS-PG
SG- Korver/Carroll
SF- Korver/Carroll
PF- AH
C- NOAH

Dont tell me Noah would be content being a rotation player. In this scenario I would assume we would have lost Millsap to think about acquiring Noah . Noah also is due 13 million next year before he becomes UFA.

This looks like a downgrade to me.

The only scenario for me to want Noah would be one where we keep Millsap and Noah proves that he is 100% healthy and his old self.

All of Bud's previous statements would lead me to believe that he wouldn't be overly interested in Noah.

If we are losing Millsap for a Center, I want M. Gasol.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#8 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Yeah I see Millsap/Noah prob benfitting more than AH/NOAH

I think our rebounding needs to be addressed when AH ISNT in the game. And from what we all have lookd at , Bud believes in Tavares and Muscala going forward, so I dont see where Noah fits in.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#9 » by theatlfan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:24 pm

+1 to ATLHawksfan's post. The hidden cost of acquiring Noah would undoubtedly be Millsap - a player that some are touting as a DPotY as well as a key cog in our Offense. Even if you can figure out how to balance the minutes of all 3, who do you sit down the stretch? (Please no Millsap to SF comments... he's been proven to be terrible there.)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:Much of what Bill Simmons says nevercomes to fruition. There's a reason his podcasts are titled "the BS report".

Oh, absolutely!

I don't take this prediction seriously at all. But the thought had crossed my mind as news of Rose's injury became public. Noah's got 2 years of top, prime play left. We have a need for rebounding, a void at center and outside of the 3-pt shooting....Noah fits perfectly.

CHI needs a cheap PG. We have 2. We also have multiple first round picks (potentially) and a young big man prospect.

Today we are the top team in the conference. But we need a big.

It makes sense for both teams if CHI blows themselves up. Give us Noah for Teague and chg.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#11 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:02 pm

I also think that an above average PG is more important to this team than a rebounding big/true center. I would rather have the combo of Teague/Schroder at PG than just having one of those with the combo of Horford/Noah at Center. This team is very reliant on the PG position and it's a huge luxury to have 2 PGs who are all-star caliber when they are on.

We have proven that we can be very successful with a mediocre backup Center. I believe we can find a good replacement at a far less cost than what Noah's would be.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#12 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 pm

im perfectly happy with our starting 5. I cannot think of any SERIOUS upgrades we could make. My beef has always been with the bench/rotation.

I really think Thabos defense was an A+ move, he really makes this team another level defensively.

DS is a great backup to Teague and could arguably be a starter in 1-2 years.

I feel like Bazemore is a good GLUE guy, he does dirty work, athletic, etc.

Our only real gaping hole to me is at PF and C respectively. I think we can find a better replacement for Pero and Im not sure if Muscala is really a PF or a C due ot his lack of mass. Mike Scott we love his offense, hes another glue guy, but he cant rebound and hes a tweener.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#13 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

PandaKidd wrote:im perfectly happy with our starting 5. I cannot think of any SERIOUS upgrades we could make. My beef has always been with the bench/rotation.

I really think Thabos defense was an A+ move, he really makes this team another level defensively.

DS is a great backup to Teague and could arguably be a starter in 1-2 years.

I feel like Bazemore is a good GLUE guy, he does dirty work, athletic, etc.

Our only real gaping hole to me is at PF and C respectively. I think we can find a better replacement for Pero and Im not sure if Muscala is really a PF or a C due ot his lack of mass. Mike Scott we love his offense, hes another glue guy, but he cant rebound and hes a tweener.

Nailed it.

We just need a little more depth. I believe we will be able to achieve that depth this off-season. IIRC I read that we will have like 10 million to spend before resigning Millsap and Carroll. That's if the owners are willing to spend the money. We could also send Mack packing and bump that number higher. I will be conservative and say we end up signing a player in the 6-8 million range which is gold if Ferry is doing the signing. Adding that player, the Brooklyn lottery pick and possibly Tavares could fix all of our holes on the bench.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#14 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Yeah and Trading Payne kind of solidifies that outlook. They believe that Tavares and Muscala will be capable rotation players going forward. Pero becomes BRAND from this year (a capable spot player every 5 games makes an appearance).

Thats all without even looking to FA (there really isnt that much out there) but if we assume we keep PM and DMC, then, we are really looking for backup players, and at that point, we are talking MINOR upgrades. I dont really forsee any huge moves I think we have our team (IF we resign PM and DMC ) for the next 2-3 years
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#15 » by MaceCase » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Want no part of Thibs' leftovers. Between his insane expectations and Noah's own pride in picking up all the slack for Rose plus dabbling in international ball I think that this would be a big buyer beware. Noah is guy who is not particularly physically gifted and is overly reliant on IQ and effort. IQ never leaves but effort decreases when you're carrying a half dozen aches and pains throughout your body.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#16 » by D21 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:45 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Would love to have him at a cheap cost. Hes languished in CHI waiting on D Rose for too long, I think he will want out

Not sure he will want to leave, I see him with CHI his entire career, but if there's any chance, playing with Al would certainly be in his first choices.

PandaKidd wrote:Dont tell me Noah would be content being a rotation player...

Don't know if he would like to start on the bench, but a C/PF rotation of Noah/Al/Millsap would be fantastic, and playing less than with CHI could be interesting for him, because his injuries have certainly something to do with how CHI manage their roster.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#17 » by PandaKidd » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 pm

If Millsap and Horford are both here, Noah will be starting off on the bench, and that means a bench contract. Which means less money.

Some team will over pay him just a gut feeling. If D Rose is done, and CHI gets bounced, he will be looking for a career contract/destination IMO
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#18 » by azuresou1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:37 am

I'd love Noah off the bench but let's be real, some team like NY or LA is gonna toss him a HUGE contract that he's not gonna turn down
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#19 » by PZiv » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:54 am

Mind aswell get Corey Brewer, if you're at it.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#20 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Noah is not a free agent next year

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks