ImageImage

Bill Simmons Predicts: Joakim as a Hawk

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Re: Bill Simmons Predicts: Joakim as a Hawk 

Post#21 » by td00 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 pm

I'd rather retain Sap, as I'm not a big fan of Noah. Sap fits us so much better with Al. Its being proven this year.
And Noah isn't exactly healthy lately.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,257

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:26 pm

I am a bit surprised at he reluctance to bring in Noah. He's been All-Star, All-NBA, All Defense...as recently as 9 months ago. We're talking about one of the most dominant defensive players of the last decade.

I do understand the injury concerns. They are very real.

But Noah and Horford have remained close over the years and I see no issues with the two of them playing together.

Adding the reigning DPOY seems like a no-brainer as our biggest question mark is interior defense.

I think we'd all agree that a 3 man rotation of Horford/Noah/Millsap would be tops in the league and could work to our benefit.

As far as choosing between Noah and Millsap...that's a little dicier. Both are 30 year old, 2x All Stars approaching the end of their primes. Either would be a good choice.

I think we'll gain some clarity on our front court issues after this playoff run. Maybe we can revisit this then...with uga_dawgs24's permission, of course.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#23 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

My point with Noah is the circumstances.

We cannot sign him this year because he is not a FA.

So, that means trading for him. Which means we would have to trade teague+1 to get him. Then that means we are losing Millsap to resigning IMO.

If we retain Millsap , then theres no place for Noah to play. And i would not trade a starting PG for a backup C which is what he would be if he came here.

I cant imagine the scenario if hes here. We would be willing to trade starting PG+1 for Noah 13 million salary, then I guarantee we are willing to pay PM 11-12 million per.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#24 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 pm

If you lose Teague and Millsap for Noah, you are left with one shot creator on the whole team.

Millsap's ability to create off the dribble is huge for us since we have Korver and DMC on the wings.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#25 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:33 pm

He fit here 3 years ago, not now. If AH was your PF and you needed a C, then he make sense. But our current Roster is better without Noah.

Noah would only be an upgrade if we lost a piece.

We really need , IMO , a Montajunas type.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 am

PandaKidd wrote:He fit here 3 years ago, not now. If AH was your PF and you needed a C, then he make sense. But our current Roster is better without Noah.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:If you lose Teague and Millsap for Noah, you are left with one shot creator on the whole team.

Millsap's ability to create off the dribble is huge for us since we have Korver and DMC on the wings.

Very fair points. Everything mentioned above is a valid concern.

The thing is:

I think I've mentioned in the past (during the Carmelo debates) that acquiring a top player basically makes you a different team. You replace your top scorer in the starting lineup with an offensively-challenged, defensive monster, the entire makeup of the roster changes too. The weaknesses change, the strengths change. The rotations change.

When I consider bringing Noah, it's with the understanding that he and Horford would be a dominant front court. A great place to start building. But the makeup of the team would absolutely need to change as well.

If we lose in the 2nd round, or if we get swept in the EC Finals...I'm not certain bringing back the same pieces for next season gets us closer to winning a title. I simply think Noah and AL could be a great place to begin retooling the roster.

It all comes down how this team fares in the post-season. If we bow out in game 4 or 5 of any series....I would look to upgrade and retool. Not simply maintain the status quo.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#27 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:22 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:He fit here 3 years ago, not now. If AH was your PF and you needed a C, then he make sense. But our current Roster is better without Noah.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:If you lose Teague and Millsap for Noah, you are left with one shot creator on the whole team.

Very fair points. Everything mentioned above is a valid concern.

The thing is:

I think I've mentioned in the past (during the Carmelo debates) that acquiring a top player basically makes you a different team. You replace your top scorer in the starting lineup with an offensively-challenged, defensive monster, the entire makeup of the roster changes too. The weaknesses change, the strengths change. The rotations change.

When I consider bringing Noah, it's with the understanding that he and Horford would be a dominant front court. A great place to start building. But the makeup of the team would absolutely need to change as well.

If we lose in the 2nd round, or if we get swept in the EC Finals...I'm not certain bringing back the same pieces for next season gets us closer to winning a title. I simply think Noah and AL could be a great place to begin retooling the roster.

It all comes down how this team fares in the post-season. If we bow out in game 4 or 5 of any series....I would look to upgrade and retool. Not simply maintain the status quo.

I just prefer to build on team chemistry than refigure the team every other year. This team has proven that they can play with any one and we will have the ability to add multiple pieces in the offseason. I think you have to give this core at least a 2 year window before making major changes.

I'm kind of surprised to see you interested in Noah since he is 30 years old and is very reliant on his athletic ability.

We aren't getting swept or losing in 5. Not happening.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:39 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I just prefer to build on team chemistry than refigure the team every other year. This team has proven that they can play with any one and we will have the ability to add multiple pieces in the offseason. I think you have to give this core at least a 2 year window before making major changes.

A very reasonable sentiment. I would just point out that no one saw this much success coming this season. Ferry was still trying to make major additions to this iteration of the team last summer in ill-fated pursuit of Pau Gasol, Luol Deng, Greg Monroe and (presumably) Carmelo Anthony. The chemistry is indeed great, but from a talent perspective we are far and away less talented than the other top 5 contenders.

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:I'm kind of surprised to see you interested in Noah since he is 30 years old and is very reliant on his athletic ability.

A fair point. And I would be reluctant to give him much of an extension. In truth, in his case, injuries concern me far more than age. I see Joakim as in the same league as Marc Gasol. A dominant 30 year old defensive game changer. Bulls have been without Rose/Deng for a few years now. Joakim has largely been the catalyst for why they managed to stay a top team. I have seen him single-handedly dominate entire games and playoff series through passing, defense and unselfish, intense play. I've seen him shut down AL Horford.

I see him as our potential Ben Wallace should we make him our starting Center. Our Mutombo. For that type of all time great talent, I'm willing to take a flyer on his age.

Provided his knee is okay and he can pass a physical.

Return to Atlanta Hawks