ImageImage

Hawks offense as evolution to modern defenses

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: Hawks offense as evolution to modern defenses 

Post#41 » by MaceCase » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:21 pm

I see the the concern seems to be that the perimeter will get stopped but who exactly does Love stop? Last I remember Blatt had to bench him after Sap and Al took turns on him in the post on back to back to back to back possessions. No Mozgov isn't going to help, in fact the Hawks want you to help, the team will live and thrive all day getting wide open shooters and cutters
much like they've done all season. If they decide to stay home? Then BBQ chicken.

The Hawks have 4 guys that can get theirs in a myriad of ways in the starting lineup alone and then Demarre who isn't exactly just content standing in the corner. While the worry is the offense getting stopped, also remember that the defense is a big part of the offense as Bud demands that guys push it in transition and not even walk the ball up after a made possession. People can voice their "concerns" (which in some cases looks just like the boy who cried wolf. Say it enough times and you're bound to be right once) but I think the Hawks have proven that they can adequately take on any and every type of opponent and walk out with a probable victory.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Hawks champs
Junior
And1: 100

Hawks offense as evolution to modern defenses 

Post#42 » by Hawks champs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 pm

What would really help our offense would be if our wings learned to post up a little bit. It's just so frustrating when demarre has a small guard on him and we don't have any way to take advantage of it.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#43 » by theatlfan » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:04 pm

Interesting conversation. My $.02:
- a switching D can cause any O fits - h3ll we did it for years under Woodson. It takes some special athletes to run it effectively though. Look at the lists for GSW, a team that is known for having a great switching D, yet really only has 3 positions that can switch effectively. Re watch the video that Jamaal posted a page or 2 ago. One the 1st go round, Curry was left on Demarre - which, as Hawks Champs points out isn't really an advantage for us, but we should be able to do something with a .5' size advantage, especially against their star. It's also notable that if they'd would have preferred the matchup of Teague on the SF (can't remember who - was it Barnes?) then they would have just lined up that way when we set up the O. (I'm not sure the other play was a switch or just that the PF or C who was playing back challenged Schröder when he came off the pick.)
- One of the great things about Coach Bud's system and/or in-game strategy is that he doesn't have one way of running his system. He deploys backups with starters and while the starters are generally featured it gives opponents different looks throughout the game. For instance, if Lebron took Teague more than just for a possession or two, then I'd guess we'd go with a back court of Teague, Schröder, and Korver. Even if you concede the Lebron / Teague matchup, then Schröder can still handle the ball and Korver demands a special defender too. We haven't even gotten to the fact that our front court features two AS too. You can't hide 5 defenders.
- I agree that Lebron is a top 5 player ever. He went close to 30/8/8 while being an elite defender to boot. He has proven he can single-handedly carry some fairly **** CLE teams to the Finals in an era where the $$ and globalization of the sport has truly brought in the top talents with top minds coaching them. He isn't perfect (for one, I agree that he's one to see the handwriting on the wall a bit quicker than others... But that's true of many greats) but he is really, really good and would fit into any era and play-style of basketball. Further, Lebron can go "video game" at any moment and stay that hot for an entire 7 game series. Because of that, any team he's on has at least a Puncher's Chance of winning the series and CLE's supporting cast is better than some of the other teams in the NBA.
- This isn't to say I concede one inch though. As far as I'm concerned, we've earned the right to be considered a championship-level team. As part of that, we'll play other championship level teams and have to beat them to win championships - to be the best you have to beat the best. I look forward to proving that we can take on all comers - I ain't skeered!!
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#44 » by theatlfan » Sun Mar 1, 2015 8:10 pm

One more comment before logging off: if there's one play style that I think would be a particularly hard play style for us to match up with, then it's the physical play style ala MEM. Just think that those guys got in our head when we played a couple of weeks ago. Allen against Korver is actually a good matchup for them too.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#45 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sun Mar 1, 2015 11:53 pm

theatlfan wrote:Interesting conversation. My $.02:

- I agree that Lebron is a top 5 player ever. He went close to 30/8/8 while being an elite defender to boot. He has proven he can single-handedly carry some fairly **** CLE teams to the Finals in an era where the $$ and globalization of the sport has truly brought in the top talents with top minds coaching them. He isn't perfect (for one, I agree that he's one to see the handwriting on the wall a bit quicker than others... But that's true of many greats) but he is really, really good and would fit into any era and play-style of basketball. Further, Lebron can go "video game" at any moment and stay that hot for an entire 7 game series. Because of that, any team he's on has at least a Puncher's Chance of winning the series and CLE's supporting cast is better than some of the other teams in the NBA.
- This isn't to say I concede one inch though. As far as I'm concerned, we've earned the right to be considered a championship-level team. As part of that, we'll play other championship level teams and have to beat them to win championships - to be the best you have to beat the best. I look forward to proving that we can take on all comers - I ain't skeered!!

He did it once and he got swept once he got to the Finals. I agree that the game has more talent than ever overall. The problem is, during Lebron's run, the majority of that talent has resided in the West. I would be more than happy to put Lebron top 5 if he made the FInals 4 years in a row in the Western conference. Instead, he has beaten inferior teams while being surrounded by two of the best players in his conference. Him, Wade and Bosh joining obliterated the competition in the East since it put 3 of the top 5-6 Eastern players on the same team. His only competition in the East has been Wade and the Celtics. The Celtics got old and he teamed up with Wade. The Pacers have been his stiffest Eastern competition for the past 2 years and we had them beat without our best player.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#46 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:02 am

I hope Lebron tries to beat us by himself like he did vs Houston today. We will be moonwalking in to the Finals if he tries. Nice FTs at the end there Bron

Return to Atlanta Hawks