Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,261

Jenkins an example of Hawks' Depth 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 1, 2015 9:35 pm

From AJC write-up:

“John Jenkins is the most professional third-year player I have ever been around in my entire career,” said Korver, who is in his 12th NBA season. “The way he approaches every single day - his habits, his work ethic, dedication - even though he hasn’t gotten the opportunity that he has been hoping for. He has been unbelievable to me in just how positive he has stayed and how he has kept on working. He gets an opportunity like tonight and he hits shots and he also gets seven rebounds. It just says so much about him as a person and as a basketball player.”

“I tell John all the time, I was in his position,” said Carroll, who became a full-time starter when he joined the Hawks. “I was on the bench like he was. I didn’t get my option picked up. I just kept working and my opportunity came in Utah. He made the best of his opportunity (tonight). I tell him you aren’t just playing for the Atlanta Hawks, you are playing for 29 other teams.”

“He is such a good player,” Brand said of Jenkins. “He has a good career ahead of him. He just has Kyle Korver in front of him. Like tonight, he got his chance to shine and he stepped up in a big way. That’s what we talk about, just stay ready.

“It’s tough being a young player on a veteran team that is winning. He could complain but he doesn’t. He just plays his role. That’s what we love about him.”
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,261

Re: Jenkins an example of Hawks' Depth 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 1, 2015 9:37 pm

Opportunity has knocked only a few times for John Jenkins this season.

Still, when called upon the Hawks shooting guard has answered. He is yet another example of the depth of this Hawks team.

It’s been a rough season for Jenkins. After missing much of last season with back trouble that eventually required surgery, he has appeared in just 12 games this season. He has averaged 3.9 points and 1.5 rebounds in nine minutes.

Especially tough for the 2012 first-round pick came early this season when the Hawks declined to pick up his team option for next season. Jenkins will become a free agent. He was the subject of possible deals at the trade deadline.

The 12 points for Jenkins tied his season high, set in a blowout loss to the Cavaliers in November. The three 3-pointers were two more than his previous season-high.

Boggles the mind that this kid has been effective, has apparently carried himself well and professionally...yet holds such little value. Not worth extending. Not worth playing. Can't get value in trade.

JJ and Dennis are probably my two favorite Ferry draftees. I really hope JJ finds an opportunity somewhere. Dude looks like an actual rotation player at least.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Mar 2, 2015 3:17 am

I really don't understand our reasoning for declining his team option? It's not like this guy was a top 5 pick owed 5+ mil on the salary books? I mean he barely costs anything?
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#4 » by Rip2137 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:56 am

When we are healthy there isn't much of a spot for him in the rotation(although I prefer him to Basemore) which sucks because SOMEONE is going to sign him and I am pretty confident that he is a special offensive player who's ability to score off the dribble and all around ball handling/passing has greatly improved since coming into the league. He will either be a contributor/key piece to a great team or a 20 per game guy on a bad team(I think he is that good).
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#5 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 12:39 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:I really don't understand our reasoning for declining his team option? It's not like this guy was a top 5 pick owed 5+ mil on the salary books? I mean he barely costs anything?

The easiest answer is we don't have unlimited roster spots. We have 9 guys under contract for next year. I would expect Millsap and DMC to be locks for resigning. Antic may as well. That gives you 11-12. Tavares may come over and take Brand's spot. This leaves room for our draft pick and a free agent or two. No teams have shown interest in trading for Jenkins and they probably did not want to risk having to give up an asset to move him if they needed his roster spot. This is one of the reasons why Payne was moved.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#6 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:25 pm

He falls into the Payne category. No pathway to playing here. He would have to outperform too many people (namely starters) and hes not going to.

So our SG/SF rotations are weird as they are kind of mixed. DMC/KORVER start, but , Bazemore relieves and they we kind of rotate Korver and DMC sometimes for each other.

On the depth Chart Jenkins is listed behind only Korver, but if you look at the wings you are really looking at him having to supplant:

Korver
DMC
Bazemore
Thabo

Dont see that happening
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#7 » by Rip2137 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 5:29 pm

With Carroll being a fa though, you would think they would pick up the option on him. The thing I love is how much all the guys on our team clearly like him. When he was getting garbage minutes, the excitement they would show for him getting touches was amazing.

I guess being too deep is a nice problem to have, but I hate that we are going to lose this kid.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#8 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:33 pm

Rip2137 wrote:With Carroll being a fa though, you would think they would pick up the option on him. The thing I love is how much all the guys on our team clearly like him. When he was getting garbage minutes, the excitement they would show for him getting touches was amazing.

I guess being too deep is a nice problem to have, but I hate that we are going to lose this kid.

Carroll will be a Hawk if they want him to be. He's not going anywhere.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#9 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 6:49 pm

I wouldnt say that, I think we will have to choose between him and Millsap. Im not sure we can sign both
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#10 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 7:43 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I wouldnt say that, I think we will have to choose between him and Millsap. Im not sure we can sign both

and why would that be?

Cap space won't be an issue. We can go over the cap to re-sign them after we sign new free agents.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#11 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 7:46 pm

Depends what they command on the open market, and new ownership. You cant say with certainty anything, neither can i.

If Millsap gets offered BIG dollars somewhere else, I doubt he is here. We wont break the bank to keep a 30+ year old. Same with Carroll
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#12 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 7:50 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Depends what they command on the open market, and new ownership. You cant say with certainty anything, neither can i.

If Millsap gets offered BIG dollars somewhere else, I doubt he is here. We wont break the bank to keep a 30+ year old. Same with Carroll

Well my official prediction is that both are Hawks next season unless we are about to land someone better than them (i.e. stealing Gasol from Memphis). Although, I think Bud may favor having a smaller quicker PF (Millsap) than having a Horford/Gasol combo.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#13 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 8:02 pm

So, as i understand it

We will have around 39 million in committed salaries. We will lose the following (not signed)
Antic
Brand
Jenkins
Carroll
Millsap

The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be(Salary CAP) $66.5 million and (Luxury Tax)$81.0 million, respectively.

Im guessing we will need money for Draft picks and possibly Tavares?

Millsap could get 12-13 million a year. Carroll im not sure what his value is. Korver is at 6 million, Thabo at 4 million.I would guess, eyeballing that he is worth in the 5 million range? Just speculating. Hes not quite the offensive firepower Korver is, and hes better than Thabo. Im not sure he gets elite money, he is going to be 29 also.

We could have basically 90% of the rest of our cap space tied up in 2 30 year old players going forward. Korver will be 1 year older, Teague and AH approaching last years of their deals.

It could happen, but, again, like Jamaal said, if we lose in the second round in 5 games to say, the Raptors (dont say it CANT happen) then status quo wont be good enough. We will need to retool. Im not sure both guys will be willing to give us good conservative flexible deals as this is the last year for a big contract for both of them.

I personally, and its my opinion, I dont think BOTH will be back. Millsap I cant fault, he will cash in and if that is the case, I would not resign him personally.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#14 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 8:29 pm

You are omitting the fact that we can go over the cap to sign these two and Antic so the 90% figure is incorrect.

I doubt the new owners would be willing to go in to the luxury tax but they should be willing to go above the cap. They could easily lose Bud if they kick Ferry to the curb and then are cheap and refuse to back him with spending. Any owner should realize that keeping Bud is a MUST and they should be willing to keep him happy.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#15 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 8:54 pm

Going over the cap solves your problem for THIS YEAR, but you are neglecting the future.

You pay what the market says each player is worth. I think Millsap is going to get BIG $$. Hes a championship piece, he puts teams over the line. He will get offers I think we will not be able to pay, luxury tax or not.

I deal in terms of cap, because VERY few teams will go over that because it usually means you are vastly overpaying
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#16 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:08 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Going over the cap solves your problem for THIS YEAR, but you are neglecting the future.

You pay what the market says each player is worth. I think Millsap is going to get BIG $$. Hes a championship piece, he puts teams over the line. He will get offers I think we will not be able to pay, luxury tax or not.

I deal in terms of cap, because VERY few teams will go over that because it usually means you are vastly overpaying

Are you sure about that?

22 out of 30 teams are over the cap this season. 15 of the 30 teams are over the cap by more than 10 million.

The cap is 63.065 million

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#17 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:12 pm

Youre comparing apples to oranges.

No im not sure of the numbers specifically to each team, but going over the cap doesnt solve your problems, its how you end up like the NETS, or the Hawks from 5 years ago.

You can go over the cap, but is it wise when its 2 30+ year olds that are going to be looking for their last big payday. Hell, using your logic, pay them whatever, who cares, we can go over the cap right?

I guess I should say that its not so much about the totality of the money as its about the nature of the money we will be spending.

Anything less than the ECF and there will need to be changes because this team wont be good enough. extending older Vets doesnt usually make you a better team
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#18 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:24 pm

Back to the topic though, Jenkins looks to be pretty good, but like Payne, he has no spot on this roster to play. So I guess makes sense.

Salary cap wise, I hope Millsap and DMC want to stay here and I hope no one with gobs of money throws it at Millsap. I want him here, but I dont want him here for 5 years. Same with DMC.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter

Post#19 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:31 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Youre comparing apples to oranges.

No im not sure of the numbers specifically to each team, but going over the cap doesnt solve your problems, its how you end up like the NETS, or the Hawks from 5 years ago.

You can go over the cap, but is it wise when its 2 30+ year olds that are going to be looking for their last big payday. Hell, using your logic, pay them whatever, who cares, we can go over the cap right?

I guess I should say that its not so much about the totality of the money as its about the nature of the money we will be spending.

Anything less than the ECF and there will need to be changes because this team wont be good enough. extending older Vets doesnt usually make you a better team

Exaggerate much??

and Demarre is 28, not sure how that equals 30+.

This team will be in trouble if they are scared to pay any one who is 28 or older. Looks like it's rookies or bust!
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#20 » by PandaKidd » Mon Mar 2, 2015 9:36 pm

hes 29 in July. Yes I rounded up. DMC isnt necessarily the issue because he prob wont get BIG money as I stated. But he and Millsap will be interesting because do you give a BIG deal to Millsap that directly impacts DMC.

Or I guess we could just pay them whatever we want, we can go over the cap right! (Exaggerate much :P )

I do not believe this team is good enough to win a championship. Just my opinion, not yet. They have a good formula and have made average to SLIGHTLY better than average players play GREAT. Our core is VERY good, but 50% of them COULD be gone next year. Just forward thinking, not living in the moment.

Obviously we disagree when I do that, this isnt the first time

Return to Atlanta Hawks