ImageImage

Wilkins Statue Revealed

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Wilkins Statue Revealed 

Post#1 » by PandaKidd » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:53 pm

Pretty cool, cant wait to see it later this week in person!

PandaKidd
Analyst

Re: Wilkins Statue Revealed 

Post#2 » by PandaKidd » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:54 pm

PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#3 » by PandaKidd » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:55 pm

DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#4 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:10 pm

Congrats to the Human Highlight Film
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#5 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:56 pm

Wow, wasn't expecting it to look that good! Where are they going to permanently place it at?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,250

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 6, 2015 5:57 pm

Wilkins isn’t getting merely a statue. A long stretch of Centennial Olympic Park Drive, from Marietta St. to Martin Luther King Drive, is being renamed, “Dominique Wilkins Lane.” Celebrations will go on. The statue will find a permanent home outside of Philips Arena, by the “Atlanta” sign.

That's fantastic. I wasn't a huge proponent of him getting a statue out front a la Jordan, but if you're gonna go through with it. Do it all the way. They've embraced him fully. And I'm happy for him.

Also:

A 13½-foot tall statue depicting the Hall of Famer gliding through the air and winding up for a dunk was unveiled on the arena floor.

Among those in attendance and/or giving tributes (live or via video): Erving, Larry Bird (via video), Clyde Drexler, Bernard King, Charles Barkley, Kevin Willis, Karl Malone, Dikembe Mutombo, Detlef Schrempf (video), Mike Fratello and NBA commissioner Adam Silver, as well as the entire Hawks’ teams.

Note that Lenny Wilkens, the man (largely) responsible for trading Dominique...was not present.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:14 pm

Also absent, both physically and by mention: Danny Ferry, the Hawks’ general manager (still, although in purgatory and with an uncertain future). Wilkins hasn’t publicly supported Ferry’s return and believes Ferry didn’t back the push for the statue.

Wilkins did manage to praise the Hawks’ players and coach Mike Budenholzer, saying, “Coach Budenholzer is the orchestrator of what’s going on here.”

Read into that what you will.

There's still animosity in regards to DF. This successful regular season has softened most fans' ire at the estranged GM, but internally...there appear to be quite a few folks still harboring ill will. I read some articles last fall that intimated his turnover of personnel and other business decisions created an atmosphere...less than ideal.

I do attribute most of this team's success to Coach Bud, as well. Suffice to say that if Dominique is a part of the next ownership group...Ferry won't be coming back. And Bud will likely get a permanent promotion.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#8 » by DirtybirdGA » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:44 pm

Here it is now, outside of the arena.

Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#9 » by PandaKidd » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:05 pm

Ive always said that Ferrys tenure here is over with. When the team sells, he will be let go.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:21 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Ive always said that Ferrys tenure here is over with. When the team sells, he will be let go.

Six months ago I was in full agreement, but with the way this season has played out and rumblings of his being considered as GM of the Year in absentia, the tide of opinion seems to have changed in the city.

Andrew Young's public statement of support was a huge deal. That alone made me re-consider my stance.

I still think it's in everyone's best interest if we part ways, amicably. But I did finally figure out why he's still on the payroll. I heard on an ESPN podcast a few weeks back that ferry's contract prevents him from being fired. (His agent is, apparently, a genius.)

The only way he leaves early is by resigning. But doing so would cost him money. So he simply stays on, in name only, until the contract ends.

I think there is a chance that if a new owner walks in with no ties or agenda to Gearon or Wilkins, he could reinstate Ferry temporarily to see if the success can be continued. But would DF even want to come back knowing he'd be on thin ice with a new boss?

He'll have to be getting job offers elsewhere by then...I'd imagine.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#11 » by PandaKidd » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:27 pm

I think there is something weird going on because theres a HUGE ground swell of support from people like Adam Silver, Magic Johnson, local radio talent, Andrew Young, etc.

But then you have someone as pivotal as Wilkins refusing to give any backing. SVP and Rusillo asked him point blank and he said he doesnt get involved with politics. Interesting, hes a MAJOR part of the organization.

IF he comes back it will be after this season is over when everything is died down and they can focus on him and the media circus if hes reinstated. No way they play that distraction out NOW when this team has the chance to do something big.

I just think the easiest path to take, is to sell the team and say "someone else" (new owner) wants THEIR guy, and then Ferry is let go.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 10:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Also absent, both physically and by mention: Danny Ferry, the Hawks’ general manager (still, although in purgatory and with an uncertain future). Wilkins hasn’t publicly supported Ferry’s return and believes Ferry didn’t back the push for the statue.

Wilkins did manage to praise the Hawks’ players and coach Mike Budenholzer, saying, “Coach Budenholzer is the orchestrator of what’s going on here.”

Read into that what you will.

There's still animosity in regards to DF. This successful regular season has softened most fans' ire at the estranged GM, but internally...there appear to be quite a few folks still harboring ill will. I read some articles last fall that intimated his turnover of personnel and other business decisions created an atmosphere...less than ideal.

I do attribute most of this team's success to Coach Bud, as well. Suffice to say that if Dominique is a part of the next ownership group...Ferry won't be coming back. And Bud will likely get a permanent promotion.

What if Bud decides he's not interested, just wants to coach?
Bud has 1 year left on his contract and due an extension, what if he says no Ferry, no Bud? It's not like he won't have suitors lining up for him?
All these things must be accounted for?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#13 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 6, 2015 10:34 pm

jayu70 wrote:What if Bud decides he's not interested, just wants to coach?Bud has 1 year left on his contract and due an extension, what if he says no Ferry, no Bud? It's not like he won't have suitors lining up for him?All these things must be accounted for?

A possibility...but I don't think Bud would risk his future for Danny Ferry. Ferry messed up. I can't see Bud risking uprooting his family over Danny Ferry getting his job back. As of now, Wes Wilcox (the asst GM) is running operations side in conjunction with Bud. Few men would turn down the additional money/power likely offered to Bud.

It's possible. But when it comes to grown-ups, million dollar deals and running massive corporations...people tend to embrace autonomy and power.

I do wonder, though, if Pop announces his retirement as coinciding with Budenholzer's contract end date...would he simply play out his contract and walk back to SAS?

Is their future brighter than ours? Does his family like ATL?

I'll never rule anything out, but I've seen quite a few situations similar to this (ousted GM, hand-picked coach promoted in his absence.) Rarely do the coaches walk away from winning, promotion and a substantial raise...Out of friendship.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:What if Bud decides he's not interested, just wants to coach?Bud has 1 year left on his contract and due an extension, what if he says no Ferry, no Bud? It's not like he won't have suitors lining up for him?All these things must be accounted for?

A possibility...but I don't think Bud would risk his future for Danny Ferry. Ferry messed up. I can't see Bud risking uprooting his family over Danny Ferry getting his job back. As of now, Wes Wilcox (the asst GM) is running operations side in conjunction with Bud. Few men would turn down the additional money/power likely offered to Bud.

It's possible. But when it comes to grown-ups, million dollar deals and running massive corporations...people tend to embrace autonomy and power.

I do wonder, though, if Pop announces his retirement as coinciding with Budenholzer's contract end date...would he simply play out his contract and walk back to SAS?

I'll never rule anything out, but I've seen quite a few situations similar to this (ousted GM, hand-picked coach promoted in his absence.) Rarely do the coaches walk away from winning, promotion and a substantial raise...Out of friendship.

All good points, particularly the Popovich retiring angle. I don't think it would be a matter of brighter future between SAS and Hawks, Bud will probably hang his hat on the more stable franchise knowing that they ALL work together unlike the Hawks especially if there is new owner and possibly GM.
If Bud leaves...... :nonono:
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#15 » by ATL Boy » Sat Mar 7, 2015 12:23 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

There's a possibility that he leaves, but I don't think so. Duncan will probably retire along with Pop, Ginobili is on his last legs, and Tony Parker isn't getting any younger (tuning 33 this May). That team won't be as talented as it is now, and Bud would walk in there with the pressure of having to follow in the footsteps of what some people consider the greatest coach of all time (myself included). I don't think he does that when he's already established his presence in Atlanta, and is so beloved by the city and team.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks