ImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

geeman
Senior
And1: 3

Joel Embiid 

Post#1 » by geeman » Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:38 pm

I herd the 76er are willing to trade anybody on the roster for picks... would you trade this years 1 ( top ten) + the 2017 first we got from the timberwolfs for Embiid?
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:56 pm

As long as we don't end up with a top 3 pick, i would definitely pull the trigger on this. There is no denying Embiid's talent. High risk but the reward is even higher.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#3 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Sat Mar 7, 2015 5:53 pm

Im pretty sure the 76ers would take offense to that weak of a proposal

Sent from my SCH-I535 using RealGM Forums mobile app
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#4 » by theatlfan » Sat Mar 7, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah, I'd imagine the deal would have to be top-3 this season and the MIN 1st. The injury scares me and I think the world of Okafor and Towns. Still, if the scenario is we're sitting at 3 and PHI nabs either Okafor or Towns at 1/2 (the other goes to someone else at the other pick) and PHI really wants either Russell or Mudiay enough for them to pull the trigger, then yeah, I do it.
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#5 » by simon24 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 1:54 am

Why would the Hawks even look at him when they have an All-Star center under contract through next season?
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#6 » by theatlfan » Mon Mar 9, 2015 5:30 am

simon24 wrote:Why would the Hawks even look at him when they have an All-Star center under contract through next season?

Immediate upgrade to backup C and an eventual replacement for either Millsap or Horford in a few years. Having a line of succession lined up - especially for one as talented as Embiid - wouldn't be a bad play.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#7 » by MaceCase » Mon Mar 9, 2015 11:40 am

Bud is close with Brett Brown so I imagine he'd have a great insight into Joel's development and progress from injury and as we saw......the Sixers have everyone work on their 3s which would seal the deal as far as interest in his fit.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Mar 9, 2015 2:00 pm

Their is a possibility that the sixers are already concerned about Embiid's work ethic or attitude. You would think that a 20yr 7footer who is called the "next Hakeem" would be untouchable to an organization.

In addition, the sixers might know something that we don't know in regards to his health. So I would probably be more suspicious that most other posters on this thread.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#9 » by td00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Whatever the plan is, prepare to lose Millsap as he is going to get some serious offers.
I'd take Noel as well if that athlete is not there in the draft.

I don't see Philly parting with Noel though.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#10 » by theatlfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:30 pm

td00 wrote:Whatever the plan is, prepare to lose Millsap as he is going to get some serious offers.
I'd take Noel as well if that athlete is not there in the draft.

I don't see Philly parting with Noel though.
Always surprised to see the "sky is falling" crowd when it comes to Millsap. I mean, we've got the best record in the NBA and are trouncing the Western Conference in h2h's. The fans are coming out in droves to the arena to support the team. Yet we're concerned that we'll lose Millsap simply because he gets "some serious offers"... Huh? I mean we'll put a serious offer on the table too and Millsap has made it clear that he values winning, coaching, and his fit with the team - who can sell these factors better than us? As far as I'm concerned, it's a slam dunk that we Millsap will be in a Hawks uni next season as long as we want him to be. If there's a concern in FA it'll be Demarre - not Millsap.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#11 » by azuresou1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

We can pay Millsap and DeMarre more money than any other team because we have their Bird rights.

Furthermore, the teams that can offer true max money also tend to be total train wrecks. Do you guys really see them leaving us to play for a team like the Knicks over, say, $2M less per year? I don't.
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#12 » by theatlfan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 pm

azuresou1 wrote:We can pay Millsap and DeMarre more money than any other team because we have their Bird rights.

Furthermore, the teams that can offer true max money also tend to be total train wrecks. Do you guys really see them leaving us to play for a team like the Knicks over, say, $2M less per year? I don't.

We only signed them to 2-year deals so we don't have the Full Bird Rights to either, only Early Bird, so we actually can't offer more money than other teams. Using the Early Bird Rights, we can offer Millsap 175% of his salary ($9.5M * 1.75 = $16.625M) which is actually less than his max (which is actually a messed up calculation but it was $17.6952 for someone with 9 years experience for the '14-'15 season); since Carroll contract was so low, then we can offer 104.5% of this season average salary (average salary for '14-'15 is estimated at $5.632M * 1.045 = $5.88544M). For some idea, I read an ESPN article that put Demarre's AAV around $8M (which doesn't fit into the Early Bird) and Millsap's came in around $17.4M (which actually does but that is close enough to max money that someone could eat the extra $1-2M to land him). Obviously, we can use cap room to sign either player but there are issues there as well. If I'm reading it right, we would actually have to renounce the player to get the cap room to sign him which would mean that we'd lose the right to give the player 7.5% raises each year, it'd be capped at the 4.5% that any team could offer.

The bigger reason I am confident that we resign Millsap and at least 80% on Demarre is simply the fact that we're a really, really good team. Assuming we put a similar deal on the table that others offer, then why would they want to go elsewhere? Better chance for a ring? We have the best record in the NBA. Larger role? They are starters. Better city? Seriously, what young Afro-American millionaire wants to move from Atlanta? They have interests in other places? Both seem really, really happy to be here and not the type who sees the grass as being greener. Maybe there are some hidden items that weigh in some other team's favor (like Millsap really just want to go home to Louisiana or something) but as far as the major items on the hit list, we'll win just about any debate.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#13 » by td00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm

It's important that we keep both; Based on the season's results, I feel like we will sign them.

But the league is big enough that surprising things happen, (like Lin and Asik getting their deals 3 years ago).
I was expressing the need to have a backup plan in case things don't go as projected.

Return to Atlanta Hawks