THABO AND PERO arrested for obstruction of justice

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: THABO AND PERO arrested for obstruction of justice 

Post#141 » by MaceCase » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 am

theatlfan wrote:
MaceCase wrote:The Hawks already put themselves in just a tad bit of a bind by publicly supporting both Thabo and Pero by claiming with "conviction", as were Koonin's exact words, that they are innocent of the charges. Would be odd to then turn around and terminate Thabo's contract based on a misdemeanor charge of all things that they believed to be bogus to begin with. The union would have a field day on that alone.

As Rip stated, this idea would sure go a long way towards destroying more goodwill for a team that hasn't exactly banked much capital in it to begin with. Lost in the "person x is solely to blame for everything" debate is the fact that the Hawks organization, the people who matter most, have been behind both Thabo and Pero about 100%. They haven't played the "wait and see" or the "we'll allow this to be worked out in court" cards, they've played the "we stand by our guys and if not for pending legal action would drop a few choice words on the matter" card. That is a hard 180 to go from.
Don't think I'd read too much into Koonin's words. I'm sure that, if it came to pass that Pero went elsewhere in FA and we realized that Thabo simply wasn't going to make it back from his injury, that Koonin would still support Thabo and Pero since it seems like Koonin is a decent human being and the video of Thabo's beat down was particularly appalling. Still, like when a GM backs a coach toward the end of the season then decides to fire him just a few weeks later, the two decisions are completely separate from each other and there is no conflict between showing support today and not having that interfere with the hard decision you have to make later. We should also note that, in this instance, Koonin wouldn't even be making the decision to terminate Thabo's contract so the analogy is even stronger than the situation here.

Also don't look too much into the weight of the charges. It doesn't matter if it was a misdemeanor, a felony, a traffic ticket or even if he was just detained without charges, the only thing pertinent is that he was injured by being in a situation that the organization would have a reasonable expectation that Thabo should have avoided. The simple fact here is that Thabo was more concerned about himself and not being detained than he was about the organization and ensuring that he was 100% for those who were paying him. As I said above, this doesn't mean he deserved what happened to him (he didn't), but it does beg the question I also posed above: why are we on the hook to get nothing from more $$ than the average American makes in his lifetime for the mistakes of others?

Again, if Thabo's injury isn't too severe and he can come back to being a productive NBA regular, then the entire conversation is moot. As long as he recovers, I don't care how he got hurt and I'd guess that neither would the Hawks' FO (well, outside of perhaps going after the City of NY for wages for lost productivity and medical expenses the club incurs). We all know that this is the preferred outcome from everyone's perspective - perhaps most specifically the NYPD because of potential lawsuits.

Not sure what you're getting at by declaring that Thabo "was more concerned about himself and not being detained" as a "fact". It would seem to me that you believe the police report that he resisted arrest despite video evidence showing quite the contrary or perhaps you've just taken an entirely different take on the video evidence. Either way, the organization's stance behind both players arrived even before said video evidence. They seem to have been satisfied with their testimony on the events.

Beyond that, Bud declared that there are no and will be no curfews so there are no grounds to declare that he was in an avoidable situation. If the police instigated the situation then the police instigated the situation, you cannot make a grounds to punish Thabo on this aspect because he happened to get injured all the while letting Pero continue to play. It is not at all like firing a coach based on performance or perception either, when has that ever been applicable to players? Coaches don't count against your cap and simply being out at night is not grounds to claim "engaging in risky behavior", at least not the sort where you'd have legal and not moral grounds to define it as such. If getting injured while skiing and/or riding a moped, both activities which are explicitly forbidden within contracts, didn't result in those players having their contracts voided then I just don't see how it's applicable here.

You discussed outright finding a way to "get off the hook" for his remaining salary and I'm telling you that if that is a course that the Hawks wanted to undertake that they've already done enough to ruin their case even without there already being evidence to suggest that they wouldn't have had much of one to begin with. When coaches get fired they still get paid which makes your analogy fall even more flat so the laments of the average American is inapplicable. Additionally the Hawks organization have little recourse as an aggrieved third party to recoup damages from the NYPD, we've been attempting to research legal precedent on this on another Hawks site and found little applicable case law.

If you want to take the stance that Thabo is at fault then you'd have to have some rather compelling evidence, as such I don't think you have a leg to stand on in this case as I doubt sincerely that there are any clauses within Thabo's contract that the organization could enforce either by the letter of the law or without a huge legal fight. The video evidence and the severity of the charges also go a long way towards making that an uphill battle. The already shameful litigious history of the organization would also suggest that your concerns are a non-issue as I don't believe that ~8 million is really worth the headache.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#142 » by theatlfan » Mon May 11, 2015 7:11 pm

MaceCase wrote:Not sure what you're getting at by declaring that Thabo "was more concerned about himself and not being detained" as a "fact". It would seem to me that you believe the police report that he resisted arrest despite video evidence showing quite the contrary or perhaps you've just taken an entirely different take on the video evidence. Either way, the organization's stance behind both players arrived even before said video evidence. They seem to have been satisfied with their testimony on the events.

Beyond that, Bud declared that there are no and will be no curfews so there are no grounds to declare that he was in an avoidable situation. If the police instigated the situation then the police instigated the situation, you cannot make a grounds to punish Thabo on this aspect because he happened to get injured all the while letting Pero continue to play. It is not at all like firing a coach based on performance or perception either, when has that ever been applicable to players? Coaches don't count against your cap and simply being out at night is not grounds to claim "engaging in risky behavior", at least not the sort where you'd have legal and not moral grounds to define it as such. If getting injured while skiing and/or riding a moped, both activities which are explicitly forbidden within contracts, didn't result in those players having their contracts voided then I just don't see how it's applicable here.

You discussed outright finding a way to "get off the hook" for his remaining salary and I'm telling you that if that is a course that the Hawks wanted to undertake that they've already done enough to ruin their case even without there already being evidence to suggest that they wouldn't have had much of one to begin with. When coaches get fired they still get paid which makes your analogy fall even more flat so the laments of the average American is inapplicable. Additionally the Hawks organization have little recourse as an aggrieved third party to recoup damages from the NYPD, we've been attempting to research legal precedent on this on another Hawks site and found little applicable case law.

If you want to take the stance that Thabo is at fault then you'd have to have some rather compelling evidence, as such I don't think you have a leg to stand on in this case as I doubt sincerely that there are any clauses within Thabo's contract that the organization could enforce either by the letter of the law or without a huge legal fight. The video evidence and the severity of the charges also go a long way towards making that an uphill battle. The already shameful litigious history of the organization would also suggest that your concerns are a non-issue as I don't believe that ~8 million is really worth the headache.

Sorry about the delay in response - there's been an extended hospital stay and some major events in my life since I was last here. I would just let this pass, but there are parts here that I view as demanding a response.

1st, yes, Thabo was selfish (and Pero too). If you show up to a party where someone was stabbed and your reaction is to continue like nothing has happened to the point where you are even near the area where the event(s) took place when the police arrive, then no, you're not thinking of the greater good. The simple fact is that the 2 players have put themselves into a situation where it can be reasonably construed that trouble could found them - and it did. For someone who isn't in the public eye, then who cares, but for someone who is, you should have more sense than that. There are reasons that most people aren't "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and that is that typically you can have a sense to know where and when the wrong place at the wrong time is - and a recent stabbing is pretty f'ing big sign with glowing neon lights. And yes, remaining in the place where trouble can find you is most definitely engaging in risky behavior.

2nd, the entire reason Coach Bud wouldn't implement a curfew is that he trusts his players enough to do the right thing - getting arrested is the exact opposite of doing the right thing. If anything, Thabo and Pero abused the trust that Coach Bud had given to the players by allowing themselves to get into a situation where one of the realistic possible outcomes is that they would go to jail and, even worse in management's eyes, get injured. As far as I'm concerned, Coach Bud is trying to treat his players like adults while Pero and Thabo insisted on acting like children in thinking they are invincible enough to do whatever they felt like without looking at the entire situation. I have no idea why this would be considered a defense for either of the players.

3rd, an HC is part of management. Players and management are two different entities and their contracts aren't comparable - this is true in every industry. There isn't anyone of the floor of any business in America who gets a golden parachute when s/he is fired. Still, there are instances where a coach could be fired "with cause" in which case the coach wouldn't get paid after he leaves. In every professional athlete's contract, there is language saying that getting injured while engaging in non-prescribed (not even necessarily risky) behavior would result in a similar termination. This is not new ground, there are several examples of this - Ron Gant being a local one; Monta Ellis being another.

4th, you have to understand that, if Thabo hadn't come out of this with a broken ankle that was caught on camera, then he would have been found guilty of the crime. This isn't to say he did it, but he would be guilty. Having 6 to 7 upstanding citizens (at least in the judge's eyes) saying you did something while you have a crowd of people who were, you know, the type of crowd that would be frequenting a night club at 4 AM after a stabbing had occurred earlier that night (remember all that really matters here is the judge's PoV), then you could be sentenced to death if the crime was bad enough. The fact here is that, if Thabo does get off these charges, then he gets off because of the video of the police hitting him - not in spite of it. So, yes, the entire rationale here is most definitely legal. (Aside: I lost the innocence in thinking that athletes should be role model - and hence, have any expectation that the athlete would be even a remotely upstanding citizens - a long, long time ago...)

Last, you have to get it out of your head that we'd be "punish[ing]" Thabo here; the Hawks would have one and only one motivation which is to protect their interests. Why should the Hawks organization be on the hook for millions of $$ when we had absolutely nothing to do with the incident? Why should we be forced to put an inferior product on the floor (since we couldn't replace Thabo with the best possible option since he is taking up cap space) because of the actions of others that we were never party to? I think it's a sign of the times to think that someone is entitled to that money from an entity regardless of his ability to actually perform the actions for that entity for which said entity is paying him. The Hawks had zero involvement in Thabo's decision to go to the night club, remain at the night club even after realizing that a major crime had been committed scant hours before, and the officers' of the NYPD decision to gang up on a defenseless person - yet someone we're out $M because of it? If you gave the neighbor's kid a dollar to buy an ice cream cone that he drops into the street, are you now indebted to the kid that ice cream cone even if you don't have another dollar to buy another? This is what I'm seeing that you are saying the Hawks should have to do.

You make a good point on the "aggrieved 3rd party" though. If Thabo had worked at as a Wal-Mart cashier, then Wal-Mart isn't entitled to the $$ they spent in paying others overtime to fill in for him. As with the comments on the Hawks organization and the issue with Thabo's contract, NYPD wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Wal-Mart didn't have enough cashiers to cover for the employee without paying overtime so why should they have to pay for .

As I said before, I think we can all agree that the BCS for the Hawks is that Thabo makes a full recovery and is 100% before we are forced to make any decision here. It the easiest path for all parties - including the NYPD IMO.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#143 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 pm

theatlfan, sorry to hear about the hospital issue.

Glad to see you posting again.

While you were gone...we had...some issues in this thread.

Tread carefully. Please. You've been here long enough to know how these things can veer out of control.

I beg of you. As one of the few reasonable people left on this blog. Use extreme discretion. uga has entrusted us to self police.

Respectfully asking that you not let this go (again) where it can very easily (and likely will) go.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#144 » by MaceCase » Mon May 11, 2015 9:30 pm

theatlfan wrote:
MaceCase wrote:Not sure what you're getting at by declaring that Thabo "was more concerned about himself and not being detained" as a "fact". It would seem to me that you believe the police report that he resisted arrest despite video evidence showing quite the contrary or perhaps you've just taken an entirely different take on the video evidence. Either way, the organization's stance behind both players arrived even before said video evidence. They seem to have been satisfied with their testimony on the events.

Sorry about the delay in response - there's been an extended hospital stay and some major events in my life since I was last here. I would just let this pass, but there are parts here that I view as demanding a response.

1st, yes, Thabo was selfish (and Pero too). If you show up to a party where someone was stabbed and your reaction is to continue like nothing has happened to the point where you are even near the area where the event(s) took place when the police arrive, then no, you're not thinking of the greater good. The simple fact is that the 2 players have put themselves into a situation where it can be reasonably construed that trouble could found them - and it did. For someone who isn't in the public eye, then who cares, but for someone who is, you should have more sense than that. There are reasons that most people aren't "in the wrong place at the wrong time" and that is that typically you can have a sense to know where and when the wrong place at the wrong time is - and a recent stabbing is pretty f'ing big sign with glowing neon lights. And yes, remaining in the place where trouble can find you is most definitely engaging in risky behavior.

2nd, the entire reason Coach Bud wouldn't implement a curfew is that he trusts his players enough to do the right thing - getting arrested is the exact opposite of doing the right thing. If anything, Thabo and Pero abused the trust that Coach Bud had given to the players by allowing themselves to get into a situation where one of the realistic possible outcomes is that they would go to jail and, even worse in management's eyes, get injured. As far as I'm concerned, Coach Bud is trying to treat his players like adults while Pero and Thabo insisted on acting like children in thinking they are invincible enough to do whatever they felt like without looking at the entire situation. I have no idea why this would be considered a defense for either of the players.

3rd, an HC is part of management. Players and management are two different entities and their contracts aren't comparable - this is true in every industry. There isn't anyone of the floor of any business in America who gets a golden parachute when s/he is fired. Still, there are instances where a coach could be fired "with cause" in which case the coach wouldn't get paid after he leaves. In every professional athlete's contract, there is language saying that getting injured while engaging in non-prescribed (not even necessarily risky) behavior would result in a similar termination. This is not new ground, there are several examples of this - Ron Gant being a local one; Monta Ellis being another.

4th, you have to understand that, if Thabo hadn't come out of this with a broken ankle that was caught on camera, then he would have been found guilty of the crime. This isn't to say he did it, but he would be guilty. Having 6 to 7 upstanding citizens (at least in the judge's eyes) saying you did something while you have a crowd of people who were, you know, the type of crowd that would be frequenting a night club at 4 AM after a stabbing had occurred earlier that night (remember all that really matters here is the judge's PoV), then you could be sentenced to death if the crime was bad enough. The fact here is that, if Thabo does get off these charges, then he gets off because of the video of the police hitting him - not in spite of it. So, yes, the entire rationale here is most definitely legal. (Aside: I lost the innocence in thinking that athletes should be role model - and hence, have any expectation that the athlete would be even a remotely upstanding citizens - a long, long time ago...)

Last, you have to get it out of your head that we'd be "punish[ing]" Thabo here; the Hawks would have one and only one motivation which is to protect their interests. Why should the Hawks organization be on the hook for millions of $$ when we had absolutely nothing to do with the incident? Why should we be forced to put an inferior product on the floor (since we couldn't replace Thabo with the best possible option since he is taking up cap space) because of the actions of others that we were never party to? I think it's a sign of the times to think that someone is entitled to that money from an entity regardless of his ability to actually perform the actions for that entity for which said entity is paying him. The Hawks had zero involvement in Thabo's decision to go to the night club, remain at the night club even after realizing that a major crime had been committed scant hours before, and the officers' of the NYPD decision to gang up on a defenseless person - yet someone we're out $M because of it? If you gave the neighbor's kid a dollar to buy an ice cream cone that he drops into the street, are you now indebted to the kid that ice cream cone even if you don't have another dollar to buy another? This is what I'm seeing that you are saying the Hawks should have to do.

You make a good point on the "aggrieved 3rd party" though. If Thabo had worked at as a Wal-Mart cashier, then Wal-Mart isn't entitled to the $$ they spent in paying others overtime to fill in for him. As with the comments on the Hawks organization and the issue with Thabo's contract, NYPD wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Wal-Mart didn't have enough cashiers to cover for the employee without paying overtime so why should they have to pay for .

As I said before, I think we can all agree that the BCS for the Hawks is that Thabo makes a full recovery and is 100% before we are forced to make any decision here. It the easiest path for all parties - including the NYPD IMO.

I'm just going to have to say "agree to disagree". This post is just a lengthier manner of parroting what I've already seen enough of in this thread where the opinion is that anyone out after dusk is likely a miscreant or liable to run into trouble because only miscreants populate the streets after dusk like some sort of urban vampires. It's blaming the victim and lot of your logic is flowing from that standpoint, I'm taking the standpoint that once you remove whatever moral hangups that people may have, legally there isn't much here for the Hawks.

Even if there is rather specific writing within Thabo's contract specifically stating that he'd be terminated if this very specific case was to happen you would still be in for a legal battle with both Thabo's representatives and the players' union because terminating guaranteed player contracts that have little existence in any other walk of life to be comparing them to just doesn't happen. This is perhaps why your examples of it actually being done are limited and it's not just being a "sign of the times". From a money standpoint this may or not even be worth the hassle given that it isn't as open and shut as you claim and from a perception standpoint it's definitely not worth the hassle.

Additionally, you're making way too much out of the contract situation to create a nonexistent impetus. These contracts are insured after all and the CBA does allow for exceptions to the salary cap for players who are physically unable to perform. If it's a manner where you are saying that he can play but to a lesser degree...well good luck in trying to set the precedent for terminating players' contracts based on decline...that is certainly not a can of worms that surely wouldn't set off a super nova through the entire Association. Again, I don't think that Thabo is the one to set off on this crusade with, just doesn't seem worth it.

Lastly, I pray that all is well with you and yours and that the Hawks' playoff performance hasn't added to any of your stresses. I find that caring for this team or any sports team for that matter can help alleviate and put into context any other of life's struggles if you find yourself still having the time to follow and post about them. Definitely is a form of catharsis in being able to scream at the TV or engage in healthy debate as a distraction. Cheers!
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#145 » by theatlfan » Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 am

MaceCase wrote:I'm just going to have to say "agree to disagree". This post is just a lengthier manner of parroting what I've already seen enough of in this thread where the opinion is that anyone out after dusk is likely a miscreant or liable to run into trouble because only miscreants populate the streets after dusk like some sort of urban vampires. It's blaming the victim and lot of your logic is flowing from that standpoint, I'm taking the standpoint that once you remove whatever moral hangups that people may have, legally there isn't much here for the Hawks.

Even if there is rather specific writing within Thabo's contract specifically stating that he'd be terminated if this very specific case was to happen you would still be in for a legal battle with both Thabo's representatives and the players' union because terminating guaranteed player contracts that have little existence in any other walk of life to be comparing them to just doesn't happen. This is perhaps why your examples of it actually being done are limited and it's not just being a "sign of the times". From a money standpoint this may or not even be worth the hassle given that it isn't as open and shut as you claim and from a perception standpoint it's definitely not worth the hassle.

Additionally, you're making way too much out of the contract situation to create a nonexistent impetus. These contracts are insured after all and the CBA does allow for exceptions to the salary cap for players who are physically unable to perform. If it's a manner where you are saying that he can play but to a lesser degree...well good luck in trying to set the precedent for terminating players' contracts based on decline...that is certainly not a can of worms that surely wouldn't set off a super nova through the entire Association. Again, I don't think that Thabo is the one to set off on this crusade with, just doesn't seem worth it.

Lol - whut? "Victim Blaming"? Don't paint Thabo in the same light as a woman who was beaten and/or raped. Let's not forget that Thabo (and Pero who is not innocent either here) was in the process of being arrested. No one is making up a wrong and pinning it on Thabo here. It was very clear that the police were more upset with Thabo than a typical arrest and let's face it: it would be very hard to mix up the 6'6+" Swedish black guy hanging out with the 7' Macedonian white guy dressed like an extra in Saturday Night Fever for the other couple of guys who looked like that.

The typical language is pretty broad and generally included in all contracts for professional athletes - I've already cited the case of Monta Ellis so I know it's in NBA players contracts as well. IIRC, GSW used the option to reduce the terms of Ellis' contract (Ellis had to agree or become an FA with a bum ankle) so I can't think that the bar for proof here is exceedingly high. The contract was for 6 years so I have to think that GSW would have been threatening to invoke the clause on decline over and beyond any expected decline (which I grant was negligible for Ellis although not necessarily so with Thabo). All you have to show is that the contract that you agreed to isn't what you're getting and the discrepancy is due in large part to an injury incurred while doing something that wasn't sanctioned. To use the ice cream cone analogy again, if you pay for an ice cream cone and you get handed a half-melted ice cream scoop in a cup, then you could demand your money back regardless of why the ice cream was melted or the seller was out of cones. That's the same thing happening here - Thabo sold the Hawks on something that he can't deliver on (well, in our base of assumptions) and this decline is through no fault of the Hawks. So, yeah, the Hawks can ask for their money back.

Last, I doubt the NBAPA would want to go after the Hawks if we did decide to invoke the clause. 1st, they wouldn't want to set precedent on the CBA in a case where the aggrieved was arrested in the action - you just don't win any brownie points for backing the guy who is getting off on a technicality. Another factor in this case is that it also means that NBA investigators would be talking to the officers who accused Thabo of coming at him/them in the 1st place which is most likely information no one would be privy to otherwise since the DA won't (or possibly can't) have any officers testify due to the video. Also, remember that the CBA points are decided in the court of popular opinion as well as across the negotiation table. Why go after the Hawks and set up another rich entitled players vs. rich entitled owners case when you can go after the NYPD and show that you have to deal with the same issues as Joe Fan on the street? Not saying the NBAPA wants the Hawks to terminate the contract, but I will say they wouldn't be too disappointed if it happened.

MaceCase wrote:Lastly, I pray that all is well with you and yours and that the Hawks' playoff performance hasn't added to any of your stresses. I find that caring for this team or any sports team for that matter can help alleviate and put into context any other of life's struggles if you find yourself still having the time to follow and post about them. Definitely is a form of catharsis in being able to scream at the TV or engage in healthy debate as a distraction. Cheers!

Jamaaliver wrote:theatlfan, sorry to hear about the hospital issue.

Glad to see you posting again.

While you were gone...we had...some issues in this thread.

Tread carefully. Please. You've been here long enough to know how these things can veer out of control.

I beg of you. As one of the few reasonable people left on this blog. Use extreme discretion. uga has entrusted us to self police.

Respectfully asking that you not let this go (again) where it can very easily (and likely will) go.

I wish to thank you both for your sympathies and well wishes. The hospital stay was actually somewhat expected but there were some complications that caused it to get moved up and the stay to be longer what was expected. I hope all is well with y'all as well.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#146 » by MaceCase » Wed May 13, 2015 12:18 pm

theatlfan wrote:
MaceCase wrote:I'm just going to have to say "agree to disagree". This post is just a lengthier manner of parroting what I've already seen enough of in this thread where the opinion is that anyone out after dusk is likely a miscreant or liable to run into trouble because only miscreants populate the streets after dusk like some sort of urban vampires. It's blaming the victim and lot of your logic is flowing from that standpoint, I'm taking the standpoint that once you remove whatever moral hangups that people may have, legally there isn't much here for the Hawks.

Lol - whut? "Victim Blaming"? Don't paint Thabo in the same light as a woman who was beaten and/or raped. Let's not forget that Thabo (and Pero who is not innocent either here) was in the process of being arrested. No one is making up a wrong and pinning it on Thabo here. It was very clear that the police were more upset with Thabo than a typical arrest and let's face it: it would be very hard to mix up the 6'6+" Swedish black guy hanging out with the 7' Macedonian white guy dressed like an extra in Saturday Night Fever for the other couple of guys who looked like that.

The typical language is pretty broad and generally included in all contracts for professional athletes - I've already cited the case of Monta Ellis so I know it's in NBA players contracts as well. IIRC, GSW used the option to reduce the terms of Ellis' contract (Ellis had to agree or become an FA with a bum ankle) so I can't think that the bar for proof here is exceedingly high. The contract was for 6 years so I have to think that GSW would have been threatening to invoke the clause on decline over and beyond any expected decline (which I grant was negligible for Ellis although not necessarily so with Thabo). All you have to show is that the contract that you agreed to isn't what you're getting and the discrepancy is due in large part to an injury incurred while doing something that wasn't sanctioned. To use the ice cream cone analogy again, if you pay for an ice cream cone and you get handed a half-melted ice cream scoop in a cup, then you could demand your money back regardless of why the ice cream was melted or the seller was out of cones. That's the same thing happening here - Thabo sold the Hawks on something that he can't deliver on (well, in our base of assumptions) and this decline is through no fault of the Hawks. So, yeah, the Hawks can ask for their money back.

Last, I doubt the NBAPA would want to go after the Hawks if we did decide to invoke the clause. 1st, they wouldn't want to set precedent on the CBA in a case where the aggrieved was arrested in the action - you just don't win any brownie points for backing the guy who is getting off on a technicality. Another factor in this case is that it also means that NBA investigators would be talking to the officers who accused Thabo of coming at him/them in the 1st place which is most likely information no one would be privy to otherwise since the DA won't (or possibly can't) have any officers testify due to the video. Also, remember that the CBA points are decided in the court of popular opinion as well as across the negotiation table. Why go after the Hawks and set up another rich entitled players vs. rich entitled owners case when you can go after the NYPD and show that you have to deal with the same issues as Joe Fan on the street? Not saying the NBAPA wants the Hawks to terminate the contract, but I will say they wouldn't be too disappointed if it happened.

Why yes, I do consider it victim blaming when I see extra adjectives such as "selfish" and personally biased interpretations of the events being added. Sure, they were arrested but have you ever heard of a wrongful arrest? That just so happens to be a point that the aggrieved parties are arguing so again, simply being arrested is not an admission of guilt....the criminal justice system just doesn't work that way, you might have been briefed on this at the beginning of every Law and Order episode right before the sound of the gong. The only thing that we can say that Thabo is guilty of in terms of getting hurt is saying the one word that is guaranteed to elicit the exact opposite response of its meaning, "relax". At the mention of that (despite already being in the process of being cuffed) is when the police officers decided that it was "necessary" to play tug of war with him.

I don't think that Monta really helps you here either, the Warriors suspended him for 30 games and that was it. They attempted to leave their options open in terms of tacking on more punishments but of course, were hit by an appeal on punishing the same crime twice. But look at the timing there, their punishment of Monta was immediate but they went with the much lesser punishment rather than voiding his contract despite the fact he was in clear violation of article 12. Same was the case for Radmonovic and these were contracts that were a metric ton larger than what the Hawks owe Thabo. Does that make sense to you that teams didn't bother with the nuclear option with far more egregious actions and potentially crippling deals but the Hawks would seriously undertake it with this?

That is just another area where your case is weak, beyond that you would only be able to do as you say if your belief that the arrest wast first) justified and second) Thabo engaged in actions to get himself hurt while under arrest. Simply being in the situation where you are getting arrested can't be a part of your reasoning because of Pero Antic. Yup, the other "selfish" guy that was arrested. Did Pero face any fines? Did Pero face any suspensions? Did Pero get told to stay home until the case is resolved? Did Pero even get benched for a game? A quarter? The answers are no, he didn't receive any punishment just for being arrested so it is then hard to say that Thabo is deserving of punishment simply because he happened to get arrested and then hurt. It's a bit of a leap to say "well you weren't really wrong up until the moment you got hurt, now you really were wrong all along. Give us our money back"

Your analogies just really fall flat. Comparing coaches to players? Nope. Comparing players to Joe Schmoe? Nope. Ice cream? definitely not, when you decided to fully guarantee a NBA contract you essentially bought it while staring at a neon sign blazing above the menu saying "all sales are final". You can't demand your money back unless you manage to make and win a case with the FDA that you were indeed intentionally not being sold ice cream at all. You're not going to win this case in the court of public opinion either because, uhm, which is a bigger factor for Joe Schmoe these days, entitled athletes or police brutality? What kind of message do you think it potentially sends that it doesn't even matter how much money a person has that he could still face grave injury by the police even for committing what amounts to jaywalking? What message does it send that his employer would then fire him for it?

Lastly, I believe you are WAY wrong on how the NBAPA would react. The guaranteed contract is a cornerstone of their existence, to think they'd fear setting a precedent of protecting guys who just so happened to get arrested while allowing the owners to liberally void the deals of players just for getting arrested is way off the mark. I'd imagine that coach Budenholzer would start sweating too knowing that he has a DUI arrest hanging around or are we only going to go after players/coaches and invoke clauses when we feel they can't still benefit the team? Rape charges? Nope, no fear of voiding, you can still drop 30ppg. Injuring yourself during a vehicular homicide for which you served actual jail time? No, you're a key contributor on a contender. Simply being arrested isn't enough. Getting injured also isn't enough. Thabo's injury hasn't been classified by anyone as even being remotely career threatening. If he comes back the next season a step slower, can you factually attribute that solely to his injury and not just natural athletic deterioration?

No, my friend, once you're able to look past the "selfish" act of getting arrested you'll find that this is a far more complicated matter than what you are proposing.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#147 » by theatlfan » Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 pm

MaceCase wrote:Why yes, I do consider it victim blaming when I see extra adjectives such as "selfish" and personally biased interpretations of the events being added. Sure, they were arrested but have you ever heard of a wrongful arrest? That just so happens to be a point that the aggrieved parties are arguing so again, simply being arrested is not an admission of guilt....the criminal justice system just doesn't work that way, you might have been briefed on this at the beginning of every Law and Order episode right before the sound of the gong. The only thing that we can say that Thabo is guilty of in terms of getting hurt is saying the one word that is guaranteed to elicit the exact opposite response of its meaning, "relax". At the mention of that (despite already being in the process of being cuffed) is when the police officers decided that it was "necessary" to play tug of war with him.

I don't think that Monta really helps you here either, the Warriors suspended him for 30 games and that was it. They attempted to leave their options open in terms of tacking on more punishments but of course, were hit by an appeal on punishing the same crime twice. But look at the timing there, their punishment of Monta was immediate but they went with the much lesser punishment rather than voiding his contract despite the fact he was in clear violation of article 12. Same was the case for Radmonovic and these were contracts that were a metric ton larger than what the Hawks owe Thabo. Does that make sense to you that teams didn't bother with the nuclear option with far more egregious actions and potentially crippling deals but the Hawks would seriously undertake it with this?

That is just another area where your case is weak, beyond that you would only be able to do as you say if your belief that the arrest wast first) justified and second) Thabo engaged in actions to get himself hurt while under arrest. Simply being in the situation where you are getting arrested can't be a part of your reasoning because of Pero Antic. Yup, the other "selfish" guy that was arrested. Did Pero face any fines? Did Pero face any suspensions? Did Pero get told to stay home until the case is resolved? Did Pero even get benched for a game? A quarter? The answers are no, he didn't receive any punishment just for being arrested so it is then hard to say that Thabo is deserving of punishment simply because he happened to get arrested and then hurt. It's a bit of a leap to say "well you weren't really wrong up until the moment you got hurt, now you really were wrong all along. Give us our money back"

Your analogies just really fall flat. Comparing coaches to players? Nope. Comparing players to Joe Schmoe? Nope. Ice cream? definitely not, when you decided to fully guarantee a NBA contract you essentially bought it while staring at a neon sign blazing above the menu saying "all sales are final". You can't demand your money back unless you manage to make and win a case with the FDA that you were indeed intentionally not being sold ice cream at all. You're not going to win this case in the court of public opinion either because, uhm, which is a bigger factor for Joe Schmoe these days, entitled athletes or police brutality? What kind of message do you think it potentially sends that it doesn't even matter how much money a person has that he could still face grave injury by the police even for committing what amounts to jaywalking? What message does it send that his employer would then fire him for it?

Lastly, I believe you are WAY wrong on how the NBAPA would react. The guaranteed contract is a cornerstone of their existence, to think they'd fear setting a precedent of protecting guys who just so happened to get arrested while allowing the owners to liberally void the deals of players just for getting arrested is way off the mark. I'd imagine that coach Budenholzer would start sweating too knowing that he has a DUI arrest hanging around or are we only going to go after players/coaches and invoke clauses when we feel they can't still benefit the team? Rape charges? Nope, no fear of voiding, you can still drop 30ppg. Injuring yourself during a vehicular homicide for which you served actual jail time? No, you're a key contributor on a contender. Simply being arrested isn't enough. Getting injured also isn't enough. Thabo's injury hasn't been classified by anyone as even being remotely career threatening. If he comes back the next season a step slower, can you factually attribute that solely to his injury and not just natural athletic deterioration?

No, my friend, once you're able to look past the "selfish" act of getting arrested you'll find that this is a far more complicated matter than what you are proposing.

?? You are not a victim because you got arrested; you are not absolved from your wrongs because you were wronged in turn. I'm am not sure which point you are making in calling Thabo a victim that should be blameless but both are actually more than a bit worrisome that member/s of society would actually think that they are remotely valid philosophical beliefs so forth legal ones.

For the 1st point, I think your definition of a "justified" arrest would differ from much of the persons within law enforcement and, in this case, would most likely have been justified to society as a whole if not for some random stranger with a camera phone with video functionality in the wee hours of the morning. The thing you are consistently failing to realize is that the police weren't on the scene as part of a normal routine; they were there because of a violent crime had been committed in which they were investigating. This isn't a case where a bored traffic officer decided to pull someone over because he didn't like how someone looked; this was a case where a group of officer's were trying to protect potential evidence at the crime scene for a violent crime. If the officer felt that, left unchecked, the actions of Thabo or Pero could contribute to the inability to investigate and/or prosecute the crime effectively (for whatever reason/s), then the arrest would be justified in the minds of the officers; as noted above, the point I made without being refuted that Thabo would most likely be guilty without the video evidence of his being assaulted would have actually justified the arrest to society as a whole as Thabo would then be a convicted criminal. This is actually the #1 reason that I would say that Pero's and Thabo's decision to remain at the scene was selfish - and no, the act of getting arrested is not selfish in and of itself, but in this case, as with most that result in arrest, there are action/s and/or decision/s that are selfish that are key decision points that lead up to the arrest. A sensible person should understand that, given the circumstances, the bar for the justification of law enforcement to make an arrest is appreciable lowered so by simply remaining at the scene, both are making a decision - whether conscious or no - that puts himself in a situation where the expectation getting arrested is heightened. (Again, not saying he did what he's accused of, but he would have been guilty of it - this is a not so subtle truth of the legal system. If he gets off, it has everything to do with the video that some stranger shot on the street of NYC at 4 AM and nothing to do with what happened inside the club which ended up with both Thabo and Pero being detained.) Further, if you want to throw names around, I have to say that any other view of this is just being an Enabler in that both were clearly putting themselves over the desires of society as a whole which prefers to let police do the job of arresting violent criminals and would give some leeway in this act.

The problem with the 2nd point is that Thabo was arrested 1st - or, at least, detained and the police had made the decision to arrest him - and hence, Thabo was a criminal 1st and anything that happened up to that point would necessarily be completely separate from anything that happened after. Is it victim blaming to blame Pero for getting arrested (which I have made clear that I do place blame on him)? How is Pero a victim? Because he was arrested? By this logic any law enforcement personnel can never do his/her job - even to remove serial murderers from the street since means the murder is a victim for being arrested. To further your thought, many other questions come to bear as well: how long after an arrest can a person all the sudden become a victim and would be absolved from his crime? If "Bob" was arrested for murder "Joe" then Bob is beaten up / killed / raped in jail a few months later, then are you really saying that it's victim blaming to say that Bob shouldn't have killed Joe in the first place? How about after conviction and the subsequent issue happened in prison? Further, if we consider other extreme scenarios, the argument becomes even more ridiculous. If a guy has a hostage and is shot by police to end the standoff, then would you say that it's victim blaming to say that the guy shouldn't have taken a hostage just because he got shot? Another case: say that a father finds out that a 20's something guy showed his toddler kid a hard core pornographic film (which is apparently a misdemeanor in FLA). Your argument would be that me saying that the 20 something guy probably got what he deserved when the Dad went over and beat his @ss would be victim blaming. I find it very hard to think that any rational and law-abiding person would see either as victim blaming here, yet your argument is very clear in saying that it would be in all cases. Whereas in both cases, the subsequent action is regrettable (and even criminal in the 2nd case - as with the case with Thabo, two wrongs don't make a right), the fact is that the "victim" in both cases made decisions and actions to that make him a criminal 1st before any subsequent actions and most would see the true victim as the one taken hostage (in the 1st case) or the toddler who somehow ended up in the hands of the pervert (in the 2nd). Regardless of how far you wish to stick your head in the sand and insist that Thabo was just an innocent bystander who was completely harmless, the truth is that, in all probability, he wasn't. Either a) he did the actions that got him arrested (which, regardless of how much you - and Thabo - want to insist this isn't what happened, is actually the most likely scenario) or b) he did something that didn't necessarily cross the line but he had still left himself in a situation where there was a higher likelihood that he wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt (i.e., hanging out in an area where the police were attempting to gather evidence for a possible recent felony had occurred) and anything that happened after the/se action/s is completely separate... and yes, the action/s and/or decision/s here are blatantly selfish and driven by nothing more than hedonism.

There is one point I've come to see while writing this that I'll just put here for a lack of a better place: a lot of your views is based permissiveness due to technicality as with the paragraph above. The problem with that is that, while you might get off legally, it doesn't absolve you from the consequences of your action/s and decision/s leading up to, in this case, the crime. In effect, you are actually defining morality what is legal and that is a slippery slope. Whereas I don't particularly care if the actions of Thabo or Pero are moral or not, I would find it worrisome that the rationale behind the decision would be based on whether they got off this crime or not. I know that you'd insist that this is wrong, but if you actually take it until the logically ends, this view would mean that you would actually have to legislate morality since you'd actually need a judge to call something wrong since you can always claim a technicality against a socially accepted set of mores and you always end up in two or more groups - the side/s that accept the technicality and the side/s that don't.

Before moving on, there are some more not-so-subtle thing to put out here. One, I made the point earlier that Coach Bud is management and that stands here. Members of management are not member of the NBPA, and hence, the terms of employment would not be covered under the CBA. This makes any analogy to Coach Bud and his arrest, while perhaps interesting, completely and utterly moot. 2nd, just because an entity has the right to do something does not necessarily mean that the entity is obligated to do it. For instance, we still had to inform the league last week that we were going to swap picks with BRK in this year's draft. A slam dunk decision to be sure, but we did have the right to decline to exercise the option. In fact, the entire reason for this debate stems from my question as to whether we should enact a fairly standard clause or not (albeit the corollary ? you raise as to whether it is applicable is valid - more later). 3rd, there are typically morality clauses in contracts but I don't see how that is on the table here. If Javaris Crittenton had been under contract when he pled guilty to murder, then I'm sure a team could have gotten out of his contract. Still, I don't see that as being on the table here - at least not anymore. (Although I would say that if the bar for enacting the clause is as low as this case, then that would be an exceptionally low bar. I'm not one that believes that an athlete has to be a role model and upstanding member of society, so I think the you'd have to prove yourself as a menace to society before I'd consider invoking this clause.)

Moving on, I think I made it *very* clear that, if such an action came to pass, the decision wouldn't and shouldn't be about whether one would feel the need to punish Thabo. The entire rationale for exercising the clause would strictly be to protect the Hawks interests in that we would be paying for services from an entity that would not be able to provide the services that we are paying for through no fault of our own. I really don't know why you are so obstinate in accepting this point, but it makes it very clear as to why you don't punish Pero for the same actions, since 1) no one with the Hawks is punishing Thabo for being arrested or being hit with a baton in the ankle and 2) Pero isn't injured in an action that the Hawks had no part in. Now, sure, I would think that this sequence of events would make me question Pero's decision making ability as well as his leadership which in turn could affect how much I'd offer - if anything - in FA, but in all honesty, if this is the 1st time these are called into question then I'd be more likely to question my ability to gather needed facts before making $M decisions. Egregious decision making such as these typically aren't a 1 time event and I'd want to see the pattern of bad decision-making before a rationale decision on my side could be made.

Whereas I agree that the NBPA would have a case (not necessarily one they would win, but a case nonetheless), the problem is that I think Thabo and even the NBPA heads would agree that a move in this direction would be clearly a "penny-wise/pound-foolish" move. Why injure a) Thabo's (and perhaps Pero's) ability to gain employment in the NBA down the road, b) Thabo's case against the NYPD, and c) the NBPA's public image when you can gain in all these areas - or at least not lose - doing something else? Again, remember that just because an entity can do something does not make them obligated to actually do it. We should also note that there would be no contractual precedence for the CBA if this isn't brought to arbitration so it's not like the NBPA would necessarily limit themselves when the next guy in a similar situation comes along. I guess the NBPA could bring the case against the Hawks (I've seen bigger entities do more injurious actions to themselves in instances where the case was weaker) but I would also call those actions incredibly, incredibly stupid since they do more harm than good not only to the NBPA but also to the person that the NBPA is supposed to protect. Maybe the NBPA really is that shortsighted, but I somehow doubt it.

The last couple of points within the debate are actually the most valid. With Radmanovich and Monta, we can see that, in both cases, the actions of the team was actually punitive. The teams were able to leverage the existence of the clause in order to ensure that the player wouldn't object to the punitive actions they felt would be in the team's better interest. In Monta's case, GSW suspended him for the length of the period he was out so they didn't have to pay him while he was out but still retained his contract once he was again healthy; with Radmanovic, they just decided to fine him what probably amounted to the time he would miss. In both cases, there was a reasonable expectation of full recovery though and I still haven't seen anything conclusive on Thabo's injury (I've seen speculation, but nothing medically concrete). I think it is now clear that a) this clause does exist in NBA contracts so it would be a reasonable assumption that it would exist in one from the Atlanta Hawks, and b) there is at least an implied consent that the clause is enforceable since neither player in the cases cited insisted on objecting to the punitive actions of the team. The problem here is that I don't think we should take any punitive action against Thabo; we should strictly be looking to protect our interest in the case where Thabo can't provide what he sold to the Hawks' brass. Hence, while I think the clause exists and has been used in the NBA as a hammer, it hasn't actually been exercised - at least not in these scenarios. With Thabo, the only thing I put on the table is whether we should consider is, if the damage is bad enough, whether to exercise the clause or not.

The second one to cover here: is there a time component to exercising the clause? I think there most definitely is, but I do think that we haven't passed it. I mean, sure, we can't allow Thabo to play for 82 games next season then all the sudden decide that "eh, he wasn't what we expected" and then attempt to exercise the clause. OTOH, I would think that us saying "we like Thabo and would prefer to keep him at the price we have negotiated pre-injury and might be willing to forego exercising this clause even if there is a slight degradation of performance due to the injury - hence, we want to do some due diligence before doing anything rash" is a perfectly valid and reasonable expectation IMO. Since we are paying him, there is no loss on Thabo's part and hence no tort. At the very least, there would need to be a loss, real or imagined, between the time of the injury and the eventual release (obviously, the release itself would be a loss so that would necessarily be excluded) before the action of due diligence becomes at issue. Personally, I'd think that waiting until player transaction can happen after the playoffs would mean that the time component has ended since it at least leaves room for the argument that we didn't release Thabo for the inability to perform due to injury, but instead, because we could have had discussions about player acquisition that we prefer to Thabo. Making a decision based on anything than Thabo and his ability to perform is obviously impermissible and a gross misuse of the clause so even if this might have been the case, then that would put us in a bind if we did attempt to exercise the clause.

Last, the system of using analogies as I have put on the table are typically of both law and philosophy. The conversation devolves rapidly from interesting to tiresome for when the rebuttals are basically a dismissal of a point without actual rationale - and even more off-putting to put analogies on me that you actually started and are still using. When you've put analogies on the table (e.g., Coach Bud's arrest), I attempted to illustrate why this isn't applicable (out of many valid reasons, I chose Management vs. Labor and have now extended this to say that the CBA would not cover the contract agreement because of this difference). To dismiss analogies and any deeper points without any rationale looks more like you're agreeing with the points of the analogy since you won't put out why you actually disagree with the analogy, it only stands to reason that the apparently sophomoric response to to the realization that your points don't stand up to scrutiny is to dismiss the points that you can't fit into your argument (the classic "don't let facts get in the way of a good argument" is similar to this attitude). Further, to tack into analogies situation that are simultaneously not always valid as well as easily refuted illustrates the "permissiveness by technicality" that I refer to earlier as well. For instance, even though you scream for the ice cream analogies has a sign that I didn't illustrate magically means the analogy isn't valid. But in fact, your tack on is easily dismissed in both analogies I've put forth - in the one, since it actually agrees with the larger point of the analogy; in the other, by simply allowing me to tack on that the situation where the person has given the money but hadn't accepted the ice cream yet and hence, the sale transaction has not been completed so can't final. If you wish to debate, then read the points and respond to them in at least a somewhat adult manner. Throwing names out and dismissing points with nothing more than what amounts to an "I say so and that's all anyone should care about" is only for those with simple minds and I have to believe that you're better than that.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#148 » by MaceCase » Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 pm

For the last time:

a) Getting arrested does not make you a criminal.

b) Getting convicted in a criminal court of law makes you a criminal. (excluding any appeals, etc.)

It's your belief that according to a) that b) is already confirmed. This is wrong. It's your belief that the justice system doesn't bother with any amount of corroborative evidence in which to support the initial arrest outside of the fact that the arrest happened. That is also wrong. It is your belief that the officers' reasoning for the arrest serves as enough evidence behind the charge and how did you put it? that a

"....crowd of people who were, you know, the type of crowd that would be frequenting a night club at 4 AM after a stabbing had occurred earlier that night (remember all that really matters here is the judge's PoV), then you could be sentenced to death if the crime was bad enough"

would have zero say in the matter?

I'm sorry, but that smacks of so much moralistic vitriol that you can see why I'm having trouble taking any of your points seriously. The entirety of your argument stems from your moral outlook of people who go out to clubs being intrinsically evil or whatnot and thus is invalidated in a discussion on the justice system. I mean, wow, sentenced to death? No display of a bias there especially when you add that Thabo only becomes innocent because of a "technicality" that he got hurt. Actually no, if he's guilty of a crime then it doesn't matter if he was beaten or raped or shanked, you do not get a "get out of jail free" card based on mistreatment. Of course, it never occurred to you that the judge could also rule that it wasn't reasonable to arrest a person 125 feet from a crime scene where both the assailant and weapon were already in custody and the victim already receiving medical attention, or, you know, any other legal basis. To have you put it, Thabo and Pero were both doing the nae nae right over Copeland's body minutes after the stabbing when police asked them politely to leave.

Again, when you take your moral bias away where you are attempting to place Thabo in the wrong by framing the events to whatever fits your narrative, you'll find that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The criminal justice system doesn't operate in an open and shut manner just because a police officer says so or biased judge for that matter. Even when convicting on a parking ticket an officer has to prove that he followed proper procedure in issuing that ticket to begin with. Your analogies fall flat because you are presenting them to situations where they are not applicable. There is no clear dichotomy between coaches and players in terms of contracts, or at least they do not fit under any umbrella that exists in most other fields of work. It is not a case of "labor vs. management", coaches when they are let go still get paid and players when they are let go still get paid. In either case it's not on the grounds of handing out a "golden parachute" but rather fulfilling the financial terms under the agreement that you both amicably agreed to. To violate those terms would require definitive legal basis but more so in terms of the players because there are many other considerations at play. To say otherwise is wrong.

Being out at night does not put you in moral violation of your contract. Getting arrested does not put you in moral violation of your contract. Getting injured while you were arrested does not put you in violation of your contract. What you don't recognize is that the moment Monta or that other Braves player purchased a motor vehicle or decided to get on one not directly sanctioned by the NBA, they were in violation of their contracts. The moment that Radmonovic booked that ski trip and picked out his skis, he was in violation of his contract. The fact that they got hurt only clinched it but again, those are situations that they willfully engaged in where there wasn't just a reasonable expectation of injury but an explicit demand as to avoid all chance of injury. How that is applicable here? I do not know unless you're someone who views NBA players engaging in social activities or rubbernecking for too long (allegedly) is comparable and that you can make a legitimate legal case from it.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#149 » by MaceCase » Wed May 20, 2015 8:36 am

Just to put this to bed so that we no longer have to suffer from any more tomes from each other a week in waiting, I'm just going to summarize my position on the matter and if you don't agree then you don't agree:

1) a) The circumstances leading up to the arrest are in question.
b) The actual charges for the arrest have also been brought into question.
2) There is no reasonable expectation for a suspect to sustain a severe injury during the process of being arrested for a non-violent misdemeanor crime.
3) The criminal justice system operates under the assumption that you are innocent until proven guilty.

Those are 3 areas that you have to address before you make definitive action on the status of Thabo's contract under the basis that he is at fault. If you wish to be entirely dismissive of them while building an entire hypothetical with that aspect as the foundation then so be it, that's your prerogative and you are entitled to it.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#150 » by azuresou1 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:33 pm

Holy walls of text, Batman.

There's no way in hell the Hawks can or will terminate Thabo's contract, because it'd be immoral, in opposition to their current stance, and legal suicide. The Monta Ellis analogy fails because riding mopeds is a high risk activity that is explicitly prohibited by teams, while clubbing at 4AM is not.

Plus you guys live in Atlanta so you presumably aren't as familiar with the NYPD. I grew up in NYC and the NYPD is, for the most part and at an organizational level, a police department that is rather prone to arbitrary violence.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#151 » by MaceCase » Thu May 21, 2015 12:25 am

azuresou1 wrote: I grew up in NYC and the NYPD is, for the most part and at an organizational level, a police department that is rather prone to arbitrary violence.

What? You're telling me that an organization that has handed out $428 million in civil rights lawsuit settlements in the past 5 years alone isn't wholly on the up and up?

Sarcasm aside, I've done my best to look at this case solely from the facts presented rather than any personal bias or general views on the NYPD. You could easily invoke the "suicide" as you say of the Hawks not even a year removed from Ferry's fiasco and the backlash it created voiding the contract of a player involved in police brutality during the same span that NBA players were donning "I can't breathe" and "hands up don't shoot" t-shirts during warmups. It certainly establishes a "look" for the organization and could be a similar stigma to the one that has surrounded Boston despite their obvious large amount of success.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
theatlfan
Analyst

Post#152 » by theatlfan » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Mace: If you want to move on, then please don't be so cantankerous in pushing your pigheaded views on anyone who says something different than you. Again, I have explicitly denied several of your points here and you aren't attempting to refute anything I say. just demanding that I'm saying what you want me to say doesn't make it true. There are more views to a situation then just 2 - even if that is apparently all that you can comprehend.

MaceCase wrote:For the last time:

a) Getting arrested does not make you a criminal.

b) Getting convicted in a criminal court of law makes you a criminal. (excluding any appeals, etc.)
Glad you decide to give your world view and continue to ram your "permissiveness by technicality" down my throat, but Mr. Webster and Mr. Merriam don't agree with you, nor does google. Only dictionary.com has the word "convicted" in the definition - and that's in 1 of 6 definitions. My experience is that term for someone who is convicted of a criminal offense is "convicted criminal".

As defined by those whose job it is to do such, a person is a criminal if he commits a criminal offense - regardless of any downstream events from the act. 83% of Americans think OJ killed Nicole Brown and he was actually tried and found not guilty. If someone stole something from me and I caught 'em red-handed, I don't need a court of law to tell me that the guy is a thief. This isn't a moral decision - it's a logical one with proof by definition. For the case here, once an officer viewed Thabo doing an action that said officer decided was a criminal act, then Thabo was, by definition, a criminal in the officer's eyes, and by extension, all the officers who would then deal with Thabo. (If you've ever heard many law enforcement credo "We arrest criminals" - this is what they mean.)
MaceCase wrote:It's your belief that according to a) that b) is already confirmed. This is wrong. It's your belief that the justice system doesn't bother with any amount of corroborative evidence in which to support the initial arrest outside of the fact that the arrest happened. That is also wrong. It is your belief that the officers' reasoning for the arrest serves as enough evidence behind the charge and how did you put it? that a

"....crowd of people who were, you know, the type of crowd that would be frequenting a night club at 4 AM after a stabbing had occurred earlier that night (remember all that really matters here is the judge's PoV), then you could be sentenced to death if the crime was bad enough"

would have zero say in the matter?
It's very pie in the sky to think you can make a case whereby you can call anyone to the stand that could possibly have something valid to say in the matter, but the reality is that no, these people, in all probability, wouldn't have a say in the matter. As I clearly point out, all that matters is the judge's PoV - not yours, not mine. The judge has to consider many points before he'll just allow anyone to testify, not the least of which being time management and the effect on downstream trials. No judge will open up a trial to allow literally 100's of witnesses onto the stand when the testimony would be from someone who, in all likelihood, would be easily discredited especially when that testimony would refute that of an unimpeachable source. The reality here is that, for the judge to allow the testimony, the onus would be on the defense to produce someone who can *prove* that s/he a) was at the club at 4 AM, b) was not impaired in any way, c) wasn't doing something that would distract from seeing and fully understanding the actions of all those involved, d) actually saw the events, and equally as important e) wouldn't be the type of person who'd want to testify because the case would be a high profile case since it involves a professional athlete and subsequent criminal actions by the police force. Is this possible? Most certainly, but it just isn't probable. I admit that it has been a while since I've been at a club come 4 AM, but when I did frequent these types of establishments, then this would be asking a whole lot for all this to line up in this fashion.

MaceCase wrote:I'm sorry, but that smacks of so much moralistic vitriol that you can see why I'm having trouble taking any of your points seriously. The entirety of your argument stems from your moral outlook of people who go out to clubs being intrinsically evil or whatnot and thus is invalidated in a discussion on the justice system. I mean, wow, sentenced to death? No display of a bias there especially when you add that Thabo only becomes innocent because of a "technicality" that he got hurt. Actually no, if he's guilty of a crime then it doesn't matter if he was beaten or raped or shanked, you do not get a "get out of jail free" card based on mistreatment. Of course, it never occurred to you that the judge could also rule that it wasn't reasonable to arrest a person 125 feet from a crime scene where both the assailant and weapon were already in custody and the victim already receiving medical attention, or, you know, any other legal basis. To have you put it, Thabo and Pero were both doing the nae nae right over Copeland's body minutes after the stabbing when police asked them politely to leave.
I've already explicitly denied your points here and I won't continue to enable your pigheadedness by putting more thought into these arguments when you take no steps to refute mine. My arguments with regards to Thabo and Pero (and everything else in regards to the events of the night in question and subsequent legal entangles) have been amoral and place no weight on social mores. The fact that you continue to bring your morals into the argument and demand that they are the only ones that should be the only ones that count is simultaneously childish and annoying. I don't care what your morals are nor do I care to establish what mine are, but I can tell you that what you continuously are putting unto me is far from the truth.

MaceCase wrote:Again, when you take your moral bias away where you are attempting to place Thabo in the wrong by framing the events to whatever fits your narrative, you'll find that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The criminal justice system doesn't operate in an open and shut manner just because a police officer says so or biased judge for that matter. Even when convicting on a parking ticket an officer has to prove that he followed proper procedure in issuing that ticket to begin with. Your analogies fall flat because you are presenting them to situations where they are not applicable. There is no clear dichotomy between coaches and players in terms of contracts, or at least they do not fit under any umbrella that exists in most other fields of work. It is not a case of "labor vs. management", coaches when they are let go still get paid and players when they are let go still get paid. In either case it's not on the grounds of handing out a "golden parachute" but rather fulfilling the financial terms under the agreement that you both amicably agreed to. To violate those terms would require definitive legal basis but more so in terms of the players because there are many other considerations at play. To say otherwise is wrong.
Again, I dismiss your insistence in putting your morals into the argument and onto me. The "permissiveness due to technicality" is the only moral point I have in here and you continue to prove that you don't care if someone is completely reprehensible - as long as he is surrounded by a good enough legal team, then s/he is as good a citizen as Mother Teresa. Maybe in some small subgroups of society would this fly, but put yourself in front of a law enforcement or a judge and demand the same and you'll be in for a rude awakening.

As far as the analogies, I guess if you won't - or can't? - understand the points behind the analogies enough to be able to understand them so forth refute them then I suggest leaving points of law to others. This is how law is determined in many cases, the law has to fit the whole which includes the extremes.

To the point of Coach Bud, you didn't answer the point about management's compensation not being controlled by the CBA. In terms of the business decision, all that matters is whether there is any harm to the business by maintaining the contract as is. There are two separate points here, the 1st being that there is no harm in continuing Coach Bud's contract. We could always fire him tomorrow and that wouldn't cause us any tangible harm in finding another coach - given infinite revenue, we can pay the departed Coach Bud and the new coach billions if we want and this would no effect in putting the best team we can possibly have on the floor. This isn't true with Thabo due to the CBA that defines the relationship between labor and management and our situation within this structure. Hence, yeah, this is clearly a management vs labor point.

Still, even if you insist on demanding that your morality has to be a part of this discussion and include points that I've clearly refuted, then there's an easy 2nd point to Coach Bud as well: what about Coach Bud's incident made it so that his ability to perform his duties was significantly and obviously impaired to the point where he could not fulfill his contract to that of what the organization was paying for? If there is nothing there (and to be clear, I don't see anything), then his situation parallels Pero's - not Thabo's.

MaceCase wrote:Being out at night does not put you in moral violation of your contract. Getting arrested does not put you in moral violation of your contract. Getting injured while you were arrested does not put you in violation of your contract. What you don't recognize is that the moment Monta or that other Braves player purchased a motor vehicle or decided to get on one not directly sanctioned by the NBA, they were in violation of their contracts. The moment that Radmonovic booked that ski trip and picked out his skis, he was in violation of his contract. The fact that they got hurt only clinched it but again, those are situations that they willfully engaged in where there wasn't just a reasonable expectation of injury but an explicit demand as to avoid all chance of injury. How that is applicable here? I do not know unless you're someone who views NBA players engaging in social activities or rubbernecking for too long (allegedly) is comparable and that you can make a legitimate legal case from it.
Again, childishly demanding your moral virtues does not affect an amoral argument. I've already specifically countered these points and don't see any need to do it again just because your world view can't separate what you want me to be saying versus what I actually am saying.

azuresou1 wrote:Holy walls of text, Batman.

There's no way in hell the Hawks can or will terminate Thabo's contract, because it'd be immoral, in opposition to their current stance, and legal suicide. The Monta Ellis analogy fails because riding mopeds is a high risk activity that is explicitly prohibited by teams, while clubbing at 4AM is not.

Plus you guys live in Atlanta so you presumably aren't as familiar with the NYPD. I grew up in NYC and the NYPD is, for the most part and at an organizational level, a police department that is rather prone to arbitrary violence.
I know there's a lot of stuff in here with a lot of minutiae so I don't expect anyone to read it all, but these point have been discussed and dropped (not to say there was only conclusion on them - I did figure that the points would get discussed more than the minutiae that we've found myself in).

1st, regardless of the situation, a business should not put one man ahead of the entire rest of the business. In this case, you're telling 14 other players to deal with your less-than-best effort to field the best team because you don't feel that their winning the title is as important as your being able to sleep at night. What if the $3M is the difference between retaining Demarre or not? Is the moral decision to burn the rest of the entire organization to back someone who can't play?

Still, if you're worried about Thabo, then we could always overpay him to do a job as an Asst Coach, in the FO and/or as a scout. That salary wouldn't be subject to the CBA so we could ensure that he's 100% indemnified without the rest of the team having to take a hit. I think this solution would fit your 2nd point about the current stance of the Hawks' brass too - we'd obviously be standing behind him even though he wouldn't be taking a roster spot.

Last, Thabo wasn't hurt because he was clubbing. He didn't slip on a dance floor or fall out of a chair or any other act that would be logically related to being in a club at any time of day or night. The direct line of events was that Thabo did an act that, in a law enforcement officer's mind at least, was a criminal act which led to his detention which led to his injury. I mean, if riding a moped is an impermissible activity, then I'd have to think a criminal act - any criminal act - would be as well. It would be foolhardy to believe that a criminal act has to be verified by a court of law, as we can see by recent cases in the NFL such as Greg Hardy and Ray Rice.

As I've repeated before, I think all parties would agree that the best case here is that Thabo makes a full recovery and there is absolutely no drop off in performance. Thabo continues to play out his contract; the Hawks don't have to make a very troubling decision. The only situation in question would be if he simply couldn't recover from this injury and even approximate what he once was. Lower leg injuries are tricky and sometimes you just don't bounce back from them. Hopefully, Thabo can.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#153 » by MaceCase » Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 pm

My my, take a week to formulate a response yet can't avoid name calling.

The only pertinent definition of a "criminal" is the legal one, something you rather omitted but I imagine that it is pie in the sky thinking to imagine that the law operates under separate definitions than Websters.

It is also pigheaded to not consider someone a "criminal" when the "crimes" of which they were arrested for are directly refuted by actual evidence. But I imagine that the evidence is only a "technicality" in your eyes and not at all to be really considered or parsed over when you decided to shoot off in your wholly well thought out and supported vendetta of waiving Thabo's contract. That last part was sarcasm, of course. Your examples and reasoning haven't been fitting with this case but I won't continue to enable your pigheadedness by further pointing these out.

You can make weak analogies to catching a guy "redhanded" making him a criminal yet the pertinent analogy of "I accused a guy of stealing when he perhaps didn't" somehow escapes you. It's not at all possible that (given that there are facts to at least cast this suspicion) the police officer himself isn't morally reprehensible. To your amoral self, immorality is only a position reserved for those with a good legal team to help skate on a crime but it is entirely improbable that those in positions of authority could ever fabricate an arrest and use nothing but their position in authority to justify it later.

Ah, well. Guess it's a small blessing that the season is over, it might have been awkward having to escort Thabo from the sidelines and inform him that he's getting waived.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#154 » by azuresou1 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Only responding to my segment because reading that much hurts my brain.

azuresou1 wrote:Holy walls of text, Batman.

I know there's a lot of stuff in here with a lot of minutiae so I don't expect anyone to read it all, but these point have been discussed and dropped (not to say there was only conclusion on them - I did figure that the points would get discussed more than the minutiae that we've found myself in).

1st, regardless of the situation, a business should not put one man ahead of the entire rest of the business. In this case, you're telling 14 other players to deal with your less-than-best effort to field the best team because you don't feel that their winning the title is as important as your being able to sleep at night. What if the $3M is the difference between retaining Demarre or not? Is the moral decision to burn the rest of the entire organization to back someone who can't play?

Still, if you're worried about Thabo, then we could always overpay him to do a job as an Asst Coach, in the FO and/or as a scout. That salary wouldn't be subject to the CBA so we could ensure that he's 100% indemnified without the rest of the team having to take a hit. I think this solution would fit your 2nd point about the current stance of the Hawks' brass too - we'd obviously be standing behind him even though he wouldn't be taking a roster spot.

Last, Thabo wasn't hurt because he was clubbing. He didn't slip on a dance floor or fall out of a chair or any other act that would be logically related to being in a club at any time of day or night. The direct line of events was that Thabo did an act that, in a law enforcement officer's mind at least, was a criminal act which led to his detention which led to his injury. I mean, if riding a moped is an impermissible activity, then I'd have to think a criminal act - any criminal act - would be as well. It would be foolhardy to believe that a criminal act has to be verified by a court of law, as we can see by recent cases in the NFL such as Greg Hardy and Ray Rice.

As I've repeated before, I think all parties would agree that the best case here is that Thabo makes a full recovery and there is absolutely no drop off in performance. Thabo continues to play out his contract; the Hawks don't have to make a very troubling decision. The only situation in question would be if he simply couldn't recover from this injury and even approximate what he once was. Lower leg injuries are tricky and sometimes you just don't bounce back from them. Hopefully, Thabo can.[/quote]

1st, the Hawks have no ground to terminate Thabo's contract. None. They're not "putting one man ahead of the entire rest of the business," they're going to act in a way that doesn't get them sued to hell and back again. NBA contracts are very clearly guaranteed outside of very specific clauses entailing unaccepted risks. Going to the nightclubs are not, to my knowledge, covered in those clauses.

2nd, if you "cut" Thabo and then overpay him as an assistant coach or in some other capacity, the NBA itself would (rightfully) have a field day with the Hawks for trying to evade cap ramifications. The Redskins tried similar **** in the NFL and got themselves fined a slew of draft picks. Different org, different league but the NBA is not going to let the Hawks blatantly avoid cap hits.

Finally, "in a law enforcement officer's mind" means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to what is legally considered a criminal act, and claiming that getting beaten by cops constitutes 'reckless endangerment' is really some mental gymnastics.

Furthermore, Greg Hardy and Ray Rice are bad examples to use because although they were suspended by their teams/the NFL, THEY STILL GOT PAID.

If I'm Thabo Sefolosha and the Hawks are trying to pull some **** on me by terminating my contract because I was brutalized by the NYPD, I'm very loudly and publicly taking the entire organization to court for as much as I can get. I'm thinking treble damages + court costs and attorney fees, and then whatever the court decides to award in punitive fees.

You think any ownership group wants that legal fight and bad publicity? Please.
azuresou1
Head Coach

Post#155 » by azuresou1 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:36 pm

I don't mean to be insulting by any means, but do you possibly have some vested interest in assuming that Thabo is at fault? Like family members who are cops?
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#156 » by MaceCase » Sat May 30, 2015 1:06 am

Fantasy scenarios aside, some actual news (or questions about the lack thereof) on the issue have been reported.

The NBA Finals may be determined by an act of police violence. This is an incendiary fact, yet a curious media silence surrounds the saga of injured Atlanta Hawks guard Thabo Sefolosha. The nine-year pro has been absent from the playoffs after a group of New York Police Department officers broke his leg in April following a late-night confrontation outside a Chelsea nightclub. The police accounts about what took place conflict dramatically, with video that emerged of a group of officers surrounding Sefolosha, with one brandishing a nightstick. Sefolosha, with assistance from the National Basketball Players Association, is planning a lawsuit against the City of New York. How this is not a continual firestorm is, frankly, bewildering. Given that there is a national movement confronting racialized police violence, and given that last winter saw the most prominent players in the NBA—LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, even Kobe Bryant—speaking out in solidarity with this movement, it seems like a story too magnetic to ignore. It’s also unprecedented.

I spoke to nine NBA journalists, editors, and television producers on and off the record about why this story has been objectively under-discussed. One might think they would say it’s because fans either don’t care about someone viewed as a role player or because it’s a polarizing topic and the audience will rebel if sports pundits get too political. But that’s not what I heard.....

.......Regarding Sefolosha, it’s fair to say that they were frustrated about the lack of resources, airtime, and enthusiasm devoted to what they saw as a monster story. They also said that they were rebuffed when they raised devoting regular time to it on ESPN’s flagship show SportsCenter. The only concrete reason one received was “people not being particularly interested in the Hawks compared to other teams in the playoffs.” They all conceded that there was little audience appetite for more Hawks coverage, but believed that the story was bigger than just the fortunes of one team.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/208009/nb ... ia-silence

Thabo has also personally opened up on the subject:

"I was injured in the hands of the police, and it took away a lot from my everyday life," Sefolosha said during an interview at his home. "From being able to help put the kids in bed, going up and down the stairs. We are talking about the stress that it has brought to the entire family, you know, my mom and dad in Switzerland, my brothers and sisters, my wife. Also, the damage to my reputation. I've had people texting me about what they saw in the newspaper and things like this. Every aspect of my life was affected by something like this, and I think putting light on the aftermath of something like this, I think that's also something that's important."

"That night we had quite a bit to celebrate," he said. "We had secured the first spot in the Eastern Conference. And I like New York. It's a city I enjoy. I have friends there. So me and one of my teammates decided to go out and have a good time in the city."....
...... "I think it's a fair question to ask, 'Why were you out at 4 in the morning?' I think I'm not a criminal for it. I've always been a professional guy when it comes to basketball, and I put it first. Of course, it's my priority. So even when I do go out, I always think about the repercussions of anything I do could have on my teammates, on the team and on the NBA as a whole because we're looked at as NBA players. "What one does often reflects on the others. So I try to conduct myself in a professional way. But at the same time I don't think it's a crime to be out, you know, even at 4 in the morning. It's something I can say I was OK doing due to the circumstances."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12975 ... reputation
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#157 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 1, 2015 9:57 pm

What are the odds?

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#158 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:26 pm

Jury selected yesterday. Trial started today - in progress:

Defense Opening:

What prosecutor told you isn't what happened. Even if it was what happened, that's not a crime.Story starts in Geneva, Switzerland, where Thabo been misunderstood forever - is he black, white, european, african?Not a hothead, 30 years unblemished record.Crime scene already established when D leaves - 30 feet east of the club, they walk west exiting the club.Shield 9996 (arresting officer) sees Thabo. "Sees a black man in a hoodie."Shield 9996 - "Get off my block, it's my f***ing block."Now they are 50 feet away, 60 feet, 80 feet, around the corner. 9996 still on him.Thabo has a car. Getting in car. NIght should be over.Perp has already been apprehended. Crime scene already secure. Victims already treated. They are not on same block. THey are around corner. Out of eye shot. >30 min. after the stabbing. 9996 still pursuing.Thabo doesn't back down. 9996 - "I'll mess you up." Thabo - "You couldn't, you're a midget. Without that badge and gun you're nothing."9996 has yelled at so many black men in hoodies, but never before have they stood up to him.Thabo leg shattered. He misses playoffs.Friend there, Pero Antić.You'll hear audio from bystanders, "Why are you doing this? You are hurting him?"You'll hear audio from Thabo. Not F you, not cursing. "Help." and "Relax."

Opening a little longer than prosecution, but also no more than 10 minutes. D promised a LOT in his opening. That's not super standard, and it makes me think D is confident in his case. All but promised that Thabo would testify. Mentioned audio and video. The fact that he went so hard on 9996 about "black men in hoodies" makes me think he's got some dirt on 9996, probably some CCRB investigations, etc.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#159 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:27 pm

Prosecution Opening:

"You have to leave the area. This is a crime scene."Defendant (shorthand is D) refused to clear the scene after being told upwards of 6 times.D lunged at an officer who was trying to clear.D resisted arrest.There was a crowd of over 100 people, 3 people were stabbed.D wouldn't leave the block.D is in NBA, "I can do what I want." Showed entitlement, disdain.So entitled, he insulted an officer doing his job - called him a midget.So entitled he ordered a private car for himself (aside: why would P put this in their opening?!) to leave scene.As police officers tried to get him in car D charged.2nd officer grabbed D "luckily" before he could touch Officer (aside: otherwise he'd be charged with felony assault!)D stiffened arms and refused to put his hands behind his back.Took third officer to bring D down. Officer had to sit on him to get hands behind his back.Case is about D inability to follow simple instructions.

Opening was no more than 10 minutes, they didn't reference any video or audio, so I assume they won't be using that in their case in chief. Looks like witnesses will only be police officers. So no civilian witnesses.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#160 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:30 pm

Prosecution First Witness - Shield 9996

Shield 9996 was the Arresting Officer (AO) in this case. The AO is a term of art that refers to the officer who is in charge of processing the paperwork after arrest. They are not necessarily the person who actually put cuffs on the defendant (in fact, often, for tactical reason at trial, etc, they are purposefully not that person). In this case AO is a 3 year police officer (aka relatively new). He is the person who first engaged Thabo and told him to leave the scene. Then continued to tell him to leave the scene. He is the officer who was referred to as a midget.

Direct Examination by Prosecution - I'll be honest, I missed this. I only had one case on today, and I figured I should go actually serve my clients. The real fireworks are during cross, so I skipped. (Prosecution direct examination usually so boring!)

Cross Examination by Defense -

"You testified you're allowed to move someone as far as you want to. You can move 'em to the hudson if you want to."During your CCRB investigation, you said he was 50 feet from "immediate" crime scene. Now you say 20?You said you asked him to move 4 times, or 5 times, or 6 times or 7 times. You said different amount every time. How many was it? "No matter how many times, why didn't he move after I asked him once?""You said he moved only 2 feet every time you asked him. How did he get all the way to 10th avenue?" "I asked him and other officers asked him and then he moved." "So it was 2 feet, 2 feet, 2 feet, then 75 feet?" "Correct."Officer never reviewed video. Never saw video of him walking by white people and approaching Sefolosha.Thabo not intoxicated. He said "Ok, Ok no problem." Third time: "I'm not doing something wrong. I'm just standing here. If i was a midget, I'd be mad too.""I was not raising my voice, just projecting my voice. Being authoritative."A car arrivesI didn't know why Thabo was being arrested, i just saw him engaged with other officers."immediate" crime scene is around the corner. Perpetrator is in handcuffs. It is out of sight. You can't hear or see anything that is happening where the stabbing had occurred.Denies being a "rookie" officer, but graduated academy in 2013.Paperwork indicates incident happened in front of 1Oak club. Officer sticks to his paperwork, but concedes that the incident with Thabo started 50 feet west of the stabbing. And continued further away. "That is still in front of 1oak"CCRB inquiry - officer saw Sefolosha walk into car, and then get back out again.I saw officer sullivan push him, I didn't know why at this point.No idea what broke Thabo's leg.He was walking fine. Advised him not to go to hospital, because that would slow how long it would take him to be released from police custody. D refused ambulance.There were 150-200 people. Noone else arrested. There were several people (>5) that were closer to the stabbing than Thabo.Defense introduces video (we can't see it, because facing the jury)"Who did you approach first." "Defendant."

Is that the defendant? Yes. That's him walking away from scene? Yes. West? Yes. Away from the stabbing? Yes. That's the correct way to go? Yes. The lawful way? Yes. He's not angry? Yes. He's not disorderly? Yes. He doesn't appear to be commiting a crime? Yes

Were you polite to Defendant? Did you say, "With our without a badge I would *beep* you up?" Officer denies.

Ofc denies seeing baton coming out.

Ofc heard people screaming. Heard people saying, "He did nothing wrong, get off of him"

Ofc does not hear "excuse me sire, put your hands behind your back."

The other officers were not wrong to bring out the baton.

"I told him to clear the block... to go to 10th ave." And he did go to 10th? Correct.

Return to Atlanta Hawks