Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: THABO AND PERO arrested for obstruction of justice 

Post#161 » by PandaKidd » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:38 pm

THABO FOUND NOT GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS.

Clears way for his civil suit

NBA player Thabo Sefolosha, who was arrested outside a New York City nightclub in April following a confrontation with police officer, has a character “of the highest order,” his head coach, Mike Budenholzer, testified Thursday. Taking the stand as the final defense witness in Sefolosha’s trial, Budenholzer described the Atlanta Hawks guard-forward as “highly intelligent” and a “hard worker.”
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#162 » by MaceCase » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:54 pm

Guess the team should get working on voiding that contract now.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#163 » by PandaKidd » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:59 pm

The interesting thing is if "His game suffers due to the injuries hes sustained, he has a massive law suit on his hands".

Thabo might make more money if he plays terrible than good HAHA
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#164 » by MaceCase » Fri Oct 9, 2015 4:44 pm

The whole trial was a farce, everyone not stuck in their grandpa morals knew that the NYPD was wrong all the way and didn't have a chance in hell of getting a conviction. Pero's case was dismissed and the DA offered Thabo two deals including a dismissal which he refused in favor of a trial specifically, or I should say most likely, to set up a civil case against the NYPD.

Given, that he could have been done with this already yet asked for a trial almost to stick it to the NYPD I'd be surprised if he doesn't follow through and go for monetary damages.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#165 » by Rip2137 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 6:39 pm

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they didn't just drop the charges. That was EMBARASSING for them. Reading some of the transcripts. one of the officers basically gives an account all the way up to when the video starts and in so many words "I walked pass all the other people to tell this one guy to go to the other block. He then went to the other block but talked back to me so...yeah".

Wow. That was pretty horrible.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#166 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 9, 2015 7:25 pm

Rip2137 wrote:I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they didn't just drop the charges. That was EMBARASSING for them. Reading some of the transcripts. one of the officers basically gives an account all the way up to when the video starts and in so many words "I walked pass all the other people to tell this one guy to go to the other block. He then went to the other block but talked back to me so...yeah".

Wow. That was pretty horrible.

Because they broke his leg in the fracas. Dropping the case would essentially be the city (and NYPD) admitting they used Excessive Force and arrested him unnecessarily.

They hoped for a plea. They didn't get Thabo to bite. So now they'll continue under the pretense that he was justifiably arrested (as opposed to unfairly targeted) and use that as a defense in the inevitable civil suit to follow.

At the end of the day, the NYPD will pay a minor amount out of the fund they keep specifically for these excessive force cases. The officers responsible will get a slap on the wrist.

And the only individuals who really suffer anything from this will be Thabo, the team, and Hawks fans. :nonono:
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#167 » by azuresou1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Obvious outcome was obvious
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#168 » by nybluemeadow » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 am

Their are good cops and bad cops. I don't like it when people use "their are alot of good cop" defense as an excuse to do nothing. Things need to change, and if their are really alot of good cops, then they need to report or kick the butt of those bad cops and stop staying silent, just because they are afraid of the cop brotherhood.

I hope that Thabo sues the NYPD. Not only because its the right thing to do, but also because he is a pro athlete and makes millions of dollars from his legs, and its not right that some one is able to take that away from him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#169 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:56 pm

If it's one thing the NYPD don't like...it's to be embarrassed:

An investigation by the Civilian Complaint Review Board, an independent governmental agency in New York that evaluates police conduct, has regained momentum after the acquittal of Atlanta Hawks forward Thabo Sefolosha, sources close to the case said on Friday.

With the acquittal of Sefolosha, the CCRB will now have have access to a broader range of witness testimony.

If the investigation by the CCRB found officers at fault and the allegations are substantiated, the board would recommend to the police commissioner specific disciplinary action. According to sources familiar with the process, it is unusual for the commissioner not to follow the recommendation of the CCRB.
HERE
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#170 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Hawkeyes wrote:Why are they rolling up to the club at 4 in the morning? Smh

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think it is a bullshht charge by who ever cop that did it, but i'm more like "why were they at the club in the middle of a back to back?"

I read this quote by JR Smith of all people...and I'm reminded of our boys going out at 3AM and two guys getting arrested while one of them gets his leg broken while at the scene of a stabbing.

But it is a team that he's built. Every guy around LeBron knows he is lucky to be here, anointed.

You would never go out and party on this team,” J.R. says in the midst of telling me how much he loves Cleveland, what an underestimated city it is. “Once you're on a team like this, you're just so locked in. When you see someone like LeBron in the gym around the clock? Usually it's the guys who want to get better so they can get more playing time who are always in the gym. But if you've got four MVPs, two championships, two Finals MVPs…”

Is there a sense of expectation from him?

Oh, for sure. If you're here for any other reason than to get better and help us win, then you're here for the wrong reason. And he'll tell anybody that — he doesn't care. You could be mad at him or whatever. If you're not here to win? Time for you to go.

Like I get they were grown men, able to make their own decisions....I just wish they'd been more focused on the tasks ahead of them.
I wish Thabo had exercised better judgment.... :nonono:

That he'd been so locked in that going clubbing...on the road...in the middle of back-to-back games just isn't even an option. Even JR Smith gets it at this point.

If you're aiming for an NBA title, there's no time for distractions.

But I digress...glad he's back and healthy.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#171 » by MaceCase » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:19 am

JR must just be mad that he wasn't invited out to hang with LeBron just 10 days ago viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1416892#start_here
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#172 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Hawkeyes wrote:Why are they rolling up to the club at 4 in the morning? Smh

atlantabbq99 wrote:I think it is a bullshht charge by who ever cop that did it, but i'm more like "why were they at the club in the middle of a back to back?"

I read this quote by JR Smith of all people...and I'm reminded of our boys going out at 3AM and two guys getting arrested while one of them gets his leg broken while at the scene of a stabbing.

But it is a team that he's built. Every guy around LeBron knows he is lucky to be here, anointed.

You would never go out and party on this team,” J.R. says in the midst of telling me how much he loves Cleveland, what an underestimated city it is. “Once you're on a team like this, you're just so locked in. When you see someone like LeBron in the gym around the clock? Usually it's the guys who want to get better so they can get more playing time who are always in the gym. But if you've got four MVPs, two championships, two Finals MVPs…”

Is there a sense of expectation from him?

Oh, for sure. If you're here for any other reason than to get better and help us win, then you're here for the wrong reason. And he'll tell anybody that — he doesn't care. You could be mad at him or whatever. If you're not here to win? Time for you to go.

Like I get they were grown men, able to make their own decisions....I just wish they'd been more focused on the tasks ahead of them.
I wish Thabo had exercised better judgment.... :nonono:

That he'd been so locked in that going clubbing...on the road...in the middle of back-to-back games just isn't even an option. Even JR Smith gets it at this point.

If you're aiming for an NBA title, there's no time for distractions.

But I digress...glad he's back and healthy.

I think he means there is no partying in Cleveland because there isn't much to do...but head to South Beach, sure: See MaceCase's post and link above.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#173 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 pm

jayu70 wrote:I think he means there is no partying in Cleveland because there isn't much to do...but head to South Beach, sure: See MaceCase's post and link above.

The article I linked to specifies that he meant, as a role player on a championship caliber team, he and others are held to a high standard by LeBron to avoid the same traps and distractions that JR may have participated in earlier in his career. (Fistfights, Twitter wars, high profile liaisons with rappers girlfriends.)

But LeBron's dalliance in Miami clearly undermines, contradicts, counteracts that point.

I do wish we had a leader in the locker room that young/reckless guys feared, though.

Three Hawks arrested in 6 months is embarrassing.

MJ, back in the day, would have knocked a couple of guys out for that nonsense.

AL and Paul seem like they'd just give the guy a pep talk and leave it to Bud to sort out...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#174 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 6, 2016 5:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:So now they'll continue under the pretense that he was justifiably arrested (as opposed to unfairly targeted) and use that as a defense in the inevitable civil suit to follow.

nybluemeadow wrote:I hope that Thabo sues the NYPD.

Looks like it's official:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#175 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Apr 7, 2016 5:53 am

I turned out to be right about everything.

Usually i don't like frivolous lawsuits and the victim should just let any faulty arrest slide and not drag it out. but in this case Thabo got his Fking leg broken!!! I hope that Thabo ends up getting millions and this will change some attitudes for alot of the bad cops on the force.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#176 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:39 am

Chris Vivlamore ✔ @CVivlamoreAJC
Story: Thabo Sefolosha settles civil lawsuit with NYC police.
http://www.myajc.com/sports/basketball/sefolosha-settles-civil-lawsuit-with-new-york-city-police/UZ4prscIznR689dlE2uOhP/
jayu70
RealGM

Post#177 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Pero not so lucky:

Ex-ATL Hawks player Pero Antic just took an "L" in his legal war with the NYPD -- after a judge decided the cop who pushed him during a 2015 incident didn't use excessive force.
Antic and then-teammate Thabo Sefolosha both sued the NYPD claiming cops got unnecessarily violent with them on the street ... after another NBA player got stabbed in a separate incident.
Officials initially said Antic grabbed an officer on the shoulder while the cop was trying to arrest Thabo. Antic claims the cop pushed him to the ground.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/27/pero-antic-nypd-lawsuit/
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#178 » by macd-gm » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Can we just start referring to our glory year(s) as the Pero Antic teams? Once he left things went down hill.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#179 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm

macd-gm wrote:Can we just start referring to our glory year(s) as the Pero Antic teams? Once he left things went down hill.

Sure, why not :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#180 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:27 pm

duplicate

Return to Atlanta Hawks