Can we all agree that the Dennis Schr

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#1 » by Goudelock » Sat May 16, 2015 8:27 pm

Seriously, there are people on the GB who want DS to start over Teague. One guy has said that Dennis is the Hawk's best player.
To me, he's been ok in the playoffs, but not great. There are times when he over-dribbles and throws stupid passes/takes really bad shots. He may be better than Teague in a few years, but not right now.

And completely off-topic, but those announcers during the Wizards series were so Pro-Washington that it was embarrassing. Bob and Dominique are less biased than those ESPN/TNT clowns.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
ddsdevil
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Can we all agree that the Dennis Schr 

Post#2 » by ddsdevil » Sun May 17, 2015 12:02 am

Dennis certainly isn't better than Teague, but he has a much higher ceiling. If we were trading one of them in the post season, I'd rather trade Teague. (of course, he'd bring back a better return too.)

That said, Dennis still has a lot to work on. He needs to be more consistent as a perimter shooter and his failure to finish at the rim is frustrating. But he's a second year player so he's coming along just fine.

But yeah, Teague is an NBA all star for a reason. We go as far as he takes us this season.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#3 » by Rip2137 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:59 pm

I don't dennis is ever going to be as good a playmaker as Teague, but he could march his point production at some point.i think his and Teagues ceiling are about the same with Jeff simply being a better decision maker.
BadNFluenz
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#4 » by BadNFluenz » Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 am

yes i definitely agree. you shouldn't be concerned too much about the GB, though.

most of the opinions there are based on highlights. i remember lot of ppl admitting they we'rent watching the hawks at all not to long ago.
__
R.I.P. 4-1-So Sick Ass Rell
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#5 » by PandaKidd » Tue May 19, 2015 1:24 am

ANyone who watches the Hawks knows that both PGs have their demons. When Jeff plays aggressive hes CLEARLY the better PG. He has elite athleticism, better decision making and a lethal floater (at times).

DS , hes a better PnR player (his entry passes are much better IMO than Teague) and he has the shifty , look slow but is actually quick footwork. I think he has a higher ceiling, but not sure if he will ever reach it because what makes him have huge upside is also his undoing (poor decision and shot selection at CRITICAL in game moments).

But no, Teague is the better starter. Not even close.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#6 » by chrismikayla » Tue May 19, 2015 10:50 am

PandaKidd wrote:ANyone who watches the Hawks knows that both PGs have their demons. When Jeff plays aggressive hes CLEARLY the better PG. He has elite athleticism, better decision making and a lethal floater (at times).

DS , hes a better PnR player (his entry passes are much better IMO than Teague) and he has the shifty , look slow but is actually quick footwork. I think he has a higher ceiling, but not sure if he will ever reach it because what makes him have huge upside is also his undoing (poor decision and shot selection at CRITICAL in game moments).

I wish Teague had Dennis's aggression and cockiness. Sometimes it's like Teague is unsure of himself.
[gfycat][/gfycat]
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Tue May 19, 2015 2:32 pm

chrismikayla wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:ANyone who watches the Hawks knows that both PGs have their demons. When Jeff plays aggressive hes CLEARLY the better PG. He has elite athleticism, better decision making and a lethal floater (at times).

I wish Teague had Dennis's aggression and cockiness. Sometimes it's like Teague is unsure of himself.

I blame Larry Drew for that. Dude absolutely tore into Teague whenever he could, because Jeff was a very young player, and because he didn't have the Balls to say anything to older vets like Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#8 » by Rip2137 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm

I think what people are calling unsure in Teague is him making the right, safe play instead of the homerun(which Dennis does). When Teague passes in the p&r, its generally the right option(might not even be the first option) and the catch is in rhythm. With Dennis he is GOING to try the pocket pass, there or not. When it works, its pretty so people say he is the better playmaker. But they ignore all the time its kicked because the lane wasn't there, or the ball hits a big in the shin because the right angle wasn't there to get the pass where it needs to be, or the catch is low leading to the big getting stripped (and attributes with a turnover that really belongs to Dennis).

Teague's "problem" is he takes what the defense gives him instead of taking what he wants. This leads to a better playmaker but when we need him more offensive scoring it hurts. Dennis takes what he wants and very seldom takes what the d gives him. This can lead to impressive stretches but also can kill momentum with bad shots and turnovers.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#9 » by theatlfan » Tue May 19, 2015 8:18 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I blame Larry Drew for that. Dude absolutely tore into Teague whenever he could, because Jeff was a very young player, and because he didn't have the Balls to say anything to older vets like Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

Interesting. Not saying I disagree, but is there anything that you saw here outside of a decent hunch? Also, do you think this went back to the relationship between Drew and Teague when Drew was an AC under Woodson?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#10 » by ATL Boy » Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 pm

theatlfan wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:I blame Larry Drew for that. Dude absolutely tore into Teague whenever he could, because Jeff was a very young player, and because he didn't have the Balls to say anything to older vets like Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.

Interesting. Not saying I disagree, but is there anything that you saw here outside of a decent hunch? Also, do you think this went back to the relationship between Drew and Teague when Drew was an AC under Woodson?

I remember Teague getting benched for games on end for his mistakes, to the point where he was even afraid to take open shots. It was never explicitly stated, and through it all Teague and Drew probably still have a good relationship (Jeff signed Milwaukee's offer sheet during his RFA year). But I'm positive that Drew's criticism still affects Teague to this day, especially considering the fact that Drew was with him for all of his developmental years.

Btw, good to see you doing better, and back posting.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks