ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks 2015 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Phunkabilly
Sophomore
And1: 17

Re: Atlanta Hawks 2015 Off-Season Thread 

Post#741 » by Phunkabilly » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for the link Panda. Great article!
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#742 » by PandaKidd » Tue Jul 7, 2015 7:14 pm

Free agent forward Wesley Johnson will commit to a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell RealGM. Terms being discussed.
lionsheart404
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#743 » by lionsheart404 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 7:37 pm

Good.... just reinforces my thinking that our starting SF will come via trade or they're already on the roster.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#744 » by PandaKidd » Tue Jul 7, 2015 9:14 pm

Free agent Alan Anderson has agreed to a one-year, $4M deal with Washington, league source tells Yahoo Sports.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#745 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:47 pm

Too bad Alan Anderson is going to the Wizards, but it looks like Coach Budz was never interested in Alan and didn't think he would fit into his system.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#746 » by PandaKidd » Wed Jul 8, 2015 4:45 am

Anyone think we will regret letting him go?

https://youtu.be/xxhRiwu8J1c
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: 

Post#747 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:23 pm

PandaKidd wrote:Anyone think we will regret letting him go?

Yes. I think he's shown enough that he could develop into a Belinelli-type player.

Unfortunately I also think he wants and needs a fresh start somewhere else where he can just come off the bench guns blazing. I think he's probably feeling a short leash right now in Atlanta.
New_Hawks_Era
Junior
And1: 233

Post#748 » by New_Hawks_Era » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:15 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Too bad Alan Anderson is going to the Wizards, but it looks like Coach Budz was never interested in Alan and didn't think he would fit into his system.

Or just simply not interested, period.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Re: 

Post#749 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:20 pm

azuresou1 wrote:

Yes. I think he's shown enough that he could develop into a Belinelli-type player.

Unfortunately I also think he wants and needs a fresh start somewhere else where he can just come off the bench guns blazing. I think he's probably feeling a short leash right now in Atlanta.

Ditto to all of this.

The kid obviously has talent, somehow he just never meshed with Bud.

I'm also disappointed we were short sighted enough to decline his 4th year option and let him walk away for nothing. Clearly, he has piqued the interest of a few teams for his offensive abilities.

Perfect example: I'd have felt much more comfortable trading JJ2 and a 2nd rounder for THJ, than what we actually gave up.

Either way, JJ2 will definitely be a name to watch moving forward.

As well as Wes & Bud's asset management skills.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#750 » by Goudelock » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:

Ditto to all of this.

The kid obviously has talent, somehow he just never meshed with Bud.

I'm also disappointed we were short sighted enough to decline his 4th year option and let him walk away for nothing. Clearly, he has piqued the interest of a few teams for his offensive abilities.

Perfect example: I'd have felt much more comfortable trading JJ2 and a 2nd rounder for THJ, than what we actually gave up.

Either way, JJ2 will definitely be a name to watch moving forward.

As well as Wes & Bud's asset management skills.

Wouldn't it be something if the Spurs pick him up, and he turns into a very good backup SG who shoots 40% from 3 and scores 8-10 points off the bench in 20 minutes a game?
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#751 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:13 pm

PockyCandy wrote:Wouldn't it be something if the Spurs pick him up, and he turns into a very good backup SG who shoots 40% from 3 and scores 8-10 points off the bench in 20 minutes a game?

I'd
Be
FURIOUS!!!

And not at all surprised...
lionsheart404
Ballboy

Post#752 » by lionsheart404 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:16 pm

It wouldn't matter because Hardaway is there to do what JJ couldn't. He has more size, position versatility, and scoring ability. That's neither here nor there though.... hopefully he lands somewhere and turn his career around.
lionsheart404
Ballboy

Post#753 » by lionsheart404 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:40 pm

Justin Holiday to the Hawks. Good low key move. Typical un-tapped potential player that Bud and the staff will develop. Hope he thrives
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#754 » by Hawk Eye » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:10 am

Never saw a lot of Holiday from last season but from what I'm hearing it gets the RealGM approval as a good signing. Anyone know the exact numbers yet?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#755 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:30 am

PMOTT3 wrote:Never saw a lot of Holiday from last season but from what I'm hearing it gets the RealGM approval as a good signing. Anyone know the exact numbers yet?

I have no issue with Wes & Bud seeking underrated gems out to develop, but at some point we actually have to increase the overall talent level on the team.

SAS has a long history of turning undrafted players and underused vets into key cogs on championship contenders. But they have Hall of Fame talent stretched across the roster.

Justin Holiday and Tim Hardaway, Jr might indeed turn into hidden gems. But does anyone believe they get us closer to beating San Antonio, Golden State or Cleveland? Each of which are stacked with (REAL) All Stars and Hall of Famers.

We have a great young coach. At some point, though, we have to acquire great players also.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#756 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:38 am

I always felt the team lacked talent last year. That proved true in the playoffs.

I think they lack talent still. In a lot of ways they are weaker IMO sacrificing SF depth for bigger front line. Now I ADVOCATED getting a real center and we did, but we also sacrificed a lot of depth at a different position.

Having said that. Bud seems to believe in smaller players , he uses them at almost every position. Maybe he believes bazemore/THj can rotate in at SF, I don't see it but maybe he does.

I think it's obvious cle is the #1 team, Chicago has been quiet. The team will regress from this past season because I don't expect 60 wins, but I have serious questions about the direction of the team. It'll be interesting to see how this years system compares to last year's
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#757 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 4:53 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFkWhxtk5Y[/youtube]

Holiday is a shooter but not much of a slasher. He is really skinny, but he has enough length to play SF at 8'9 standing reach.

This is typical Budz signing, getting an underrated guy for cheap, that none of us are talking about on this board. But with that said, i think he will be a 12th man on the team.

Good thing about Holiday is that he played with the Warriors for one year and I think the Spurs, Hawks, and Warriors all play a similar system, so Holiday might have an easier and faster transition or learning curve than Hardaway.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#758 » by td00 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 12:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:Never saw a lot of Holiday from last season but from what I'm hearing it gets the RealGM approval as a good signing. Anyone know the exact numbers yet?

I have no issue with Wes & Bud seeking underrated gems out to develop, but at some point we actually have to increase the overall talent level on the team.

SAS has a long history of turning undrafted players and underused vets into key cogs on championship contenders. But they have Hall of Fame talent stretched across the roster.

Justin Holiday and Tim Hardaway, Jr might indeed turn into hidden gems. But does anyone believe they get us closer to beating San Antonio, Golden State or Cleveland? Each of which are stacked with (REAL) All Stars and Hall of Famers.

We have a great young coach. At some point, though, we have to acquire great players also.

Speaking of SAS, I like their entire offseason this year. They've brought in West (who I thought would fit better here than Tiago), and a favorite of mine, McCallum. I know we have enough playmakers, and it looks like SAS is going to continue to be 3 deep at that slot.
Saying that, I don't see DS or JT being moved.

Holliday is last year's Baze; I like his potential, but think he's a bit thin to work mainly at the 3. So far, it doesn't appear we're going to have a defender extraordinaire this year outside of Thabo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#759 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:26 pm

td00 wrote:Speaking of SAS, I like their entire offseason this year. They've brought in West (who I thought would fit better here than Tiago), and a favorite of mine, McCallum. I know we have enough playmakers, and it looks like SAS is going to continue to be 3 deep at that slot.
Saying that, I don't see DS or JT being moved.

Holliday is last year's Baze; I like his potential, but think he's a bit thin to work mainly at the 3. So far, it doesn't appear we're going to have a defender extraordinaire this year outside of Thabo.

Agreed on Spurs' offseason.

West would have been my ideal replacement for Millsap. McCallum piqued my interest a couple years back before falling into the abyss that is SAC. I'm surprised they didn't get more in trade for Tiago (i.e. a future 1st rounder), but they managed to seal the deal and bring in Aldridge which was the whole point of the trade.

They've been flawless this summer. They went to 2 straight Finals and basically won them both. And still went aggressive at improving their aging squad this year.

Also, I loved their 1st round selection for the 3rd straight year. Something I hope we start emulating moving forward.

Hawks did well to win in the regular season. Now we have to start winning the post season and off-seasons, also.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#760 » by PandaKidd » Thu Jul 9, 2015 1:40 pm

Gerald Green's 1-year deal with Miami is for the minimum, source says. Green had been a target of Dallas before DeAndre Jordan backed out.

Return to Atlanta Hawks