Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Horford won 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:03 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Hey, if Danny Ferry goes through with deal, there's a good chance Giannis Antetokoumpo would be an Atlanta Hawk today.

That'd be a wonderful piece to trade or build around.

How do you figure that? You have no idea what our record would be if we had traded Josh for the Bucks garbage at the trade deadline and where we would be picking in the lottery.
If DF had fired LD as soon as the season concluded instead of taking him on his scouting trips, we could have had Giannis.
LD went to the Bucks and stole Giannis from DF - that I fault DF for.
[/quote]

The rumored trade of Josh Smith to MIL had us receiving their lottery protected first round pick in 2013 as well as the garbage players. Had we gone through with that trade...we end up with three draft picks in the teens of that weak 2013 draft.

Bigger picture...I don't want us to lose AL. I'd like to see him retire as a Hawk in about 8 years with a couple of rings on his fingers.

But if we struggle, if he tells us he's leaving, if we know this is inevitable...getting a top scorer in the NBA at a position of need is not the worst alternative. (In my book.)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#82 » by jayu70 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:[quote="Jamaaliver]Hey, if Danny Ferry goes through with deal, there's a good chance Giannis Antetokoumpo would be an Atlanta Hawk today.

That'd be a wonderful piece to trade or build around.[/quote]
How do you figure that? You have no idea what our record would be if we had traded Josh for the Bucks garbage at the trade deadline and where we would be picking in the lottery.
If DF had fired LD as soon as the season concluded instead of taking him on his scouting trips, we could have had Giannis.
LD went to the Bucks and stole Giannis from DF - that I fault DF for.[/quote][/quote]

The rumored trade of Josh Smith to MIL had us receiving their lottery protected first round pick in 2013 as well as the garbage players. Had we gone through with that trade...we end up with three draft picks in the teens of that weak 2013 draft.

Bigger picture...I don't want us to lose AL. I'd like to see him retire as a Hawk in about 8 years with a couple of rings on his fingers.

But if we struggle, if he tells us he's leaving, if we know this is inevitable...getting a top scorer in the NBA at a position of need is not the worst alternative. (In my book.)[/quote][/quote][/quote]

No capspace to sign Millsap either with that trade.
Somehow I don't see the Hawks winning 60 games and making it to the ECFs this past season with Udoh, Buhte, Udrih and another late teen pick.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:No capspace to sign Millsap either with that trade.
Somehow I don't see the Hawks winning 60 games and making it to the ECFs this past season with Udoh, Buhte, Udrih and another late teen pick.

Very True. These are all valid points.

But imagine if we come out of that 2013 draft with Dennis Schroeder, Rudy Gobert and Giannis Antetokounmpo. We'd be set for the next decade with a great core of young international players at positions of need. We may not win 60 games LAST season. But we'd have the personnel moving forward to dominate the EC with the next generation of young NBA stars.

But again...all hypotheticals using hindsight.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:06 pm

PandaKidd wrote:I bet if you tested the trade market on AH right now, its EXTREMELY soft. You'll get back a bunch of 2nd rounders and future worthless picks we will screw up anyway :P

And the rumor mill is already grinding:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I can't think of anything of value BOS has that we want. I seriously doubt Bud and Wes would even consider sending him in the conference to a team with no attractive assets.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Soaring Down South's take on this little bit of AL related chatter...

Once he hits free agency anything can happen. I’m not saying Horford won’t jet off to a different city next offseason, but rest easy. He’s not being traded.
Here

A fair and accurate assessment.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#86 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Aahhh, good ole twitter and there rumors, smh
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#87 » by simon24 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:I bet if you tested the trade market on AH right now, its EXTREMELY soft. You'll get back a bunch of 2nd rounders and future worthless picks we will screw up anyway :P

And the rumor mill is already grinding:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SoaringDwnSouth/status/643475662687371264[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hawks_Rumors/status/643493556338982912[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PerSources14/status/642840920698843136[/tweet]

I can't think of anything of value BOS has that we want. I seriously doubt Bud and Wes would even consider sending him in the conference to a team with no attractive assets.

Yeah I wouldn't trade Al unless I was getting Marc Gasol in return.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#88 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Just an update:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#89 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 am

New representation was expected since Arm Tellam joined the Pistons front office
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:04 pm

No idea what this means...probably nothing.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#91 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:No idea what this means...probably nothing.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/677872764678639616[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/677885648519495680[/tweet]

His original agent IIRC at Wasserman Arm Tellam left to join the Pistons front office who was with Wasserman, so he went to BDA and Bill Duffy, now it seems he want's back with Wasserman.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#92 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:12 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:No idea what this means...probably nothing.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IAmDPick/status/677872764678639616[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CVivlamoreAJC/status/677885648519495680[/tweet]

His original agent IIRC at Wasserman Arm Tellam left to join the Pistons front office who was with Wasserman, so he went to BDA and Bill Duffy, now it seems he want's back with Wasserman.

Roger That.

I wonder if he left Bill Duffy's group so quickly because BDA had the nerve to imply he might not be a Max Contract caliber of player. :lol:

Man, next summer is gonna get ugly. I want AL here forever, but $25 million is too much for a guy who doesn't lead the team in points, rebounds or assists.

I hope this agent change isn't a reaction to some of the chatter mentioning Horford in trade talks.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#93 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Chatter over on the Pistons board is that Horford's relationship with Arn Tellem, ties to Michigan and fit on their roster could make DET a potential suitor for AL's services moving forward.

...enough common sense has been presented in this thread in regards to fit, Horford getting to finally play PF, the Pistons' potential high ceiling and Atlanta's limited ceiling as to why Horford could give Detroit a look. The Arn Tellem link is just a conversation starter and nothing that should be focused on, having already been presented with the aforementioned details.

MI also doesn't have a state income tax, if I remember correctly.

Thoughts on DET jacking up the price for Horfy?

Any willingness to pilfer vets AL and Korver to raid their cupboards for young talent?

Or will Horford's long relationship with his former agent play absolutely no role in their pitch or AH's interest?
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#94 » by PandaKidd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:50 pm

We can offer AH 20+ million more, so i dont think hes going anywhere. I believe we made the decision to sign him long term last season, I believe they will max him out and he wont turn it down. I dont think hes really unhappy here. I think he WAS unhappy 3 years ago. I think now, hes in the right environment. I think the "Playing at PF" talk is just that , I dont think he cares either way. If he really cared he would have had bigger conversations this past offseason around resigning Millsap.

Hawks need to get better WINGs and better Guard play.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,940

Post#95 » by tmorgan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 am

I doubt Tellem has anything to do with Horford's decision. It's a long shot that he'll come to Detroit, but we're hoping. Perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#96 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:43 am

I fully expect Horford to sign a max contract.
It's beneficial to him and his future, with the exception that he possibly won't ever win a ring.
I fully back our ownership at the present time and believe they'll add the pieces necessary to take us to the next level.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#97 » by yosemiteben » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:46 am

Horford is getting a max. IMO Charlotte would gladly give that to him if they thought he'd come to town.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#98 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Zach Lowe, one of the survivors of the Grantland implosion, mentions in a small blurb that Hawks still foresee Horford as a cornerstone piece:

Zach Lowe wrote:Toronto would be a perfect fit for Al Horford, but the Hawks view him as a long-term cornerstone, even as he approaches unrestricted free agency this summer.

He also states that his conversations with GM across the league indicate bidding for Bazemore's services could get ridiculous:

Estimates of the starting salary Kent Bazemore will be able to command on his next deal range from the mid-level, which tops out at $5.628MM, to $12MM, according to a dozen league executives to whom Lowe spoke.

Yikes!!!
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#99 » by MaceCase » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:04 pm

DeMarre got more than that in a lower cap for the same production. 12 million seems to be optimistic.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM

Post#100 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:21 pm

MaceCase wrote:DeMarre got more than that in a lower cap for the same production. 12 million seems to be optimistic.

Plus Bazemore is younger than DeMarre.

Return to Atlanta Hawks