ImageImage

Should the Hawks move Millsap to SF?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Should the Hawks move Millsap to SF? 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 am

Should the Hawks put Millsap at SF next year?

I think Budz will happily give Horford max. I want to make an offer to Harrison Barnes, but the pickings are very slim at SF this year. However, their does seem to be alot of quality centers in this up and coming free agency like .....

Noah, Dwight , Whiteside, Zaza, Speights, Mozgov, Nene, Motiejunas, Al Jefferson, and Ezeli

Should the Hawks try to pick up a center like Noah or Speights and move Horford to PF and try to move Millsap to SF?
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Re: Should the Hawks move Millsap to SF? 

Post#2 » by PandaKidd » Thu May 26, 2016 4:15 pm

NO.

If they were going to make that move they would have done it with Splitter. Millsap cant guard opposing SFs. I dont want him going foot to foot with other SFs. Millsap has the same skillset Horford has at C. Quicker and a better outside shooter than most other PFs.

Moving him to SF makes him a post player mainly and I dont think thats a good idea.

If you want a real center, then Millsap/Horford has to go. And Im ok with that if you turn one of them into a major Wing piece.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#3 » by PandaKidd » Thu May 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Also,
Millsap/Splitter under contract. IF they offer AH a max deal, I suspect your front court is staying the same, heres no need to bring in any other big name FA. Youll have Scott/Tavares as backups and whatever they decide to do with Muscala.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#4 » by MaceCase » Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 pm

No.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#5 » by jayu70 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 pm

NO.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Fri May 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Millsap has excelled due to playing at the 4.
I could be wrong but the stats say otherwise.
I believe he's yet to reach his ceiling but he's very close to doing so.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#7 » by King Ken » Sun May 29, 2016 4:49 am

No. He's kinda a SF on offense but defensively, he's a Josh Smith PF. Not the same players but they both are freelance defenders

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#8 » by simon24 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:49 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Should the Hawks put Millsap at SF next year?

I think Budz will happily give Horford max. I want to make an offer to Harrison Barnes, but the pickings are very slim at SF this year. However, their does seem to be alot of quality centers in this up and coming free agency like .....

Noah, Dwight , Whiteside, Zaza, Speights, Mozgov, Nene, Motiejunas, Al Jefferson, and Ezeli

Should the Hawks try to pick up a center like Noah or Speights and move Horford to PF and try to move Millsap to SF?

No, he should stay at PF.

I wouldn't consider this year's center class as quality. Speights, Nene and Motiejunas are power forwards.

No, Coach Bud need to utilize what he has better. Resign Hump. He should be the first big off the bench and getting Mike Scott minutes.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#9 » by td00 » Thu Jun 9, 2016 7:31 pm

Millsap is a solid 4............let Al walk and get us 2 replacements with Al's money.
epfou1
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#10 » by epfou1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:54 am

I support the Millsap move the SF. I think we should start a big lineup but then switch to small lineup quickly. Similar to what Golden State do and their usage of Bogut. He's their starting C and defensive anchor but only plays 15-20 minutes per game.

SF: Millsap
PF: Horford
C: Splitter (or Noel, if Teague trade rumors are true)
PG: Teague (or Schroder)
SG: Bazemore

I think Millsap is quick enough to play SF on D. And defensively he keeps on getting better, especially his hands with regards to steals per game. I have no doubt he wont struggle to guard small forwards. Size was, he is pretty much the same being 6'8" himself.

With a true center like Splitter (or Noel) at the 5 we can significantly improve our rebounding woes. Especially considering Horford is becoming allergic to the paint.

And moving Korver to the bench can help his efficiency and perhaps preserve his career. I think Korver is now too old to play starters minutes.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#11 » by td00 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:32 pm

We are on the brink of losing Baze and the threat of Al unless we give him that year 5.

That sounds like a solid step back.

We don't compete with SA, which we model, so what is missing?

Either a scoring 2 or 3....Korver and/or Thabo is not enough.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Post#12 » by Yungsta404 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:28 pm

if you want to be a worst team then yes lets move him to SF.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

epfou1 wrote:I support the Millsap move the SF. I think we should start a big lineup but then switch to small lineup quickly. Similar to what Golden State do and their usage of Bogut. He's their starting C and defensive anchor but only plays 15-20 minutes per game.

SF: Millsap
PF: Horford
C: Splitter (or Noel, if Teague trade rumors are true)
PG: Teague (or Schroder)
SG: Bazemore

I think Millsap is quick enough to play SF on D. And defensively he keeps on getting better, especially his hands with regards to steals per game. I have no doubt he wont struggle to guard small forwards. Size was, he is pretty much the same being 6'8" himself.

With a true center like Splitter (or Noel) at the 5 we can significantly improve our rebounding woes. Especially considering Horford is becoming allergic to the paint.

And moving Korver to the bench can help his efficiency and perhaps preserve his career. I think Korver is now too old to play starters minutes.

Well the whole point to move Sap to SF is if the Hawks can get Dwight or Noah, and plan to resign Horford. I wouldn't force Millsap to SF, just for Splitter.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 am

The idea i proposed a month ago about bring in Dwight or Noah now sounds alot more interesting.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:18 pm

ESPN: If the Hawks are unable to thrust themselves into the Durant bidding, sources say that one countermove Atlanta is weighing strongly is the free-agent pursuit of Atlanta native Dwight Howard to play alongside Horford in the frontcourt. Howard will become a free agent Friday after declining his $23 million player option next season with the Houston Rockets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16584686/atlanta-hawks-want-get-involved-kevin-durant-sweepstakes

Does this mean the Hawks are moving Millsap to SF?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:33 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
ESPN: If the Hawks are unable to thrust themselves into the Durant bidding, sources say that one countermove Atlanta is weighing strongly is the free-agent pursuit of Atlanta native Dwight Howard to play alongside Horford in the frontcourt. Howard will become a free agent Friday after declining his $23 million player option next season with the Houston Rockets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16584686/atlanta-hawks-want-get-involved-kevin-durant-sweepstakes

Does this mean the Hawks are moving Millsap to SF?

I, surprisingly, do like the combination of Howard/Horford in the frontcourt.

But Millsap would be wasted at SF.

It's really hard to say what Bud's thinking is, though. I'd say trade Millsap for wing help, and then start Howard/Horford.

That size, toughness inside likely gives us an advantage on most Eastern Conference teams...particularly in the playoffs.

...but Millsap at SF at this stage of his career makes no sense. I am wholeheartedly against that move.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:32 pm

This is the only way I would experiment with Sap at SF. Bud can stagger the minutes and rotations so that Sap still sees the bulk of his minutes at PF. Just like Al would be the first guy out the lineup to bring in Splitter, Al leaves Millsap slides to PF. D12 leaves, Al returns.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:This is the only way I would experiment with Sap at SF. Bud can stagger the minutes and rotations so that Sap still sees the bulk of his minutes at PF. Just like Al would be the first guy out the lineup to bring in Splitter, Al leaves Millsap slides to PF. D12 leaves, Al returns.

You might be right there. Dwight has always had injury issues. Budz could look after Dwight's health and limit him to 25 minutes per game (for the majority of the regular season), and also limiting Sap and Horford to 28-30 minutes a night.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:42 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:This is the only way I would experiment with Sap at SF. Bud can stagger the minutes and rotations so that Sap still sees the bulk of his minutes at PF. Just like Al would be the first guy out the lineup to bring in Splitter, Al leaves Millsap slides to PF. D12 leaves, Al returns.

You might be right there. Dwight has always had injury issues. Budz could look after Dwight's health and limit him to 25 minutes per game (for the majority of the regular season), and also limiting Sap and Horford to 28-30 minutes a night.

I would also be ok with bringing Millsap off the bench to backup Al- he can play the Manu or Iggy role and anchor our bench. He'll still play his minutes. Our bench needs more talent.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#20 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Oh and Dwight would definitely have to take a pay cut. Not interested in gutting team to sign him.

Return to Atlanta Hawks