ImageImage

Taurean Prince

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Taurean Prince 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

I think most Hawks fans are okay with Prince and like his skills and hustle, but most of us are just underwhelmed with it being the 12th pick.

Hawks passed on alot of other SF and took Prince. Prince going 12th pretty much is saying that Budz thinks Prince is the 2nd best SF in the draft.

We all know that Prince can be a solid NBA player, but can he be an All Star NBA player?

For most fans, this is not the guy we would have taken at #12. But SF, this is in Budz wheelhouse.

Some fans might be alittle upset or alot upset at Budz making this pick, but if Budz can turn Prince into another Kawhi, then he will shut up all the doubters again.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Taurean Prince 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:53 am

Does anyone else think it's ironic that Prince's NBA comparison is DeMarre Carroll?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/taurean-prince

I like Prince a lot just hated where we took him at--feels like we kinda wasted the Teague trade. With a late lotto pick I always take the guy with a higher ceiling and hope for the best versus taking the guy with a safer floor.

I'm not sure if he will ever blossom into a Kawhi Leonard 2.0 for us. Seems like a 3-D role playing wing. If he ever improves his handles and learns how to create for himself and others then that would go a long way.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:54 am

I hope he gets garbage minutes next season at the very least. However I think Bud will probably have him spend the majority of the year in the D-League.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Taurean Prince 

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:58 am

I know what Bud's policy is on rookies, but if we don't sign a SG or SF in FA then he has to start, right? I mean Bazemore should be gone, and our wing rotation currently consists of Korver/Thabo/THJ...

I at least think that the number 12 pick should be able to contribute quality mins off the bench. I'll be really disappointed if both our picks end up D-League castaways their rookie year. I mean Prince is coming into the NBA coming off 4 years in school.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:42 am

ATL Boy wrote:I know what Bud's policy is on rookies, but if we don't sign a SG or SF in FA then he has to start, right? I mean Bazemore should be gone, and our wing rotation currently consists of Korver/Thabo/THJ...

I at least think that the number 12 pick should be able to contribute quality mins off the bench. I'll be really disappointed if both our picks end up D-League castaways their rookie year. I mean Prince is coming into the NBA coming off 4 years in school.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

IIRC Payne was a 4 year college prospect coming out of the draft as well. I'm not sure if this really plays a factor into our rookies getting minutes or not. Though if Prince can have a good showing in SL then I'd think that would increase his chances?

But I agree that you want your lottery pick to at least be able to play garbage minutes in their 1st season versus getting buried in the D-League.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#6 » by MaceCase » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:17 am

I think people need to stop putting so much emphasis on the word "lottery". TBH, if you're sitting outside of top 3 then you actually lost the lottery, you just have a pick at whatever numbered slot. The thing is though is that in a typical draft talent is divided by tiers, not slots. The 5th pick isn't automatically X amount greater than the 6th and the 6th isn't X amount greater than the 7th, the truth is that the 1-3 or the 5-8 could all have the same average of promise. So in the case that you have a weak draft those tiers expand, instead of 5-8 you may have 3-10 and 11-20 all having the same caliber of talent.

This is the case with this draft, you can't just avoid all context and put labels like "#12" or "lottery" and have some expectation of value or production that doesn't fit the actual talent available in that tier yet alone the entire draft. All this to just say this, doesn't matter if Prince supposedly could be had at 21, there's not much separating him from anyone else in that range and that is before you even start adding in considerations such as fit. BudCox made sure they got the guy they wanted from what was available.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#7 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:33 am

MaceCase wrote:I think people need to stop putting so much emphasis on the word "lottery". TBH, if you're sitting outside of top 3 then you actually lost the lottery, you just have a pick at whatever numbered slot. The thing is though is that in a typical draft talent is divided by tiers, not slots. The 5th pick isn't automatically X amount greater than the 6th and the 6th isn't X amount greater than the 7th, the truth is that the 1-3 or the 5-8 could all have the same average of promise. So in the case that you have a weak draft those tiers expand, instead of 5-8 you may have 3-10 and 11-20 all having the same caliber of talent.

This is the case with this draft, you can't just avoid all context and put labels like "#12" or "lottery" and have some expectation of value or production that doesn't fit the actual talent available in that tier yet alone the entire draft. All this to just say this, doesn't matter if Prince supposedly could be had at 21, there's not much separating him from anyone else in that range and that is before you even start adding in considerations such as fit. BudCox made sure they got the guy they wanted from what was available.

atlantabbq99 wrote: Posted Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 am

If the Hawks stay at 21, here is my draft board ranking.

1. Denzel Valentine
2. Timothe Luwawu
3. Skal Labissiere
4. Taurean Prince
5. Jaron Blossomgame
6. Joel Bolomboy

I'm in love with Valentine the same way i was in love with Devin Booker last year. If I had the 10th pick, i would still take Valentine. I hope he falls to 21.

Luwawu and Skal are both projected to be mid to late first round pick, who knows if they will be available at 21 on draft night, but both would be good pick ups and good projects for Budz.

It has nothing to do with what number you are at. I'm upset because I had Prince as the 4th best SF in this draft.

Budz passed up on Valentine and Luwawu. I would have taken Labissiere. That is where the disagreement is.

i think Valentine and Luwawu will end up being better pros than Prince, but Budz can easily prove me wrong by turning Prince into Kawhi or a better version of Carroll.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#8 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Nit disappointed at all, we got a SF which is a position of need. Lets hope BudCox can develop him. I dont watch enough College Ball to really know anything, but, I tend to agree with Mace on this one. Time will tell if this was a good pick or not.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#9 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Oh, and rumors are they are ABSOLUTELY keeping Bazemore.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:13 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:Does anyone else think it's ironic that Prince's NBA comparison is DeMarre Carroll?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/taurean-prince

Not ironic. Not even a coincidence. I think it was an ideal pick (in Bud's mind) because of all the similarities to Demarre.

What is ironic, is that DMC was a fringe first rounder himself, who bounced around the league and became a low-cost journeyman early in his career. Neither was considered a top prospect. And even DMC isn't considered a top player now.

This selection was, undeniably, a reach. Most mocks had TP-2000 going 6-8 picks lower. A few even had him going towards the end of the first round.

Regarding Prince specifically: He's a good kid with a high floor. Seems a lock to be a fixture in the NBA for years. He fits a need and the system. But this is further indication that Bud favors system over talent. And will keep the status quo at all costs.

I don't hate the selection, but it's clear Bud thinks short term and simply doesn't care about managing assets long term.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#11 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:32 pm

So when DMC was coming up for UFA all the signs pointed to him leaving.

With Bazemore, they have cleared cap space (teague), Bazemore is out doing Hawks PR (with Muscala). I dont know, it just seems like hes not leaving, they are going to pay him
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:44 pm

PandaKidd wrote:So when DMC was coming up for UFA all the signs pointed to him leaving.

With Bazemore, they have cleared cap space (teague), Bazemore is out doing Hawks PR (with Muscala). I dont know, it just seems like hes not leaving, they are going to pay him

PandaKidd wrote:Oh, and rumors are they are ABSOLUTELY keeping Bazemore.

Heart-breaking.

We love our CORE. Even if they can't dribble, have low upside and are massively overpaid. :nonono:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#13 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:15 pm

We addressed our wing deficiencies.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

Post#14 » by td00 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:30 pm

So these 2 guys have a chance to right our biggest weakness in the starting lineup. If nothing else, we will develop a rotation, and defense will win out in this competition.

Now, we have a huge hole @ PG. We have to resolve that quickly. Any suggestions? I thought Felder could have been given a great opportunity if given that chance. We passed on Ulis, who was an easy get as well.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#15 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 pm

To be clear, IM really happy they drafted positions of need and wing prospects (our wings are Thabo/Korver/THJ/BAzegawd) and I like having more youth in there.

However, the bazemore thing scares me, if we offer him a huge contract.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#16 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 pm

td00 wrote:So these 2 guys have a chance to right our biggest weakness in the starting lineup. If nothing else, we will develop a rotation, and defense will win out in this competition.

Now, we have a huge hole @ PG. We have to resolve that quickly. Any suggestions? I thought Felder could have been given a great opportunity if given that chance. We passed on Ulis, who was an easy get as well.

Anyone think Hinrich comes back now?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#17 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:00 pm

PandaKidd wrote:
td00 wrote:So these 2 guys have a chance to right our biggest weakness in the starting lineup. If nothing else, we will develop a rotation, and defense will win out in this competition.

If it's for a vet min deal, because rumblings are Baze is coming back and we'd need to renounce Kirk's $5.6 million cap hold to clear space. I think.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#18 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:

If it's for a vet min deal, because rumblings are Baze is coming back and we'd need to renounce Kirk's $5.6 million cap hold to clear space. I think.

yeah i didnt know what his cap hold was. Hinrich seems like the logical low key move, knows the team, played some last year, vet, cheap, etc.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#19 » by MaceCase » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:13 pm

I don't know, I'm not completely buying into Baze being back because last offseason even when everyone knew that they'd realistically have to pick between either Sap or DeMarre Bud was still saying he wanted everyone back and returning everyone was the priority.

Practically nothing ever leaks from the Hawks camp ever yet any time Bud gives a response to a question it's taken as the gospel. We will see.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#20 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:20 pm

MaceCase wrote:I don't know, I'm not completely buying into Baze being back because last offseason even when everyone knew that they'd realistically have to pick between either Sap or DeMarre Bud was still saying he wanted everyone back and returning everyone was the priority.

Practically nothing ever leaks from the Hawks camp ever yet any time Bud gives a response to a question it's taken as the gospel. We will see.

also fair, but the player side , i felt like, was much strong against DMC leaving. His "no discount" comments and IIRC he said something like "It is about money" or something.

That and the fact he wasnt really seen much until he left.

The Hawks Twitter has been sending out photos of Bazemore at camps/doing PR stuff , that an his comments on the Hawks team and stuff from his personal twitter , just seems like the opposite of DMC.

Seems to me like a player who kinda knows what hes getting.

Of course, this is all my opinion and speculation, and Im not very good at predictions :lol:

Return to Atlanta Hawks