The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Re: The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta 

Post#21 » by dalton749 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 4:48 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Offensively Delaney may have been better running the team in general and shooting from distance, but defensively he'd get eaten alive by starting PGs. He could do nothing against Brandon Knight last night.

Agreed. What's interesting: I keep hearing that Delaney is an offensive upgrade from Dennis. And the eye test tells me the same thing in the early going.

But Delaney is shooting much worse from the field than DS. And even worse from deep.

He's a more disciplined/experienced floor general. But his offensive and defensive efficiency this year is undeniably inferior to Schroder.

I'd be okay if we made a move for Jameer Nelson, Leandro Barbosa, Ish Smith, Patrick Patterson to bolster the PG position.

When did Patrick Patterson become a pg lol. Hes a really good role player for Toronto, but he's definitely not bolstering anybody's pg position.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 2, 2016 12:12 pm

dalton749 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'd be okay if we made a move for Jameer Nelson, Leandro Barbosa, Ish Smith, Patrick Patterson to bolster the PG position.

When did Patrick Patterson become a pg lol. Hes a really good role player for Toronto, but he's definitely not bolstering anybody's pg position.

You'll have to forgive me. I'm old.

I was thinking of Houston PG (and 3 & D standout) Patrick Beverly.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 5, 2016 3:00 pm

Evaluating Dennis Schröder’s Season so Far

As the Hawks struggle to snap a losing streak, how has Dennis Schröder played as a starter?

...the two biggest questions about the Hawks’ lineup centered around switching Dwight Howard for Al Horford, and promoting Dennis Schröder to the starting lineup. So, after 21 games, how has Schröder handled the starting role this season?

[H]e has improved both his three-point shooting and overall field-goal percentages.

However, other statistics offer a more sobering view...the Hawks have actually played better this season when Schröder is not on the floor. Atlanta has an offensive rating of 97.6 and a defensive rating of 103.2 with Dennis. Without him, though the offensive numbers increase to 101.4, while the defense becomes stingier at 96.3. In terms of net rating, Atlanta sits at +5.0 without their starting point guard, and -5.6 when he plays. So far, Schröder also boasts a plus/minus rating of -3.9.

[T]here are several other factors that need to be considered. The first is that the Hawks as a team have not been particularly good this year. Their 10-11 record reflects this, and it would be unfair to blame one starter for everything that has gone wrong in recent weeks. Secondly, many of these advanced statistics apply to the entire starting five. The lineup of Schröder, Korver, Millsap, Bazemore, and Howard currently boasts a plus/minus of -2.3.

...at his young age (23) this is hardly a long-term indictment of his prospects. It also isn’t fair to blame him for the whole team’s struggles. The entire starting lineup has struggled, and to some extent Dennis’ statistics are a reflection (rather than a cause) of that fact.
Here
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 6:29 pm

Our vets aren't doing much to help Dennis out.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta 

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Peachtree Hoops article highlighting DS's elite production in the last 10 games.

Has Dennis Schröder found his stride?

...since the loss to the Warriors (105-100), Schröder seems to have found his rhythm and his confidence offensively. Though the Hawks have won only 2 of their last 8 games, during this stretch Schröder has scored 21.6 ppg while logging 9 apg. Prior to this stretch, he had only scored 21 points or more in a game once and had logged 9 or more assists in a game twice. Now he is averaging those numbers over his last 8 games.

His performance has been boosted with improved shooting during this stretch as Schröder has shot 51.8% on field goal attempts and 44.8% from 3-point range. For context, on the season no point guard is shooting better than 50% from the field. Also, only 2 point guards are shooting better than 44% from 3-point range on the season.

Schroder’s per 36 minutes stats this season are identical to his stats last season. This season he is logging 19.6 points, 7.5 assists and 3.8 turnovers. Last season he logged 19.5 points 7.8 assists and 4.1 turnovers. During this 8 game stretch however his per 36 minutes stats are up to 24.1 points, 10 assists and 3.8 turnovers. For context, over the course of the season the only point guards averaging more than 24 points per 36 minutes are named Westbrook, Thomas, Curry, Lillard, Harden, Irving, and Walker (all getting serious All-Star consideration). Only 3 point guards are averaging more than 10 assists per 36 minutes on the season: James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul, all of whom have been mentioned in early season MVP consideration.

Schroder's net rating on the season is still at an unimpressive -3.6; however over the Hawks last 8 games Schroder is a 3rd best -0.8 net rating and the stretch includes 3 games during which the Hawks’ best player, Paul Millsap, did not play including back-to-back blowouts to the Pistons and Raptors .

...if the Hawks are to find their identity and right the ship, I think much of it will come down to whether or not Schröder can continue his recent level of play.
Peachtree Hoops

DS over the last 10 games: 20 ppg - 7.4 apg - 48% from the field. He's still learning the nuances of being a starter and balancing his scoring with playmaking...but this is solid production.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:59 pm

A new series called 'The Stepback' over at Fansided foresees the team needing to revamp the offense entirely around DS's strengths:

Dennis Schroder will save the Atlanta Hawks…eventually

Atlanta is still caught between two styles. Although they have made some adjustments to their style to accommodate Schroder and Howard, the Hawks still seem to be caught between what they were and what they would like to be. Schroder needs to play in an offense that accentuates his play off the dribble, with spot-up shooters on the outside and rim-running big men who can crash the offensive glass. The residual heavy ball movement and up-tempo pace has Schroder making passes for the sake of making passes to shooters who need clean looks to be effective from distance.

If Atlanta does view Schroder as a long-term solution at point guard, then the Hawks are going to have to build this team around his strengths and obvious limitations. Schroder is a more ball-dominant player than Teague.
Here

This is a decent read from an emerging voice in basketball circles. His overall sentiment seems reasonable, but some of the logic and observations he uses to get there are...flawed.

What are you guys thoughts on revamping the offense (and roster?) to better cater to the strengths of our young dynamo?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#27 » by ATL Boy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't think we can keep running this same system with this current group of players. What made this work en route to the 60-win season was the fact that everyone just hit their stride at the same time in that magical two month span, and that Kyle Korver was dangerous and efficient he had to be guarded as if he were a 30 ppg scorer. We just don't have that anymore.

Coach Bud needs to bring in legitimate shooters this offseason for it to work again (the likes of JJ Reddick and Gordan Hayward).

As for Dennis, he's been justifying the contract extension beautifully. Catering this offense to his strengths, for this season at least, wouldn't be the worst idea of all time. Especially considering the fact that he and Millsap are the only consistent offensive players on this team.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Another article praising Dennis for his improvements as a starting PG:

Schroder getting better understanding of new role

Dennis Schroder is getting a better understanding...not just for the Hawks’ offense, but for the opposition’s defense as well.

Recent play suggests that Schroder is gaining a better understanding of his new role.

Schroder is continuing the development of his game where he can decide to drive to the basket and either finish or pass to outside shooters or work the half roll or lob game with Howard. Those options present issues for defenses — stay with Schroder or help on Howard. Schroder has also responded when defenses chose to go screens and dared the jump shot.

Through Thursday, Schroder had averaged 21.6 points with a .519 field-goal percentage and eight assists over the past eight games. He has scored at least 15 points in each of those outings. He set career-highs in points (twice) and assists during the stretch.

“I think, overall, he’s doing a lot of things right,” Budenholzer said. “I feel like the assists are probably as important as anything. His scoring sets up the assists. The assists set up the scoring. He’s just got to be that balance."
Here

And then I see stats like this:

Read on Twitter

Yikes. HOW?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Ladies and gentlemen. As of 12/29, Dennis Schroder is the leading scorer for your Atlanta Hawks. At age 23.

He's averaging 20 ppg and 7 apg on 51% shooting for the month of December.

Is this something to be celebrated? A portent of things to come?
Of no consequence at all?

Is Dennis already as good a starting PG as Jeff Teague?

My first thought is that DS has already come a long way in a matter of months. He's adjusted his game to the starting role and the lineup. Now it's Bud's turn to adjust the offense (and roster) to better utilize DS's abilities.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#30 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Ladies and gentlemen. As of 12/29, Dennis Schroder is the leading scorer of your Atlanta Hawks. At age 23.

He's averaging 20 ppg and 7 apg on 51% shooting for the month of December.

Is this something to be celebrated? A portent of things to come?
Of no consequence at all?

Is Dennis already as good a starting PG as Jeff Teague?

My first thought is that DS has already come a long way in a matter of months. He's adjusted his game to the starting role and the lineup. Now it's Bud's turn to adjust the offense (and roster) to better utilize DS's abilities.

I don't know that he should be the leading the scorer, but I'm OK with it for now. I think he's recognizing when he needs to pick up his scoring. I'm more impressed with the 51% shooting.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:33 pm

jayu70 wrote:I don't know that he should be the leading the scorer, but I'm OK with it for now...

A very reasonable sentiment.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm

...the [Hawks] offense has settled in as one of the NBA's 10 worst.

Dennis Schroder is finally a statistical plus on the more glamorous end, but Atlanta is using Kent Bazemore, Malcolm Delaney and Tim Hardaway Jr. to initiate the offense whenever he sits—often to the detriment of the team's already shaky scoring ability.
Here

Get this boy a veteran backup at PG. Good grief. Jameer Nelson would be a perfect complement. He has a decade's worth of experience; he's played with Dwight in the past (to great success); his 3-pt shooting would be greatly utilized on this squad.

And he could definitely help Dennis progress/develop well into his prime years.

Observation: Has Bud ever had a PG on his squad over the age of 29?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Dennis Schroder is finally a statistical plus on the more glamorous end, but Atlanta is using Kent Bazemore, Malcolm Delaney and Tim Hardaway Jr. to initiate the offense whenever he sits—often to the detriment of the team's already shaky scoring ability.
Here

Get this boy a veteran backup at PG. Good grief. Jameer Nelson would be a perfect complement. He has a decade's worth of experience; he's played with Dwight in the past (to great success); his 3-pt shooting would be greatly utilized on this squad.

And he could definitely help Dennis progress develop well into his prime years.

Kirk Hinrich?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Observation: Has Bud ever had a PG on his squad over the age of 29?

Kirk Hinrich?

:o

:lol:

Touche
jayu70
RealGM

Post#35 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Observation: Has Bud ever had a PG on his squad over the age of 29?

Kirk Hinrich?

:o

:lol:

Touche

You asked, I answered :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:23 pm

He deserves consideration for his play of late.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#37 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:He deserves consideration for his play of late.

Read on Twitter

Agreed but he won't get in.
Irving, Lowry, Walker, IT will get the nod ahead of him.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#38 » by D21 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Here

I only partially agree. Yes he made huge improvements, and the team runs better with him in December, but he's still in negative Plus/Minus on this month.
We are talking about the offense with or without him, without a good backup... but the problem is still the impact of the starters at this moment. When the starters outscore the opponent, ATL wins.
Because there's a bigger problem to adjust : defense with Dennis.

Offense and Defense

Dennis:

Malcolm:

It doesn't mean anything to score 2pts more on offense if you're outscored by 10pts on defense.

Now, it's the season numbers until 12/28, and it has improved a lot in December.
But we far away to call Dennis a "great starting PG with no good backup"
afectar
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#39 » by afectar » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:06 pm

D21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Here

I only partially agree. Yes he made huge improvements, and the team runs better with him in December, but he's still in negative Plus/Minus on this month.
We are talking about the offense with or without him, without a good backup... but the problem is still the impact of the starters at this moment. When the starters outscore the opponent, ATL wins.
Because there's a bigger problem to adjust : defense with Dennis.

Offense and Defense

Dennis:

Malcolm:

It doesn't mean anything to score 2pts more on offense if you're outscored by 10pts on defense.

Now, it's the season numbers until 12/28, and it has improved a lot in December.
But we far away to call Dennis a "great starting PG with no good backup"

I see your point, but he is going up agains't top PG on most nights, so I cut him some slack. ** E.Payton should have not gone off lol**
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#40 » by ATL Boy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 pm

Anyone else think Malcolm Delaney has fallen off lately? I don't have any advanced stats to back me up, but just based off the eye test it looks like he's having a hard time running an offense as of late. I see Bud has been experimenting with Bazemore as the facilitator for stretches (with some good effect).
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.

Return to Atlanta Hawks