Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

All about the College Park SkyHawks! 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 9, 2016 9:01 pm

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

...Chris Vivlamore of AJC brings word that the Hawks will purchase and operate their own NBA D-League affiliate beginning in 2019.

This is massive news for an organization that has been in search of a D-League outlet for quite some time, and the acquisition of such a team has been high on the priority list of owner Tony Ressler since he purchased the team. In terms of details, we do not know much at this time aside from the start date and location of the D-League franchise, but the creation of such an entity would greatly aid the Hawks in developing players and managing assets in the future. Finally, the (very) close proximity is also a significant factor, as Atlanta can take full advantage of the flexibility the D-League team would provide.
Here
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Re: Hawks putting a D-League Team in College Park 

Post#2 » by DirtybirdGA » Wed Nov 9, 2016 9:43 pm

Hooray!
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,908

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:07 am

Nice.
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#4 » by Robo_Claw » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:03 am

Right on, good for the Hawks and for College Park.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,972

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:04 am

Fantastic news.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#6 » by ATL Boy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:39 am

Long overdue

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#7 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Press conference is on the Hawks Facebook page.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:57 pm

The Atlanta Hawks officially announced an expansion D-League franchise that will begin play in the 2019-20 season. The team will be based in College Park and will compete in a brand new, 3,500 seat arena that will be built at the Gateway Center.

“Securing a D-League team for the Atlanta Hawks was among our top priorities when our ownership group took over the team,” said Tony Ressler, Atlanta Hawks Principal Owner and Chairman.

Mike Budenholzer talked about how location was key to a D-League franchise and described how players might practice with the Hawks in the morning and play for the D-League team at night. Having them at such a close proximity will allow the franchise complete flexibility with the development of its roster.

With the announcement, the Hawks become the 16th NBA team to own and operate a NBA Development League affiliate. The D-League is now made up of 23 teams.

“Today’s an exciting day in the NBA D-League”, said NBA D-League President Malcolm Turner. “With the addition of the Hawks to our ownership ranks, more than half of NBA teams now own and operate their NBA D-League affiliate – an important step toward our goal of having a 30-team minor league.”
Here

Seems like a great opportunity to expand the D-League.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:07 pm

dms269 wrote:If Atlanta was to have a d-league team, any ideas where it could/should be located?

College Park...and I love the decision to get our own franchise for exclusive use, but I don't love the location.

I'd have thought we could at least look at Macon or Warner Robins, if not another medium sized town in the South East, thus expanding the Hawks footprint into say Birmingham, Biloxi, Jacksonville, etc.

From an operations standpoint, it makes sense to have the minor league so close. Coaches, trainers and players can shuttle between the two with ease. But from an economics standpoint...I think the team could enjoy greater support in a more secluded/rural setting.

Gwinnett has struggled to provide consistent support to their Braves minor league team so close to the big league product. I foresee similar struggles in nearby College Park for the Hawks minor league.

But it's a minor quibble. This business decision was inevitable. The previous situation in the D-League was simply unsustainable, and it was pretty short-sighted not to see this coming.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Read on Twitter
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#11 » by simon24 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:26 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
dms269 wrote:If Atlanta was to have a d-league team, any ideas where it could/should be located?

College Park...and I love the decision to get our own franchise for exclusive use, but I don't love the location.

I'd have thought we could at least look at Macon or Warner Robins, if not another medium sized town in the South East, thus expanding the Hawks footprint into say Birmingham, Biloxi, Jacksonville, etc.

From an operations standpoint, it makes sense to have the minor league so close. Coaches, trainers and players can shuttle between the two with ease. But from an economics standpoint...I think the team could enjoy greater support in a more secluded/rural setting.

Gwinnett has struggled to provide consistent support to their Braves minor league team so close to the big league product. I foresee similar struggles in nearby College Park for the Hawks minor league.

But it's a minor quibble. This business decision was inevitable. The previous situation in the D-League was simply unsustainable, and it was pretty short-sighted not to see this coming.

2019 seems so far away. Hawks need a D League ASAP, the core of the team isn't getting any younger.

Did the fact they chose to build a new arena in College Park play a factor in why they got to wait 3 years? I know Gwinnett, Columbus, Macon got arenas they could play in right now.

I'm not too familiar with D League fan support, but is it really that important? Can't expect especially in metro ATL city like College Park for people to go out their way to sell out the arena when there's so much going on in ATL.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Bud wanted the team close by. What Bud wants, Bud gets.
He liked the idea of a player playing in the DL one night, then can easily join the team the next night...per Steve Koonin NBA radio interview.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,479

Post#13 » by dms269 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:34 pm

simon24 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

2019 seems so far away. Hawks need a D League ASAP, the core of the team isn't getting any younger.

Did the fact they chose to build a new arena in College Park play a factor in why they got to wait 3 years? I know Gwinnett, Columbus, Macon got arenas they could play in right now.

I'm not too familiar with D League fan support, but is it really that important? Can't expect especially in metro ATL city like College Park for people to go out their way to sell out the arena when there's so much going on in ATL.

I agree with the idea that College Park is a weird location.

Gwinnett isn't a good location since the market is over saturated. G-Braves, Swarm, Gladiators, plus all of the "free" events that cities offered. Attendance should matter since you need attendance to sell tickets and make money that way.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote: I love the decision to get our own franchise for exclusive use, but I don't love the location.

dms269 wrote:I agree with the idea that College Park is a weird location.

simon24 wrote:Did the fact they chose to build a new arena in College Park play a factor in why they got to wait 3 years? I'm not too familiar with D League fan support, but is it really that important? Can't

The more I hear of the College Park location, the more I believe that city has made a mistake investing so much into this venture:

New Southside arena for minor league Hawks could cost millions

College Park will pay $20 million to $40 million for an arena for a new NBA minor league affiliate of the Atlanta Hawks, according to city manager Terrence Moore...which he said was a “very preliminary” range.

That’s for a city with a population of about 15,000, which is less than the average attendance at Hawks games in downtown Atlanta...

The Hawks D-League team would pay rent starting at $5,000 per game, according to Moore, with about 36 games expected annually
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/new-southside-arena-for-minor-league-hawks-could-c/ns7qZ/

This sounds disastrous for that city long term.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Seems like a great opportunity to expand the D-League.

MaceCase wrote:Who is going to invest in the DLeague?
Here

Us...I think. This certainly muddies the waters a bit.

Read on Twitter

According to NBA.com, an Erie franchise and Hawks could be close to finalizing a deal for the next two seasons while Atlanta prepares for a permanent team in Georgia.
Here

Chris Vivlamore wrote:The Hawks could operate the BayHawks for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

A relationship between the Hawks and BayHawks would likely be a hybrid agreement splitting the basketball and business operations, according to the paper. That is the current relationship between the Magic and the BayHawks.
AJC

So, if I have this correct...ATL would run this Erie franchise while we wait to start our own franchise here in Georgia. Orlando actually bought the Erie team, but won't be relocating them to Florida for the time being. So, we'd run their D-League team in a different part of the country for a couple of years?

Weird.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#16 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Seems like a great opportunity to expand the D-League.

MaceCase wrote:Who is going to invest in the DLeague?
Here

Us...I think. This certainly muddies the waters a bit.

Read on Twitter

According to NBA.com, an Erie franchise and Hawks could be close to finalizing a deal for the next two seasons while Atlanta prepares for a permanent team in Georgia.
Here

So, if I have this correct...ATL would run this Erie franchise while we wait to start our own franchise here in Georgia. Orlando actually bought the Erie team, but won't be relocating them to Florida for the time being. So, we'd run their D-League team in a different part of the country for a couple of years?

Weird.

That's interesting and like you said, weird.
I guess it give the Hawks a leg up in putting a staff in place that runs Bud's offense so we can assign our own players. Also add SL invites, FAs etc who will play in the Hawks system.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Brad Rowland of Peachtree Hoops bring up a good point regarding this approach:

Read on Twitter

Brad Rowland wrote:From a basketball standpoint, assuming ownership of a D-League affiliate has many perks...the Hawks have a wealth of NBA Draft assets arriving in the near future and this will provide a landing spot for young talent to develop on an accelerated timeline.
Peachtree Hoops

Could the commitment to run a D-League team earlier than expected be a sign of an inevitable (overdue?) youth movement?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#18 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 pm

The New CBA D-League rule regarding 2-way contracts also comes into play.
The introduction of two-way contracts will help the D-League grow
Teams will be able to develop two players in the D-League on two-way contracts, a big step forward in the road towards setting up a true minor league, per the Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski. This change will increase the maximum roster size to 17.

The new rule will allow franchises to keep control of prospects they intend to develop while making sure the players get a bump in salary when they contribute to the parent team. In addition, their D-League salaries are getting a boost.

Currently, top-rated Development League players make $26,000, with the lower-tiered guys netting $19,000. But D-League salaries for players on two-way contracts are expected to more than double into the $50,000-to-$75,000 range, per ESPN’s Marc Stein, making the league more competitive with overseas salaries.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/12/14/13198978/nba-cba-new-details-changes-differences-lockout
jayu70
RealGM

Post#19 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Atlanta Hawks’ NBA D-League to Begin Play in 2017-18 Season in Erie, PA

By Iris Rayburn | January 31, 2017
Twitter
Facebook
Email
NEW YORK, Jan. 31, 2017 – The NBA Development League and the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club announced today that the Hawks’ new NBA D-League team intends to play in Erie, Pennsylvania, for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons. The team will permanently relocate to a newly constructed arena in College Park, Georgia, prior to the 2019-20 season. It was previously announced that Atlanta’s NBA D-League affiliate would make its debut in 2019-20 in College Park.

Atlanta’s NBA D-League affiliate would represent the record 24th NBA D-League team scheduled to play for the 2017-18 season.

http://erie.dleague.nba.com/news/hawks/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Hawks promote Malik Rose to D-League general manager

The Hawks have promoted Malik Rose to general manager of the Erie BayHawks, the team’s NBA Development League affiliate beginning next season. Rose will continue in his role as manager of basketball operations for the Hawks.

The Hawks will take over operations of the Erie franchise for two seasons before it permanently relocates to College Park for the 2019-20 season in a newly constructed arena.

“I’m thankful to Tony Ressler, our ownership team, (coach Mike Budenholzer) and Wes (Wilcox) for trusting me with this great opportunity,” Rose said in a statement released by the Hawks.

“We are pleased to announce Malik as the first general manager of our development league franchise,” Hawks president of basketball operations and head coach Mike Budenholzer said in a statement. “We have been consistent in expressing our belief in the importance of the NBA Development League as we have benefitted greatly from its player and staff development. Malik will do an excellent job setting the foundation of our basketball operations culture and system in Erie.”
myAJC

Thoughts:

1. Congrats to Malik Rose. I enjoyed watching him as a player. And this seems a great opportunity to progress as a front office exec.

2. Mike Budenholzer isn't going anywhere. It's clear his influence his still only expanding in this organization.

Return to Atlanta Hawks