2017 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,575

Re: 2017 NBA Draft 'Strongest In A Decade' 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 am

MaceCase wrote:Wasn't the same superlative thrown around for 2014 draft with talking heads considering it the best draft rivaling the Bron, Melo, Wade draft? As it stands, only Embiid looks like he has a perennial shot at an All Star team so I consider the hype with a mound of caution.

There is a big difference between the way people viewed the 14 draft and this upcoming draft. That draft was really hyped up on its 3 stars, after those 3 even after the first 2 with Embiid's injuries you had a lot of high potential guys but they were very low floor as well. And ya the top 3 guys may not be franchise superstars but all 3 at 21-22 are looking pretty damn good. Embiid looks like a true franchise star if he stays healthy, Wiggins at 20 and 21 is putting up 21 ppg and Parker at 21 looks like he is just going to miss out on his first all star appearance and many think he can easily become a 25/7 type player with really high efficiency.

This upcoming draft has the top tier talent (or at least expected) plus has ridiculous depth. A guy like Jonathan Isaac like Gordon and Exum who were considered high potential guys but low floor as well because of how raw they were, Isaac probably wont go any higher than 8th in this draft and probably wouldve went above both Gordon and Exum in that 14 draft. A guy like TJ Leaf would probably be an easy top 10 pick in almost any draft in the last decade at least. Many mock drafts have him late teens or early 20s. Same goes for a guy like Bam, who would also go top 10 in almost any other draft but might slip out of the lottery in this one. I think this class has 4-5 guys that can make a legit case to be #1, 8-10 guys with legit all star potential and just overall crazy depth reaching to the mid 20s. So when a lot of guys are talking about this draft, its not so much the amount of franchise guys that might be in it, its the crazy depth that it has.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#22 » by MaceCase » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:29 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:Wasn't the same superlative thrown around for 2014 draft with talking heads considering it the best draft rivaling the Bron, Melo, Wade draft? As it stands, only Embiid looks like he has a perennial shot at an All Star team so I consider the hype with a mound of caution.

There is a big difference between the way people viewed the 14 draft and this upcoming draft. That draft was really hyped up on its 3 stars, after those 3 even after the first 2 with Embiid's injuries you had a lot of high potential guys but they were very low floor as well. And ya the top 3 guys may not be franchise superstars but all 3 at 21-22 are looking pretty damn good. Embiid looks like a true franchise star if he stays healthy, Wiggins at 20 and 21 is putting up 21 ppg and Parker at 21 looks like he is just going to miss out on his first all star appearance and many think he can easily become a 25/7 type player with really high efficiency.

This upcoming draft has the top tier talent (or at least expected) plus has ridiculous depth. A guy like Jonathan Isaac like Gordon and Exum who were considered high potential guys but low floor as well because of how raw they were, Isaac probably wont go any higher than 8th in this draft and probably wouldve went above both Gordon and Exum in that 14 draft. A guy like TJ Leaf would probably be an easy top 10 pick in almost any draft in the last decade at least. Many mock drafts have him late teens or early 20s. Same goes for a guy like Bam, who would also go top 10 in almost any other draft but might slip out of the lottery in this one. I think this class has 4-5 guys that can make a legit case to be #1, 8-10 guys with legit all star potential and just overall crazy depth reaching to the mid 20s. So when a lot of guys are talking about this draft, its not so much the amount of franchise guys that might be in it, its the crazy depth that it has.

Noted. So would you agree or disagree with the OP that the Hawks should consider tanking then if there is great value to be had throughout this particular draft class? Because my opinion on the "superlatives" used on draft classes is also coupled with the cost of what it would take to acquire said picks. Going back to the 14' class we agree they are good but still initially well short of the 03' draft they were compared to. If tanking in that draft hasn't necessarily produced franchise changers then surely you'd have to question that strategy in this draft.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,575

Post#23 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:37 pm

MaceCase wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Noted. So would you agree or disagree with the OP that the Hawks should consider tanking then if there is great value to be had throughout this particular draft class? Because my opinion on the "superlatives" used on draft classes is also coupled with the cost of what it would take to acquire said picks. Going back to the 14' class we agree they are good but still initially well short of the 03' draft they were compared to. If tanking in that draft hasn't necessarily produced franchise changers then surely you'd have to question that strategy in this draft.

It's still early but we're starting to see those guys from that draft start to make an impact. Embiid looks legit and Jabari is tearing it up for the Bucks as well, so I think it's a little early to write them off, Embiid is only 22 and Jabari is 21 still.

With all that said I think you guys are too far out to start tanking. Chances are I think you guys are going to be picking late teens or early twenties, chances are one of Bam, Leaf, Ferguson, Diallo (if he enters) or Lydon will be there when you guys pick. Those guys would go late lottery in most drafts so I think you guys can get good value without tanking. If you guys were closer to getting one of the top 5 I would say ya it would be worth tanking. Just too far out, still guys to get excited about though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Is it time to officially revive this thread?

Or is it still too early two-thirds way through the season.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#25 » by ATL Boy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Is it time to officially revive this thread?

Or is it still too early two-thirds way through the season.

I'll sticky it as this year's draft thread.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:45 pm

New mock draft from Bleacher Report sees us taking:

Ivan Rabb (California, PF/C, Sophomore)

...as Paul Millsap is expected to opt out and Ersan Ilysaova, Mike Muscala and Kris Humphries will all become unrestricted free agents.

Ivan Rabb's floor is more attractive than his ceiling, which isn't as high as other bigs who can protect the rim, defend the perimeter or stretch the floor.

But between his tools (6'10" with a 7'2" wingspan) and production (he's averaging 14.6 points and 10.7 rebounds)—which he's earned with advanced post moves, motor and a nose for the ball—Rabb comes off as a low-risk bet to settle into a Tristan Thompson-like supporting role.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#27 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 7:45 pm

SI.com has the Hawks taking:
19. Hawks: Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Germany | Age: 18

I don't know very much about Isaiah Hartenstein, but the Hawks drafting a 7'2" German-American project and grooming him to replace Dwight Howard in three years would be extremely Hawks-ish.

http://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/03/nba-mock-draft-march-madness-tournament-prospect-rankings
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

For the second time this year, Bleacher Report projects Baylor F John Motley to us:

Atlanta Hawks: Johnathan Motley (Baylor, PF/C, Junior)

Johnathan Motley brings an NBA body, length and athleticism to the 4 or 5, depending on whether Atlanta wants to play big or small. One of the draft's top rebounders, Motley has a strong nose for the ball, good hands around the basket, improved post footwork, face-up scoring ability within 15 feet and mid-range touch.

There isn't great upside with Motley, but his tools, production and development suggest his core strengths should translate. Just as the Hawks likely did last year with Taurean Prince, they should buy into Motley's role-player potential.
Here
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#29 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm starting to fall in love with Caleb Swanigan as a potential draft prospect for the Hawks

TJ Leaf, Ivan Rabb, and Miles Bridges are also other good prospects the Hawks can target in the first round.

Caleb is a multi skilled PF with a good inside and outside game that reminds me alot of Millsap, and just like Millsap, he is a dominate rebounder in college.

What is also good about Caleb is that he is also a good free throw shooter, which is usually a good indicator that his 3pt shot will transfer well into the NBA.

The Hawks have lost their identity when they lost Korver's production and the team's 3pt shooting went down. Three years ago, the Hawks were known for their assist and passing and elite 3pt shooting. The Hawks now have lost their 3 point shooting and are no longer considered an elite team. Hawks need to go back to the old formula that worked and just load the team with 3pt shooters at ever position
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

CBS Sports has us taking a Center:
Hawks
Justin Patton, C, Creighton
: Few are better equipped to mold the raw Marcus Camby-like athleticism into a productive two-way center than Mike Budenholzer, who can groom him to take over the starting spot by the time Dwight Howard’s contract ends.
CBSSport.com

Draft Express Scouting Report:
Creighton freshman center Justin Patton: came out of nowhere to emerge as one of the most intriguing big men prospects in college basketball after sitting out last season as a redshirt. The biggest question NBA teams have for the tall, skinny and highly explosive Patton revolves around his toughness, awareness and fundamentals as a rebounder and defender.

He was shooting an outrageous 76% for 2 was even 5/8 from beyond the arc midway through the year. His combination of size, athleticism, budding skill and upside is extremely interesting in the long term. While his frame is still a ways away from being NBA ready, he is already starting to draw quite a few looks from NBA teams and will continue to do so if he keeps producing like this over the next few months.
Draft Express

I like the player. But Bud's track record on young Center prospects with a steep learning curve isn't good.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,030

Post#31 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 am

Drafting old is not a good bet. Low ceiling drafting usually produces mediocre NBA talent. If you're a legitimate contender it can work. A team desperate for talent needs to get the high ceiling guys and give them the time, development and early opportunity that they need to quickly ascend their production curve.

All of the above media picks are older, low ceiling guys. Do you think they send them to the Hawks because they think that's what we need, or because they think that's what the Hawks do?

This team needs a total talent rebuild. They have done a dispicable job with the draft. If Bud can't bring in high ceiling young talent and help them quickly integrate as a productive player, then he needs to fix that or be replaced.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,030

Post#32 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 am

My Hawks fix centers on the draft and FAcy. We need young talent. Starting this offseason I get rid of all expirings, try to move Baze for whatever, Dh for something. Schro needs to go because it's going to take a while for this team to rebuild.

As I said, move Baze and DH and get the best draft position possible. Draft high ceiling, young. FAcy, I bring in three types: young high ceiling, trade bait and player/coach types. I try to up the value of the trade bait FAs and move them for more picks/young players. Player/coaches are there more to help mold the young guys than win, because we are tanking.

This is about a 3 year deal minimum to obtain and develop, then we move on to step 2. Young guys start to move up the win total. We continue the above strategy with draft, trades and FA until we're ready to look for a key FA if necessary. No more hanging to guys too long. Swing them for younger assets and find/develop core peices that might actually have a chance at yearly contention.

There is a time for a team to prioritize the present over long-term but unless you go very far into the offseason and are lined up with talent into the future, it can quickly banrupt the talent
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:40 pm

New mock draft from Bleacher Report sees us taking:

Luke Kennard (Duke, SG, Sophomore)

Having chosen not to extend Tim Hardaway Jr...Luke Kennard makes sense as both insurance and possibly the best player available, after he averaged 19.5 points and made 88 threes as a 2nd year player.

His skeptics will point to limited athleticism, but believers buy into his skills, footwork, basketball IQ and dangerous shooting.

Questions over his defense aren't alarming enough this late in the draft. The Hawks can grab Kennard for offense, particularly his shot-making.
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#35 » by twosevenstreet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm

would you guys do
19 + 31 + 60 for 22 + 27 + 57 + cash?
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:would you guys do
19 + 31 + 60 for 22 + 27 + 57 + cash?

It would need to be a draft day trade, but this seems like a reasonable swap.

So...probably, depending on who's available.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Should the Hawks look to trade up or down the draft?

Should the Hawks trade #19 and #31 to move up the draft and target a player player like TJ Leaf or Lauri Markkanen

Or Should the Hawks trade #19 and move down and get multiple 2nd round pick, like with #33 and #35 of the Magic, so that Budz can draft international players and system players?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Should the Hawks look to trade up or down the draft?

Should the Hawks trade #19 and #31 to move up the draft and target a player player like TJ Leaf or Lauri Markkanen

Or Should the Hawks trade #19 and move down and get multiple 2nd round pick, like with #33 and #35 of the Magic, so that Budz can draft international players and system players?

Great question.

After seeing us miss out on top young stars like Giannis and Dario Saric, guys we had a definitive interest in pre draft, because we failed to move up and select them--I say we we go all out to get a young player we really like. We need to move forward to a new generation of Hawk players.

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:20 am

Jamaaliver wrote:New mock draft from Bleacher Report sees us taking:

Luke Kennard (Duke, SG, Sophomore)

Having chosen not to extend Tim Hardaway Jr...Luke Kennard makes sense as both insurance and possibly the best player available, after he averaged 19.5 points and made 88 threes as a 2nd year player.

His skeptics will point to limited athleticism, but believers buy into his skills, footwork, basketball IQ and dangerous shooting.

Questions over his defense aren't alarming enough this late in the draft. The Hawks can grab Kennard for offense, particularly his shot-making.

I'm really starting to like Luke. I think the Hawks should trade up and target Leaf, but if the Hawks stay at 19, I think Luke would be a good target for the Hawks at 19.

Luke could be a poor man's Devin Booker, or JJ Redick, 12ppg-15ppg and shooting .400 from three
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks