2017-18 season and contracts

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,023

Re: 2017-18 season and contracts 

Post#21 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

I'd like to see a strategy like this going forward:

Before deadline trade all expirings possible for young upside players and / or picks. We could see something like:

DH / Sap / Thabo for Val / Ross / Carroll / Poeltl / two 2017 firsts / exp

This is just an example as Sap and DH would likly be moved separately. We would sorta tank this season to a #10 type pick. The roster before draft and FAcy would look like:

Val / Poeltl
? / ?
Ross / Prince / Carroll
Baze / Bembry
Schro / Delaney

We have 8 rotation players and another nice young piece in Poeltl. We have draft picks #10, 25, 26 and seconds

In FA I look to grab a nice YOUNG guy like N Noel (example). I look for young guys that we can sign, develop and keep / trade

Next years rotation

Val / Poltl
Noel / #10 / Moose
Ross / Prince / Carroll
Baze / Bembry / #26
Schro / Delaney / #25

Do something with the seconds maybe sign anther young vet to play / develop / trade. Let them and Bud fight for a PO seed.

Keep trading guys like Carroll, Ross, Baze, Val as young guys develop. move them before the end of their deals after Bud has pumped up their value. We are not going to have a top payroll. Got to find a way to stay competitive while maintaining the ability to circulate vets out for younger guys to develop. This is a competitive model I can believe in.

We've been remaining competitive, but wasting resources. We've waited too long to move players that left anyway and at the end of this season we are going to hit a roster wall.

In my senario, we deffinately step back this season, but next season's roster would have a chance to get a playoff spot and have much more upside
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Re: 2017-18 season and contracts 

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:49 pm

This kid on this contract seems like a solid bargain:

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Houston Rockets could use K.J. McDaniels in a trade before the deadline.
The Rockets were gauging the trade value of Corey Brewer at one point, but he's since moved back ahead of McDaniels in the rotation of Mike D'Antoni.
McDaniels signed a three-year, $10 million contract with the Rockets in the 2015 offseason.
Here

I'd gladly move that newly acquired Cavs pick for a shot with this kid.

NOTE: This is where wasted trade chips like Edy Tavares or Bebe come into play. As a solid prospect on minimal contracts, they could have been included in a package to sweeten a smaller deal.

Even Adreian Payne fetched a conoditional pick in return.

Ryan Kelly provided no on-court benefit for us. Austin Daye provided no on-court benefit for us. John Salmons provided no on-court benefit for us.But tossing away assets hurts us long term...

Return to Atlanta Hawks