ImageImage

It's official: Travis Schlenk Named as GM (and PBO)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How'd Ressler and co. do on the GM Hire?

Great Job! Knocked it out of the park
69%
Too soon to say
31%
This is far from an ideal hire
No votes

Total votes: 13

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: It's official: Travis Schlenk Named as GM 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 1, 2017 3:31 pm

Sporting News offers five biggest questions facing the new GM on his first official day of employment.

Here are the five most pressing questions Travis Schlenk must answer:

1. Who are the Atlanta Hawks?
When coach Mike Budenholzer first came to Hawks, his team wowed fans with his “pace and space” style.

This past season, the Hawks struggled to find an identity, and it showed in the playoff series loss against the Wizards. Which brings us to question two ...

2. How does Dwight Howard fit?
Dwight did average a solid 13.5 points and 12.7 rebounds per game during the regular season.

He also had his fewest number of blocks...Howard is almost a liability with his inability to guard the 3-point line. He also causes his team's offense to become stagnant with his traditional back-to-the-basket style.

So the question is this: does an analog player work in the digital era of the NBA?

3. If Paul Millsap doesn’t stay, what do you do?
...Millsap's a quiet but strong veteran presence, and you know exactly what you're getting every single game. Good luck trying to replace him if he walks away.

4. Do you keep re-sign Tim Hardaway Jr.?
Hardaway averaged a career-high 14.5 points on the season. He improved exponentially and will command a hefty salary. Paying him could limit other options, but losing him takes away precious points. If you think Prince — who is a better defender — can step up, then maybe you can let THJ go. If not, you have to pay the piper.

5. Will Dennis Schroder be the man?
Schroder battled John Wall with varying degrees of success in the playoffs, but he definitely battled. However, during his first season as a starter, he had the sixth-most turnovers in the NBA. On top of that, Schroder had a few disciplinary issues. So, is Schroder the guy who looked like an elite PG against one of the best in the league?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 1, 2017 5:08 pm

More PR stuff featuring the new man in charge--

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#23 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 9:46 pm

If Schlenk follows Ressler's path, I'll be much less impressed.

I'm wondering if they won't continue the fake rebuild and continue to bring in 40 win band-aids while making inconsequential rebuild moves. The ol' fake rebuild: Teague for Prince when still playing win now. KK for a late first strengthenong the main competition when we're supposedly playing win now. BS strategy that I don't want to see our new GM continue
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 2, 2017 5:37 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

1. Good to hear. :clap:

2. Despite all the noise Ressler made weeks ago about him having final say, I absolutely believe this.

Going by what he's done, not what he's said. He's followed the adage that most senior business leaders follow. Hiring good people and letting them make the big decisions. Then holding them accountable for what comes next.

I love it. And I'm a lot more confident seeing what Ressler (and G Hill) have done the last month -- after that ridiculous, rambling, nonsensical first interview.

Again, I look forward to critiquing every move and statement we make for the next few years. Hopefully, he last longer than his predecessors.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:02 pm

Radio interview notes (he was on 92.9):
First order of business - get with the front office mentioned Sund, Treloar and Peterson (not Wilcox poor guy) and hash out a plan.

Are you a Best Player Available guy - A little bit of both. Early on he tends to be a BPA drafter and then later on with late picks he goes more for need.

Taurean Prince - He thinks the Hawks did a great job with him. Said they were scouting him for #30 last year and the Hawks surprised people by taking him so early, but now all GMs around the league acknowledge that Taurean at the pick was a great choice.

Ceiling for Taurean - Radio host mentioned that he asked Taurean if he thinks he will be an allstar and Prince said "Most definitely". He also asked THJ if he thinks Prince will be an allstar and he said "Definitely". Schlenk said character is going to be real important for us and Taurean is top notch character wise.

Being player friendly - Treat the families with first class. Make the families feel apart of the Hawks family.

Taking a step back to take two steps forward - Certainly an option you can go. You can remain competitive and continue to develop your younger assets while accumulating more assets. Have the flexibility to then acquire an allstar when a team like OKC can't afford someone like Harden. He said he IS NOT A PROPONENT OF BLOWING IT UP.

Hawks fans - Fans want a clear message and they want to know what the plan is going forward. He said the plan is to remain competitive, develop young assets, remain flexible and accumulate assets. Will be better at communicating to fans what the plan is.

More important this free agency: THJ or Millsap? - Didn't answer, but said that both are important.

Thoughts on Schröder - He improved his shooting and his midrange greatly this year. Thinks he is very underrated defensively because he doesn't get steals, but thinks he is a ball hawk. Thinks his deal is very economical.

Players that are "untouchable" in trades - That word is really hard. If CLE calls and says they are tired of LeBron, then he isn't going to reply saying someone is untouchable. He doesn't like that word.

Day one priority - Let Bud know that we are in this together and are partners. They won't do well unless they both work together. He isn't successful unless Bud is. He has no doubt that they will have a strong working relationship going forward.

Final say on roster - It is going to be a collaboration. Doesn't help to bring a guy in that Bud doesn't want. Ultimately the "buck" stops with him, but he will definitely be partners with Bud.

What he learned from Jerry West - Learned to be direct and honest with people.

What he learned from Bob Myers - His ability to develop relationships. Myers came in as an agent and understood the importance of relationships. Relationships matter.

Dwight Howard's season - He has texted with Dwight, but hasn't had the opportunity to talk with him. Thinks Dwight was a huge part of the Hawks' defense last year. Still a very big physical presence. Those guys are hard to find and "we have him here to be that rock of our defense."
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 2, 2017 6:21 pm

jayu70 wrote:Radio interview notes (he was on 92.9):

This is pretty in-depth. Well done.

The statements on Dennis seem pretty middle of the road. That's pretty telling when dealing with a young, flawed, divisive player.

I just want better asset management. Letting three top rated PFs just disappear on us in a 5-year span (without getting anything in return) is ridiculously bad.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#28 » by MaceCase » Fri Jun 2, 2017 7:07 pm

Taking a step back to take two steps forward - Certainly an option you can go. You can remain competitive and continue to develop your younger assets while accumulating more assets. Have the flexibility to then acquire an allstar when a team like OKC can't afford someone like Harden. He said he IS NOT A PROPONENT OF BLOWING IT UP.

Hawks fans - Fans want a clear message and they want to know what the plan is going forward. He said the plan is to remain competitive, develop young assets, remain flexible and accumulate assets. Will be better at communicating to fans what the plan is.

Final say on roster - It is going to be a collaboration. Doesn't help to bring a guy in that Bud doesn't want. Ultimately the "buck" stops with him, but he will definitely be partners with Bud.

Does this look or sound any different than the last regime?
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

The Schlenk Era begins 

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 2, 2017 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

It is important to note that Schlenk’s title includes head of basketball operations. Yes, principal owner Tony Ressler will sign off on major decisions. However, Schlenk was hired with a championship pedigree to continue this franchise’s goal of winning an NBA title.

“Listen, he runs basketball operations,” Ressler told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution when asked if he will have final say in a decision on Millsap. “I did not bring him in here for me to make basketball decisions. I hope that is as clear as I can be. Yes, every ownership has to sign off on numbers, on (salary) caps, on (luxury) tax. Yes, I will sign off on the business. I promise you I did not bring Travis in here so I can make basketball decisions.”
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 2, 2017 7:11 pm

“Free agency comes every year,” Schlenk said of the decision on Millsap, who is eligible for a projected five-year, $205 million deal from the Hawks or a four-year, $152 million deal from another team. “Paul, obviously, is a four-time All-Star. Arguably, the best player on this team. Probably is the best player on this team. That’s going to be a priority. But, for me, right now I’ve got to get with Coach Bud and his staff and my front-office staff and over the next three weeks, we’ve got to hammer out a plan for the future. Certainly, Paul is going to be a priority in that.”

Schlenk said he learned three main keys to success that he intends to bring to the Hawks:

• maintaining roster and salary-cap flexibility
  • accumulating assets and
  • developing your own talent.

Read on Twitter

I have to think that Millsap is a goner from what I've read/heard since Trav's hiring.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 5, 2017 7:30 pm

Travis Schlenk knows what it takes to win a championship.

He's also a realist.

While taking over a team that has made 10 straight playoff appearances, Schlenk also must cope with some major personnel issues and a sense that this is a franchise in decline after a record 60-win campaign in 2014-15, when the Hawks were top seed in the East and reached the conference finals.

After a series of questionable moves, which included the signing of Howard to a three-year, $70.5 million deal and making a four-year, $70 million commitment to former D-League player Kent Bazemore (who lost his starting job late in the season), Ressler stripped Budenholzer of his title as president of basketball operations and demoted general manager Wes Wilcox - who was essentially Budenholzer's top lieutenant - to an advisor role.

This season, Atlanta went 43-39 and was knocked out in the opening round of the playoffs.

Associated Press
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 5, 2017 7:32 pm

Video/audio of the interview Here
jayu70
RealGM

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:11 pm

He was on 680 radio this morning...
Asked about Millsap Free agency:
We’re gonna focus in on that. We value everything Paul brings to the table, what we want build here, he embodies all of that. We will identify what our tolerance is, our threshold for re-signing him.

About Dwight shooting 3s":
Just heard about it myself. If he can do it great, but at least he’s working! We haven’t had any conversations about telling him to shoot 3s.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:About Dwight shooting 3s":
Just heard about it myself. If he can do it great, but at least he’s working!

We haven’t had any conversations about telling him to shoot 3s.

Fantastic pull!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Trav highlights what it took to build a champion in GS. (Pre-Durant)

Hawks GM: Warriors Among Best In NBA History

Travis Schlenk became general manager of the Atlanta Hawks in March, but before that, he spent more than a decade with the Golden State Warriors. Thus, Schlenk, as much as anyone, knows exactly how the Warriors became the juggernaut of the NBA.

So, how was it done?

“Dumb luck I guess is the easy answer,” Schlenk joked on CBS Sports Radio’s Reiter Than You. “No, when I first started in the front office there, it took seven years from that time to when we won our first championship. So you start by getting the right characters in the locker room. You obviously have to get lucky in the draft, which, we were able to get guys like Steph and Klay and Draymond sprinkled seven to 11 all the way to 35.”

“It takes a little bit of luck in the draft because it’s not an exact science,” Schlenk said. “What really started to change the franchise around is when the new ownership group – Joe Lacob and Peter Guber and their group – bought it. We went from a team that was selling draft picks to a team that was buying draft picks. When you have an ownership group that’s invested and willing to put the money in, that really is the building block of a franchise.
CBS Radio

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trav identify a young guy with serious upside and then work furiously to move up and secure him. Thus, laying the groundwork for a great team in the future.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter

There's a level of transparency and straightforwardness out of this regime that is...refreshing. I think.

The skeptic in me wonders if we should be slightly more clandestine in our offseason activities.

The fan in me loves it, though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Read on Twitter

My opinion of Schlenk as GM after a couple of eventful weeks is similar to my first opinion of D Ferry after he made a similar move weeks into his Hawks tenure:

'He is bold, ambitious and clearly has a plan.'

I became less enamored with Ferry over time. But Trav's first major move, like Ferry's, was a necessary one for the long-term development of the franchise.

Kudos to Trav for moving Dwight as quickly as he did.

Jeff Schultz wrote:Howard’s exit is addition by subtraction, similar to when former general manager Danny Ferry dealt the salary-cap crushing Joe Johnson in his first move. Howard had two years and more than $47 million left on his contract, and it was believed trading him would be difficult.

But Schlenk found a way. Point for him.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Jeff Schultz wrote:Wounds in Hawks’ front office may be mending

...while this isn’t a time for grand proclamations about the Hawks’ future or new general manager Travis Schlenk, there have been signs in recent days that they are getting things together. There was calm and confidence in the draft room Thursday night and a seriousness about the future.

Schlenk appears to have unified a front office that too often was fractured with Budenholzer and Wes Wilcox at the helm.

The Hawks’ front office was known to be wound a little tightly under Budenholzer and Wilcox, and even in the short but impressive era under former general manager Danny Ferry. That has changed under Schlenk, who has created a looser atmosphere, which was the norm at Golden State.

“Any time there’s change, there’s always a level of uncertainty,” said Hawks assistant general manager Jeff Peterson, who was among those in the draft room Thursday night. “But give Travis credit: The first thing he did when he got the job was he brought us all together and said, ‘I’m not getting rid of anybody.’ That literally was the first thing he told us. So immediately we all took a deep breath, and we were like, ‘OK, let’s proceed.’”
AJC

Kudos to the new GM for fostering an environment much less tense and toxic than the previous ones.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#39 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:54 pm

stress isn't optimal for clear thinking, good to hear that TS keeps a calm demeanor
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks