ImageImage

Dwight Howard traded to Charlotte Hornets

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Re: Dwight Howard traded to Charlotte Hornets 

Post#21 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:49 am

Hawks improved their cap situation and DH is gone. Hopefully Plumlee can be worked up to a rotation big. It's a step in the right direction. 10 second round slots is the price. Hawks got younger, got two for one and improved long and short-term cap.

How long before CHA regrets? They think they got the best of the deal, but the Dwight factor has yet to be felt.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,417

Post#22 » by Revived » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 am

I don't understand why they didn't salary dump Bazemore instead of Dwight.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

Read on Twitter

The Dwight Howard homecoming lasted one season.

After signing Howard to a three-year, $70.5 million contract as a free agent last year, The Hawks traded the Atlanta native to the Hornets on Tuesday.

“It is extremely important for our organization that we maintain our flexibility and this trade helps us achieve that critical goal,” Schlenk said in a statement. “We appreciate the contributions that Dwight made on the court and in the greater Atlanta community this past season.”

Howard averaged 13.5 points and led the team with 12.7 rebounds per game. The point total was the second-lowest average of Howard’s 13-year career, less than every season but his rookie campaign at 12.0 in 2004-05.

Howard got emotional during his introductory press conference, with Kent Bazemore, in July. The event was held at the William Walker Recreation Center, where Howard played as a youth.

Schlenk said at his own introductory press conference that he believed Howard could work with the Hawks, despite Mike Budenholzer’s pace and space offensive style.

Just one year later, there was no storybook ending for Howard in Atlanta.

Trav Schlenk is absolutely cold-blooded.

And Mike Budenholzer does not properly utilize Centers in his offense.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,494

Re: RE: Re: Dwight Howard traded to Charlotte Hornets 

Post#24 » by dms269 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 am

Revived wrote:I don't understand why they didn't salary dump Bazemore instead of Dwight.

This. Baze looked absolutely horrible out there this season. He has to be the next to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 pm

11 months ago:

Dwight Howard cries at Hawks introductory press conference

Hawks center Dwight Howard couldn’t help but tear up at his introductory press conference on Wednesday.

Meeting the media for the first time as a member of the Hawks, Howard began to discuss being back in Atlanta, and starting a “new beginning.” He then mentioned that he would share the moment with his family, and began to cry.
Here

:cry: What a difference a year makes.

The RealGM history of Dwight as an Atlanta Hawk:
Hawks to pursue Dwight Howard in Free Agency?!?
Dwight Howard signs with the Hawks for 3 years/70.5 mill
Hawks intro PC for Dwight
Could a DS - D12 pairing be a poor fit?
How will Dwight Howard fit into Budenholzer’s offense?
The Redemption of Dwight Howard
The Dwightmare has begun in Atlanta
Dwight working on his 3 point shot?????
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 pm

The lowdown from around the interwebs...
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#27 » by reazun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm

face it guys..this was not a good trade. It was bad imo

We got more cap space this year..but by trading a good (not great but good) starter with a bad contract for a bench player/possible scrub who also has a,.... bad contract.

We get Belinilli who is just Belinilli...serviceable dime a dozen player...okay but why do we have to move down ten spots in the deepest draft in years.

I am not feeling very positive about this move..but we have more flexibility in a free deep free agent pool..If we do not get MORE space and then use that flexibility this year to add on a good piece..this was a waste of a good starter.

I am not saying that the capspace is not good for this year..but if we were shopping Dwight. we could have gotten more than another bad contract, a drop in a deep draft and the most average guard in the NBA..am I just being pessimistic?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#28 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm

nymets1 wrote:How do the Hawks fans on here feel about the trade? I haven't seen an approve or disapprove yet.

I'm totally okay with this trade IF this helps the Hawks sign 1 or 2 quality free agents.

But if the Hawks are not able to land anybody good in free agency, then i'm going to be very upset.
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#29 » by reazun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:56 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:How do the Hawks fans on here feel about the trade? I haven't seen an approve or disapprove yet.

I'm totally okay with this trade IF this helps the Hawks sign 1 or 2 quality free agents.

But if the Hawks are not able to land anybody good in free agency, then i'm going to be very upset.

Yes...I agree. trying to be optimistic. If the flexiblity in cap gets us FA..then this is a good trade imo also
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#30 » by jayu70 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Revived wrote:I don't understand why they didn't salary dump Bazemore instead of Dwight.

The cost to dump would be higher, a better asset than pick #31. I still hope we move him.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#31 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 pm

reazun wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

Yes...I agree. trying to be optimistic. If the flexiblity in cap gets us FA..then this is a good trade imo also

A few years ago the Hawks let Josh Smith walk and ended up using the cap to get Millsap (and DeMarre Carroll), so basically they traded Josh for All-Star Millsap...

Can something like that happen again this year?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#32 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:16 pm

If you didn't give up 31 maybe it'll make some sense, with the pick in the trade is a loss even if Dwight had to go, better to just waive him honestly.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Fischella wrote:If you didn't give up 31 maybe it'll make some sense, with the pick in the trade is a loss even if Dwight had to go, better to just waive him honestly.

Very good point. This sentiment is a popular one among NBA pundits:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#35 » by MaceCase » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Fischella wrote:If you didn't give up 31 maybe it'll make some sense, with the pick in the trade is a loss even if Dwight had to go, better to just waive him honestly.

There has to be an incentive in a salary dump and people are framing it as if the Hawks didn't receive a pick in return. Waiving Dwight does nothing, no cap savings, no players, and you get to watch him go sign to Golden State or Cleveland for the vet minimum while the Hawks still subsidize his 47 mil owed.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#36 » by No-Man » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 pm

MaceCase wrote:

There has to be an incentive in a salary dump and people are framing it as if the Hawks didn't receive a pick in return. Waiving Dwight does nothing, no cap savings, no players, and you get to watch him go sign to Golden State or Cleveland for the vet minimum while the Hawks still subsidize his 47 mil owed.

it's always more about years than $ in terms of been a factor in free agency, this move saves ownership more money, I couldn't care less about that as a fan, if Plumlee was a expiring sure, he has 3 years left in a terrible contract.

you got no real savings that are gonna be impactful and you sure as heck got no real players.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#37 » by MaceCase » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Fischella wrote:
MaceCase wrote:

it's always more about years than $ in terms of been a factor in free agency, this move saves ownership more money, I couldn't care less about that as a fan, if Plumlee was a expiring sure, he has 3 years left in a terrible contract.

you got no real savings that are gonna be impactful and you sure as heck got no real players.

You're not making sense, you need cap space to be a factor in free agency and trades. You can sign a player to a 30 year contract worth $30 million and that isn't as restrictive as a 1 year $30 million contract, so no, you are incorrect in stating the years matter more than the money.

Waiving Dwight doesn't save the Hawks any money or free up their cap. This trade shaves off close to 5 mil this year and 11 mil next year. That allows the Hawks flexibility now rather than having to wait 2 years. A 12 million dollar contract is also drastically more movable than a 23 million one.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Post#38 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Hawks mistake was signing DH, not dumping him. I'm sure Schlenk chose the best offer. No one wants DH.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#39 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:01 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Hawks mistake was signing DH, not dumping him. I'm sure Schlenk chose the best offer. No one wants DH.

Completely agreed. This is a case of Schlenk cleaning up the mess Bud/Wilcox made, and it costing us an asset and having to take on a bad contract to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 pm

duplicate

Return to Atlanta Hawks