McDyess: Horford's a grown man, not a rookie anymore

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

McDyess: Horford's a grown man, not a rookie anymore 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 pm

While many of his Hawks teammates were jetting off to Cabo San Lucas and other exotic destinations, Al Horford was making his way to New Orleans on Thursday. That's the site of the 57th NBA All-Star Weekend.

An island native, the Dominican-born and bred Horford enjoys the beach as much as anyone. But he relishes the idea of spending the weekend at the epicenter of the basketball world.

Horford will play in the Rookie Challenge Friday, a game pitting the league's top rookies against second-year stars.

"I can't lie," Horford said grinning after practice this week, "I can't wait to get to New Orleans. You watch All-Star Weekend growing up, the slam dunk contest and all of that stuff, so to be a part of it now, even just a little part, that's as good a feeling as you could have. I'm going to soak it all in and do my best to enjoy it to the fullest."

If the first half of his rookie season is any indication, Horford could spend more All-Star Weekends in a uniform rather than shorts and sandals.

"He's a grown man already," veteran Detroit forward and one-time All-Star Antonio McDyess said after Horford worked the Pistons for 12 points and 16 rebounds in a loss Tuesday at Philips Arena. "And he's no rookie, not anymore."

"I knew coming in it would be a process trying to get to and play consistently at a higher level," Horford said. "But I feel like if you take care of your business and make sure your focus is on winning, everything else falls into place. It's been an adjustment, no doubt. But really, I've been fine with everything."

So fine that Horford has avoided many of the pitfalls that can derail a rookie season. He hasn't so much as asked for directions around town. His transition has been so seamless, his teammates have to remind themselves that Horford is indeed a rookie.

"I wouldn't normally call a rookie 'Big Al,' but he's earned his nickname and everything else this year," veteran Hawks center Lorenzen Wright said. "You can't take anything from him. He's earned all the love he's getting. And he should be getting more.

"I hear these people talking about [Seattle's Kevin] Durant winning Rookie of the Year, and I'm trying to figure out what NBA people have been watching when they say that. Because in my mind, Big Al should have that [honor] locked up already."

Link
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#2 » by High 5 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:12 pm

Next to Josh Smith, (in the words of Steve Smith) this is THE ONE guy that the Hawks should lock up forever. Especially if by chance he's ever able to move to PF. I can only dream of him playing there with a solid 7 footer beside him.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 pm

High 5 wrote:Next to Josh Smith, (in the words of Steve Smith) this is THE ONE guy that the Hawks should lock up forever. Especially if by chance he's ever able to move to PF. I can only dream of him playing there with a solid 7 footer beside him.

Exactly.

Sadly enough it's probably never going to happen. If the ASG does one thing right, it would be wise of them to lock Al up, and not let him hit the market like Josh Smith.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: 

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 pm

HMFFL wrote:
High 5 wrote:Next to Josh Smith, (in the words of Steve Smith) this is THE ONE guy that the Hawks should lock up forever. Especially if by chance he's ever able to move to PF. I can only dream of him playing there with a solid 7 footer beside him.

Exactly.

Sadly enough it's probably never going to happen. If the ASG does one thing right, it would be wise of them to lock Al up, and not let him hit the market like Josh Smith.

HMFFL, can you believe it's been 6 years now, and we still haven't acquired a decent 7-footer at center to play next to AL?

Three GMs all making the same decision, despite Al's pleading...

Return to Atlanta Hawks