ImageImageImage

Trade Winds: The 2015 Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Re: Trade Winds: The 2015 Trade Thread 

Post#1501 » by rickrolled » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 pm

Remove the Mavs pick, and Young and i'm down. Replace Young with PJ3. Deal can't be done until sep 24 when Lee's salary can be aggregated. So right before training camp.

NYK gets: Lee, Turner, KO,PJ3, Celtics 2016 1st, philly 2016 2nd

BOS gets: Melo
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1502 » by Edug27 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:He's a worse shooter from 3 than Bradley on his career. Again, he has zero handle, at least as bad as AB, and the stats bear it out - an awful assist rate, A/TO ratio, and he gets to the FT line even less than Bradley so have no clue why you think he attacks the glass more. About the best you can say about McLemore is that he is taller and younger than AB, so there's hope that he develops some of his athleticism into actual skills.

Agree to disagree my friend. In a few years, I believe Mclemores prime will be better than Avery's.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but right now McLemore has shown nothing that's at an even average NBA level except shooting a bunch of three's at a mediocre clip. You claim he attacks the rim and makes plays but he never gets to the FT line or picks up assists. He's either the unluckiest guy out there or he just isn't very good at what you say he is good at.

1. In his second NBA season he avg'd more FT attempts than Bradley did in any of his 4 seasons. He got to the line more as the season went on. No reason to think he won't improve on that.
2. I said he attacks the rim better than Bradley does. Pressey also attacked the paint better than Bradley. So I guess that's not saying much.
3. Assist also come from the offense your teams run. Neither player is Rondo. Both will be career 2-3 assist per game players at best. Not sure why you keep bringing that up.
4. I also think Mclemore would be a better trade chip going forward. Frankly because I think he's an all around better offensive player than Bradley.
5. IMO Avery has peaked. I don't think it'll take much for Mclemore to match Bradleys production. So it's a lose-lose if Mclemore doesn't break out.

Again, its not worth debating. It's all preference here. We clearly have different ones.
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1503 » by Edug27 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:31 pm

rickrolled wrote:Remove the Mavs pick, and Young and i'm down. Replace Young with PJ3. Deal can't be done until sep 24 when Lee's salary can be aggregated. So right before training camp.

I don't even want any of those players or picks you are giving to NY and I'm a homer.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1504 » by ddb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:35 pm

rickrolled wrote:Remove the Mavs pick, and Young and i'm down. Replace Young with PJ3. Deal can't be done until sep 24 when Lee's salary can be aggregated. So right before training camp.

They would want my package minimum. No doubt about it. Your package isn't enough. If Smart/BK picks are out of the deal then Young, Mavs and C's picks would have to be there.

Melo would fit in seamlessly with our team and I think Brad Stevens is the type of wonder boy coach that could maximize and get through to Carmelo. Melo's skill-set is exactly what this team needs. And for those of the posters that are anti-Melo and think he's a selfish player, you really need to look further into it. Melo has proven himself on the Olympic stage playing with star players. He's not selfish..He's actually a solid team player...he just hasn't been in the type of situation where he can consistently play team basketball. On the Knicks, and dating back to the Nuggs he was ASKED to be a high volume scorer...He's been coached that way. But on a where motion and ball movement is critical on offense,he would thrive. And whenever things break down, he and IT are guys that can create something out of thin air. You need that...
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1505 » by Edug27 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38 pm

ddb wrote:

They would want my package minimum. No doubt about it. Your package isn't enough. If Smart/BK picks are out of the deal then Young, Mavs and C's picks would have to be there.

Melo would fit in seamlessly with our team and I think Brad Stevens is the type of wonder boy coach that could maximize and get through to Carmelo. Melo's skill-set is exactly what this team needs. And for those of the posters that are anti-Melo and think he's a selfish player, you really need to look further into it. Melo has proven himself on the Olympic stage playing with star players. He's not selfish..He's actually a solid team player...he just hasn't been in the type of situation where he can consistently play team basketball. On the Knicks, and dating back to the Nuggs he was ASKED to be a high volume scorer...He's been coached that way. But on a where motion and ball movement is critical on offense,he would thrive. And whenever things break down, he and IT are guys that can create something out of thin air. You need that...

Couldn't agree more. You get Melo for that package, then I think your one more really good piece away from giving the Cavs a run for their money in the East finals.
5salmon
Sophomore
And1: 29

Trade Winds: The 2015 Trade Thread 

Post#1506 » by 5salmon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:29 am

I still feel like the Lawson deal was a missed opportunity, could have easily beat the rockets deal and he unguaranteed the second year of his deal... So if he turns cancerous, he can be bogans'd, and/or used as an expiring deal in a trade...

Who would u rather? Goran and pj3 or Lawson?

I don't even care about positions when it comes to this deal... It's a paper clip move

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#1507 » by mwhis21 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:59 am

ddb wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Here is my Melo deal. In addition to the players involved, we would also need to send them 2016 own 1st and 2016 Mavs 1st. Maybe a 2nd rounder as well

Smart & BK picks remain in our possession, and rightfully so. If Melo was 28 NYK would get more...But he's 31 so this is the furthest I'd go.

Smart-Bradley-Melo-Sully-Amir
IT-Hunter-Crowder-Jonas-Zeller
Rozier-Dragic-PJones-Mickey

Leaves us a roster spot to sign Jonathan Holmes

We could finish games with IT-Smart-Crowder-Melo-Amir....I love that

I love this team. Plus, Danny keeps the BK picks and still has some roster flexibility to make trades & chase Free agents. would be a big step up the East standings this year with the potential to make 1 additional move or 2 to set us up for contention

Lee/Turner are expiring. KO/Young the young players plus own 1st and Mavs 1st and Philly 2nd. Decent turn around for NY for a max star on wrong side of 30

There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of incentive for the Knicks to do your deal, or any of the other deals I've seen here. If Smart, and/or BKN picks aren't involved what do the Knicks stand to gain? If anything, in this situation, NYK is dealing from a position of strength. Melo will still sell tickets and merchandise, and they can continue trying to put pieces around him while he's in his prime. The money is nothing to them.

The C's are very obviously hunting a star. Any team dealing with the C's, given the assets they have, should be trying to force the C's to pay a premium.

We're not getting Melo for mid-round 1st round picks.

The NBA is going through this interesting period where the Top 10 or so teams have a real difference maker type player (they aren't trading stars), or two depending on the team, the bottom 5 teams are totally bottoming out (we don't seem to want to trade for a project), and the rest of teams have some great to tantalizing prospects, but are still a couple of years from potentially growing into that difference maker (They aren't ready to deal those people yet)

It leaves the C's with limited teams that may be willing to deal...the KG opportunity was such a perfect storm. I'm not sure if Melo can be had, but it's costing to cost Smart or some combo of BKN picks, or maybe both.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1508 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 am

Knicks are starved for picks. Mavs pick will be late lottery in all likelihood. Ours will be late teens. That is way better than they have now. The thing is, I don't think they will get better offers than this. They are not in a position of strength, Melo has one foot out the door and is already grumbling. He is 31 not 27, he isn't going to be around when the Knicks complete the rebuild, he knows that and so does Pjax. The longer they wait the longer they delay pressing the reset button (which they so desperately need to do) and the lower Melo's value will be since he isn't getting any younger.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1509 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 am

ParticleMan wrote:Knicks are starved for picks. Mavs pick will be late lottery in all likelihood. Ours will be late teens. That is way better than they have now. The thing is, I don't think they will get better offers than this. They are not in a position of strength, Melo has one foot out the door and is already grumbling. He is 31 not 27, he isn't going to be around when the Knicks complete the rebuild, he knows that and so does Pjax. The longer they wait the longer they delay pressing the reset button (which they so desperately need to do) and the lower Melo's value will be since he isn't getting any younger.

Not a fan of Melo at all but I agree with this. I doubt the Knicks' additions of Afflalo, Lopez and O'Quinn are enough to make them any better than a playoff bubble team (love R. Lopez though). The only good Knicks team Melo has ever been on was three years ago, and that team was knocked out in the second round by a superior Pacers team.

If Danny really feels he's worth it, and the price is reasonable, I suppose you can do it. I honestly think Melo is an awful fit for this team (due to the culture of toughness and defense DA and Stevens are building), but who knows, maybe he'll buy in.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1510 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am

That said, Boogie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melo
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1511 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:That said, Boogie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melo

Trading for Melo does not eliminate the possibility of acquiring Cousins.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#1512 » by 165bows » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:40 am

ParticleMan wrote:Knicks are starved for picks. Mavs pick will be late lottery in all likelihood. Ours will be late teens. That is way better than they have now. The thing is, I don't think they will get better offers than this. They are not in a position of strength, Melo has one foot out the door and is already grumbling. He is 31 not 27, he isn't going to be around when the Knicks complete the rebuild, he knows that and so does Pjax. The longer they wait the longer they delay pressing the reset button (which they so desperately need to do) and the lower Melo's value will be since he isn't getting any younger.

Funny thing is, teams that would want to get in on a trade for him are way down in trade assets. Phoenix shipped off a Lakers lotto pick, Houston has very few picks to trade and most of their young guys are RFA, Chicago had that Charlotte pick that didn't pan out much.

My first thought is why would they trade him cheap, but they did practically give away Tyson Chandler to tank last year. Maybe he forces his way out next summer or something.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#1513 » by illmatic24 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I don't know what it is with the Melo obsession on this board. I see trade ideas for him every time I come here. The Knicks are not trading Melo this season. It's a waste of time to even discuss it. They have a crazy fanbase. They want to compete as soon as possible. Even if they suck again this year and get a top 3 pick, they'll probably think about making the playoffs with that top pick and Melo next year. They are not trading him and doing a long term youth movement in New York. The only way they might trade him would be next offseason if they're stuck with a mid to late lottery pick.

Even if they did trade him and didn't mind trading him to the rival Celtics, he would probably be about 33 years old by the time the Celtics surrounded him with another great player or two. He is not what the Celtics need. If they're going to go after a big time player, get one who is in his mid to late 20's at least. Please, for the love of baby jesus, can we have less Melo talk? :( Not trying to sound like the thread police but it's just so pointless.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,887

Post#1514 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:14 pm

illmatic24 wrote:I don't know what it is with the Melo obsession on this board. I see trade ideas for him every time I come here. The Knicks are not trading Melo this season. It's a waste of time to even discuss it. They have a crazy fanbase. They want to compete as soon as possible. Even if they suck again this year and get a top 3 pick, they'll probably think about making the playoffs with that top pick and Melo next year. They are not trading him and doing a long term youth movement in New York. The only way they might trade him would be next offseason if they're stuck with a mid to late lottery pick.

Even if they did trade him and didn't mind trading him to the rival Celtics, he would probably be about 33 years old by the time the Celtics surrounded him with another great player or two. He is not what the Celtics need. If they're going to go after a big time player, get one who is in his mid to late 20's at least. Please, for the love of baby jesus, can we have less Melo talk? :( Not trying to sound like the thread police but it's just so pointless.

Doesn't matter. Celtics are not getting Melo or Cousins. It's the summer, let people have their fun.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1515 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:00 pm

illmatic24 wrote:I don't know what it is with the Melo obsession on this board. I see trade ideas for him every time I come here. The Knicks are not trading Melo this season. It's a waste of time to even discuss it. They have a crazy fanbase. They want to compete as soon as possible. Even if they suck again this year and get a top 3 pick, they'll probably think about making the playoffs with that top pick and Melo next year. They are not trading him and doing a long term youth movement in New York. The only way they might trade him would be next offseason if they're stuck with a mid to late lottery pick.

Agree with Melo not being the answer to anything for Boston.

Disagree with people in July not being allowed to talk about anything, sense theres already nothing to talk about.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#1516 » by Banks2Pierce » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:02 pm

illmatic24 wrote:The Knicks are not trading Melo this season.

He may not be on the block right now, but the Knicks are going to be blatantly awful again in December and he will be.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,575

Post#1517 » by lon3lytoaster » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:02 pm

On the fence about how I'd feel about Melo. Don't really see us having the pieces left over to build a contender after aquiring him and he by himself doesn't put us over the top.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1518 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:22 pm

i'd only support getting him if we don't include IT, smart, rozier, or any BKN picks. so basically nothing we can't replace.

not sure that would get it done but that's what i would be willing to give up. i do think it would come close.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#1519 » by Red2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Melo to the Cavs for Love makes more sense than any of our proposed deals. Personally I don't want Melo. I think he's aprima donna and he doesn't play defense. He is also injury prone and on the down side of his career. A guy like Barnes makes sense as does Love but not Melo. WInslow could have been the new paul pierce but its way too early to tell if he's going to have that kind of a career. I don't fault danny for going after him even though the price was high.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,868

Post#1520 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 pm

One injury prone prima donna who doesn't play defense (Mello) for another injury prone prima donna who doesn't play defense (Love) probably makes sense for both teams.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics