ImageImageImage

Celtics eyeing Italian forward Gigi Datome for next season

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Re: Celtics eyeing Italian forward Gigi Datome for next seas 

Post#46 » by ermocrate » Sun Jun 9, 2013 11:17 pm

BadWolf wrote:Strange rumor. If he get more in Europe, then he's not any good. 500k $ is 200k real money contract in Europe. Which is really low anyone good.

In fact I think He is not coming for that kind of money... You have, at last, use a couple of million to sign him...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,268

Post#47 » by tfmiii » Sun Jun 9, 2013 11:30 pm

ermocrate wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Strange rumor. If he get more in Europe, then he's not any good. 500k $ is 200k real money contract in Europe. Which is really low anyone good.

In fact I think He is not coming for that kind of money... You have, at last, use a couple of million to sign him...

I would have thought so, can you parse the Italian article for us who are not fluent?
http://www.notizie.it/basket-datome-sba ... n-celtics/

As Sully points out it makes a three year minimum makes no sense

and a minimum deal makes no sense period

and now we have denials from Gigi via twitter that he has any deal in place:

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/seri ... ltics.html
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 59,159

Post#48 » by Froob » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 am

I don't think the denial means much, a lot of guys deny until deals are complete. Such as DeAngelo Hall who said the rumor about him going to the raiders was completely untrue and then he got sent there with a new contract hours later lol...yeah interested to see how this goes. Could be a big pickup.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,887

Post#49 » by 165bows » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 am

No idea if he is coming here or not, but he's got some range: 43% and 39% from 3 the last two years, averaging around 4 a game.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Lui ... 263/stats/
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#50 » by ermocrate » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm

tfmiii wrote:
ermocrate wrote:

I would have thought so, can you parse the Italian article for us who are not fluent?
http://www.notizie.it/basket-datome-sba ... n-celtics/

As Sully points out it makes a three year minimum makes no sense

and a minimum deal makes no sense period

and now we have denials from Gigi via twitter that he has any deal in place:

http://www.sportando.net/eng/italy/seri ... ltics.html

The most important extract is this:

Datome firmerà con la squadra del Massachusetts un triennale da 490.180 di dollari, lordi. Il numero 13 di Roma per le regole NBA è un rookie ed è free-agent, quindi può firmare per qualsiasi squadra, ma non è necessariamente condizionato dai limiti salariali vincolati agli anni di esperienza NBA (nel suo caso zero). I Celtics, però, hanno già impegnati 73 milioni di dollari per la prossima stagione e di conseguenza non potranno offrirgli più del minimo salariale che è appunto di 490.180 dollari lordi, circa la metà netti. Datome quest’anno ha guadagnato 250.000 euro netti. Quindi in sostanza va a guadagnare la stessa cifra ma in NBA, a meno che i Celtics non investano su di lui l’eccezione al salary cap, ipotesi improbabile.
L’azzurro rinuncerà al suo ultimo anno di contratto con Roma, dove avrebbe guadagnato il doppio di quest’anno, facendo così un investimento su se stesso, nella speranza di una lunga carriera negli U.S.A.

It means:

Datome will sign a 3yrs deal worth $490.180(per year) with the frachise from Massachusets. The #13 from Rome it's a rookie and a freeagent by NBA rules so he can sign for any team but is not conditioned from salary limitations imposed from the NBA's years of experience. The Celtics already have 73mill of salaries so they can only sign minimum contracts. This year Datome earned 250.000 euros (330.000$) after tax. Basically he is goin to earn the same salary but in the NBA, unless the Celtics don't use a salary exception on him, unlikely. The "Azzurro" will renounce to the last year of his deal with Rome, worth 500.000 after tax, betting on himself and in a long career in USA.

I don't know it's a stupid move for me, I'll do that because I'm a C's fan but I wouldn't renounce to a lot of money for such a long deal, he should go to some rich European team and earn 1/2 millions and then go to NBA with an higher salary. I don't think you can live that far from you country with that type of money, at least pick up a shorter deal.
Egregiousness
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#51 » by Egregiousness » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:26 am

for minimum? hell yes. but i dont see this happening.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,887

Post#52 » by 165bows » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 am

Interesting Erm, thanks for the translation. Maybe the last two years are options of some sort that haven't been reported.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,717

Post#53 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:10 pm

So that makes some more sense. He is only going to make $500,000 in Italy. So he can come to the NBA and get 1.2 mil over 2 years and then be a an RFA. Maybe he can even get the 2nd year as a player option like Stiemsma did. It is probably more important for him to go to a good situation where he has a chance to get minutes as it is to get a little bit of money. If he is coming to the NBA it is for the chance to earn a lot of money.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#54 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 pm

sully00 wrote:So that makes some more sense. He is only going to make $500,000 in Italy. So he can come to the NBA and get 1.2 mil over 2 years and then be a an RFA. Maybe he can even get the 2nd year as a player option like Stiemsma did. It is probably more important for him to go to a good situation where he has a chance to get minutes as it is to get a little bit of money. If he is coming to the NBA it is for the chance to earn a lot of money.

But the only chance he has to get minutes here is if PP is gone...
Egregiousness
Rookie
And1: 377

Post#55 » by Egregiousness » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:47 pm

he looks a bit like a more athletic belineli and can create his own shot
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#56 » by ermocrate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 pm

sully00 wrote:So that makes some more sense. He is only going to make $500,000 in Italy. So he can come to the NBA and get 1.2 mil over 2 years and then be a an RFA. Maybe he can even get the 2nd year as a player option like Stiemsma did. It is probably more important for him to go to a good situation where he has a chance to get minutes as it is to get a little bit of money. If he is coming to the NBA it is for the chance to earn a lot of money.

Right now he is making $550,000 (by NBA standards) next year he would be earning $1,1mill in italy..
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#57 » by ermocrate » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Egregiousness wrote:he looks a bit like a more athletic belineli and can create his own shot

He is 2/3 inches taller than Belinelli
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 pm

GreenMachine wrote:

I don't know about that he will be playing someone's mins but Pierce can play with anyone. But if Pierce was coming back I think we would we know about or at least Doc would know about by now.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#59 » by GreenMachine » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm

sully00 wrote:
GreenMachine wrote:

I don't know about that he will be playing someone's mins but Pierce can play with anyone. But if Pierce was coming back I think we would we know about or at least Doc would know about by now.

The problem is a guy names Jeff Green. If PP is back there are not enough minutes for all three of them to get significant minutes. If this Gigi is ok with being an end of the bench guy... sure, otherwise it only makes sense if PP is gone and Gigi is Green's primary backup.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Your making the big assumption that Green is not going to play mins at the 4 and that Pierce and Gigi wouldn't be able to play mins at the 2.

Boston had some pretty terrible production at the SG spot last season that has to change no matter who is playing there.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#61 » by BfB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Listen, Pierce isn't going to be here next year and Boston has plenty of minutes for 3 players to cover SG/SF. Green/Pierce played both over the 2nd half of the season and I believe that's Boston's intention this year - more "big" wing combos - which Gigi would work well in...as would Shabazz.

Say goodnight folks. Pierce/KG aren't coming back. There's no deal to add another 1st/2nd option scorer to the current core and that is the ONLY way keeping the two works in any version of reality. The team is working to figure out the best way to re-tool with a young core who is still competitive - ala Philly, Mil, Hou...they're not looking to go to lotto-land, they're simply figuring out how to get a solid base of assets to valuate in a playoff environment, if possible.

If Ainge can get the right return on his pieces, there'll be a fun, non-championhsip-but-growing team that will keep the Celtics a popular market for players and increase the value of the individual talents for larger trade scenarios.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#62 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Any gossip about what kind of return they're hoping for, or whether Rondo's on the way out, too?
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#63 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Wait to see the one-handed slam of few minutes ago in game 2 of the italian Finals (Rome-Siena 1-1) .......
Basketball is my religion
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#64 » by ermocrate » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

CaptainFanchini wrote:Wait to see the one-handed slam of few minutes ago in game 2 of the italian Finals (Rome-Siena 1-1) .......

!!!
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#65 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU-EaqnBmkQ[/youtube]

When he's in open floor, he's almost unstoppable ...
Basketball is my religion

Return to Boston Celtics