ImageImageImage

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#1 » by Gant » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:00 pm

Marc J. Spears: When asked what teams off the Top 5 radar want to meet with him, former UConn center Andre Drummond said the Celtics and Spurs.

I love this time of year.
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Re: Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#2 » by bs_and_cs » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:01 pm

I would love to get Drummond. I think he is going to be a star for years to come.

Too bad there is like a less than 1% chance that happens.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#3 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow, very interesting.

As much as people assume that KG/Pierce will be back I think there's a legit chance that Ainge could look to go REAL young next year if he sees an opportunity to restock the talent pool for another prolonged run.

This just seems like a Danny Ainge type of draft. Lots of GMs are going to swing and miss and Ainge will be there to swoop in when they do.

Thanks for all the draft updates Gant.
Gant
General Manager

Post#4 » by Gant » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:15 pm

You're welcome.

Ok, riddle me this everybody: It's not a surprise that the Celtics would want to talk to Drummond. But Drummond is likely anywhere from what, #4 to #8? Maybe the range is slightly wider in certain scenarios.

How could the Celtics trade up to get one of those picks?
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#5 » by smith2373 » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:15 pm

I hope not, I think he's gonna be a bust.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#6 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:18 pm

Gant wrote:You're welcome.

Ok, riddle me this everybody: It's not a surprise that the Celtics would want to talk to Drummond. But Drummond is likely anywhere from what, #4 to #8? Maybe the range is slightly wider in certain scenarios.

Sadly it means that either a) he's going to trade Pierce or b) a package of Bradley and a pick.

The unthinkable would be dealing Rondo to get up there but I don't see that happening.

So it's either a or b and frankly I wouldn't be happy with either but I would understand it if Ainge felt he was getting a legit franchise player there.
Gant
General Manager

Post#7 » by Gant » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:21 pm

I'll add a little to that:

They only have four guys signed for next year right now: Rondo, Pierce, Bradley and JJJ.

Rondo wouldn't go for Drummond, and JJJ is worth very little at the moment.

So, you could theoretically package a mystery combo of some of the following:

Pierce (unlikely)
Bradley
Take on a very bad contract
Sign and trade your own free agent
Trade one or both of picks 21 and 22

And who would the trading partner be? Toronto? Sacto? Portland?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#8 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:21 pm

Barring something totally unexpected, Drummond would require trading Rondo or Bradley/21/22- Pierce for a top 8 pick is a slim possibility..

I don't see huge separation between Drummond and Leonard, other than Drummond's elite size and athleticism, so I don't get why their predicted draft positions are so far apart..

From what I've seen of Drummond, though, he looked mentally outpaced- like the game is happening faster than he can think and react, and he's processing 4-5 things he knows he ought to do because none of them have become habit yet- experience will do a lot to help in that regard.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#9 » by StojkoVrankovic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:25 pm

Drummond will skyrocket after workouts, his toolbox is absurd. His head on the other hand is borderline empty.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Gant
General Manager

Post#10 » by Gant » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:25 pm

andy582 wrote:Barring something totally unexpected, Drummond would require trading Rondo or Bradley/21/22- Pierce for a top 8 pick is a slim possibility..

I don't see huge separation between Drummond and Leonard, other than Drummond's elite size and athleticism, so I don't get why their predicted draft positions are so far apart..

From what I've seen of Drummond, though, he looked mentally outpaced- like the game is happening faster than he can think and react, and he's processing 4-5 things he knows he ought to do because none of them have become habit yet- experience will do a lot to help in that regard.

Could be, and maybe many GMs would agree. Maybe that would cause Drummond to drop all the way to 10 (although Detroit would probably nab him at 9) and the potential trade partner would be New Orleans.

You'd have to take on one of their bad contracts and give them some shiny objects.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#11 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:27 pm

andy582 wrote:Barring something totally unexpected, Drummond would require trading Rondo or Bradley/21/22- Pierce for a top 8 pick is a slim possibility..

What about Pierce and one or both of the Celtics firsts?

I can't see Ainge dealing Rondo or Bradley.

But if Ray moves on and KG retires... Ainge could definitely go youth movement and Sacramento/GSW are both locations where I could see Pierce ending up because of the closeness to his hometown and those both being young teams on the rise.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#12 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:28 pm

Gant wrote:

Could be, and maybe many GMs would agree. Maybe that would cause Drummond to drop all the way to 10 (although Detroit would probably nab him at 9) and the potential trade partner would be New Orleans.

You'd have to take on one of their bad contracts and give them some shiny objects.

The other thing that just occurred to me is that Ainge COULD decide to cash in Rondo for Tyreke plus #5. Not saying I'd go that route but that's another scenario that could have some legs.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#13 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:34 pm

Rondo for Evans/Drummond, yeah. Huge gamble..

Golden State's got a new owner who doesn't seem afraid to spend money- they're looking for a small forward, but if they don't like anybody on the board at 8 and can't agree on a price for Granger, Gay, Iggy- we could probably get Jefferson/Biedrins/8 for Pierce. That likely gets one of Robinson, Drummond, Barnes..
humblebum
Banned User

Post#14 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:39 pm

andy582 wrote:Rondo for Evans/Drummond, yeah. Huge gamble..

Golden State's got a new owner who doesn't seem afraid to spend money- they're looking for a small forward, but if they don't like anybody on the board at 8 and can't agree on a price for Granger, Gay, Iggy- we could probably get Jefferson/Biedrins/8 for Pierce. That likely gets one of Robinson, Drummond, Barnes..

Not saying I'd go for the Rondo deal but figured I'd throw it out there because I could see Ainge at least thinking about that type of deal.

I don't think Ainge would be interested in taking back two bad contracts to move Pierce though.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#15 » by StojkoVrankovic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:39 pm

andy582 wrote:Rondo for Evans/Drummond, yeah. Huge gamble..

Would be shocked if he fell to 5, you can't teach the size and athleticism Drummond has. Now it is up to a coaching staff to maximize it.

Evans sucks by the way, not sure why people keep bringing up a year+ old rumor. His value is very low right now
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#16 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:42 pm

If retaining KG and keeping the contending window open is still a priority, then the best Ainge can offer to get into the first round is some combination of Bradley and picks.

Heck, if we can get Humblebum hired on with Sacramento, Portland or Toronto, we could probably get a straight up swap.

The top of the draft is pretty sparse for PGs (if you're willing to label Bradley as such). A lot of strict 2-guards (Beal, Lamb) and forwards/big men (MKG, Barnes, PJIII, Sullinger, Robinson, Henson, Drummond), so Bradley could be very appealing to teams with a pretty barren cupboard at PG.

Portland might be a prime target.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#17 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:46 pm

I wonder what deal the Spurs would try to pull off to get into the high lottery: Kawhi Leonard + future picks, or maybe they're willing to put Parker or Ginobli on the block?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#18 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:49 pm

There's always the possibility of something bizarre, like Rashard Lewis/3 for 21/22.. we'd lose all our cap space in one move, but have Lewis as a huge expiring contract..
humblebum
Banned User

Post#19 » by humblebum » Thu Jun 7, 2012 8:50 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:If retaining KG and keeping the contending window open is still a priority, then the best Ainge can offer to get into the first round is some combination of Bradley and picks.

Heck, if we can get Humblebum hired on with Sacramento, Portland or Toronto, we could probably get a straight up swap.

The top of the draft is pretty sparse for PGs (if you're willing to label Bradley as such). A lot of strict 2-guards (Beal, Lamb) and forwards/big men (MKG, Barnes, PJIII, Sullinger, Robinson, Henson, Drummond), so Bradley could be very appealing to teams with a pretty barren cupboard at PG.

Portland might be a prime target.

HA-HA...

I think it would probably take a team falling in love with Bradley and giving up a straight swap for Ainge to move Bradley to a team in the top 7. Imagine how dominant Bradley would've been in college if he stayed for the last two seasons?

I don't see Bradley being moved though, as I've maintained for a while. Bradley's value is much higher than it was prior to the season but after NEXT season this dude is going to command Top Prospect value, if he doesn't already.

I absolutely believe that Bradley is going to be a Top 3 player on a contender and I believe he'll do that as a PG, even if it means coming off the bench as a Combo Guard with the Celtics a la James Harden in OKC.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#20 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:09 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I wonder what deal the Spurs would try to pull off to get into the high lottery: Kawhi Leonard + future picks, or maybe they're willing to put Parker or Ginobli on the block?

They allegedly offered the Raptors and Kings Tony Parker in exchange for their pick. San Antonio was in love with Valanciunas, who the Raptors eventually scooped up themselves.

Return to Boston Celtics