ImageImageImage

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#41 » by King d » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:51 am

Drummond has bust written all over him, I wouldn't give Bradley and a pick for a center who can't rebound, shoot , score or make a simple layup.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,115

Post#42 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:57 am

King d wrote:Drummond has bust written all over him, I wouldn't give Bradley and a pick for a center who can't rebound, shoot , score or make a simple layup.

He can do all of those things except shoot -- plus rebound and block shots. Not sure what games you were watching but one thing the guy does is make the ball go in the hoop when he gets it deep.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#43 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:01 am

King d wrote:Drummond has bust written all over him, I wouldn't give Bradley and a pick for a center who can't rebound, shoot , score or make a simple layup.

You're over-reacting. He's 18. He has excellent hands for catching passes, runs with his head up, and is very fluid. He isn't an idiot, is a good interview, but seems very immature. He really just needs time and some good influences.

I don't want to see anyone else compare him to Thabeet - completely different players, other than both being centers out of UConn who were trumped by bulldog power forwards in the tournament (Dejuan Blair and Royce White)
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#44 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:03 am

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:

He can do all of those things except shoot -- plus rebound and block shots. Not sure what games you were watching but one thing the guy does is make the ball go in the hoop when he gets it deep.

Great post. I saw a monster waiting to be unleashed. I really question Beal (reminds me of Foye) and MKG - smells like a bust
slump
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#45 » by slump » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:08 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Calm down people, Ainge does this every year to get to know all the high draft picks. This has more to do with what happened with Jeff Green. Ainge met him and always liked Green and later made a trade for him 3-4 years later. Ainge just wants to get to know all the players.

Took over 20 posts, but finally a voice of reason. Agreed, he does this a lot. The good ones do.

Heck man, why wouldn't you want to meet drummond, or even Anthony Davis for that matter. Get to know the players coming into the league. It's only a few days out of the year you'd have to do this.

Seriously, the chances you face these kids is going to be greater than your chance to draft any one of them. Why pass up a chance to scout them on our own terms?
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect
And1: 82

Post#46 » by FreeDrop » Fri Jun 8, 2012 2:36 am

i don't like him
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#47 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:37 am

FreeDrop wrote:i don't like him

Good analysis. Hopefully Danny listens to your great opinion.
AnaheimRoyale
Banned User
And1: 11

Post#48 » by AnaheimRoyale » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:47 am

Players who say the Spurs are after them are almost never drafted by them, it's usually an agent plot to get other teams (intent on copying the Spurs) interested. I can't remember the last time someone called the Spurs actual pick, that FO is like a vault. Nothing gets in or out.
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect

Post#49 » by FreeDrop » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:22 pm

Rondo2Hondo wrote:
FreeDrop wrote:i don't like him

Good analysis. Hopefully Danny listens to your great opinion.

If Danny listens to anyone on a message board he's a bigger fool than anyone.

I watched this guy play every game at Uconn. He had zero Impact on a team that should have been very good, he doesn't have the motor, the drive, the will, call it what you will. He's a classic in the long line of 7 footers who everyone gets enamored with for size and athleticism but turn out to be busts.

If someone takes him in the top 5 they'll be sorry. Now, if he falls to 21 or 22, that's a different story. I may take a flier on him, but it depends who else is out there. But if Danny moves up to get this guy via trade, good Lord, huge mistake.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#50 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:25 pm

Saw every home game up close.

Drummond is incredibly coachable and likeable and his size and athleticism are off the charts. He isnt dumb, quite contrary he is thoughtful and well spoken.

He lacks aggression, and doesnt know how to play yet.

He has huge bust potential, but this guy is an athletic marvel. Just on running the floor, lob dunks and pin downs he will be a double digit scorer.

Defensively, when he is taught to play big and use his body, he will be one of the biggest and Most athletic players un nba.

He looked 100 times better than thabeet and okafor did as freshmen. He was better than charlie v and Josh boone as a freshmen.

Too nice. If he was 6-2 he wouldnt be playing hoops, he would be a normal college student somewhere.

That does me pause.

I dont know how we get up there to get him. He potentially could be a franchise maker.
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,011

Post#51 » by Shamrock » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:11 pm

DA will take a long look at him.. I see Drummond at the best panning out to be a perennial all star while at the worst becoming a great athletic role-playing shot blocker and rebounder. Probably have averages in the range from 10-14 pts with over 10 boards with 2-3 blocks a game. If DA thinks likes the kid and thinks he's a good project for the future I can guarantee he'll make a run at him.
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by FreeDrop » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:15 pm

Shamrock wrote:DA will take a long look at him.. I see Drummond at the best panning out to be a perennial all star while at the worst becoming a great athletic role-playing shot blocker and rebounder. Probably have averages in the range from 10-14 pts with over 10 boards with 2-3 blocks a game. If DA thinks likes the kid and thinks he's a good project for the future I can guarantee he'll make a run at him.

At what price though?
For a top 5 pick, especially if we are trading up and giving up a Bradley, the head and the heart better be as strong as the size and athleticism and i don't think that's the case here.
jbs
Senior
And1: 85

Post#53 » by jbs » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:28 pm

"Andre Drummond 6' 9.75" socks 6' 11.75" shoes and 7' 6.25" wing 9' 1.5" reach. FREAKY"

Amazing wingspan. For comparison see this: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... All&sort=5
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#54 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 8, 2012 1:55 pm

If Danny wants to trade Bradley and 21/22 to get Drummond, I honestly would not get too upset about it. Much as I like Avery, and as deep as this class is, there are just so few truly freak athlete big men like Drummond.

He's far from a finished product, and trading Bradley + 21/22 would likely mean we should just go into full rebuild, but if we can get 1-2 years of Drummond learning next to KG, it would be unbelievable for the kid's development. While he made him cry and they often fought, I can guarantee that Glen Davis would not be the player he is today had he not played next to KG in his formative NBA years.

Drummond moves like a deer in the open court, has great hands for alley oops and has a spin move that should get him 4-6 points a night alone. He rebounds and blocks shots. He'll also be super-late on some defensive rotations, foul a lot, and miss a ton of FTs.

If Drummond starts to slide to 7 or 8 and a team like GSW or TOR wants to trade out, I'd have to imagine the Bradley + 21/22 package would look enticing. Three young, cost-controlled players, one of whom you know right now is a legit NBA contributor, in exchange for one high-beta draft pick.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#55 » by humblebum » Fri Jun 8, 2012 2:04 pm

Bradley isn't going to be traded as much as people mention it, it's just not going to happen. When has Danny EVER sold low on one of his draft picks? If Bradley is going to be traded it's going to be for a proven commodity a la the Al Jeff trade.

If Ainge trades anyone to move up in the draft it's going to be Pierce or it's going to be for a bad contract (using our cap space) plus 21/22.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#56 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:14 pm

I agree it's extremely unlikely, given he's cost-controlled and proven. Plus, other teams may be wary to acquire him with two shoulder surgeries in the offseason. Nobody wants to acquire damaged goods. Well, except Otis Smith, but he's out of a job for now. Just saying, if Ainge wants to swing for the fences, I can get behind moving up for Drummond.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#57 » by humblebum » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:22 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:I agree it's extremely unlikely, given he's cost-controlled and proven. Plus, other teams may be wary to acquire him with two shoulder surgeries in the offseason. Nobody wants to acquire damaged goods. Well, except Otis Smith, but he's out of a job for now. Just saying, if Ainge wants to swing for the fences, I can get behind moving up for Drummond.

I agree with that.

I'm all for swinging for the fences in the draft if Ainge has a good read on a guy like Drummond... though I'm not particularly familiar with his game. But to me it just seems like the type of move that would be part of a broader strategy to go for a complete rebuild with youth.

In that case it makes more sense to try to use Pierce, cap space (the old take on a bad contract to get a valuable young asset move which Ainge has used in the past), and the other picks in this draft (21/22)... I'd also throw JJJ into that mix as well.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#58 » by Pacino62 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:45 pm

It's got to be that 6 spot. Hence the Barnes and Drummond talk. One of them will be there and, in the event that they aren't, it means we're in a position to take a slider. Eiher way....if he can aquire the 6, he's got to. anything after that and you're taking a serious chance that your guy is still on the board. That's a bit scary...
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,056

Post#59 » by Gant » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:05 pm

Pacino62 wrote:It's got to be that 6 spot. Hence the Barnes and Drummond talk. One of them will be there and, in the event that they aren't, it means we're in a position to take a slider. Eiher way....if he can aquire the 6, he's got to. anything after that and you're taking a serious chance that your guy is still on the board. That's a bit scary...

Any deal might put in place could be contingent on a certain player being there.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#60 » by Pacino62 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:12 pm

Gant wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:It's got to be that 6 spot. Hence the Barnes and Drummond talk. One of them will be there and, in the event that they aren't, it means we're in a position to take a slider. Eiher way....if he can aquire the 6, he's got to. anything after that and you're taking a serious chance that your guy is still on the board. That's a bit scary...

Any deal might put in place could be contingent on a certain player being there.

Good point....It would have to be
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29

Return to Boston Celtics