ImageImageImage

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#21 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:14 pm

andy582 wrote:There's always the possibility of something bizarre, like Rashard Lewis/3 for 21/22.. we'd lose all our cap space in one move, but have Lewis as a huge expiring contract..

Can we pull of a move like that before free agency starts? Can we renounce bird rights, etc. to free up cap room on draft night?
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,115

Post#22 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:14 pm

I think Drummond can be good. His upside is similar to another erstwhile UConn recruit, Andrew Bynum. Very raw coming out of high school. You would have seen a similar freshman year out of Bynum.

I don't think Drummond is at all dumb. I think he didn't focus on basketball until relatively late in life, and 1 year under Calhoun wasn't enough to whip him into shape. He's a good rebounder on both ends of the court so I see his floor as being a backup but not a bust. His FT shooting is legendarily bad; the form is just awful. As is his shooting form. I was surprised to see little improvement over the course of the season, but now that basketball is his life, maybe he can work on it.

That Evans-and-a-pick-for-Rondo makes me nauseous. I don't want any part of Evans. And I don't want any part of not having Rondo. Are people watching the playoffs? This guy is the key to our team moving forward. There are very few guys in the league we should give him up for. Draft picks are gambles, all of them.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,544

Post#23 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:26 pm

Calm down people, Ainge does this every year to get to know all the high draft picks. This has more to do with what happened with Jeff Green. Ainge met him and always liked Green and later made a trade for him 3-4 years later. Ainge just wants to get to know all the players.
The Playmaker
Junior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by The Playmaker » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:49 pm

It's fun to talk about but I don't see how a trade could happen. Rondo is staying, Pierce is staying, and Ainge loves Bradley. Unless we are just packaging our picks and trading up and hoping someone falls I can't see a deal being made. I don't really take a look at mock drafts because they really have no clue what's going on or how teams rank players but I wouldn't be surprised to see Drummond outside the top 10.
darthkiller
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#25 » by darthkiller » Thu Jun 7, 2012 9:55 pm

andy582 wrote:There's always the possibility of something bizarre, like Rashard Lewis/3 for 21/22.. we'd lose all our cap space in one move, but have Lewis as a huge expiring contract..

1 lewis is expirng
2 wizards still have their amnesty if they want to get rid of lewis
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#26 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:02 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Calm down people, Ainge does this every year to get to know all the high draft picks. This has more to do with what happened with Jeff Green. Ainge met him and always liked Green and later made a trade for him 3-4 years later. Ainge just wants to get to know all the players.

Took over 20 posts, but finally a voice of reason. Agreed, he does this a lot. The good ones do.

Heck man, why wouldn't you want to meet drummond, or even Anthony Davis for that matter. Get to know the players coming into the league. It's only a few days out of the year you'd have to do this.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#27 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:18 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:

Can we pull of a move like that before free agency starts? Can we renounce bird rights, etc. to free up cap room on draft night?

It would be contingent on the start of FA but there is no reason Boston can't calculate what their cap space is and agree to use it to acquire a player. The only real question mark is what Bass intends to do.

But this involves renouncing KG or signing him to an extension before the draft.

There is also nothing to stop Ainge from adding a future first to his two first rounders for someones second lottery pick.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#28 » by Avalanche » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:27 pm

Well there is the chance that its just to meet the guy and get a feel on him for the future, but if you were an Agent would you send him to work out for a team that had no intention of drafting him?

We're working out Barnes, Ross, Drummond etc, pretty obvious Danny is at least considering moving up and thinks he has some kind of package to do so

Drummond though is almost a certainty to go top 5, a little harder to get to, the options on draft day are:

Bradley, 21, 22: Does not get us into the top 5 IMO, but could get us high enough to take one of the other guys in the lottery

Pierce: Could get us into the 6-9 range with a contract tied to the pick, obviously only an option if we rebuild and KG leaves... even then would leave a bad taste for a lot of fans

Rondo: Obvious one to point out would be the Tyreke/Pick deal that seems to have been around for years, Rondo is the piece that could get us into that top tier of the draft but after this post season I really dont think this should be the way we go forward, Rondo still has a lot of prime years left

Which way is Danny thinking? who knows... but he's not just meeting these guys for the sake of it, there is at least some level of truth to him trying to move up
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Avalanche » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:28 pm

I'm not saying the Reke/5 deal is a good one, just an example btw
max powers
Junior
And1: 258

Post#30 » by max powers » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:35 pm

I'd offer JJJ, 21 and 22 pick, and 2014 pick top 2 protected. Got to role the dice, he's very young could be a Kwame Brown bust but has the potential to be an all star who paired with Rondo could keep us in the mix for a long time. I'd also bring in Olajuwon as big man coach to work with him.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#31 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:40 pm

well, we give them 21, 22 pick, jjj (young guy on roster going nowhere), and take blatche and his 8m a year for 3 more years for 3rd pick. U do it?

Rondo/moore
Bradley/moore
Pierce/green
Drummond/bass
Garnett, blatche

probably got cap space for that, and maybe some min salary guys at backup sg and pg if moore isnt the guy too.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Avalanche » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:50 pm

Do we? sure.. do they, no chance
max powers
Junior
And1: 258

Post#33 » by max powers » Thu Jun 7, 2012 10:50 pm

well, we give them 21, 22 pick, jjj (young guy on roster going nowhere), and take blatche and his 8m a year for 3 more years for 3rd pick. U do it?

I'd do it, who knows maybe Blatche could put together a decent season with better players around him and better coaching and we could showcase him enough to trade him after the season. If not I'm okay with Blatche riding the bench and costing us some extra salary if that's what it takes to get Drummond.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#34 » by robbie84 » Thu Jun 7, 2012 11:47 pm

andy582 wrote:Barring something totally unexpected, Drummond would require trading Rondo or Bradley/21/22- Pierce for a top 8 pick is a slim possibility..

I don't see huge separation between Drummond and Leonard, other than Drummond's elite size and athleticism, so I don't get why their predicted draft positions are so far apart..

From what I've seen of Drummond, though, he looked mentally outpaced- like the game is happening faster than he can think and react, and he's processing 4-5 things he knows he ought to do because none of them have become habit yet- experience will do a lot to help in that regard.

lol I'm glad you don't see a lot of difference between the two except those two minor features.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#35 » by sully00 » Thu Jun 7, 2012 11:59 pm

My head says that Boston is talking to POR about 6.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Avalanche » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:09 am

you would think Portland would only be interested in Rondo though?

I said in the other trade thread, with the Hornets looking to unload a contract with the #10:

Bradley/22 for Okafor/10

then 10/21/JJJ for something high enough to get drummond? probably still not quite enough to get to the top 5 tho unfortunately

Would definitely re-enforce that front line tho
crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#37 » by crosko42 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:15 am

sully00 wrote:My head says that Boston is talking to POR about 6.

Would POR be open to moving 6 for 21/22/bradley? I doubt it, but if they were;

They have 11, if they don't think any of the guys at 6 are a surefire thing maybe we jump in and give them some more value picks and a great young guard. 11/21/22 is a nice boost to a rebuild, as is bradley.

If barnes/drummond falls to that pick and we can make that move we would be set at either the 1/5 or the 1/3 for years to come with plenty of cap space as well.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Avalanche » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:21 am

actually, the 6th pick makes a ton more sense now that you bring barnes back up

if he is the guy that jumps into the top 5 after workouts (Cavs potentially), then maybe drummond is the guy pushed out to 6.. if the top 5 stays the same with davis/mkg/beal/rob/drummond then barnes is available

all speculation, but its fun

anwyay, game time.. the draft can wait
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#39 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:36 am

I see issues with Drummond, but not like the majority of you. I see an 18 year old with little basketball experience. As a freshman he put up decent numbers that would be on par with many HOF centers, Robinson, Olajuwon, O'Neal, Duncan etc. We are harshly judging an 18 year old, expecting him to have Al Jefferson's advanced post game, Duncan's intelligence along with all his elite physical tools.

Positives:
-Elite defensive potential
-Is a really nice kid, probably too nice* (see negatives)
-Is a team player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfRN6telagk
-Is coachable - but needs good influences around him
-Extremely athletic

Negatives:
-Very passive - he should have punched out Shabazz Napier right after the 1st or 2nd game. Deferring to teammates is fine if they are more talented, but not just because they're the team's leader and a shot-jacker. Napier will never make the NBA - why defer to that piece of crap?
-*Seems very friendly, but a bit of a goof ball. My assumption is that goof balls don't develop at the same rapid rate as a focused player - this is the difference between drafting a Drummond compared to a Royce White.
-Free throw shooting. Small sample size, but alarming that he only shot over 50% at the line twice all season. He doesn't have the worst form, but he puts a hitch in it on the way up. He needs to work on his leg strength and core.

With all of that said, I would draft him if we bought back Clifford Ray. I wouldn't give up Bradley for the chance to draft him.

Pick 21, 22 and JJJ for 10 and Okafor is all I would do it for, and hope he slides to 10 (highly unlikely).

I actually think the Spurs may make a play for a lottery pick by dangling Parker. They have Nando de Colo coming over, and a team like Portland would no doubt be very interested in Parker.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,425

Post#40 » by Marley2Hendrix » Fri Jun 8, 2012 12:44 am

Rondo2Hondo wrote:I see issues with Drummond, but not like the majority of you. I see an 18 year old with little basketball experience. As a freshman he put up decent numbers that would be on par with many HOF centers, Robinson, Olajuwon, O'Neal, Duncan etc. We are harshly judging an 18 year old, expecting him to have Al Jefferson's advanced post game, Duncan's intelligence along with all his elite physical tools.

Positives:
-Elite defensive potential
-Is a really nice kid, probably too nice* (see negatives)
-Is a team player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfRN6telagk
-Is coachable - but needs good influences around him
-Extremely athletic

Negatives:
-Very passive - he should have punched out Shabazz Napier right after the 1st or 2nd game. Deferring to teammates is fine if they are more talented, but not just because they're the team's leader and a shot-jacker. Napier will never make the NBA - why defer to that piece of crap?
-*Seems very friendly, but a bit of a goof ball. My assumption is that goof balls don't develop at the same rapid rate as a focused player - this is the difference between drafting a Drummond compared to a Royce White.
-Free throw shooting. Small sample size, but alarming that he only shot over 50% at the line twice all season. He doesn't have the worst form, but he puts a hitch in it on the way up. He needs to work on his leg strength and core.

With all of that said, I would draft him if we bought back Clifford Ray. I wouldn't give up Bradley for the chance to draft him.

Pick 21, 22 and JJJ for 10 and Okafor is all I would do it for, and hope he slides to 10 (highly unlikely).

I actually think the Spurs may make a play for a lottery pick by dangling Parker. They have Nando de Colo coming over, and a team like Portland would no doubt be very interested in Parker.

I really don't mean to be going over the top with the human development side of things, but you guys may enjoy listening to the Chad Ford/Simmons podcast on the draft class just a week(s?) back. A good point by chad ford - we have no idea what type of personality many of these guys will develop into (i.e., will a knucklehead continue to be a knuckle head or get over it. Conversely, will a focused in guy be not-so-focused once he gets his first payday), and this unpredictability plays a large role in the bust factor of nba picks. GMs just don't know.

One other interesting tidbit from the interview - on mr. Drummond, Ford said that in-person, no player has looked as impressive as Drummon since Amare... for those that remember, there was a semi-infamous declaration from ainge prior to the draft that Amare would be the best player of his draft class.

As Gant said in the draft thread though, BOS has been attached to just about every draft eligibile PF/C.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.

Return to Boston Celtics