ImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

yeleven11
Rookie
And1: 1,545

Official Trade Thread 

Post#1 » by yeleven11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:49 am

There's a bunch of threads that's pretty much trade threads, like the one about Danny shopping Lee and the question about what trade target is worth Bradley.

Can we just merge them into this one or just talk about all possible trades here?

So on to the topic, it's December 15th and we need a big.

Andy Varejao, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Marcin Gortat.

Who benefits us the most? What do we need to give up? Do we have enough assets to get one of them?

I think either Varejao or Smith benefits us the most but I don't know if we have the assets that the Cavs or Hawks want. The Jazz big men might be a different story cause the Jazz probably aren't signing both of them.

How good are Gortat, Millsap, and Jefferson defensively?

What about Robin Lopez? Lee and a first round pick maybe?
bendyone
Analyst
And1: 100

Re: Official Trade Thread 

Post#2 » by bendyone » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 am

Garnett for Bosh.
BANG!................. Marjong!
CelticsRise
Senior
And1: 9

Post#3 » by CelticsRise » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 am

I will settle for Varejao, Jefferson, Milsap and we can only lose any of these Lee, Bass, Sully, Melo (Bradley only for AV or Jefforson).
yeleven11
Rookie

Post#4 » by yeleven11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 am

CelticsRise wrote:I will settle for Varejao, Jefferson, Milsap and we can only lose any of these Lee, Bass, Sully, Melo (Bradley only for AV or Jefforson).

Are you willing to part with Green as well if we can get a different backup three with one of those big men in the deal? Like a Marvin Williams- caliber three?
UConn celt
Senior
And1: 70

Post#5 » by UConn celt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 am

^^ Sure am. But are you implying the Jazz would want Green over Williams if they're trading us Jefferson/Millsap? Because I don't think they would. Green hasn't shown to be any better and he's under contract for 2 years longer than Williams.
yeleven11
Rookie

Post#6 » by yeleven11 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 am

UConn celt wrote:^^ Sure am. But are you implying the Jazz would want Green over Williams if they're trading us Jefferson/Millsap? Because I don't think they would. Green hasn't shown to be any better and he's under contract for 2 years longer than Williams.

Oh, no I don't think they'll do that either. I was just wondering cause you left green's name out at first and wanted to know who you'll be satisfied with if we had to part with green
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#7 » by greenbeans » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:12 am

Gortat, Dudley and a 2nd for Green, Lee, Sullinger and a 1st
amoiz786
Junior

Post#8 » by amoiz786 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:18 pm

bendyone wrote:Garnett for Bosh.

KG>Bosh. Nuff said.
amoiz786
Junior

Post#9 » by amoiz786 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 pm

We need a big like Al Jefferson, he rebounds, scores and blocks some shots. Varjaeo can rebound and score but he does not provide that presence we need.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#10 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:32 pm

bendyone wrote:Garnett for Bosh.

Please go.
UConn celt
Senior

Post#11 » by UConn celt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:50 pm

amoiz786 wrote:We need a big like Al Jefferson, he rebounds, scores and blocks some shots. Varjaeo can rebound and score but he does not provide that presence we need.

Varejao's not a shot blocker but he's a better defender than Al. Al's strength is his back to the basket game. Both would be great to have but I'd give the edge to Varejao for his hustle and energy.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#12 » by SichtingLives » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I'd love to get one of best centers in the league too, just like every other team who doesn't have one.

Let's hope Danny makes the right decision for once as far as who's worth keeping and who isn't. His blunders are becoming more and more evident over the years with the wonderful gift of hindsight.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#13 » by ermocrate » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:14 pm

The problem here are not the complementary pieces.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
UConn celt
Senior

Post#14 » by UConn celt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:44 pm

ermocrate wrote:The problem here are not the complementary pieces.

The problem is the lack of balance on the roster and the over reliance on a 36 yr old KG who needs his minutes limited.

Doc has also not used the complimentary pieces correctly, essentially using Lee and Terry the same way he would use Ray when they're completely different players, though Terry's good enough to adjust and still be effective. The worst has been his use of Green though, who is not a good isolation scorer. Doc needs to run a lot more plays that get Green in motion so Rondo and KG can hit him on cuts. However doing this means we have to admit to ourselves that Green is a very limited player who can't create his own shot with any kind of meaningful regularity, either in the post or off the dribble. He can still help us if we change how we use him, but a player who needs others to make him effective and is making $36M is far from untradeable from our perspective, especially when everyone on our front line besides KG is backup quality. If we find a team that isn't scared off by his contract and it could net us a starting quality big, we need to explore it.

As far as Lee and Bass, Lee could have been good, but he started off cold and couldn't find a role. Now with Avery coming back soon, he may eventually want out so he can get more playing time somewhere else. Bass has underperformed and is not a starting quality PF. Plain and simple we need someone better.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#15 » by ermocrate » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:03 pm

UConn celt wrote:
ermocrate wrote:The problem here are not the complementary pieces.

The problem is the lack of balance on the roster and the over reliance on a 36 yr old KG who needs his minutes limited.

Doc has also not used the complimentary pieces correctly, essentially using Lee and Terry the same way he would use Ray when they're completely different players, though Terry's good enough to adjust and still be effective. The worst has been his use of Green though, who is not a good isolation scorer. Doc needs to run a lot more plays that get Green in motion so Rondo and KG can hit him on cuts. However doing this means we have to admit to ourselves that Green is a very limited player who can't create his own shot with any kind of meaningful regularity, either in the post or off the dribble. He can still help us if we change how we use him, but a player who needs others to make him effective and is making $36M is far from untradeable from our perspective, especially when everyone on our front line besides KG is backup quality. If we find a team that isn't scared off by his contract and it could net us a starting quality big, we need to explore it.

As far as Lee and Bass, Lee could have been good, but he started off cold and couldn't find a role. Now with Avery coming back soon, he may eventually want out so he can get more playing time somewhere else. Bass has underperformed and is not a starting quality PF. Plain and simple we need someone better.

Green made almost all of his points on isos, and he has NEVER played that at SF in NBA so is still learning, the "create offense" topic is just the biggest flaw of NBA BBall, it's not playground, it's organized BBall, the plays create offense, 1vs1 should be an exception, this is why USA team often have to suffer vs less talented teams, they play organized BBall, 1vs1 only works if you are 10x better than your opponents, the other teams defends not very well and refs whistle any contact, even the more questionable.

That said, if you give this complementary pieces to TP, TD and Gino (except a better PF than Bass) they will win the next 2 rings IMHO, but not because they are better than RR, PP and KG, just because the team is structured in another way.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#16 » by campybatman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:04 pm

yeleven11 wrote:What about Robin Lopez?

I believe Robin Lopez is the cheapest and more realistic option compared to the players everyone else wants.

I think Ainge needs to trade Bass. He should be the first to go... He'd overachieved last season because it was a contract year. So it doesn't surprise me that he has regressed.

Another player I still have an interest in is Ed Davis. But he's likely unavailable since it sounds like Bargnani's on the block.

In my opinion, it doesn't hurt Boston to keep Lee. He's good insurance in case Bradley sustains an injury since we all know that he has yet to prove he can play a full regular season.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#17 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:
yeleven11 wrote:What about Robin Lopez?

I believe Robin Lopez is the cheapest and more realistic option compared to the players everyone else wants.

I think Ainge needs to trade Bass. He should be the first to go... He'd overachieved last season because it was a contract year. So it doesn't surprise me that he has regressed.

Another player I still have an interest in is Ed Davis. But he's likely unavailable since it sounds like Bargnani's on the block.

In my opinion, it doesn't hurt Boston to keep Lee. He's good insurance in case Bradley sustains an injury since we all know that he has yet to prove he can play a full regular season.

What does a trade for Robin Lopez do for us? Is that going to put us over the top or is it simply trading for a taller player to fill a need.

We need to show that we are actually a good team before even thinking about upgrading for a run.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
The Gambia -
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#18 » by The Gambia - » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 pm

I'd rather go for a big man duo like Favors + Kanter than trying to re-acquire Al Jefferson. Those two guys would have an epic impact on our defence together with KG. Plus, they're young so we probably build around them and Sullinger/Bradley in the future when KG is gone.

Favors + Kanter is just an example...
Varejao is a no-go for me as I think he's a one hit wonder, just like Lin.
And tbh with you, I would never trade Sullinger that early... he's playing a solid rookie season imo.
UConn celt
Senior

Post#19 » by UConn celt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 pm

ermocrate wrote:Green made almost all of his points on isos, and he has NEVER played that at SF in NBA so is still learning, the "create offense" topic is just the biggest flaw of NBA BBall, it's not playground, it's organized BBall, the plays create offense, 1vs1 should be an exception, this is why USA team often have to suffer vs less talented teams, they play organized BBall, 1vs1 only works if you are 10x better than your opponents, the other teams defends not very well and refs whistle any contact, even the more questionable.

That said, if you give this complementary pieces to TP, TD and Gino (except a better PF than Bass) they will win the next 2 rings IMHO, but not because they are better than RR, PP and KG, just because the team is structured in another way.

I'm not sure we disagree on much. I was saying that Green is put in isolation a lot, so of course most of his points come from those plays. My point was that even though that's how he's been used, he's not very good at it and he would be far more effective if Doc used a different strategy to get him involved, specifically by putting him in motion so his touch and athleticism can be fully taken advantage of. This means more pick n rolls, weakside cuts, and cuts off entry passes to KG. Rondo and KG are excellent passers and Green would be much better if he played off those 2 instead of standing around waiting for Doc to call a play to get him the ball. I put most of the blame on Doc for not recognizing this.

That said though, NBA is a more 1 on 1 game than international ball. I'm not advocating the Celtics try to become like the Thunder who's entire offense is just Durant or Westbrook going 1 on 1, but I think a lot of fans believe Green can be a reliable isolation scorer either now or the future, and I just think that's false. It's not really his fault, but it makes him limited as a player, and considering our obvious weaknesses up front, he's certainly not above sacrificing in a trade for a big. The point might be moot though since his contract is really hurting his value right now.

On your Spurs point, I don't know if they'd win the next 2 rings, but I agree with your sentiment that they would be integrated better. So are you saying Doc should be taking heat for not getting the most out of Bass, Lee and Green?
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,235

Post#20 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 pm

The Gambia - wrote:I'd rather go for a big man duo like Favors + Kanter than trying to re-acquire Al Jefferson. Those two guys would have an epic impact on our defence together with KG. Plus, they're young so we probably build around them and Sullinger/Bradley in the future when KG is gone.

Favors + Kanter is just an example...
Varejao is a no-go for me as I think he's a one hit wonder, just like Lin.
And tbh with you, I would never trade Sullinger that early... he's playing a solid rookie season imo.

You think we could land Favors AND Kanter, but not give up Sullinger or Bradley?

:o

I'm pretty sure we can't land them this side of a Rondo trade...

Return to Boston Celtics