ImageImageImage

Start Green at PF!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,674

Re: Start Green at PF! 

Post#21 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 am

They both need to play all the minutes their stamina can handle.

If Garnett, Pierce, Bass, and Green play flat-out, they won't combine to soak up all the minutes at C, PF, and SF.

This team's "frontline players" are now Garnett, Bass, Green, Pierce, Lee, Bradley, and Terry, in approximately decreasing order of height. It doesn't matter that much which 5 of the 7 start; they'll all get a lot of run.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bendyone
Analyst
And1: 100

Post#22 » by bendyone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:30 am

The op gets my vote.

What now dude?
BANG!................. Marjong!
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#23 » by wigglestrue » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:35 am

If the dude can keep playing like this, even inconsistently, then the Celtics might be back to having a legitimate 1-2% puncher's chance at the title. Hell, if "like this" means production equal to tonight and it approaches consistency, that puncher's chance might get upgraded to a bona fide substantial chance. It's almost like he was kept on ice until after the deadline so teams wouldn't bother asking for him. If he doesn't start at the 4 the rest of the season, then I'm resurrecting my discredited "Fire Doc" campaign. If he goes back to being merely okay the rest of the way, then I'm coming back here and deleting this post out of shame, lol.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#24 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:42 am

I've said at the beginning of the season that our chances would depend on Bradley and Sully's improvement. We were unlucky, Sully got injured but it was my mistake to discount Green.

Clearly, our playoff success would depend on Green's continuous improvement.

PP and KG will always be there to lead us. Bradley will always bring his D. And if Jeff Green can have an impactful night, we're still a hard team to beat.

And I still like our bench on Terry, Wilcox, and it's looking like Williams and Crawford are good additions to the team.
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#25 » by zronv7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 am

agreed, makes since now that we have williams. gives us more big man depth like bass coming off the bench.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#26 » by BfB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 am

Jeff Green should be playing 90% of his minutes at the 2 And 3. Tonight he played a favorable matchup for playing the 4 and also exceeded his dribble jumper norms by triple.

I think he has if in him to be a very good player, but he will need more grooming by the vets.
nohandles
Rookie
And1: 26

Post#27 » by nohandles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 am

Banks2Pierce wrote:I agree with you. This was my first thought after the deadline went by today. KG is the defense. The player at the 4 hardly matters defensively when he is out there.

Yep, most of the time Bass looks good on D is because the perimeter defenders have overwhelmed the opposition offense. Green playing with KG is so nice to see, the give and go offense those two play is guaranteed buckets or 2 shots at the FT line.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#28 » by AgentGreen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Yeah Green should be our starter on 4, he is to good to come from the bench.

I'd play even Wilcox on 4 starting, yesterday he had 8 rbs(4 offensive) and 14 pts in 21:37 minutes. Dont see Bass pilling that off. Bass should come from the bench, his game will be better against the bench players of the opponent.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#29 » by sam_I_am » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Green needs to start. We need his mind in the game and we need him to play 36 min per game.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#30 » by ermocrate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm

As I said at the start, our Championship chances live or die with Jeff Green... Starting or off the bench he HAS to play at last 30 minutes per game IF he his 100% healty...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Godmoney
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#31 » by Godmoney » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Green is kind of nice off the bench. Remember, this is a guy who vanishes if he plays with guys who are more assertive than him. It makes a lot of sense to me to put him on a unit where he is more of a focal point than to play him on the starting unit where he is a tertiary player.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:No need to pay attention to ignormous maximus.

HUMBLEBUM: Make a new account and PM me.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#32 » by ermocrate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Godmoney wrote:Green is kind of nice off the bench. Remember, this is a guy who vanishes if he plays with guys who are more assertive than him. It makes a lot of sense to me to put him on a unit where he is more of a focal point than to play him on the starting unit where he is a tertiary player.

I don't think we have low personality players, since he make up his mind to be aggressive, nobody is gonne take his shots away from him, I've seen multiple times give instructions to his teammates and eve yell in this last 15 games...
AgentGreen
Head Coach

Post#33 » by AgentGreen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Godmoney wrote:Green is kind of nice off the bench. Remember, this is a guy who vanishes if he plays with guys who are more assertive than him. It makes a lot of sense to me to put him on a unit where he is more of a focal point than to play him on the starting unit where he is a tertiary player.

Did you see how he played defense on Lebron a few weeks ago, and how he dunked on Bosh? He played a great game against the Heat starting 5.

With this theory Bass shouldnt be our starter at all, heck he should be our waterboy then.

Our starter at 4 should be Green of Wilcox, not Bass.
Godmoney
Analyst

Post#34 » by Godmoney » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok. If you guys think that Jeff Green is an all-star now, that's your opinion. This is a guy who has terrible for the entire time he has been a Celtic up until literally the day Rondo went down about three weeks ago. If he is in a position where he is having success, I'd say leave him in it rather than mess with what is working. Bass is what he is, you kick it to him for jumpers he has no upside that he isn't reaching or anything. He obviously isn't as good as Green but I just want Green to be in a position to succeed. And yes I did see Green on LeBron I was in the building for it. I thought he played well too, but why don't you go take a look at LeBron's stat line from that game to refresh your memory about exactly how effective he really was.

Additionally, the Jeff Green at the 4 thing has been tried over and over again in the NBA. We have maybe 100s of games of evidence that it doesn't work. He can't defend the position or rebound. His primary benefit is supposed to be that he will be limiting Pierce's minutes at the 3 not switching to an entirely different position. What matters is if he play well enough to close games when they matter.

Berkcelt
Bench Warmer
And1: 332

Post#35 » by Berkcelt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Green can match up with some guys at the 4, and given our lack of any quality bigs, he'll probably get time there whether he matches up or not. Looks like a heavier dose of small ball is in the offing. But he's not going to get Luis Scola on the last place Suns the day after the trade deadline (and as much as I loved that game, I have a feeling some guys were high on life at not being traded) every game. I can't see starting him even though it is tempting.

I do really like how Jeff is playing. I don't really have a lot of expectations for his offense right now; I just hope he keeps up the stellar defense.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#36 » by ermocrate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Godmoney wrote:Ok. If you guys think that Jeff Green is an all-star now, that's your opinion. This is a guy who has terrible for the entire time he has been a Celtic up until literally the day Rondo went down about three weeks ago. If he is in a position where he is having success, I'd say leave him in it rather than mess with what is working. Bass is what he is, you kick it to him for jumpers he has no upside that he isn't reaching or anything. He obviously isn't as good as Green but I just want Green to be in a position to succeed. And yes I did see Green on LeBron I was in the building for it. I thought he played well too, but why don't you go take a look at LeBron's stat line from that game to refresh your memory about exactly how effective he really was.

Additionally, the Jeff Green at the 4 thing has been tried over and over again in the NBA. We have maybe 100s of games of evidence that it doesn't work. He can't defend the position or rebound. His primary benefit is supposed to be that he will be limiting Pierce's minutes at the 3 not switching to an entirely different position. What matters is if he play well enough to close games when they matter.

False and his defense on LeBron was amazing, LBJ made most of his buckets with someone else guarding him.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#37 » by exculpatory » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Godmoney wrote:Ok. If you guys think that Jeff Green is an all-star now, that's your opinion. This is a guy who has terrible for the entire time he has been a Celtic up until literally the day Rondo went down about three weeks ago. If he is in a position where he is having success, I'd say leave him in it rather than mess with what is working. Bass is what he is, you kick it to him for jumpers he has no upside that he isn't reaching or anything. He obviously isn't as good as Green but I just want Green to be in a position to succeed. And yes I did see Green on LeBron I was in the building for it. I thought he played well too, but why don't you go take a look at LeBron's stat line from that game to refresh your memory about exactly how effective he really was.

Agree. Play with second unit at the 3 mostly - hopefully he will continue to assert himself. Occasionally at the 4 together w Truth.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
AgentGreen
Head Coach

Post#38 » by AgentGreen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm

ermocrate wrote:

False and his defense on LeBron was amazing, LBJ made most of his buckets with someone else guarding him.

+1
Godmoney
Analyst

Post#39 » by Godmoney » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 pm

I know you think you can just say things and they become true, but it actually takes me about 10 seconds to bring up the game log and see that LeBron scored 12 points in the 4th/OTs with Jeff Green on him. I said I agree that Jeff made him work. Not sure why I'm even being grilled on that statement. Also how has Jeff Green not been terrible since the Rondo injury? You both actually think he was having a good season?

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#40 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Godmoney wrote:I know you think you can just say things and they become true, but it actually takes me about 10 seconds to bring up the game log and see that LeBron scored 12 points in the 4th/OTs with Jeff Green on him. I said I agree that Jeff made him work. Not sure why I'm even being grilled on that statement. Also how has Jeff Green not been terrible since the Rondo injury? You both actually think he was having a good season?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... bron-james

The final tally for Green defending James: 3-for-11 shooting (27.3 percent) with one foul and a total of nine points allowed. Given that James averages around a point per possession this season, limiting him to nine points on 12 possessions is a stellar afternoon for Green. But maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Return to Boston Celtics