ImageImageImage

2014 Celtics off season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

2014 Celtics off season Thread 

Post#1 » by rickrolled » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:38 pm

FSU63
Banned User
And1: 33

Re: 2014 Draft Night & Off Season Trade Ideas/Moves Thread 

Post#2 » by FSU63 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Anything that will get Chloe Moretz into my arms. Help a brotha out, Danny.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: 2014 Draft Night & Off Season Trade Ideas - Moves Thread 

Post#3 » by KGboss » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:53 pm

dont we have a draft thread. confused. are we talking about potential trades? kevin love is still up in the air.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#4 » by rickrolled » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 pm

This is not a draft thread to discuss what players to draft, but potential Draft night and off season trades.

Deadline just finished so I thought it was time for a New thread.
Havlicek17
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#5 » by Havlicek17 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

If we get a Top 3 draft pick, then we will be using that pick to get a franchise player. If we end up with a later pick, I expect Danny will trade that pick during the draft for a major piece in the rebuild.

Kevin Love and Melo are the obvious top candidates, but there are probably one or two other top players who will be available by then.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,154

Post#6 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Gerald Wallace with only a two year contract starts to become a real trade possibility at that point. It's certainly going to be a hot Draft night for us. IMO anything less than a top 3 pick is traded just like Havlicek said. Brandon Bass will be a valuable expiring and S & T options for Avery Bradley will be all over the place. Thinking about it, Danny was correct in not dealing right now..wait 3 months and most assets we have will probably be more valuable.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#7 » by hiphop1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Is Lamarcus Aldrige and RFA?
Free your mind and your a** will follow
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#8 » by BakersDozen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I think Wallace is never really going to be a trade possibility. what team is really going to want to take on his piss poor attitude?
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,154

Post#9 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:58 pm

BakersDozen wrote:I think Wallace is never really going to be a trade possibility. what team is really going to want to take on his piss poor attitude?

His attitude is not that bad. In terms of basketball attitude there's not much to complain about the guy. Even in a tank situation he still will break his neck out there to make u go 20-40 instead of 19-41. That's a pretty valuable thing to have IMO. Not saying it will be easy, but the chances grow a little bit with every day that passes..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#10 » by Valid » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm

hiphop1 wrote:Is Lamarcus Aldrige and RFA?

No. He's a UFA after next season.
rmal8852
Pro Prospect
And1: 929

Re: 2014 Draft Night Trades+Off Season Trade Ideas/Moves Thr 

Post#11 » by rmal8852 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Good idea for a thread, but I'm emotionally spent.

Gonna take a week off maybe 2 0r 3 from the Cs and RealGM and Celticsblog.

All I'm doing is hoping for losses now.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#12 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 am

Sully and Rondo should come up, too. Gotta watch where MIN, SAC and DET place in the lottery. If the Wolves luck into Parker, Love stays, otherwise Sully/Green+ get offered; SAC could deal Mclemore/top 5 pick for Rondo; if the Pistons are in a spot to take Embiid, he or Drummond could shake loose in a trade.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#13 » by darrendaye » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 am

Well, I think the $10.3 million TPE comes into play now that Ainge did not use Humphries' salary slot in trade. Also, regarding the inactivity, if Ainge couldn't get a 1st rounder for Bass, it is better to keep him. Much easier to use his salary in combination with others on a larger deal as an expiring contract in the off-season. He and Bogans will probably be paired in many rumors we see surface.

Celts will have a few methods of matching up favorably for an Asik trade, if that is revisited. I don't think it will be unless a superstar trade occurs in unison.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#14 » by brackdan70 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 am

good point about the TPE....say the Cs are in the 6 or 7 spot and don't a need to have one of the available guys there, trade back say 7th pick and a portion or all of the TPE to trade back for a later pick and good player. Purely hypothetical and of course need a team that covets a player in that range, but could be a great opportunity.
Sign here
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#15 » by Notanoob » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 am

He Celtics fans, this is a Pistons fan. You happen to be one of the few somewhat realistic options for us to trade Josh Smith to. Obviously, this depends entirely on you keeping Rondo, which I presume you'll do.

Naturally, the basis is starting with Smith for Green, but I'm not dumb, I know we'll need to take some more garbage back to make this work.

I'd be happy to take Brandon Bass off your hands in addition to Green, so you'll drop one PF from the rotation to make room for Smith. That trade works, salary wise too.

I know that you're eager to dump Wallace on us, but Josh Smith is actually a decent player, so we're not going to take him just to move Smith.

Only way that we take back Wallace is if we send you Jennings to be your 6th man, or if you give us some other assets to make up for it. However, everyone hates Jennings it seems so I doubt that you're up for taking him. You do have extra picks IIRC, but everyone seems very leery of trading those.

Also, if you convince us to take Wallace, we might as well give you Kyle Singler too, so you'll have a SF who can give you decent minutes.

My initial offer is Josh Smith for Jeff Green and Brandon Bass. Any takers? Any counter offers? What do you think the Celtics are looking for?
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#16 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:33 am

Notanoob wrote:He Celtics fans, this is a Pistons fan. You happen to be one of the few somewhat realistic options for us to trade Josh Smith to. Obviously, this depends entirely on you keeping Rondo, which I presume you'll do.

Naturally, the basis is starting with Smith for Green, but I'm not dumb, I know we'll need to take some more garbage back to make this work.

I'd be happy to take Brandon Bass off your hands in addition to Green, so you'll drop one PF from the rotation to make room for Smith. That trade works, salary wise too.

I know that you're eager to dump Wallace on us, but Josh Smith is actually a decent player, so we're not going to take him just to move Smith.

Only way that we take back Wallace is if we send you Jennings to be your 6th man, or if you give us some other assets to make up for it. However, everyone hates Jennings it seems so I doubt that you're up for taking him. You do have extra picks IIRC, but everyone seems very leery of trading those.

Also, if you convince us to take Wallace, we might as well give you Kyle Singler too, so you'll have a SF who can give you decent minutes.

My initial offer is Josh Smith for Jeff Green and Brandon Bass. Any takers? Any counter offers? What do you think the Celtics are looking for?

I really want the Celtics to avoid Josh Smith at this point at all costs. I realize he could probably perform much better in an ideal situation as perhaps a PF then he has in his dismal year for Detroit but the Celtics best young player is a PF. The Celtics aren't winning anything with Sullinger at C and declining Smith at PF.

2 years ago Smith would have been a good fit on the Celtics with KG/PP/RA since those veterans could have spread the floor and flat out told him no shots beyond 15 ft. And in that situation, I think Smith would have worked great. Stevens doesn't need someone like Smith taking questionable shots without a lot of strong veterans to put him in line.

With the Celtics already having 3 starters (Rondo, Bradley, Sullinger) who as of right now are not proven 3 volume 3 point threats, adding Smith given his salary just doesn't make sense.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#17 » by Marvel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 am

Notanoob wrote:He Celtics fans, this is a Pistons fan. You happen to be one of the few somewhat realistic options for us to trade Josh Smith to. Obviously, this depends entirely on you keeping Rondo, which I presume you'll do.

So Pistons fans would rather keep Monroe over Smith?
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#18 » by 15th overall » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 am

The whole appeal of Smith for us would be the prospect of turning Wallace into a productive player. Otherwise we'd be sacrificing flexibility and we can't afford to do that until we've laid the foundation with our next core players in place. Plus one of our few quality players already holds down the PF spot in Sully.

Basically Gerry would have to be included for us to bite right now. I don't blame you for balking at the idea of taking on Crash, probably a smart move.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#19 » by Notanoob » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:46 am

soxfan2003 wrote:I really want the Celtics to avoid Josh Smith at this point at all costs. I realize he could probably perform much better in an ideal situation as perhaps a PF then he has in his dismal year for Detroit but the Celtics best young player is a PF. The Celtics aren't winning anything with Sullinger at C and declining Smith at PF.

2 years ago Smith would have been a good fit on the Celtics with KG/PP/RA since those veterans could have spread the floor and flat out told him no shots beyond 15 ft. And in that situation, I think Smith would have worked great. Stevens doesn't need someone like Smith taking questionable shots without a lot of strong veterans to put him in line.

With the Celtics already having 3 starters (Rondo, Bradley, Sullinger) who as of right now are not proven 3 volume 3 point threats, adding Smith given his salary just doesn't make sense.

Are you guys going to keep Bradley? And you plan on starting him too? Huh. Okay, well, I guess you've got no one at SG right now, but Bradley as a long term starter there?

And I thought that Sully was a bit of a stretch 5. Obviously I haven't watch him that much, and no, I don't think he can shoot just because he did so at the rising stars game. Still, you consider him your best young player, or does Rondo no longer count? I figured that he wasn't a franchise corner-piece simply due to his back and that whole thing with his one leg being shorter than the other by 2 inches. Has somehthing changed with regards to his injury concerns?

Obviously I'm not going to argue too hard if you don't the guy, but thanks for the response.
Marvel wrote:So Pistons fans would rather keep Monroe than Smith?
Personally, yes, and a majority of us would prefer to keep Monroe. I have a poll up to prove it, although there are a number of loud posters who would prefer Smith. The thing is, Dre can cover for Monroe a bit, and Monroe really isn't a garbage shooter, plus he still has potential to improve, and his post game and passing is much for fun to watch.
15th overall wrote:The whole appeal of Smith for us would be the prospect of turning Wallace into a productive player. Otherwise we'd be sacrificing flexibility and we can't afford to do that until we've laid the foundation with our next core players in place. Plus one of our few quality players already holds down the PF spot in Sully.

Basically Gerry would have to be included for us to bite right now. I don't blame you for balking at the idea of taking on Crash, probably a smart move.
Yeah, what I'm hoping to do is move Smith for some combination of less money (so we can make a run at Ariza or Lowry, solid two-way players who space the floor) or a mediocre player who's a better fit. I'd be willing to trade for just expirings, but obviously the front office wants to save face, and Smith really is worth a little something in return.

Like I said though, I'd be willing to take on Crash if you give us some other asset or take Jennings, but I understand if you're against it. I was just poking around to see what could happen.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#20 » by Marvel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 am

Smith was highly coveted before when KG and PP were here, not so much, if at all now. Sullinger is our PF of the future...for now and most of us are happy with him. Smith just won't be a good fit here anymore.

Return to Boston Celtics