ImageImageImage

Kevin Love Trade Rumor - Update Page 32

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Kevin Love Rumors & Trade Ideas Thread #3 

Post#481 » by truth18 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:28 pm

irie wrote:
gangreen wrote:FIRST POST!! WU HEAD // CELTIC NERD ALERT!!! I love the Celticsmy father named me after Kevin Mchale, So Wu-Head i opened up for Killah Priest in March. Let the Green Reign!!

Welcome to the forum!

Killah Priest is awesome. Cool guy too. I met him after a show he did with Chief Kamachi. Their album together is incredible

Yeah that album is ill. I met Raekwon after a show at the Middle East in Cambridge. He gave me a hit of the blunt he was smoking and shook my hand. Was pretty cool

I wish Embiid had fallen.
YOU LOSE
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#482 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Afam wrote:
15th overall wrote:Apparently Stephen A. said that Love is telling teams not to expect to keep him longterm, because he ultimately intends to go to Cleveland one way or another. Saw this on reddit, have yet to listen to the interview myself, so I'm just parroting what I've heard.

Here's the link to the interview if anyone feels like checking it out.

If that's true, then my opinion of him will change. Eff him. You not a free agent Love, so you can't be giving ultimatums on where you want to go. Love might be a prima Donna After all. We should move on from Love, if he is really telling teams this. The Wolves should just trade to another team other than Cavs, so that he doesn't get his way.

Lol. We would have all been giddy if his team of choice was the Celtics.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with Love saying this. He's doing teams a favor IMO. Don't empty your cupboards for me because I plan on leaving at the end of the year. If anything, he and his agent have been quite courteous by letting the Wolves know he's outta there.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#483 » by Afam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:51 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Afam wrote:
15th overall wrote:Apparently Stephen A. said that Love is telling teams not to expect to keep him longterm, because he ultimately intends to go to Cleveland one way or another. Saw this on reddit, have yet to listen to the interview myself, so I'm just parroting what I've heard.

Here's the link to the interview if anyone feels like checking it out.

If that's true, then my opinion of him will change. Eff him. You not a free agent Love, so you can't be giving ultimatums on where you want to go. Love might be a prima Donna After all. We should move on from Love, if he is really telling teams this. The Wolves should just trade to another team other than Cavs, so that he doesn't get his way.

Lol. We would have all been giddy if his team of choice was the Celtics.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with Love saying this. He's doing teams a favor IMO. Don't empty your cupboards for me because I plan on leaving at the end of the year. If anything, he and his agent have been quite courteous by letting the Wolves know he's outta there.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Oh please, he is not doing anyone a favor other than himself. He rather play second fiddle to Lebron, rather than be his on man. I will never respect that. I hope we don't trade for love, if this report of him only wanting to be traded to the Cavs is true. Mind you this is coming from one of Kevin Love biggest supporters. I wanted him on the Celtics, but I can't respect him nor want him on my team, if he is going to pull this type stuff. The Cavs can have him.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,099

Post#484 » by MaxwellSmart » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:34 pm

This is the move of a LOSER.
Afam
RealGM

Post#485 » by Afam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 pm

MaxwellSmart wrote:This is the move of a LOSER.

Yeah. He should go to Cavs and play second fiddle to Lebron. That's not a winners mentality to me at all. I can't believe I bought into Kevin Love is a nice guy, and appreciates the Celtics tradition etc BS. The Cavs don't scare me even with Lebron and and Love.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#486 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Wondering what took Love so long. He is under no obligation to let a poorly-run franchise like the Wolves ruin his career for him. Nor is he under any obligation to help them maximize their return and weaken his new team.

Flip has overplayed his hand, and perhaps disastrously so if Love forces the issue and causes them to end up with a deal without Wiggins in it.

Which Love likely has the power to do if he kills other trades while telling Minny he is out of town next summer.

It's what Minny deserves and I hope to hell that it happens.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#487 » by truth18 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Afam wrote:

Yeah. He should go to Cavs and play second fiddle to Lebron. That's not a winners mentality to me at all. I can't believe I bought into Kevin Love is a nice guy, and appreciates the Celtics tradition etc BS. The Cavs don't scare me even with Lebron and and Love.

Everyone respects the Celtics tradition. They have to inherently as NBA players.

I never bought into that BS. Even on the Wolves it was clear the guy was about himself and his brand. Ever since he's been ageessively marketed I've thought of him as highly questionable in regards to character. I think of him as Blake with poorer fitness and effort but greater talent and fundamentals.

But come on Afam, I've seen your posts in all these threads. You would have been/would still be ecstatic if Love came here, we all would have been.
YOU LOSE
Afam
RealGM

Post#488 » by Afam » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 pm

truth18 wrote:
Afam wrote:

Everyone respects the Celtics tradition. They have to inherently as NBA players.

I never bought into that BS. Even on the Wolves it was clear the guy was about himself and his brand. Ever since he's been ageessively marketed I've thought of him as highly questionable in regards to character. I think of him as Blake with poorer fitness and effort but greater talent and fundamentals.

But come on Afam, I've seen your posts in all these threads. You would have been/would still be ecstatic if Love came here, we all would have been.

Lmao. I wouldn't be ecstatic if he gets traded here. Obviously I'm still going to root for him to succeed , because he is a member of the celtics,. I would be happy that he is a member of the Celtics, but not much as I would be before after learning he telling teams he is not re-sign with them. He wants plans to join the Cavs in Free Agency. I don't respect players who do that. I don't care if you are KG, Lebron, Kobe, Michael Jordan etc. when Minnesota fans were questioning his lack of leadership, I really believe it. Looks like they were right.

If we traded for Love, good, if we don't, it's whatever. I couldn't careless either.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,516

Post#489 » by 165bows » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:50 pm

This may have been mentioned somewhere in here already but the other angle the Celtics could be involved is in a Ray Allen deal. Pretty sure the Cavs used their FA exceptions already and Ray will likely not want to leave money on the table again like last time. Cavs will have to send salary out to take him on above the vet minimum, maybe the Celtics can get an asset out of that. Something like Bogans to Miami, Ray to Cleveland and smaller salary and a small asset to Boston.

That gives me nearly 30 days to make lame Ray Allen trades. :lol:

Edit - never mind, looks like they would have renounced his rights to sign Deng/McRoberts.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#490 » by irie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:12 pm

How is Love telling other teams he won't reup with them a loser move? Rondo did the same thing to the Raptors and Kings last tread deadline. Is he a loser too?

If I was a team looking to trade for him and he lied and said he would re-sign even though he had plans to leave, that would irritate me more. Plus those GMs can stop wasting their time with the Wolves and move onto realistic targets. I see nothing wrong with Love being honest to those teams.

Also, it's Stephen A Smith. How true do you think this is? Not likely. Love probably just told his beloved Knicks that after their embarrassing trade offer and Smith just decided to report all teams were being told that.
|
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#491 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:33 pm

irie wrote:How is Love telling other teams he won't reup with them a loser move? Rondo did the same thing to the Raptors and Kings last tread deadline. Is he a loser too?

If I was a team looking to trade for him and he lied and said he would re-sign even though he had plans to leave, that would irritate me more. Plus those GMs can stop wasting their time with the Wolves and move onto realistic targets. I see nothing wrong with Love being honest to those teams.

Yup. And it's funny how everyone forgot that our beloved KG was picking teams too. Did people already forget that KG refused a trade to the Celts before the 2007 draft? Did they forget that he turned down a trade to the Lakers because of the feud Kobe had with the front office, and ultimately "chose" to be traded to the Celtics later on?
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#492 » by Valid » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 pm

irie wrote:How is Love telling other teams he won't reup with them a loser move? Rondo did the same thing to the Raptors and Kings last tread deadline. Is he a loser too?

Yup. And it's funny how everyone forgot that our beloved KG was picking teams too. Did people already forget that KG refused a trade to the Celts before the 2007 draft? Did they forget that he turned down a trade to the Lakers because of the feud Kobe had with the front office, and ultimately "chose" to be traded to the Celtics later on?

Except KG never asked out of Minnesota to begin with. The only reason he got on board with the Timberwolves trading him was because Glen Taylor told him he wanted to go with a youth movement, and KG realized that wouldn't be the best situation for him because he was already 12 years into his NBA career. Garnett said so himself in his introductory press conference here.

Garnett didn't just storm into the office six years into his career as a bright-eyed 25-year-old and yell, "WAHH!! TRADE ME!! TRADE ME!!!!"

Huge, HUGE difference.

I think it's funny how people forget that if it were truly up to Garnett, he never would have left Minnesota. Not at that time, anyway.

This sense of entitlement that this new generation of NBA players has is beyond appalling.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#493 » by irie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Valid wrote:

Except KG never asked out of Minnesota to begin with. The only reason he got on board with the Timberwolves trading him was because Glen Taylor told him he wanted to go with a youth movement, and KG realized that wouldn't be the best situation for him because he was already 12 years into his NBA career. Garnett said so himself in his introductory press conference here.

Garnett didn't just storm into the office six years into his career as a bright-eyed 25-year-old and yell, "WAHH!! TRADE ME!! TRADE ME!!!!"

Huge, HUGE difference.

I think it's funny how people forget that if it were truly up to Garnett, he never would have left Minnesota. Not at that time, anyway.

This sense of entitlement that this new generation of NBA players has is beyond appalling.

Is it exclusive to this generation? Kobe refused to play for anyone but the Lakers during the draft; I don't consider him this generation. Didn't Shaq asked to get traded? And Barkley? I read that Kareem wanted out as well. We all remember Pierce asking out in 07, same time as Kobe (again). Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bird try to force his way to Indiana and not play in Boston upon being drafted?

I didn't watch basketball in the 80s, but it always seems when I read about these guys they were just as entitled as the new generation. There's just not as much media exposure. But if you have a different perspective, I'm open to hear it.
|
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#494 » by Valid » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:43 pm

irie wrote:
Valid wrote:

Huge, HUGE difference.

Is it exclusive to this generation? Kobe refused to play for anyone but the Lakers during the draft; I don't consider him this generation. Didn't Shaq asked to get traded? And Barkley? I read that Kareem wanted out as well. We all remember Pierce asking out in 07, same time as Kobe (again). Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bird try to force his way to Indiana and not play in Boston upon being drafted?

I didn't watch basketball in the 80s, but it always seems when I read about these guys they were just as entitled as the new generation. There's just not as much media exposure. But if you have a different perspective, I'm open to hear it.

Everyone knows about Kobe and Barkley. Those are only two examples.

As far as Kareem, from what I have read, I don't think it was ever confirmed that he went to Milwaukee's FO and asked out. I could be wrong, but I think that it was just assumed by some people.

Shaq asked to be traded because Kobe forced him out.

Don't recall that about Bird, either.

Now, as for this new generation, it is simply foolish to think these guys aren't entitled. Let's just go over the last few years:

- LeBron
- Bosh
- Carmelo
- Dwight
- CP3
- Deron
- Love

Am I missing anyone? That's just over the course of the last few years, and that's more examples than you mentioned over a span of what, 35-40 years?

A large faction of these guys don't stay with their teams anymore. The second things get tough, they run.

It's silly to sit there and deny it.

But as for Love wanting to go to Cleveland to team up with LeBron? I think it's cute. They'll win the weak East and then just get waxed by the Spurs. It'll be fun watching Love and LeBron sulk into the locker room while Duncan is hoisting his sixth trophy after Game 4.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#495 » by sully00 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:23 pm

People need to just have a more grown up perspective on this, it is business.

Kevin Love has informed his team a year earlier than he has to that he plans to opt of his contract and is not really considering resigning with the team. Bottom line that is a courtesy the Wolves are not owed and is rarely granted because of the awkward PR situation.

Kevin Love is not willing to opt in or extend his contract for anyone. It is financially stupid for him to do so because of the rules that ownership demanded in this CBA. The Wolves will get less value and whoever trades for Love will get little security because of ownership's rules bottom line.

Now if teams are asking to be assured the Love will consider resigning with them if he is traded there what is he supposed to say? Is he supposed to lie and say yes and then bolt anyhow?

The point of the game is to win. Joining Lebron in CLE and winning a title would be awesome almost every player in the league would want to be part of that. That said if nobody plays along then they would have to clear a max salary slot next year to sign Love outside of a trade. Not going to be easy to do while also trying to appease King James desire to win a championship and only having him on 2 year window.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#496 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Valid wrote:
irie wrote:
Valid wrote:Except KG never asked out of Minnesota to begin with. The only reason he got on board with the Timberwolves trading him was because Glen Taylor told him he wanted to go with a youth movement, and KG realized that wouldn't be the best situation for him because he was already 12 years into his NBA career. Garnett said so himself in his introductory press conference here.

Huge, HUGE difference.

Everyone knows about Kobe and Barkley. Those are only two examples.

As far as Kareem, from what I have read, I don't think it was ever confirmed that he went to Milwaukee's FO and asked out. I could be wrong, but I think that it was just assumed by some people.

Shaq asked to be traded because Kobe forced him out.

Don't recall that about Bird, either.

Now, as for this new generation, it is simply foolish to think these guys aren't entitled. Let's just go over the last few years:

- LeBron
- Bosh
- Carmelo
- Dwight
- CP3
- Deron
- Love

Am I missing anyone? That's just over the course of the last few years, and that's more examples than you mentioned over a span of what, 25-30 years?

A large faction of these guys don't stay with their teams anymore. The second things get tough, they run.

It's silly to sit there and deny it.

But as for Love wanting to go to Cleveland to team up with LeBron? I think it's cute. They'll win the weak East and then just get waxed by the Spurs. It'll be fun watching Love and LeBron sulk into the locker room while Duncan is hoisting his sixth trophy after Game 4.

Kareem forced his way out. He wanted to go to New York or LA. Ask any longtime Bucks fan and they'll you. Simmons has a pretty good handle on it in his book as well.

As for players requesting trades, and having the leverage to do so - this is the landscape the owners created. Cutting down contracts from 7-8 year deals down to 4-5 years means players get to be free agents more often. Want guys to stay with one team for their whole career? How about removing the max salary limit and years allowed.

If Kahn hadn't been stupid and signed Love to a 5 year deal like he should have, Love's trade requests wouldn't have to be listened to.

As for KG - sure, he didn't request to be traded, but when it was apparent that the Wolves wanted to shed his salary, he was choosing his destination. The Lakers offered a better package than the Celtics did (Odom, Bynum, and picks), but he forced the Wolves into taking the Celtics offer. Not sure how you're going to give Love grief over wanting out and choosing his destination when KG essentially did the same thing.

Hell - look at KG's advice to LeBron after 2010.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/14/1471987/lebron-james-free-agent-knicks-cavs-kevin-garnett-loyalty

"Loyalty is something that hurts you at times, because you can't get youth back. I can honestly say that if I could go back and do my situation over, knowing what I know now with this organization, I'd have done it a little sooner."

Hilarious that we hold athletes to higher standards compared to your average Joe. People change jobs everyday, whether it's for a higher salary, or better location. Get over yourselves with that "holier than thou" attitude.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,140

Post#497 » by DarkAzcura » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:30 pm

Valid wrote:

Huge, HUGE difference.

Honestly, just on this point, I think it's going to be a long adjustment period for the fans of the NBA to get used to this. I used to be with this line of thought a few years ago, but I've realized one thing that kind of changes my whole mind about this...it's your life and your line of work..even under contract, you should have some say on your destination. It's your life after all. I think it's crazy that fans are ok with coming up with all of these trade scenarios with some of these players, and we are basically ok with uprooting their life, but when a player requests the same thing, the player has a sense of entitlement all of a sudden. Obviously they are making millions of dollars, and it probably mitigates the lack of location security you have, but it makes sense to me (that players want more control on their career's destination).

Then on the other hand, if the NBA gave players complete control, most players would probably (unfortunately) leave the midwestern/smaller markets.

Hopefully that didn't come out too harshly..it's just something I've been thinking about for some years now. At this point, I really couldn't care less if a player requests a trade or not. I think it's fair for them to do so.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#498 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 am

I still think that the cheapness of the small market owner is going to be the downfall of the small market NBA. In really how much money was really lost on the back end of max salary contracts? Especially when you factor in that almost all NBA contracts are essentially deferred salary by design. What gave the MIL and MINN's equality was the ability give a 22 year old kid a 7 or 8 year deal. Instead now they can only go 5 and the player says I would rather just do 3 and see where we stand.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#499 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:45 am

They should raise to floor to a higher percentage like 75% or something
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
57special
Ballboy
And1: 18

Post#500 » by 57special » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 am

Get it straight, people. The Wolves refused to give Love a Max contract,even though he was their best player, saying that they needed "flexibility". Instead they offered a four deal with the last being a player option. Sure enough, they bumbled their way through the first two years of his contract, making it painfully obvious that they had no chance of ever winning the West.

This whole screwup is the doing of the Wolves front office, not Love. If they had done the expected and given him a five year Max he would be locked up for three more years. Instead they dicked around, and made him feel unwanted. He saw how the Wolves treated KG, and how much time he wasted in MN. He would be an idiot to spend any more time there... Six years is enough.

And now you are blaming him for being interested in playing with the greatest player of his generation, and a young, very good, point guard that can shoot ( as opposed to Rubio)? He should go to the Celtics instead with their one good player (Rondo) who is constantly being offered up in trade by Ainge and reup with them? Really? Do you also want him to wear a hair shirt underneath his jersey and scourge himself during half time?

Return to Boston Celtics