ImageImageImage

Why Haven't We Signed Greg Monroe?!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

mdemers938
Junior
And1: 186

Why Haven't We Signed Greg Monroe?! 

Post#1 » by mdemers938 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:43 pm

How have the Celtics not been homing in on this guy? It's mind-boggling:

1. HE IS AN APPRECIATING ASSET:
Everyone is so quick to say "Ainge is stockpiling assets!!!!!"; without realizing there are 2 types of assets. Appreciating Assets (gain value with time) and Depreciating Assets(lose value with time). The Evan Turner signing drove me crazy because not only does he create a further logjam at a position that was already full, but he is a depreciating asset. He is not going to get any better, and will likely only lose value as time goes on. Greg Monroe is a young big man (one of the highest sought after types of players in the league) that is on the rise. Even if you don't think Greg Monroe is the permanent answer, he is a great asset to have to get "that" player.

2. HE HELPS SOLVE THE "NOW"
I don't think anyone would argue against that we would be a substantially better team with Greg Monroe. Not much to say here. He is leaps and bounds better than KO and Sully when you take the green glasses off. This acquisition would also at least show Rondo we are trying to do something to help him out/are doing everything we can to show him we want him around moving forward.

3. HE FILLS AN ACTUAL NEED:
REBOUNDING and SIZE. He's also a decent defender (again, better than KO/Sully). A pretty damn good athlete too (especially at his size, great at running the floor).

4. WHY NOT?:
Can anyone give me a good answer to this? "Cap-space" ****? He wants a big contract ****? I guess we'd rather wait for another opportunity that may never come and watch this season burn to ashes/Rondo sprint out the door the day the seasons over. This guy still hasn't signed with anyone and I can't think of one good reason why we aren't all over this dude...

5. BOTTOM LINE:
Monroe wasn't the best FA this off-season, but he is a realistic and very valuable player the Celtics should be trying to obtain. He is an appreciating asset, who solves multiple current needs of the Celtics. Most importantly, there is not reason not to sign him...

Thoughts? (Go easy on me peeps):
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Re: Why Haven't We Signed Greg Monroe?! 

Post#2 » by jfs1000d » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Not a great defensive player or rebounder. I like him though.
green411sv
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#3 » by green411sv » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:59 pm

The two spaces. Cap and Roster.
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#4 » by bs_and_cs » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Bottom line? We have no cap space to sign him, more importantly he has plenty of suitors and even more important than that is the fact that he is a RFA.

In theory, signing Monroe is brilliant.
In reality? It's not possible.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#5 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm

mdemers938 wrote:How have the Celtics not been homing in on this guy? It's mind-boggling:

1. HE IS AN APPRECIATING ASSET:
Everyone is so quick to say "Ainge is stockpiling assets!!!!!"; without realizing there are 2 types of assets. Appreciating Assets (gain value with time) and Depreciating Assets(lose value with time). The Evan Turner signing drove me crazy because not only does he create a further logjam at a position that was already full, but he is a depreciating asset. He is not going to get any better, and will likely only lose value as time goes on. Greg Monroe is a young big man (one of the highest sought after types of players in the league) that is on the rise. Even if you don't think Greg Monroe is the permanent answer, he is a great asset to have to get "that" player.

2. HE HELPS SOLVE THE "NOW"
I don't think anyone would argue against that we would be a substantially better team with Greg Monroe. Not much to say here. He is leaps and bounds better than KO and Sully when you take the green glasses off. This acquisition would also at least show Rondo we are trying to do something to help him out/are doing everything we can to show him we want him around moving forward.

3. HE FILLS AN ACTUAL NEED:
REBOUNDING and SIZE. He's also a decent defender (again, better than KO/Sully). A pretty damn good athlete too (especially at his size, great at running the floor).

4. WHY NOT?:
Can anyone give me a good answer to this? "Cap-space" ****? He wants a big contract ****? I guess we'd rather wait for another opportunity that may never come and watch this season burn to ashes/Rondo sprint out the door the day the seasons over. This guy still hasn't signed with anyone and I can't think of one good reason why we aren't all over this dude...

5. BOTTOM LINE:
Monroe wasn't the best FA this off-season, but he is a realistic and very valuable player the Celtics should be trying to obtain. He is an appreciating asset, who solves multiple current needs of the Celtics. Most importantly, there is not reason not to sign him...

Thoughts? (Go easy on me peeps):

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#6 » by KGboss » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 pm

bs_and_cs wrote:Bottom line? We have no cap space to sign him, more importantly he has plenty of suitors and even more important than that is the fact that he is a RFA.

Signing him isnt possible. Going through a trade is of course always possible.

That seems to be the direction Detroit may be going.
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#7 » by bs_and_cs » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:05 pm

KGboss wrote:
bs_and_cs wrote:Bottom line? We have no cap space to sign him, more importantly he has plenty of suitors and even more important than that is the fact that he is a RFA.

Signing him isnt possible. Going through a trade is of course always possible.

That seems to be the direction Detroit may be going.

Yeah, and I'm sure they are going to get many better offers than Jeff Green and a 1st for Monroe.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#8 » by GreenMachine » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Perhaps it's because he isn't worth the contract he is after? Notice how No teams are chasing him very hard, if at all?
mdemers938
Junior

Post#9 » by mdemers938 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:15 pm

No doubt/my bad --- I should've noted I was aware of the cap-space situation/assuming a S&T route to obtain him.
In regards to him wanting a lot of money, that's just the market. I'm not advocating paying guys big bucks, but sometimes you gotta pay to play and there aren't many potentially impactful FA's who would realistically come here. It just seems like a terrible front office move to not even work something out for this guy IMO.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#10 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:21 pm

it isnt black and white that Evan Turner is a depreciating asset. Im sure you thought Jordan Crawford was a depreciating asset too
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#11 » by 2Mas » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:27 pm

thebirdman wrote:http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

:lol:
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#12 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 pm

i think you collect cheap assets, but you only spend big assets if the guy is going to be part of a championship core like a ray or KG. i don't think monroe is that caliber of player. sounds like you do, but i'd say given the interest he's generated around the league most GMs aren't really so high on him. nice player but is a poor defender and not efficient enough to be a #1 scorer. love is a poor defender but he gives you 25/12, so you accommodate that. monroe's 15/9 doesn't justify building a team around him to hide his weaknesses.

yes he's clearly better than sully or KO now but come back in 2 years, i'm not so sure. monroe has been exactly the same 15 and 9 guy the last 3 years, while sully gave us 13 and 8 last year (in fewer mins) and can clearly improve. i'd rather just keep what we have instead of dumping assets and screwing up our cap just to get someone who is good but not a huge upgrade.

as for evan turner, not sure what logjam you are talking about. unless you think gerald wallace is due for some big bounceback year, we really needed a backup SF. and he's only 25, so if he puts it together he could actually replace green if we trade jeff.
GreenMachine
Head Coach
And1: 998

Post#13 » by GreenMachine » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm

mdemers938 wrote:No doubt/my bad --- I should've noted I was aware of the cap-space situation/assuming a S&T route to obtain him.
In regards to him wanting a lot of money, that's just the market. I'm not advocating paying guys big bucks, but sometimes you gotta pay to play and there aren't many potentially impactful FA's who would realistically come here. It just seems like a terrible front office move to not even work something out for this guy IMO.

So EVERY front office in the NBA is a terrible front office (since none of them are going hard after him)? Paying guys "big bucks" who aren't worth it is how you ensure you will be a terrible team for a long long time.
mdemers938
Junior

Post#14 » by mdemers938 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Guys, I'm not saying that Greg Monroe is the answer, but in a summer where everyone has been stroking Ainge for collecting assets --- this guy would immediately become a top asset for us if we were looking to create a package for "THAT" player. Worst case, he's a great complimentary piece to have on your squad. Again, our front office isn't exactly sending the best message to Rondo with these acquisitions...

In regards to the log jam at SF, we have James Young as well, and though he hasn't had much of a chance to showcase his skills due to the car accident; I have immediate concerns about his development if he's not even gonna see the floor this year.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,674

Post#15 » by Celtic Esquire » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Monroe is awful defensively and wants a big contract.

That's a salary cap disaster waiting to happen.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#16 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm

if we're paying him $12 mil per, greg monroe is not an asset, any more than jeff green is an asset at 9 mil. both are good players but not assets at those prices. if we can get monroe for the mle i'm all for it, but i don't think that's gonna happen.

james young is basically redshirting this year imo, he'll get spot minutes and maybe some d-league time. turner has a year to play his way into our future, or else we move on from turner (or green) and give young a shot next year. development doesn't necessarily require playing time in games (see perkins, k).
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#17 » by threrf23 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm

mdemers938 wrote:Guys, I'm not saying that Greg Monroe is the answer, but in a summer where everyone has been stroking Ainge for collecting assets --- this guy would immediately become a top asset for us if we were looking to create a package for "THAT" player. Worst case, he's a great complimentary piece to have on your squad. Again, our front office isn't exactly sending the best message to Rondo with these acquisitions...

What you don't seem to realize is that we can't sign Monroe without trading Sully and other assets to get him.

Monroe is an asset but he is not a cheap asset, he is not an "available" asset, and he is not a slam dunk chip there are some holes in his game, he can be a little inconsistent and as good as he is you could say he underachieves.

If rumors are accurate, it is possible that Monroe signs for one year at his QO with the intent of becoming unrestricted next offseason. Even if that doesn't happen, a better-developed more proven Sully/KO plus cap space to take back contract leaves us better equipped to acquire him (or others of his caliber) at a reasonable price come next offseason.
KJandHondo35
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#18 » by KJandHondo35 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:Monroe is awful defensively and wants a big contract.

From an OppFG% stand point even playing out of position at PF he had better numbers (51.2%) than Gorgi Dieng (51.5%), Tyson Chandler (51.5%), Dalembert (52%), Drummond (52.3%), Chris Bosh (52.4%), Kanter (52.5%), and Big Al (52.7%). So why wouldn't his overall defense improve if he could focus on playing 5 if his rim % is better than all those other Centers right now. He doens't block shots, yes thats true, but in terms of people scoring on him at the rim hes better than all those other guys. If you remove the liability of him getting his ankles broken 20+ ft from the basket by the majority of smaller/quicker PFs in today's NBA hes an Average defender.
GhostofJizzbird
Junior
And1: 79

Post#19 » by GhostofJizzbird » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:04 pm

KJandHondo35 wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:Monroe is awful defensively and wants a big contract.

From an OppFG% stand point even playing out of position at PF he had better numbers (51.2%) than Gorgi Dieng (51.5%), Tyson Chandler (51.5%), Dalembert (52%), Drummond (52.3%), Chris Bosh (52.4%), Kanter (52.5%), and Big Al (52.7%). So why wouldn't his overall defense improve if he could focus on playing 5 if his rim % is better than all those other Centers right now. He doens't block shots, yes thats true, but in terms of people scoring on him at the rim hes better than all those other guys. If you remove the liability of him getting his ankles broken 20+ ft from the basket by the majority of smaller/quicker PFs in today's NBA hes an Average defender.

and that's without mentioning the fact that he has very quick hands and generates steals at a high rate for a big man
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#20 » by OBisHalJordan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 pm

I'd trade Sullinger for Monroe, who is a more proven player than Sully and doesn't have the health concerns. Detroit probably wouldn't though. They'd probably be more interested in Green.

Return to Boston Celtics